Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13353735

Subject: "I just had to discipline my child with fear and I feel awful" Previous topic | Next topic
MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22275 posts
Mon Oct-28-19 09:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I just had to discipline my child with fear and I feel awful"

I really do try to raise her differently. To explore early without artificial ceilings. Lately she’s really begun to push boundaries with her mom. That’s what two is for
So tonight wife puts to her bed, seconds later she’s over the top rail of the bed. Something she’s never done before. Wife is scared. Puts her to bed again though tries telling her no. Closes door.
Seconds later I hear thud, crying, knocking
I tell my wife I got this. So I ask her to come to dada. She says “up” I say no and convince her to climb out like she did a second ago.
She starts doing it and gets stuck. And after about a minute or so she’s kinda literally on the rails about do I follow through or not, because she knows that’s a no.
So I let her keep trying for another minute and as soon as she gets that leg over there I give her a sudden “growl!” real loud. She bursts into tears. Then I try to get to her to do it a second time. She does. Same thing
And she CRIED.
Cried like she was in physical pain. And I know this kid, that was a cry from the heart. So then I spent the next few minutes talking to her and consoling her. And eventually we found peace, but man, I’m hurting
I broke trust, but I couldn’t just let her get hurt to learn, and short of that I didn’t know what else to do.
But man. That’s my buddy.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
You’ll be aiight
Oct 28th 2019
This is coming from a cat with no kids...
Oct 30th 2019
You have to be the bad guy if you are a good parent.
Oct 30th 2019
That second fall should’ve scared her ass
Oct 30th 2019
Iono man. When they start climbing out the crib that might mean it's ti...
Oct 30th 2019
All of our stuff is still in storage
Oct 30th 2019
Our 2 year old had her wall down since she was 1.5 years old
Oct 30th 2019
You disciplined. You're 100% ahead of the game, regardless.
Oct 30th 2019
First and foremost, you are a great parent. Period
Oct 30th 2019
Co-sign this...
Oct 30th 2019
oh no worries
Oct 30th 2019
Thanks. These next few years are going to be a challenge
Oct 30th 2019
that build'em up after the tear down is really important
Oct 30th 2019
^^^^pretty much^^^^
Oct 30th 2019
^^^^ everything she said
Oct 31st 2019
beat her.
Oct 30th 2019
D-
Oct 30th 2019
imo raising children takes all the tools in the box at some point or oth...
Oct 30th 2019
you'll be alright
Oct 31st 2019
Had to *shrugs*
Nov 01st 2019
You Betta Put Fear in them!!
Nov 01st 2019

hip bopper
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
7385 posts
Mon Oct-28-19 09:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "You’ll be aiight"
In response to Reply # 0

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22292 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 10:42 AM

2. "This is coming from a cat with no kids..."
In response to Reply # 0

Parents, do you think it's OK to sometimes be the bad guy in order to teach your kids an important lesson? Like Meat's story, would you consider breaking a trust with your kid in order to make them understand something that you consider crucially important?

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79817 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 10:52 AM

3. "You have to be the bad guy if you are a good parent. "
In response to Reply # 2

There is no way to be the good guy when a kid is 2 and doesn’t understand trying to climb up a bookshelf or touch a stove will harm them.

My daughter is 4 and when I tell her no and she says “I’m not your friend” that shit doesn’t even bother me. Damn right I’m not your friend. I’m your parent. You can’t unbuckle your seatbelt whole the car is moving.

I scared my kid once while we were playing. I jumped around the corner to surprise her and she cried like I was a monster.

Few minutes later she forgot all about it.

I definitely feel bad when I know she is upset with me or maybe I shouted because she didn’t listen the first 5 times I said stop doing XYZ.

Parenting is a delicate balance.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

MEAT
22275 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 11:09 AM

4. "That second fall should’ve scared her ass"
In response to Reply # 2

She audibly fell in the dark and landed right on her goofy ass elbow
But nope
Pain wasn’t a deterrent.

I/we’ve since followed up positive reinforcement
She got a sticker yesterday morning for not climbing out and one this morning
We’ll see if she tries the climb out tonight when my wife puts her to bed as she’s less prone to test me
Last night I put her to bed and though she objected, she didn’t even hint at climbing out.

------

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49515 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 11:18 AM

5. "Iono man. When they start climbing out the crib that might mean it's ti..."
In response to Reply # 0

to take one of the crib walls down so they can just get in and out.

Even with the wall down you can teach them to stay in the bed.

But let me chill with the backseat parenting.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

MEAT
22275 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 11:23 AM

6. "All of our stuff is still in storage"
In response to Reply # 5

The fact she’s been in this small crib this long is a miracle of a good kid
It was too small for her four months ago when she got here (it’s my nieces old crib)
We met with a realtor Monday and now we’re in the house hunting process. So we’ll see how this goes.
Need to get my child in her bed and her own space.

------

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79817 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 11:52 AM

7. "Our 2 year old had her wall down since she was 1.5 years old"
In response to Reply # 5

Been thru so many cycles.

First she was good.

Then she would get up and sleep in the doorway.

Then she was good.

Last week she started throwing fits and wouldn’t lay down. Now we realized just hushing her and assuring her we are right in the living room seems to calm her down.

Her older sister is on the same room.

Nap time tho... you never know. Might come in and see the chair turned over and all the toys in the middle of the floor.

Kids man.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

rdhull
Charter member
33144 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 12:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "You disciplined. You're 100% ahead of the game, regardless."
In response to Reply # 0

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35879 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 12:08 PM

9. "First and foremost, you are a great parent. Period"
In response to Reply # 0

the simple fact that your even self-analyzing about it speaks volumes

2nd, you're going to consistently and constantly make mistakes as a parent. its a part of the journey. you know your child and its not for any of us to tell you if you were wrong or right. you did what you felt you had to do in the moment. then you get to decide if you will do the same next time.

you're awesome

d

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22292 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 12:41 PM

10. "Co-sign this..."
In response to Reply # 9

Just to be clear...I wasn't trying to criticize or analyze anyone's parenting. The fact that it broke his heart to deal with his daughter that way shows how much he loves her.

My question was just something that came to mind while reading the post.

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35879 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 12:50 PM

11. "oh no worries"
In response to Reply # 10

i hadn't read any replies before i wrote mine so i wasn't referring to anything you wrote

d

MEAT
22275 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 01:20 PM

12. "Thanks. These next few years are going to be a challenge "
In response to Reply # 9

As a baby baby you can her by with just positive reinforcement.
But now we’re entering a period of setting limits, and boundaries, and enforcing a negative.
I think about how my father did it, and I can’t recall a time in life where he ever built me back up after enforcement. He left those kinds of things to my mom. And as a result I’ve never felt love from that man or trusted him. Mentally I now know that we have love for each other. But from a feeling perspective I don’t really feel for him.
And I’d hate to be that man in my daughters life when she’s going to have a lifetime of men not to trust or love.

------

tariqhu
Charter member
17911 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 03:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "that build'em up after the tear down is really important "
In response to Reply # 12

in mending fences. kids tend to forget things quickly when we've made a mistake or gone too far, but they'll remember those things at some point. adding some positive to that memory helps them as they process that same incident later. it also builds trust for them to come back to you since you'll listen, even if they've gotten in an uncomfortable situation.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17897 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 03:23 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "^^^^pretty much^^^^"
In response to Reply # 9

parenting is on-the-job training.

As long as you're consistently measuring yourself, your progress and your decisions, you'll be alright.

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.

thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41504 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 04:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "^^^^ everything she said"
In response to Reply # 9

A good parent does the best he/she can with the skills he/she has.... this shit is trials and errors man.... just hang in there

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

SeV
Charter member
50240 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 03:25 PM

15. "beat her."
In response to Reply # 0

DALLAS LAKERICKS LETS GO!!

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 03:49 PM

16. "D-"
In response to Reply # 15

https://media.giphy.com/media/K7xiWv2hrd8YM/giphy.gif

not saying you should up your game but without a doubt that is some real half assed trollery

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 05:54 PM

17. "imo raising children takes all the tools in the box at some point or oth..."
In response to Reply # 0

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 02:02 PM

18. "you'll be alright"
In response to Reply # 0

remember this event, cause you'll probly use this story when you have to teach her something else when she's older.

keep going, bro.

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

jdub1313
Charter member
4732 posts
Fri Nov-01-19 09:28 AM

20. "Had to *shrugs*"
In response to Reply # 0

keep fighting the good fight.

We are parents of soon to be 9yr old twins (M/F), easy this shit aint. But don't stop. Especially in Trumps america LOL

Mori
Charter member
3529 posts
Fri Nov-01-19 09:44 AM

21. " You Betta Put Fear in them!!"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Nov-01-19 09:44 AM by Mori

Good parents know the real deal about life. Your job is to protect her at this young age!

I see kids with no fear for authority or danger and those kids have all kinds of broken elbows, scratches etc. As they get older, they are losers, aimless, trouble makers. That shit starts hella early. By the time these are kids in preschool and don't fear or respect boundaries, the parents deal with all kinds of bullshit. I am not spending any time in the hospital because I was afraid of hurting a 2 year olds feelings.

My daughter is absolutely fearful of consequences. Fear is an animal instinct. Humans have logic but kids can't get those smarts until 5/6 years old.

Until now, if you try to sweet talk the baby into NOT jumping to her death from the bed rails, you will be an idiot parent.

Rise & Shine
Thrive & Grind
Heart & Mind

Lobby General Discussion topic #13353735 Previous topic | Next topic