Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13353107

Subject: "The Complete Moderate's Guide to Healthcare (video)" Previous topic | Next topic
mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16415 posts
Wed Oct-23-19 03:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Complete Moderate's Guide to Healthcare (video)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44mvkMqrW4U

i like watching this guys videos. i think he did a decent job of explaining this. its a long video but it does help put things in perspective.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
insurance companies owning hospitals/practices
Oct 24th 2019
yearly MOOP
Oct 24th 2019
People should pay for their own costs up until a certain number.
Oct 24th 2019
RE: People should pay for their own costs up until a certain number.
Oct 24th 2019
      RE: People should pay for their own costs up until a certain number.
Nov 01st 2019
urban institute - Health Reform: How Various Reform Options Compare
Oct 24th 2019
depends on your view of healthcare...
Oct 24th 2019
*bookmarking* Thank you so much for posting these (video, UI report)
Oct 25th 2019
i got a calculator for that
Nov 01st 2019
Warren’s Perpetual Medicare Head Tax Is Unworkable and Bad
Nov 01st 2019
      this could work
Nov 01st 2019
      LOL at a Bernie automaton calling anyone's plan "unworkable."
Nov 01st 2019
      Bernie's not afraid to admit taxes will go up for people...
Nov 01st 2019
           "Warren's too scared to provide that soundbite."
Nov 01st 2019
      I'll never understand why you attack Warren so much
Nov 01st 2019
           Sanders plan to pay for it
Nov 01st 2019
                yup.
Nov 01st 2019

mista k5
16415 posts
Thu Oct-24-19 10:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "insurance companies owning hospitals/practices"
In response to Reply # 0

that is very troubling to me. i did not know or think about this before the video.

seems like it is true.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/hospital-management-administration/the-quiet-takeover-insurers-buying-physicians-and-hospitals.html

https://www.modernhealthcare.com/article/20180602/NEWS/180609985/reigniting-the-physicians-arms-race-insurers-are-buying-practices

the flip side, hospitals offering their own insurance
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/02/hospitals-can-kill-the-health-insurance-industry-commentary.html

the claim he makes that insurance companies get with hospitals, find out what their cost for procedures are then convince the hospital to increase this charge for people not covered by their insurance is also very troubling. need to verify this.

mista k5
16415 posts
Thu Oct-24-19 10:46 AM

2. "yearly MOOP"
In response to Reply # 0

this is dumb right? if you have a procedure done in december and need continuing care the next month you now need to come out of pocket more for the same incident.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49426 posts
Thu Oct-24-19 12:53 PM

3. "People should pay for their own costs up until a certain number. "
In response to Reply # 0

That cap can be progressive.

The government should pay for catastrophic medical costs.

People should have to buy insurance (or bake it into taxes) to care for everything in between.

No insurance companies.

Boom Done.

Oh yeah and all costs should be transparent and entered into a huge database everyone can see and we can shop for care.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

mista k5
16415 posts
Thu Oct-24-19 03:19 PM

4. "RE: People should pay for their own costs up until a certain number. "
In response to Reply # 3

>That cap can be progressive.
do you mean out of pocket expenses on top of premiums? or would you consider premiums being part of paying for their own costs?

>
>The government should pay for catastrophic medical costs.
>
>People should have to buy insurance (or bake it into taxes) to
>care for everything in between.
>
>No insurance companies.
>
>Boom Done.
>
>Oh yeah and all costs should be transparent and entered into a
>huge database everyone can see and we can shop for care.
>

this is big, theres no reason people should be paying significantly more for the same procedure with similar circumstances.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49426 posts
Fri Nov-01-19 10:41 AM

11. "RE: People should pay for their own costs up until a certain number. "
In response to Reply # 4
Fri Nov-01-19 10:42 AM by Buddy_Gilapagos

>>That cap can be progressive.
>do you mean out of pocket expenses on top of premiums? or
>would you consider premiums being part of paying for their own
>costs?

I think everyone should pay a premium that pays into the national system but it shouldn't be that high. It should be like auto insurance numbers and wealthier people pay more into it.

This amount is separate and aside from your deductible.

>
>>
>>The government should pay for catastrophic medical costs.
>>
>>People should have to buy insurance (or bake it into taxes)
>to
>>care for everything in between.
>>
>>No insurance companies.
>>
>>Boom Done.
>>
>>Oh yeah and all costs should be transparent and entered into
>a
>>huge database everyone can see and we can shop for care.
>>
>
>this is big, theres no reason people should be paying
>significantly more for the same procedure with similar
>circumstances.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

mista k5
16415 posts
Thu Oct-24-19 05:44 PM

5. "urban institute - Health Reform: How Various Reform Options Compare"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Oct-24-19 05:44 PM by mista k5

trying to wrap my head around this.

Abstract
https://www.urban.org/research/publication/incremental-comprehensive-health-reform-how-various-reform-options-compare-coverage-and-costs

Brief
https://www.commonwealthfund.org/sites/default/files/2019-10/Blumberg_comparing_reform_options_building_ACA_single_payer_db.pdf

https://www.urban.org/sites/default/files/2019/10/15/from_incremental_to_comprehensive_health_insurance_reform-how_various_reform_options_compare_on_coverage_and_costs.pdf

ive read through the abstract and brief and going through the report. i like that this is comparing, to a decent detail, the different proposals. by their own admission they are not painting the full picture. primarily they dont consider how M4A would pay for itself.

"We do not estimate specific revenue raising approaches to fund any of the modeled reforms; we restrict our financial estimates to the effects on spending
because revenues can be raised in many different ways with very different distributional implications, depending upon the approach taken. "

they also seem to focus on federal spending instead of net spending in their abstract and brief.

only on the blog post do they highlight national spending instead of federal spending.
https://www.urban.org/urban-wire/dont-confuse-changes-federal-health-spending-national-health-spending

"For this approach to reform, federal spending would increase by $34 trillion over 10 years, but health spending by individuals, employers, and state governments would decrease by $27 trillion, so national health spending would increase by $7 trillion over the same 10-year period, from $52 to $59 trillion."

regardless its good to see how many people would be covered under each proposal and have some numbers to go with it.

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Thu Oct-24-19 10:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "depends on your view of healthcare..."
In response to Reply # 0

a right or privilege?
I find it weird that some believe it’s a right, but then argue about the taxes.

kfine
Member since Jan 11th 2009
2218 posts
Fri Oct-25-19 08:27 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "*bookmarking* Thank you so much for posting these (video, UI report) "
In response to Reply # 0

About to finish the video and start my way through the report.

I like a lot of the questions you're asking too.

mista k5
16415 posts
Fri Nov-01-19 10:01 AM

8. "i got a calculator for that"
In response to Reply # 0

https://elizabethwarren.com/calculator/medicare-for-all?source=soc-WB-ew-tw-rollout-20191101

and the plan to pay for it
https://assets.ctfassets.net/4ubxbgy9463z/27ao9rfB6MbQgGmaXK4eGc/d06d5a224665324432c6155199afe0bf/Medicare_for_All_Revenue_Letter___Appendix.pdf?source=soc-web-ew-tw-rollout-20191101

reaction
Member since Aug 09th 2019
315 posts
Fri Nov-01-19 10:13 AM

9. "Warren’s Perpetual Medicare Head Tax Is Unworkable and Bad"
In response to Reply # 8

https://www.peoplespolicyproject.org/2019/11/01/warrens-perpetual-medicare-head-tax-is-unworkable-and-bad/

That's in addition to the fact that her plan repeatedly says it's a "long term goal" instead of the 4 year Senate bill or 2 year House bill.

mista k5
16415 posts
Fri Nov-01-19 10:28 AM

10. "this could work"
In response to Reply # 9

While it’s clear that Warren’s permanent Medicare Head Tax is unworkable and bad, I do think a temporary head tax that transitioned into an employer-side payroll tax could work. To do this, you would start it off the same way Warren does by requiring every employer to pay 98 percent of their per-employee health care costs prior to Medicare for All (call this the maintenance-of-effort (MOE) payment). Then, for every subsequent year, you would phase-in the payroll taxes by a couple percentage points a year, allowing employers to deduct that payroll tax from their MOE Payment. After a few years of this, the payroll tax would get large enough to subsume the MOE Payments, which will be eliminated.

I considered this approach when I was producing my own M4A financing plan, and I think it is fine as a transitionary device, though I did not select it myself.

the transition period of all plans concern me. i have not read that warren is proposing extending the transition timeline. only speculation that she would since she says she will examine it and make an alternate proposal for it.

"But she did allow for one potential future tweak, saying in the Medium post that her team now intends to draw up its own transition plan.

"My transition plan will take seriously and address substantively the concerns of unions, individuals with private insurance, hospitals, people who work for private health insurers, and medical professionals who worry about what a new system will mean for them," Warren wrote."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/01/politics/elizabeth-warren-medicare-for-all-financing-plan/index.html

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Fri Nov-01-19 10:42 AM

12. "LOL at a Bernie automaton calling anyone's plan "unworkable.""
In response to Reply # 9

Bernie avoids this kind of criticism by just never getting around to explaining the details of how his plans work.

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57006 posts
Fri Nov-01-19 02:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "Bernie's not afraid to admit taxes will go up for people..."
In response to Reply # 12

....Warren is too scared to provide that soundbite, so we get the tip toeing all this time, and now this plan

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Fri Nov-01-19 02:35 PM

17. ""Warren's too scared to provide that soundbite.""
In response to Reply # 15

^ That is the responsibility of a politician. To know what soundbites need to be avoided in order to still accomplish something.

The plan itself is make-believe for either Bernie OR Warren. Bernie's got people thinking he'll raise middle-class taxes for something that he'll never accomplish anyway.

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4883 posts
Fri Nov-01-19 11:31 AM

13. "I'll never understand why you attack Warren so much"
In response to Reply # 9
Fri Nov-01-19 11:33 AM by Stadiq

Does Bernie have a detailed plan like this?

Either way, why oh why don't you spend more time attacking Biden, Pete, etc?

Have you posted Pete attacks that I have missed?

If Bernie had to drop out for whatever reason, wouldn't Warren be your next choice?

Or is it Bernie or bust?

I just don't get it. It comes across as cultish.

You can certainly prefer Bernie, but jesus man. Bernie's way or nothing makes no sense to me.

reaction
Member since Aug 09th 2019
315 posts
Fri Nov-01-19 12:33 PM

14. "Sanders plan to pay for it"
In response to Reply # 13

https://www.sanders.senate.gov/download/medicare-for-all-2019-financing?id=860FD1B9-3E8A-4ADD-8C1F-0DEDC8D45BC1&download=1&inline=file

I don't know if I can make it any more clear. We are looking at a once in a lifetime candidate/movement with an unprecedented track record of 50 years of consistency. Warren has a store full of red flags that I've talked about many times before, a reformist that you can't trust and is trying to co-opt an existing movement is not the one to upend a system that is entrenched. The bottom line is this:

You want a non zero chance of M4A in the next 5 years, free college, complete student debt cancellation, major criminal justice reform, appropriately funded Green New Deal there's only one choice. Any other choice only treats the symptoms and not the root of Trumpism.

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Fri Nov-01-19 02:32 PM

16. "yup."
In response to Reply # 14

Lobby General Discussion topic #13353107 Previous topic | Next topic