Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13352631

Subject: "Music that shocks you back into the High School mind (nostalgia)" Previous topic | Next topic
handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Fri Oct-18-19 03:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Music that shocks you back into the High School mind (nostalgia)"

Man, I just heard The Cure's song Charlotte Sometimes from their 1986 concert film and my brain warped back in time to 1987. I felt like I was actually back in time - it's so weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUSy0aDzGhk#t=27m10s

Any songs that do the same for you?

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
It's usually specific songs...
Oct 21st 2019
I loose my mind every time I hear New Jack Swing.
Oct 21st 2019
heres a few...to be in highschool and house partying hard hearing all
Oct 21st 2019
Ohhh the list is long
Oct 21st 2019
We're around the same age...
Oct 22nd 2019
*stands in this line*
Oct 26th 2019
Whip Appeal - Babyface
Oct 22nd 2019
Two Occasions
Oct 22nd 2019
      ^^^ real serious
Oct 24th 2019
      This was my first real appreciation for slow songs
Oct 24th 2019
           man that 2 occasions was so cold. face hit that high note and had niggas
Oct 24th 2019
                Oh my. Yeah, that Ready or Not was flames.
Oct 25th 2019
      Anniversary came out the beginning of my senior year
Oct 24th 2019
Rae Cuban Linx, or any alt-rock of the time....
Oct 22nd 2019
SpottieOttieDopalicious
Oct 22nd 2019
^
Oct 24th 2019
RE: SpottieOttieDopalicious
Oct 25th 2019
Jazzy 5 (f/ Afrika Bambataa) - Jazzy Sensation
Oct 24th 2019
Player’s Holiday - TWDY is an example for me
Oct 24th 2019
I'm from Miami, any song by 2 Live Crew, Trick Daddy, Trina,
Oct 25th 2019
man...when throw that D used to come on in the party...its a wrap
Oct 25th 2019
Kurupt - girls all pause
Oct 27th 2019
Lil' Louis & The World!
Oct 28th 2019
I got to see Lil Louis dj about 2 years ago
Oct 30th 2019
LEGEND!!!!
Oct 30th 2019
man, I have a whole 89-93 playlist
Oct 29th 2019

Sleepy300
Member since Dec 15th 2003
264 posts
Mon Oct-21-19 08:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "It's usually specific songs..."
In response to Reply # 0

vs the ones social media plays out to define 'your era'. Technology and music media outlets really make it hard to have nostalgia b/c you can damn near play it anytime you want...that said:

Anytime I hear - Jodeci's 'Cry 4 U', it takes me back sitting on my mom's front porch with my walkman listening to the single. Same for Diary of a Mad Band but it started with that single to me.

BlackMoon 'Enta tha Stage' - the entire album was a HS walkman soundtrack to me, LOL

Rap wise - GZA's Cold World and Shadowboxing takes me back to waiting at the bus stop in the winter

Random - Something for the People 'All I do' - reminds me of High School for whatever reason.

There are plenty of others: NAS, The purple tape, Group Home, etc (both popular and personal) that remind me of HS the moment the beat drops.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Check ya self, what percentage is you? (c) Jay-Z

"I mean yeah I be lurking and shit...but I'm saying though..."

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49419 posts
Mon Oct-21-19 08:51 AM

2. "I loose my mind every time I hear New Jack Swing. "
In response to Reply # 0

Which really isn't high school but takes me back to a magical time.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10145 posts
Mon Oct-21-19 09:38 AM

3. "heres a few...to be in highschool and house partying hard hearing all"
In response to Reply # 0

this stuff during the time when it was current cant really be explained. its has to be like being a teen when hendrix etc was poppin. hearing any of this stuff immediately takes me back and makes me smile on the inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7T2BzVzrxA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS4RpBR0Zn0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t1zgmjBRjA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjJvBarVRss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dXM3efa6_4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0Sy4twXSn0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SmQqFagQ2A

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79600 posts
Mon Oct-21-19 09:47 AM

4. "Ohhh the list is long"
In response to Reply # 0

Nite and Day
Hold On to Your Love
Black Steel in the hour of Chaos
Love is a House
Toms Diner
Minds Playing Tricks on Me
Poison
Can You Stand the Rain
Kissing Game

I started going to the 18 and under clubs in HS so these songs bring back grinding, getting numbers, fighting in the parking lot..

Also warming up before basketball games and the bus rides on away games. I kept a Walkman at all times in HS.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22290 posts
Tue Oct-22-19 11:59 AM

8. "We're around the same age..."
In response to Reply # 4

I can relate to all of this because we were doing the same thing (I wasn't on the hoop squad tho). Even each of these songs you picked puts me right back into high school.

>Nite and Day
>Hold On to Your Love
>Black Steel in the hour of Chaos
>Love is a House
>Toms Diner
>Minds Playing Tricks on Me
>Poison
>Can You Stand the Rain
>Kissing Game
>
>I started going to the 18 and under clubs in HS so these songs
>bring back grinding, getting numbers, fighting in the parking
>lot..
>
>Also warming up before basketball games and the bus rides on
>away games. I kept a Walkman at all times in HS.

Krispee
Member since May 23rd 2010
3816 posts
Sat Oct-26-19 08:22 AM

21. "*stands in this line* "
In response to Reply # 4

LOVE IS A HOUSE

*weeps*

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13573 posts
Tue Oct-22-19 11:39 AM

5. "Whip Appeal - Babyface"
In response to Reply # 0

I rarely hear this song anymore, so when I do I'm automatically transported back to high school.

Most of the other songs have been so played during the years that I no longer associate them with back in the day.

legsdiamond
79600 posts
Tue Oct-22-19 11:55 AM

7. "Two Occasions "
In response to Reply # 5

That was my joint. Back when Babyface was in The Deal.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

mikediggz
10145 posts
Thu Oct-24-19 10:40 AM

11. "^^^ real serious"
In response to Reply # 7

legsdiamond
79600 posts
Thu Oct-24-19 03:36 PM

14. "This was my first real appreciation for slow songs"
In response to Reply # 11

also prolly the first one I dug that had a video and didn’t feel like it was for old people.

mikediggz
10145 posts
Thu Oct-24-19 04:07 PM

16. "man that 2 occasions was so cold. face hit that high note and had niggas"
In response to Reply # 14
Thu Oct-24-19 04:07 PM by mikediggz

singin like american idol auditions lol. then later after 7 hit with ready or not and it was the same feelin all over again

legsdiamond
79600 posts
Fri Oct-25-19 09:14 AM

17. "Oh my. Yeah, that Ready or Not was flames. "
In response to Reply # 16

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13573 posts
Thu Oct-24-19 11:40 AM

13. "Anniversary came out the beginning of my senior year"
In response to Reply # 7
Thu Oct-24-19 11:41 AM by flipnile

I remember that more for late nights when the radio would play the full LONG version and I would just zone the hell out dreaming about the future and singing this to the future mrs. flipnile one day.

KnowOne
Charter member
39945 posts
Tue Oct-22-19 11:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Rae Cuban Linx, or any alt-rock of the time...."
In response to Reply # 0

I was deep in my alt-rock phase in HS so any No Doubt, Smashing Pumpkins, Offspring, etc.

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23882 posts
Tue Oct-22-19 03:10 PM

9. "SpottieOttieDopalicious"
In response to Reply # 0

Damn near missing band practice to get Aquemini and having that song blow my fuckin mind.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

naame
Charter member
21018 posts
Thu Oct-24-19 10:14 AM

10. "^"
In response to Reply # 9

America has imported more warlord theocracy from Afghanistan than it has exported democracy.

Sleepy300
Member since Dec 15th 2003
264 posts
Fri Oct-25-19 09:37 AM

19. "RE: SpottieOttieDopalicious"
In response to Reply # 9

That was freshman year of college for me...I remember sitting in the dorm w/ my boys tipsy...and then this came on...*mind blown*

1998 was a good year for music: X, Jay-Z Vol 2, Lauryn Hill, Aquemini - soundtrack to my HS graduation > summer > Fall of freshman year

bigkarma
Charter member
7859 posts
Thu Oct-24-19 11:33 AM

12. "Jazzy 5 (f/ Afrika Bambataa) - Jazzy Sensation"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Oct-24-19 11:34 AM by bigkarma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qjpSz6DDAk

Every once in a while the old school hip station on SiriusXM will play a REALLY early rap track, and while some of these cuts I haven't heard since 9th grade...I remember every damn word.

Growing up in Atlanta, in the 80's, we really only got the really mainstream rap records. The dominant music of my high school years was primarily funk and new wave with a sprinkling of hip-hop.

My little crew of proto-hip hop heads had to truly DIG to get authentic hip-hop. This was all pre-internet so I mean we had to DIG.

One of my buddies was a Philly transplant, who would get his old friends to mail him battle tapes, and we found a little mom & pop record store that would order the latest 12 inch singles from NYC.

...good memories..

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18637 posts
Thu Oct-24-19 03:51 PM

15. "Player’s Holiday - TWDY is an example for me"
In response to Reply # 0

I spent a week in San Jose during that summer and heard that on the radio all the time. Back home, I’d only seen the video on BET here and there. I hear it now, it takes me right back to listening to the radio out west for that week.

Songs like that, that I heard a decent amount back then and associate with a specific memory, and then never heard again for many years until it became possible to play anything at anytime.

Another example would be Ja Rule’s first album....I rode back from senior skip day with a couple girls and they played that damn album and Q-Tip’s first solo the whole way. Now Tip I listened to on my own at times, and would go back to that album over the years so if I hear it now I don’t really associate it with the time period as strongly. Where Ja Rule - I never listened to that album again and really haven’t heard the singles or anything very often either since ‘99, so if I were to hear “Holla Holla” or something, it takes me straight back to that car ride.

lsymone
Member since Nov 03rd 2007
7401 posts
Fri Oct-25-19 09:34 AM

18. "I'm from Miami, any song by 2 Live Crew, Trick Daddy, Trina,"
In response to Reply # 0

Uncle Luke, 69 Boys, DJ Magic Mike, thrown in some Gloria Estefan (Miami Sound Machine) and Jon Secada in the mix, I'm instantly back in a high fan ponytail, bamboo earrings, a nokia flip phone, clear jelly shoes and a phat farm pink velvet jacket.

take a message

mikediggz
10145 posts
Fri Oct-25-19 03:01 PM

20. "man...when throw that D used to come on in the party...its a wrap"
In response to Reply # 18

grey
Member since Apr 04th 2003
2231 posts
Sun Oct-27-19 11:57 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
22. "Kurupt - girls all pause "
In response to Reply # 0

Krispee
Member since May 23rd 2010
3816 posts
Mon Oct-28-19 07:30 AM

23. "Lil' Louis & The World!"
In response to Reply # 0

we danced to sooo much Lil' Louis at our HS dance shows

French Kiss
War Games
Insecure
Blackout
Frequency
Video Clash

Digital Underground - Sex Packets
Quincy Jones - Back on the Block
Sade - Stronger than Pride

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 09:50 AM

25. "I got to see Lil Louis dj about 2 years ago"
In response to Reply # 23

He dropped a hint of "Blackout" and I almost ripped all the hair outta my head.

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

#2dopebrothersandastackofwax

https://www.instagram.com/bobgeorge87

https://www.instagram.com/thirtythree.three/

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 12:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
26. "LEGEND!!!!"
In response to Reply # 23

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://www.Tupreme.com

murderbear
Member since Feb 26th 2012
2087 posts
Tue Oct-29-19 05:56 AM

24. "man, I have a whole 89-93 playlist"
In response to Reply # 0

I happened to find an Acura Legend coupe in the internet in great condition, and seriously kicked around the idea of getting it.

I envisioned my playlist, a polo rugby and some Girbauds, me picking up "fly honeys" from every bus stop...

then reality kicked in, and I used the money for my daughter's college tuition installment.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13352631 Previous topic | Next topic