Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13352524

Subject: "android folks, what kinda phone you got?" Previous topic | Next topic
tariqhu
Charter member
17878 posts
Fri Oct-18-19 08:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"android folks, what kinda phone you got?"

my old ass s7 is starting to flicker. plus the whole back is cracked. lol

anyway, this pixel 3 is $499 right now.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Pixel 1--just preordered a Pixel 4
Oct 18th 2019
I kinda want that pixel 4.
Oct 18th 2019
I'm highly tempted to get a Pixel 4.
Oct 18th 2019
      the Essential is probably one of the best supported 'old' phones out the...
Oct 18th 2019
           I definitely can't complain on the support.
Oct 18th 2019
i got the note 10+
Oct 18th 2019
I reluctantly got my s7.
Oct 18th 2019
      im locked into too many of their features to switch
Oct 18th 2019
Pixel 3xl and I love it.
Oct 18th 2019
I agree that the finger prints should still be an option.
Oct 18th 2019
Note 2
Oct 18th 2019
Paging Dr Claw
Oct 18th 2019
iPhone 11 Pro Max....
Oct 18th 2019
yeah...get outta here lol
Oct 18th 2019
      nah, my 1st iPhone. I've been #Android for YEARS. Work phone is still a ...
Oct 18th 2019
           My first iphone as well...and the keyboard is giving me fits, lol
Oct 18th 2019
galaxy A10e
Oct 18th 2019
Moto g5 plus
Oct 18th 2019
yep
Oct 18th 2019
A new S9 and an Xz1 compact
Oct 18th 2019
I definitely want an older model.
Oct 18th 2019
      What's the science behind buying a phone outright in 2019?
Oct 18th 2019
           the older phones are just cheaper overall.
Oct 18th 2019
My hot garbage ASUS died so now I'm in a refurb S7
Oct 18th 2019
What's the MP on that Asus?
Oct 18th 2019
      take a look at the ASUS Zenfone 6
Oct 18th 2019
Android wise?
Oct 18th 2019
good shit Doc.
Oct 18th 2019

Jay Doz
Member since Dec 13th 2005
8663 posts
Fri Oct-18-19 08:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Pixel 1--just preordered a Pixel 4"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm probably a dummy for preordering a Pixel device, but I drank the kool aid

-------
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have." - TR

tariqhu
Charter member
17878 posts
Fri Oct-18-19 09:18 AM

2. "I kinda want that pixel 4. "
In response to Reply # 1

but I'm cheap and hate paying premium prices for phones. so this deal on the pixel 3 looks about right to me.

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Fri Oct-18-19 03:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
24. "I'm highly tempted to get a Pixel 4."
In response to Reply # 1

My Essential is still working like a champ. But I just passed the 2 year mark with it so I'm feeling like I have license to get something new. I'm a consumer, I wanna consume.

I'm a little skeptical about how they're turning ALL security over to the facial recognition, taking away the fingerprint sensor. My bank is pretty small, so who knows if they'll ever get around to adding that option to their app. And I don't want to be forced into typing in passwords again.

It kinda seems like the ingredients of a classic Google error. They introduced a lot of new hardware to make the facial recognition (and radar) work, and that's fine for THAT phone, but Google is trying to build an ecosystem with multiple hardware makers. They can't just switch up the technology at the drop of a hat like Apple can.

But I'm tired of needing to take an SLR with me if I ever want good photos. And I'm honestly interested in the pixel's low-light photography options. I like low-light photos and occasional astrophotography, so despite my reservations (and the fact that I don't NEED a new phone), I'm curious.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Fri Oct-18-19 04:14 PM

25. "the Essential is probably one of the best supported 'old' phones out the..."
In response to Reply # 24

>But I'm tired of needing to take an SLR with me if I ever want
>good photos. And I'm honestly interested in the pixel's
>low-light photography options. I like low-light photos and
>occasional astrophotography, so despite my reservations (and
>the fact that I don't NEED a new phone), I'm curious.

and I think you can actually install GCam (the Google camera software) on that phone so you can kind of have the Google camera experience?

Something to think about.

I was really bummed by Google's stubbornness with internal storage. With the 3a I have to take my iPod with me like it's the good ol' days.

But going from an Essential, the Pixel 3 or even the 4 might be the move

Yes, I'm mad. Let's move on.

Jays | Cavs | Eagles | Sabres | Tarheels

PSN: Dr_Claw_77 | XBL: Dr Claw 077 | FB: drclaw077 | T: @drclaw77 | http://thepeoplesvault.wordpress.com

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Fri Oct-18-19 04:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
27. "I definitely can't complain on the support."
In response to Reply # 25

We got Android 10 the week it was released, on a 2-year-old phone! And the damn thing still runs as well as the day I bought it (much better, actually, considering their catastrophic rollout).

I must admit, part of my hunger to move on is also the fact that in years past if somebody asked me about my phone I could say "Ah, yeah, it's this cool experimental thing from the guy who first created Android."

But now if I said that, anyone who might care would say "wait, you mean that Andy Rubin creep?"

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16412 posts
Fri Oct-18-19 09:23 AM

3. "i got the note 10+"
In response to Reply # 0

i really was hoping to hold on to my s8 for at least another year but it crapped out on me. there was a pretty good promo for the note 10 so *shrug*

i like it.

tariqhu
Charter member
17878 posts
Fri Oct-18-19 09:53 AM

7. "I reluctantly got my s7."
In response to Reply # 3

I actually preferred LGs before. the interface was better for me and I like the button the back of the phone.

never really like this Samsung, but it's been reliable until recently. had it for about 3 years.

with that said, if I can find a good price on the Samsungs, I might ride with them again.

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16412 posts
Fri Oct-18-19 09:59 AM

9. "im locked into too many of their features to switch"
In response to Reply # 7

i do like the phones but wish there were other options that offered as much of what i like. i even got over not having a headphone jack just to stick with them. it hasnt been an issue yet. i did get an adapter/amp for whenever i do want/need to use regular headphones. so far its only been to test it.

it would have been nice if they included the 90hz screen but i guess you cant miss what you havent had.

at first the in screen fingerprint sensor was good. its been okay over all. more finicky than i would like.

i really need to do something so i can test out the cameras lol

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22285 posts
Fri Oct-18-19 09:30 AM

4. "Pixel 3xl and I love it."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm not really feeling tempted by the Pixel 4. I like that the notch is gone (although it really doesn't bother me too much). But I don't like the idea of using facial recognition without even the option of a fingerprint scanner.

tariqhu
Charter member
17878 posts
Fri Oct-18-19 09:56 AM

8. "I agree that the finger prints should still be an option."
In response to Reply # 4

but I might roll with this 3 since its way cheaper and I'll get the finger print still.

only thing I don't really dig is that I can't expand the memory. I've gotten used to being able to do that. it may not matter since everything gets uploaded anyway.

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13561 posts
Fri Oct-18-19 09:32 AM

5. "Note 2"
In response to Reply # 0

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Fri Oct-18-19 09:35 AM

6. "Paging Dr Claw"
In response to Reply # 0

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

#2dopebrothersandastackofwax

https://www.instagram.com/bobgeorge87

https://www.instagram.com/thirtythree.three/

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44613 posts
Fri Oct-18-19 10:49 AM

10. "iPhone 11 Pro Max...."
In response to Reply # 0

oh.
wait.

tariqhu
Charter member
17878 posts
Fri Oct-18-19 11:11 AM

12. "yeah...get outta here lol"
In response to Reply # 10

FLUIDJ
44613 posts
Fri Oct-18-19 12:07 PM

17. "nah, my 1st iPhone. I've been #Android for YEARS. Work phone is still a ..."
In response to Reply # 12

S10e which has been surprisingly solid.

But yeah.....I had to make the switch.
ONLY things I miss so far is being able to stop my alarms early and having separate volume controls for alerts, alarms, ringers.

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Fri Oct-18-19 04:25 PM

28. "My first iphone as well...and the keyboard is giving me fits, lol"
In response to Reply # 17

I'm used to being able to switch my keys around, put the period and comma on either side of the space bar. Can't here.

And no blinking light for text notifications?

Never thought I'd use FaceID ever..bt I kinda dig it here.

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

#2dopebrothersandastackofwax

https://www.instagram.com/bobgeorge87

https://www.instagram.com/thirtythree.three/

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Fri Oct-18-19 10:52 AM

11. "galaxy A10e"
In response to Reply # 0

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

shygurl
Member since Oct 08th 2002
13358 posts
Fri Oct-18-19 11:26 AM

13. "Moto g5 plus"
In response to Reply # 0

I will have had it 2.5 years in December. Kinda would be open to a pixel 3a, but this is holding up surprisingly well, and I'm not buying a new one till it starts conking out.

I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.

— F. Scott Fitzgerald

tariqhu
Charter member
17878 posts
Fri Oct-18-19 12:00 PM

16. "yep"
In response to Reply # 13

>I'm not buying a new one till it starts conking out.

mine seems to be starting that process. its been slowing down. the flickering started yesterday. hasn't seemed to be an issue today tho.

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28839 posts
Fri Oct-18-19 11:36 AM

14. "A new S9 and an Xz1 compact"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm buying an LG G6 and Pixel 3 for Xmas.

Look at older Android devices or 2019 midrangers if your budget is $300 to $500.

Xz1 compact has a 4.7 inch display but it's two years old.

S9 is a great buy in 2019 due to spec and accessory ecosystem.

No empathy for white misery (c) BDot

"root for everybody black haters say that's crazy, wow..."

tariqhu
Charter member
17878 posts
Fri Oct-18-19 11:58 AM

15. "I definitely want an older model."
In response to Reply # 14

checking the samsungs and the LG G7 and v40.

FLUIDJ
44613 posts
Fri Oct-18-19 12:26 PM

18. "What's the science behind buying a phone outright in 2019? "
In response to Reply # 15

With the incentives that majority of the big carriers offer on new models, I don't see the value in buying an older phone flat out to save money.

For instance....
I traded in my wife's Pixel 2 and my Galaxy Note 8 and walked away with an iPhone 11 for free & an iPhone 11 Pro Max for $600. Of course this is all via monthly payment and rebate magic...but the net gain/end result is still the same.

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

tariqhu
Charter member
17878 posts
Fri Oct-18-19 12:31 PM

19. "the older phones are just cheaper overall."
In response to Reply # 18

gets the expense out of the way. I also don't like the idea of adding more dollars to my monthly bill. unless I can get a 2 for 1 deal, which has worked in the past. I won't completely rule it out if I can find that again.

I also work for one of the carriers. so I'm not switching to get phone deals elsewhere cuz I'd lose my service discount.

bigkarma
Charter member
7859 posts
Fri Oct-18-19 12:55 PM

20. "My hot garbage ASUS died so now I'm in a refurb S7"
In response to Reply # 0

Having a good phone camera is a big deal for me. I have a kid in sports and I also travel a lot, so I like to have the convenience of not having to carry a phone AND a camera.

Whenever it's time to get a new phone I always pick whatever has the strongest camera. So, I copped an ASUS over a year ago, because it boasted the highest megapixels for a smart phone.

The camera WAS incredible, but the rest of the phone was trash, and eventually the touch screen became unresponsive. I took it back to Verizon and came out with a refurb S7, the option which allowed me to walk out with no out of pocket expense, until my contract is up.

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Fri Oct-18-19 02:03 PM

22. "What's the MP on that Asus?"
In response to Reply # 20

I want a phone just for the camera and to put music on

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Fri Oct-18-19 04:15 PM

26. "take a look at the ASUS Zenfone 6"
In response to Reply # 22
Fri Oct-18-19 04:16 PM by Dr Claw

>I want a phone just for the camera and to put music on

I hear the camera is kind of wack, though.

best Android phone where you can add music and also have a good camera to match is probably a LG V40

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Fri Oct-18-19 01:14 PM

21. "Android wise?"
In response to Reply # 0

I mean my answer is "Galaxy Note 9", last year's Note, by default.

BUT I'm also in the field, so here's my recommendations:

mid-range:

Google Pixel 3a - pros: updates before everyone else, for 3 years from manufacture. no glass back so you might could go caseless, better battery than the premium Pixel, non-XL starts under $400 MSRP, no WACK notch on the XL model. Same great camera (and software) as Pixel 3, which means you get Night Sight AND Call Screening. No bloatware, better power management, a HEADPHONE JACK, works on every carrier and well internationally, using Google Fi. cons: only 64GB period (but may not be a "con" if you mostly stream and don't take a lot of photos), only 4GB RAM (see above, YMMV) no expandable storage, no wireless charging or IP rating, no unlimited original quality Google Photos uploads (which is also true of the newly released Pixel 4).

Nokia 7.2 - pros: Great screen, which is FLAT and only has the "teardrop" notch. In Android One program, so software is much like the Pixel and comes directly from Google with 2 years of promised updates, no bloatware. 128GB internal storage with microSD expansion to well above that. Quality of build on par with flagships. No bloatware. Usable on most carriers (except Sprint and its MVNOs). Has both a standard and ultra wide camera lens + depth camera at the rear. Also has a HEADPHONE JACK. cons: the audio on this (speaker wise) is a little bush-league. with the previous model (7.1), there were quite a few reports of the USB charging point breaking or not working. Camera software ain't on par with Google's. No wireless charging or IP rating.

Samsung A50 - pros: much like the Nokia 7.2. Big ass screen that is FLAT with a teardrop notch. 64GB BUT with expandable microSD storage. Samsung Pay compatible. Not made out of glass. Available unlocked, but is also being sold at many carriers. Runs Android 9 with OneUI like the S10 and Note 10. Multi-cameras at the rear like Nokia 7.2. 25 watt fast charger like more expensive Galaxy phones. A HEADPHONE JACK. A cheap Galaxy phone that doesn't feel "cheap". cons: no IP rating, no wireless charge, updates will come slower than Google by far, even more than Samsung flagships. The A70 is even better than this (larger screen and 128GB base storage), but Samsung ain't selling it officially in the USA. a US-compatible unlocked model is available at Amazon and B&H, only it doesn't officially work at all US carriers.

OnePlus 7T - pros: Best screen out of the bunch, which refreshes at 90Hz, and like the others listed here is FLAT. Amazingly fast software, which is light and more or less bloatware free. Updates not as fast as Google, but are close behind. 8GBs of RAM, 128GB base storage. Finally sold at one US carrier (T-Mobile); unlocked version works on all other US carriers (perhaps not Sprint, need to check). cons: customer service is assjuice (actually true of most of these listed here, except Samsung), have to get all accessories online, no expandable storage or IP rating (OnePlus says it is splashproof). Most expensive of mid-range phones listed here.

flagships:

Samsung Galaxy S-line (S10e, S10, S10+) - pros: WELL supported with 3rd party accessories. There will be a version for each carrier. Display is in top-tier of all smartphones, OneUI >>>>> TouchWiz. S10/S10+ can come in some INSANE storage/RAM configurations, but all models START at an expandable 128GB of storage. S10e does not have ultra-wide camera or in-screen fingerprint reader, but all have regular and telephoto lenses. ALL have a headphone jack. Cons: you see the articles regarding the in-screen fingerprint reader on the S10/S10+. Updates come much slower than Google, but Samsung tends to support their products for 2 years for major OS upgrades, and sometimes even longer for security updates (Note 4 was supported well into 2018 in this regard).

Samsung Galaxy Note line (Note 10, Note 10+). pros: See above with the S10, only the base storage is 256GB. Huge screen. cons: no expandable storage and downgraded screen on Note 10, the price is too GOTDAMN HIGH across the board.

OnePlus 7 Pro: pros: See OnePlus 7T, only there is a 256GB internal storage option. NO NOTCH but a popup camera cons: best versions can only be had online, accessories also. No headphone jack, no wireless charging or IP rating. The screen is curved like an S7 Edge. Camera software is far from getting to Samsung or Google's level.

Sony Xperia 1: pros: 128GB expandable storage, great build quality. Finally an improved camera. Optimized for media consumption (the display ratio is tall af, but the phone itself is more narrow making it easier to hold). Comes in a kickass purple color. Cons: Price is too GOTDAMN high. Can be used at pretty much any carrier (except Sprint) but can be found at NO carriers. Unlocked only.

I don't have much comment on the Google Pixel 4 only that I think they really dropped the ball in a number of ways.

Google Pixel 3s are being discounted, so see what I wrote about the 3a, only add IP rating, wireless charging, a NOTCH on the XL model, and remove the headphone jack. At a reduced price it's still pretty good. You get a 128GB option for storage.

A lot of the midrange can pass for flagship levels and can be had for less than $600 total, especially that OnePlus.

Samsung S line has already seen a price drop which makes one want to give them a second look.

Of course I like the Note 10+ (except the not having a headphone jack part).

But my favorites of the ones listed here:

OnePlus 7 Pro, Pixel 3a, Nokia 7.2

Yes, I'm mad. Let's move on.

Jays | Cavs | Eagles | Sabres | Tarheels

PSN: Dr_Claw_77 | XBL: Dr Claw 077 | FB: drclaw077 | T: @drclaw77 | http://thepeoplesvault.wordpress.com

tariqhu
Charter member
17878 posts
Fri Oct-18-19 02:25 PM

23. "good shit Doc."
In response to Reply # 21

that pixel 3 is looking better and better because of the price. but still considering the Samsung s line.

thanks mayne.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13352524 Previous topic | Next topic