Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13346332

Subject: "Mama STANK. Does this belong on Beyonce's Internet?" Previous topic | Next topic
BlakStaar
Member since May 29th 2002
1261 posts
Wed Sep-04-19 09:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: Mama STANK. Does this belong on Beyonce's Internet?"

So, I shared a funny but unfortunate viral video with my mother this evening. Rather than join in and laugh with me, she frowned and said videos of this nature don't belong on the interwebs. So, what say you?

Here it is: https://www.instagram.com/p/B1-JOiJhAof/

Basically, a Black mom is braiding her baby girl's hair in between her legs like Black mamas do, and the daughter is fussy. Why?

Mama stank down there.

*in sweet baby girl voice*

"I don't want to be right here. It stank."

DEAD.

It's funny that I actually discovered this video existed via @notkarltonbanks:https://www.instagram.com/p/B1_08BLBlKQ/

He's a social media personality that plays various fictional characters from the stereotypical Black Baptist church and other folks from the Black community. It wasn't until I read the comments on his video that I realized it was a remake of the aforementioned original viral clip that was posted on The Shade Room, an account I do not follow on IG. He basically borrowed the audio and played the role of mom and daughter and made it funnier.

---
The comments on both videos are generally non-critical but there are a few, "Why would you even post this online?" That was my mom's sentiment. I understand where the critics are coming from, but I guess I'm desensitized to this kind of content in 2019. *shrugs*

As an aside, these videos are why I can't quit social media. It's too much funny ish on there! I feel immature for laughing but funny to me, at least today.

Poll result (5 votes)
Yep. It ain't that serious. It's comedy! (1 votes)Vote
No. Ain't nuthin' sacred no more. (2 votes)Vote
I am very indifferent. (1 votes)Vote
Other. (1 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
so many layers of wrong
Sep 05th 2019
RE: so many layers of wrong
Sep 05th 2019
so many layers of wrong (take 2)
Sep 05th 2019
that pain in grandmas voice sounded too real
Sep 05th 2019
      RE: that pain in grandmas voice sounded too real
Sep 05th 2019
           ain't no probably nothing
Sep 05th 2019
I hate it. How did this find it's way to the internet?
Sep 05th 2019
^^^
Sep 05th 2019
Wash THAT BUTT
Sep 05th 2019
What kinda nu-negroes are putting their peoples up online...
Sep 05th 2019
I bet money it’s the SO’s parent that they don’t like
Sep 05th 2019
dush? doosh? do both of them shits (c) martin
Sep 05th 2019
BADUSSY!!! Wife and I had a natural birth class
Sep 05th 2019
RE: BADUSSY!!! Wife and I had a natural birth class
Sep 05th 2019
https://media.tenor.com/images/c5c002da1491785f9c441aadaad95629/tenor.gi...
Sep 05th 2019
I find solace in the fact...
Sep 05th 2019

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Thu Sep-05-19 09:22 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "so many layers of wrong"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Sep-05-19 09:43 AM by Selah

the key takeaway for me: who is recording, and why?

the cynic in me is skeptical about the whole thing - like its yet another attempt for internet fame (i've sadly seen worse attempts)

I'm a tiny bit sad I'm that cynical

BlakStaar
1261 posts
Thu Sep-05-19 10:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "RE: so many layers of wrong"
In response to Reply # 1
Thu Sep-05-19 10:04 AM by BlakStaar

The skepticism makes sense. If you look at the original account that posted the clip, the mom is a comedian. They also posted a video asking people to stop stealing the clip because they work hard for their content...
https://www.instagram.com/tv/B1-MMfWFNx3/

I sensed it wasn’t an authentic moment captured on camera, that it was scripted. I looked past that because I thought it was funny and I know shit like this happens in real life. Kids really talk like that.

@notkarltonbanks’s re-enactment of the little girl nearly KILLED ME. I showed my mom this morning and she laughed, though she hated the original.

--
"Music is not to be possessed; it's to be shared.” - James Mtume

"Just stay loose, keep it raw, and bang ya drums out sometimes." - Madlib

Selah
16484 posts
Thu Sep-05-19 10:33 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "so many layers of wrong (take 2)"
In response to Reply # 5

its too much

mind_grapes
Member since Nov 13th 2007
957 posts
Thu Sep-05-19 12:17 PM

7. "that pain in grandmas voice sounded too real"
In response to Reply # 1

smh, why would someone put this on the internet?

BlakStaar
1261 posts
Thu Sep-05-19 12:30 PM

8. "RE: that pain in grandmas voice sounded too real"
In response to Reply # 7
Thu Sep-05-19 12:43 PM by BlakStaar

I didn’t sense pain. The grandma is actually the mom and she voluntarily put this online. If you read my previous response, it was probably scripted for views/attention. She has quite a few followers on IG.

--

Selah
16484 posts
Thu Sep-05-19 01:00 PM

10. "ain't no probably nothing"
In response to Reply # 8

the whole thing is a single mom making "funny" videos with her kids for something (trying to get: noticed/paid/web-clout .. can't-quite-figure-it-out)

she said one of her "babby daddys" (her words) is dead, another is locked up and this is her way of teaching her kids to be somebody

so in the end, her having her 6-year old call her stank is fishing for followers

the video in question (momma stank) apparently got forwarded and now she's saying that she's salty because the reposters are getting likes instead of her. she also said this (someone stealing her videos) has happened before which begs the question of why she didn't watermark them before

sick.sad.world

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49419 posts
Thu Sep-05-19 09:35 AM

2. "I hate it. How did this find it's way to the internet?"
In response to Reply # 0

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10145 posts
Thu Sep-05-19 09:56 AM

4. "^^^"
In response to Reply # 2

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Thu Sep-05-19 09:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Wash THAT BUTT"
In response to Reply # 0

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Thu Sep-05-19 12:33 PM

9. "What kinda nu-negroes are putting their peoples up online..."
In response to Reply # 0

...to be clowned?

Is that how families and friends are rolling in 2019?

Just post videos embarrassing each other?

I'm old. This shit ain't cool with me.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79602 posts
Thu Sep-05-19 02:35 PM

13. "I bet money it’s the SO’s parent that they don’t like"
In response to Reply # 9

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Thu Sep-05-19 01:04 PM

11. "dush? doosh? do both of them shits (c) martin"
In response to Reply # 0

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79602 posts
Thu Sep-05-19 02:33 PM

12. "BADUSSY!!! Wife and I had a natural birth class"
In response to Reply # 0

Young girl and her mom showed up one week and we had to get on the floor to do some breathing exercises.

You had to rotate to different stations.

Girls momma sat down and did her training with her daughter and when she got up my wife and I both got a whiff of her momma and ummmmm...

Brotha J says... YUCK

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

BlakStaar
1261 posts
Thu Sep-05-19 02:44 PM

14. "RE: BADUSSY!!! Wife and I had a natural birth class"
In response to Reply # 12

LOL. Good ol stank “sit down air.”

--

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Thu Sep-05-19 03:09 PM

16. "https://media.tenor.com/images/c5c002da1491785f9c441aadaad95629/tenor.gi..."
In response to Reply # 12

https://media.tenor.com/images/c5c002da1491785f9c441aadaad95629/tenor.gif

BlakStaar
1261 posts
Thu Sep-05-19 02:58 PM

15. "I find solace in the fact..."
In response to Reply # 0

I saw the @notkarltonbanks version first: https://www.instagram.com/p/B1_08BLBlKQ/

I didn’t know what baby girl was TRULY referring to when she said her mama stank until I saw the original clip.

I can understand why folks don’t like the original but I also don’t know how folk can’t find the humor in the spoof.

The way the camera is zoomed into the little “girl’s” face, how she is just moving back and forth…

OMG.

And the mom’s expressions and delivery. “I done smelled you and changed you and all dat dere…. Oohhhh. I know I’m RANK!”

*insert coffin emoji here*

--

Lobby General Discussion topic #13346332 Previous topic | Next topic