Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13342098

Subject: "....and it's over. As of 12:47 yesterday, my wife and I are done." Previous topic | Next topic
Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44843 posts
Tue Aug-06-19 11:53 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"....and it's over. As of 12:47 yesterday, my wife and I are done."

Nearly two years ago, my wife and I separated. In April of last year, we decided to give it another go.

Not much changed. I tried. She did not. It remained a very one-sided relationship. I made multiple attempts to address this, which she tended to avoid, sidestep, etc.

Skipping a ton of details, the last straw came this past Sunday when it appeared that she completely blew me off on a day when we had plans that we had had for a few days, and had in fact discussed that morning.

I didn't address it that night, but yesterday I broke a cardinal rule and sent a barrage of texts instead of a conversation. Sunday was the proverbial straw that broke my back, and since she tends avoid real, hard direct discussions anyways, I sent the texts.

The jist: Things have to change, or I'll eventually check out for good, and my well is nearly dry. There was more nuance to it, but that's the bare bones of it.

Surprisingly, she called me, and we finally had a completely honest discussion, and surprisingly still, we wound up on the same page on several points.

The jist: This was a mistake from jump. day one. We stuck around for our own reasons, based on who we were at the time. We made each other better in significant ways. But we were never right for each other, and we both knew it. I take a small amount of solace in the fact that I called this from day one, and she acknowledged that I saw this long before she was willing to accept it.

Funny thing is, we split, but nothing else changes. Which means nothing really changes, since she wasn't making much of an effort on the relationship tip. We still live together, still have a joint account, will continue to co-parent.

Things may actually improve, without the burden of her being in the type of relationship with me that she never really wanted, and me not killing myself by playing double dutch in a relationship I know she doesn't want, but she won't admit.

This hurts, but the pain is somehow muted, though it does come in waves. But as far as broken marriages go, for now it seems we can count ourselves in the 'best case scenario' tier.

Time will tell though.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Sorry to hear that CT hope you're managing it as well as you can
Aug 06th 2019
Much better than the first go round. I'll say that much.
Aug 07th 2019
Sad to hear that
Aug 06th 2019
Sad. But true, lol
Aug 07th 2019
Sorry homie.
Aug 06th 2019
Damn. Sorry to hear this
Aug 06th 2019
Sorry to hear that, sir. Peace to you.
Aug 06th 2019
she's fucking someone else, dude.
Aug 06th 2019
Eat several dicks and take your simple ass, paint by numbers take elsewh...
Aug 06th 2019
      ha! you’re right. good luck in all-
Aug 06th 2019
sorry to hear that,
Aug 06th 2019
Sorry to hear this, my man.
Aug 06th 2019
that give it another go shit...
Aug 06th 2019
I wish you well in all this.
Aug 07th 2019
Do you guys sleep in different rooms?
Aug 07th 2019
Same room, same bed
Aug 07th 2019
thanks for sharing
Aug 07th 2019
Sorry to hear this. But you seem at peace with it, which is good.
Aug 07th 2019
Bruh...I been with you for a minute on this journey
Aug 07th 2019
good luck man.
Aug 07th 2019
not my business, but why still have a joint account?
Aug 07th 2019
Because we're still a single family unit
Aug 07th 2019
A bit of clarification on the joint account
Aug 07th 2019
So her account is the joint account?
Aug 07th 2019
      Yes and no. She has the joint and her own account under hers
Aug 07th 2019
damn, homie.
Aug 07th 2019

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Tue Aug-06-19 12:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Sorry to hear that CT hope you're managing it as well as you can"
In response to Reply # 0

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

Cold Truth
44843 posts
Wed Aug-07-19 08:31 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "Much better than the first go round. I'll say that much."
In response to Reply # 1

It's painful, but the real pain just hits in waves, a burst here and there.

But it's better this time around.

Lil Rabies
Member since Oct 12th 2005
1586 posts
Tue Aug-06-19 12:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Sad to hear that"
In response to Reply # 0

You sound like you really tried, and I imagine that's what makes it painful. My brother told me that all women are teachers. I hope you take from this something to make a better foundation in the future and that you find rainbows after this rain.

Taking shots in the dark/that's a bad call
Going straight for your head/ gotta saw it off

Cold Truth
44843 posts
Wed Aug-07-19 08:58 AM

17. "Sad. But true, lol"
In response to Reply # 2

>You sound like you really tried, and I imagine that's what
>makes it painful.

That's a big part of it.

But that's life.

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Tue Aug-06-19 01:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Sorry homie."
In response to Reply # 0

But sounds like this is for the better, longterm. So use it as a growth opportunity.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79594 posts
Tue Aug-06-19 01:18 PM

4. "Damn. Sorry to hear this"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Tue Aug-06-19 01:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Sorry to hear that, sir. Peace to you."
In response to Reply # 0

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

kinetic94761180
Member since Jul 05th 2002
17857 posts
Tue Aug-06-19 02:18 PM

6. "she's fucking someone else, dude."
In response to Reply # 0

and that living-together-but-being-apart shit won't last.

Rjcc is code for "bitch-ass troll"

DROkayplayerâ„¢

Cold Truth
44843 posts
Tue Aug-06-19 02:48 PM

8. "Eat several dicks and take your simple ass, paint by numbers take elsewh..."
In response to Reply # 6

Real talk, walk your dumbed-down, old head, Simple Steve Harvey hot take having ass out of the building.

You're uninformed and out of pocket in your header.

In fairness, who knows. Could be.

But keep that one to yourself. It's not your place.

Far as that stupidity you spit at the end, again: FOH.

I personally know two people who are two long-term examples of that working out just fine.

We're giving it a go. I'm not a fucking psychic. Who knows what tomorrow holds.

But you keep that Ides of March shit to yourself.

Yes, shit could change and turn on a dime in ways I can't possibly predict.

Take you, for example. You may wake up tomorrow, and magically stop spewing the dumbest, simplest, nuance-free basic Bob ass piping hot takes.

Probable? Sure.
Likely? 8 Ball says: Not.

But who knows. Maybe miracles can happen.

I'm not sure if you *thought* you were dropping knowledge, putting me up on game or what have you, but you just showed up in an oversized suit that look like depression era hand me down rags from grandpa's closet, and read the note of advice he left for you on his pocket.

Sit your stupid ass down.

kinetic94761180
Member since Jul 05th 2002
17857 posts
Tue Aug-06-19 03:03 PM

9. "ha! you’re right. good luck in all-"
In response to Reply # 8

Rjcc is code for "bitch-ass troll"

DROkayplayerâ„¢

jimi
Charter member
4614 posts
Tue Aug-06-19 02:45 PM

7. "sorry to hear that,"
In response to Reply # 0

good thing y'all talked it out and came to an agreement of some sort. either way, hopefully it works out in the end.

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Tue Aug-06-19 03:09 PM

10. "Sorry to hear this, my man. "
In response to Reply # 0

Regardless of how inevitable it may have seemed to you, it's still tough to deal with.

Keep moving, shaking, and growing.

--- praying for peace, love, and power

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Tue Aug-06-19 07:11 PM

11. "that give it another go shit..."
In response to Reply # 0

can be deadly. It’s how I ended up back in his bed.
why didn’t I trust my gut...

Be well

walihorse
Member since Aug 03rd 2006
16125 posts
Wed Aug-07-19 07:36 AM

12. "I wish you well in all this. "
In response to Reply # 0

¿If a fat guy falls in the woods and there is no one around to see it, do the trees laugh?

legsdiamond
79594 posts
Wed Aug-07-19 07:42 AM

13. "Do you guys sleep in different rooms? "
In response to Reply # 0

How is this supposed to work?

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Cold Truth
44843 posts
Wed Aug-07-19 08:07 AM

14. "Same room, same bed"
In response to Reply # 13

It's not like it's been a bastion of intimacy as it is. Shes on one side, I'm on one side.

The "how is this supposed to work" question is simple: it just does.

It's not ideal. It's not what anyone dreams of. It's not anyone's first choice.

It works because everything is pretty much the same as it's been the past few years. In fact, it's an improvement in that this is actually settled.

No cat and mouse. I can't be frustrated by her lack of effort to make this work. I no longer have to push that stone up a hill.

It works because it does and has, and we just cut out the biggest wound in the body.

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Wed Aug-07-19 08:35 AM

16. "thanks for sharing"
In response to Reply # 0

divorce has never been on our mind...but seeing people go through it and communicate about the steps getting there is somber to see

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Wed Aug-07-19 09:13 AM

18. "Sorry to hear this. But you seem at peace with it, which is good."
In response to Reply # 0

Are there plans for either of you to actually file? Because while it may feel like nothing has really changed beyond agreeing to split at this point, once lawyers get involved and making recommendations that dynamic could shift quickly.

auragin_boi
Member since Aug 01st 2003
20939 posts
Wed Aug-07-19 10:10 AM

19. "Bruh...I been with you for a minute on this journey"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Aug-07-19 10:12 AM by auragin_boi

So you already know my stance. Whatever works for you all is best.

I know I've been going through my thing but I'm coming out the fog a little bit more daily so I'm still here if you need that sounding board.

But at least it's mutual now and can be compartmentalized. It's such a relief when you don't have to care 'like that' anymore. Finality is definitely a relief instead of the constant ambiguity and emotional tug-o-war.

I know the living sitch will remain the same but as we discussed last time, you're gonna need to start planning ASAP. Her feelings can turn on a dime and you don't want to end up struggling mightily due to it.

Start insulating yourself and making plans. Get your own account (still keep the joint for household stuff). You'll need a spot to stash savings for the eventual move. Plan on 1-3 yrs max with the current set up but look to get it situated sooner than later if possible. Even if you don't move sooner, be ready too. Once you're set up, any extra time you get to stash is just gravy.

Try to get her to agree to the cheapest and most amicable way to split (mediation, jointly created parenting agreement with legal consultation not representing either of you personally). It's a lot easier if you build it together around what works for you both than letting the courts dictate it. Make her understand you're there to do what's best for the children and work to that accordingly.

Above all...keep your head up. This is just part of growing. You're strong enough to work through this and come out sunny on the other side.

Get at me if needed.

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Wed Aug-07-19 10:20 AM

20. "good luck man."
In response to Reply # 0

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Wed Aug-07-19 10:51 AM

21. "not my business, but why still have a joint account?"
In response to Reply # 0

Cold Truth
44843 posts
Wed Aug-07-19 11:03 AM

22. "Because we're still a single family unit"
In response to Reply # 21

I'm sure that will change at some point.

We have our plan for the immediate future, which may or may not change sooner or later.

Cold Truth
44843 posts
Wed Aug-07-19 11:07 AM

23. "A bit of clarification on the joint account "
In response to Reply # 0

The one quirk we never fixed is that while I my account is connected to hers, the joint is on hers, under hers.

But, in a quirk we never fixed, my direct deposit remains with my account. The way the joint is setup, I have access to hers through my account, but she cannot access my account through hers.

I have to transfer my funds to her account.

So if anything popped off, she still can't access my account.

legsdiamond
79594 posts
Wed Aug-07-19 02:22 PM

25. "So her account is the joint account? "
In response to Reply # 23
Wed Aug-07-19 02:24 PM by legsdiamond

Does she also have an individual account?

If something popped off could she stop payments thru the joint and fuck up the bills, mortgage payment?

You might want to change that up to protect yourself

Cold Truth
44843 posts
Wed Aug-07-19 02:57 PM

26. "Yes and no. She has the joint and her own account under hers"
In response to Reply # 25

>Does she also have an individual account?
>
>If something popped off could she stop payments thru the joint
>and fuck up the bills, mortgage payment?

I mean, if she suddenly stops payment on rent and car payments, we're all fucked.

>You might want to change that up to protect yourself

Change what up?

I have to deposit my money into the joint.

She goes on a bender and decides to nuke our entire existence, fine. My check still goes into my account and I just don't deposit anything in hers.

Everything is in both our names. There's really no incentive for her to go off the reservation like that. She recognizes that she can't do this alone, and doesn't want to do this alone. So if she suddenly loses her mind, all she does is screw herself.

What you're describing is highly improbable and not really feasible.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Wed Aug-07-19 11:53 AM

24. "damn, homie."
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby General Discussion topic #13342098 Previous topic | Next topic