Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13339957

Subject: "what do you feed your dog?" Previous topic | Next topic
tariqhu
Charter member
17893 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 09:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"what do you feed your dog?"

think I gotta change my dog's food. he's been having stomach problems lately. He eats Chicken Soup for the Soul brand. never had issues before, but that's the only thing I can think of that might be the problem.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Ha - Dog Chow for small doggs w/broken up lunch meat on top
Jun 25th 2019
lunch meat lol
Jun 25th 2019
He likes roast beef & bologna the best.
Jun 25th 2019
      your dog is living the dream lol
Jun 25th 2019
Of course... but of course. Lmao
Jun 25th 2019
American Journey salmon and sweet potato
Jun 25th 2019
what made you do the grain free?
Jun 25th 2019
      lol honestly my wife
Jun 25th 2019
           grain free is a much better balance...
Jun 25th 2019
           awesome
Jun 25th 2019
           haha
Jun 25th 2019
my guy just turned 9, he's been eating this for a couple of years...
Jun 25th 2019
"Senior" dogg food hahaha. Amazing.
Jun 25th 2019
      lol, yeah...that made me laugh, too...
Jun 25th 2019
           I've been thinking about senior dog food too.
Jun 25th 2019
Merrick...
Jun 25th 2019
Same.
Jun 25th 2019
will check it out.
Jun 25th 2019
      you'll save more than just $$$...
Jun 25th 2019
Taste of the Wild - Pacific Whitefish and a spoonful of pumpkin
Jun 25th 2019
we were doing yogurt one he got sick.
Jun 25th 2019
      Tip on the pumpkin...
Jun 25th 2019
the only thing you really need to know
Jun 25th 2019
Ohh this is good info. We're gonna need our dogg to live forever, so.
Jun 25th 2019
buycott is a great resource...
Jun 25th 2019
right.
Jun 25th 2019
anybody raw feeding their dog?
Jun 25th 2019
I have...
Jun 25th 2019
I read this SSSSooooooooooo wrong fam...my bad... carry on.
Jun 26th 2019
dog died years ago
Jun 25th 2019
Blue buffalo senior. I crock pot chicken thighs
Jun 25th 2019
that's awesome.
Jun 26th 2019
Same re: crock pot chicken
Jun 26th 2019
Blue Buffalo small breed puppy
Jun 26th 2019

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 09:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Ha - Dog Chow for small doggs w/broken up lunch meat on top"
In response to Reply # 0

He's spoiled af.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

tariqhu
Charter member
17893 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 09:57 AM

2. "lunch meat lol"
In response to Reply # 1

mine only gets dog food/treats. seems like he's got a sensitive stomach. although, he got a lil chocolate years ago and was fine.

Brew
24419 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 10:05 AM

4. "He likes roast beef & bologna the best."
In response to Reply # 2

But we usually get turkey or ham cause it's cheaper. Haha.

Yea word - every dogg is different so I wouldn't really recommend our dogg's diet for most people's doggs lol. He eats everything and is generally (knock on wood) very, very healthy and doesn't have a ton of stomach issues. I mean I literally spoonfeed him small bites of ice cream whenever I have it myself hahaha. Spoiled little bastard. Hard to say no to them tho isn't it.

tariqhu
Charter member
17893 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 10:16 AM

6. "your dog is living the dream lol"
In response to Reply # 4

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 11:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
20. "Of course... but of course. Lmao "
In response to Reply # 1

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

walihorse
Member since Aug 03rd 2006
16125 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 09:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "American Journey salmon and sweet potato"
In response to Reply # 0

No grains.

¿If a fat guy falls in the woods and there is no one around to see it, do the trees laugh?

tariqhu
Charter member
17893 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 10:08 AM

5. "what made you do the grain free?"
In response to Reply # 3

walihorse
16125 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 11:02 AM

14. "lol honestly my wife"
In response to Reply # 5

she read some thing that said something. Plus its her dog, so I didn't argue.

¿If a fat guy falls in the woods and there is no one around to see it, do the trees laugh?

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 11:12 AM

16. "grain free is a much better balance..."
In response to Reply # 14

https://www.lovejoyspetfood.co.uk/blog/grain-free-dog-food-benefits

Seven Benefits Of Grain Free Dog Food
Feeding your dog a grain free diet has become increasingly popular in recent years.

Most regular dog food is stuffed with wheat, corn and soy, but grain free dog food eliminates all of these ingredients. It contains more protein, meat and animal fats, while having lower levels of carbohydrates than the regular stuff.

Though these are definite positives, there is much debate around whether or not a grain free diet is right for your dog or not. In some cases, it may not be prudent, but in this post, we will run through the benefits of grain free dog food.

Before we start, please note that a grain free diet is not for all dogs. It’s therefore vital that you discuss any plans with your vet before making any changes to your pet’s diet.

1. Digestion

It has been proven that dogs are biologically incapable of fully digesting grains.

As grain free dog food has more protein and less carbohydrates, it’s easier to digest than food laden with carbohydrate heavy grains.

Amylase is an enzyme that breaks down starchy carbohydrates, and dogs do not have enough of it in their bodies to fully break down and digest carbs. Therefore, grain free food is beneficial in aiding digestion.

If your dog has trouble digesting their food it’s therefore advisable to introduce them to a grain free diet.

2. Nutrition

Many pet food brands stuff their products with unnecessarily large quantities of grains to bulk up their product and produce it as cheaply as possible.

These products are therefore very low in nutritional value, as their main ingredient is carb-heavy grain.

Conversely, grain free food is high in vegetables, fibre and healthy meat or fish protein, which provides your dog with a nutritionally complete and balanced meal.

3. Coat

A grain free diet can be of great benefit to your dog’s coat.

Grains do not provide your dog with the proper oils and nutrients needed to maintain a healthy skin and coat.

As grain free dog food is high in protein, there tends to be an increase in omega-3 fatty acids, especially in food that contains fish. These fatty oils make your dog’s coat thick, shiny and healthy.

The increase in protein also leads to a stronger coat which in turn reduces shedding, a benefit that every dog owner can agree on!

4. Energy

Grain free dog foods can be of benefit to your dog’s energy levels.

Protein is the main source of energy for dogs, and regular dog food doesn’t provide your dog with much protein or energy, as it will mostly come out as waste.

Alternatively, grain free dog food is high in protein and is therefore an excellent energy source.

This mirrors the way humans eat. If we eat a low-quality, high-carb diet we don’t have enough energy and do not really fill up.
Grain free dog food is also recommended for pregnant and lactating dogs, as it will provide the energy the dog needs to produce puppies and to provide them with nutrients.

5. Allergies

If your dog suffers from an allergy, making the switch to grain free dog food can be especially beneficial.

Many dogs are allergic to wheat and corn, common ingredients in dog food with grain. If your dog has diarrhea, an itchy behind or is licking their feet, these are symptoms of an allergic reaction and you should visit your vet immediately.

If the result is that your dog has a grain allergy, then you will be advised to make the switch to grain free dog food.

6. Weight

Another benefit of grain free dog food is that it can help control your pet’s weight.

If dogs consume an excessive amount of carbohydrates without getting enough exercise, they could experience weight gain. Most grains contain a lot of carbs, so feeding your dog regularly can therefore lead to weight gain.

Alternatively, grain free dog foods have a high vegetable and meat content, and usually include good carbohydrates like sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes have a lower carbohydrate level than regular potatoes and include more vitamins, potassium and fibre than grains.

What’s more, because of the high nutritional content in grain free dog food, it helps keep dogs fuller for longer than regular dog food, which results in less food being eaten overall.

7. Breath

As dog owners, we‘ve all experienced a time when our pet’s breath is less than pleasant. But eating grain free dog food can actually help improve bad breath in dogs.

Nutrition has a huge impact on dental health, and in most cases, poor nutrition leads to bad breath. Therefore, if a dog eats a highly nutritional diet, like grain free food, it can really benefit their breath.

It’s clear that a grain free diet can be incredibly beneficial to dogs.

If you are beginning the change to grain free dog food, always introduce it to your dog slowly. You should begin by mixing a bit of grain free dog food into their regular food, and gradually increase the amount over a few weeks. This will allow your dog’s digestive system to adjust to the new food.

In summation, here's why grain free food is beneficial to dogs:

Easier to digest
High in fibre and healthy protein
Gives your dog more energy
Creates a shinier coat
Prevents allergies
Controls your dog's weight
Their breath won't smell

But, as always, you should always discuss changing your dog’s diet with your vet first.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

walihorse
16125 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 11:18 AM

18. "awesome"
In response to Reply # 16

Yeah, she read that it was much better for dogs to go grain free. I didn't know the details. Glad she did it.

tariqhu
Charter member
17893 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 11:14 AM

17. "haha"
In response to Reply # 14

>she read some thing that said something. Plus its her dog, so
>I didn't argue.

I'm dying lol

Dstl1
Charter member
56232 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 10:17 AM

7. "my guy just turned 9, he's been eating this for a couple of years..."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/nutro-ultra-small-breed-senior-dry-dog-food

I have subscription for it on Amazon, so it's like 13 bucks, or so.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Brew
24419 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 10:21 AM

8. ""Senior" dogg food hahaha. Amazing."
In response to Reply # 7

Dstl1
Charter member
56232 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 10:25 AM

10. "lol, yeah...that made me laugh, too..."
In response to Reply # 8

our vet said dogs are considered senior around 7...some earlier or later depending on the breed.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

tariqhu
Charter member
17893 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 10:47 AM

12. "I've been thinking about senior dog food too."
In response to Reply # 10

mine homie is 10. hadn't changed it cuz he was fine until recently.

prolly gonna try chewy.com for the subscription, but will check out amazon since I got prime.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 10:22 AM

9. "Merrick..."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jun-25-19 10:23 AM by CyrenYoung

https://www.merrickpetcare.com/

Best brand overall when it comes to dog food.

soulpsychodelicyde
Member since Nov 18th 2003
12151 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 10:46 AM

11. "Same. "
In response to Reply # 9

My older girl is allergic to peas *rolls eyes* so the Brauts and Tots is tolerable for both of them. And they really like it.

tariqhu
Charter member
17893 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 10:48 AM

13. "will check it out."
In response to Reply # 9

seems like I'm gonna have to spend more on his food now. still better than more vet bills.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 11:02 AM

15. "you'll save more than just $$$..."
In response to Reply # 13

>seems like I'm gonna have to spend more on his food now.
>still better than more vet bills.

..You'll spend a bit more on food, but save on vet bills and improve the health (and overall life) of your four-legged family. More importantly, Merrick has a proven formula that allows you to adjust as your dog matures.

bigkarma
Charter member
7859 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 11:35 AM

19. "Taste of the Wild - Pacific Whitefish and a spoonful of pumpkin"
In response to Reply # 0

Most pet stores carry Taste of the Wild, but Walmart's premium brand Pure Balance (Salmon, potato & green pea) is another go to.

I usually add something wet. I was mixing a few spoonfuls of wet dog food into her food, but she was gettng heavy. I switched to pumpkin or plain greek yogurt.

tariqhu
Charter member
17893 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 12:37 PM

24. "we were doing yogurt one he got sick."
In response to Reply # 19

going to get some canned pumpkin today.

bigkarma
Charter member
7859 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 01:07 PM

29. "Tip on the pumpkin..."
In response to Reply # 24

Everybody hauls it out during the holidays, but it's hard to find off season. Publix always has it. It's in the puddings and pie fillings. Make sure it's the 100% pumpkin and not the one with added sugar.

Stores like Whole Foods, Sprouts...etc. have it as well, but for twice as much as Publix.

fontgangsta
Member since Sep 04th 2005
5467 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 11:41 AM

21. "the only thing you really need to know"
In response to Reply # 0

READ THE INGREDIENTS
if the first 3 (three mandatory, more is better) ingredients are not normal-ass food that YOU would eat (chicken, beef, carrots, whatever), then it's a no-go.
if you see by-products or by-product meal anywhere on there, its a no-go

and you need to re-check periodically, because smaller companies get bought by bigger companies and cut corners on the product all the time.

Brew
24419 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 11:54 AM

22. "Ohh this is good info. We're gonna need our dogg to live forever, so."
In response to Reply # 21

May as well take some precautions. Thanks.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 11:58 AM

23. "buycott is a great resource..."
In response to Reply # 22

https://www.buycott.com/

Helps manage your wallet and your principles.

tariqhu
Charter member
17893 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 12:40 PM

25. "right."
In response to Reply # 21

chicksen soup has always been good on the ingredients. so it makes me wonder if I got a bad batch.

luminous
Charter member
12475 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 12:47 PM

26. "anybody raw feeding their dog?"
In response to Reply # 0

it seems healthier...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--GZjSA5hmo

--
Sometimes you have to look reality in the face and say 'No!'
-Ben (Reaper)

If you need any help, don't. Hesitate to ask.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 12:59 PM

28. "I have..."
In response to Reply # 26

..and while its certainly the healthiest diet available, it *can also be one of the most expensive.

Awareness, discipline, maintenance, prep & TIME (lol).

If you're not ready for all of that, reconsider. © 3k

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Wed Jun-26-19 11:41 AM

34. "I read this SSSSooooooooooo wrong fam...my bad... carry on."
In response to Reply # 26

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 12:52 PM

27. "dog died years ago"
In response to Reply # 0

but fed her blue buffalo.
she lasted far longer on that diet, well past her life expectancy.

Roadblock
Charter member
7871 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 08:18 PM

30. "Blue buffalo senior. I crock pot chicken thighs"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jun-25-19 08:23 PM by Roadblock

My guys are 16yrs old and kicking

@GetoutTheroom
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
https://twitter.com/Jayric

tariqhu
Charter member
17893 posts
Wed Jun-26-19 09:35 AM

31. "that's awesome."
In response to Reply # 30

we'll prolly have to go back to the chicken and rice for a bit. til he settles down.

rdhull
Charter member
33137 posts
Wed Jun-26-19 10:00 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
32. "Same re: crock pot chicken"
In response to Reply # 30

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Wed Jun-26-19 10:50 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
33. "Blue Buffalo small breed puppy"
In response to Reply # 0

he eats 2 tablespoons of food 3 times a day. So I bumped him up to the good stuff. A 6 lb bag lasts me 2 months at least.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

Lobby General Discussion topic #13339957 Previous topic | Next topic