Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13337986

Subject: "Bald Brothers, Do you miss the Barbershop? Why?" Previous topic | Next topic
Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Wed Jun-12-19 02:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Bald Brothers, Do you miss the Barbershop? Why?"
Wed Jun-12-19 02:41 PM by Case_One

I've been bald since about 2003 and I can't front, I miss the barbershop. I miss conversations, the jokes, the arguments, the discounts on stuff in a large black duffle bag, the hot plates of food that were sold every so often. I miss the smell and energy of getting into a clean car with a fresh cut. I miss cutting in line because I had it like that (tip the barber 1 $50 every now and then and you never had to wait).

But I don't miss having to sit all day when your barber is in a funky mood or want to talk to everyone because he needed the attention. I don't miss the accidental nuts on my hand BS. I don't miss having my line jacked on occasion when your barber is doing the most for no reason - my bad - SMH. I dang sure don't miss having to use another barber in the same shop because my barber wasn't in that day. I don't miss having to find another barber because the one I had decided to move WAAAAAAY OUT or leave without telling the clinets where his new shop was.

β€œIt was the evidence from science and history that prompted me to abandon my atheism and become a Christian.” β€” Lee Strobel, The Case for Christ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Im not bald yet....
Jun 12th 2019
I always forget you're in RVA
Jun 13th 2019
nope!
Jun 12th 2019
Jive, yeah. That joint used to be jonin' central.
Jun 12th 2019
I got a full afro and I haven't been to a barbershop since 1999
Jun 12th 2019
being bald is more maintenance, so yeah i miss it
Jun 12th 2019
I still go (while bald), get the beard lined up every 5 days.
Jun 12th 2019
I still go sometimes randomly to grab a drink and hate on LeBron
Jun 13th 2019
Haven't had a barber cut in 25 years, but I enjoy taking my son
Jun 13th 2019

TR808
Member since Oct 24th 2012
2012 posts
Wed Jun-12-19 03:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Im not bald yet...."
In response to Reply # 0

Currently going to a Dominican Barbershop ....

All of the shops around RVA act like they too good to even think about getting a new customer.

I have to schedule appointments but you can just decide not to show up at anytime.

still trying to figure how why I am paying 20-25 for you to cut my hair in 20 minutes....

you think you Van Gogh on my hairline bro??? How about you learn how to cut a straight line instead of using black spray to fill it in...

If I didnt have a head that look like a bran muffin I would have been did the bald thing....

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Thu Jun-13-19 09:10 AM

8. "I always forget you're in RVA "
In response to Reply # 1

tariqhu
Charter member
17860 posts
Wed Jun-12-19 03:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "nope!"
In response to Reply # 0

I didn't dislike it, but sometimes that waiting cost me half a day. I just don't have the time.

my barber was fantastic. meticulous with the blades, which translates into slow af lol. and he was a talker.

I take my son to a barber tho. these shops now are more like parlors or salons. not a bad thing at all. they don't talk as much with everybody, but I think part of that is phones. but guests also sit kinda far away from the barbers. so the only real interaction is when you're sitting in the chair or me paying for my son.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17894 posts
Wed Jun-12-19 03:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Jive, yeah. That joint used to be jonin' central. "
In response to Reply # 0

But alas, this too shall pass.

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13546 posts
Wed Jun-12-19 03:26 PM

4. "I got a full afro and I haven't been to a barbershop since 1999"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't miss that shit at all.

seasoned vet
Member since Jul 29th 2008
5998 posts
Wed Jun-12-19 04:37 PM

5. "being bald is more maintenance, so yeah i miss it"
In response to Reply # 0

i have to cut my hair once every 3-5 days now

when i had hair i could go a week and a half to 2 weeks

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Wed Jun-12-19 05:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "I still go (while bald), get the beard lined up every 5 days."
In response to Reply # 0

My barbershop is sooooo hood. 71st street in Chicago, lol.

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://Tupreme.com

silenttype
Member since Jul 27th 2006
2250 posts
Thu Jun-13-19 08:52 AM

7. "I still go sometimes randomly to grab a drink and hate on LeBron"
In response to Reply # 0

My son is 2 and a half and I took him for his first
cut but that waiting shit is really for the birds-
especially with a toddler.

I don't miss going for my own cut.

------

bigkarma
Charter member
7859 posts
Thu Jun-13-19 09:25 AM

9. "Haven't had a barber cut in 25 years, but I enjoy taking my son"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jun-13-19 09:33 AM by bigkarma

Had an afro for 5 years, locs for 15, and a baldy for the last 5.

When I first started taking my son to the shop, I forgot how much I missed it.

I don't miss paying though. When I last had a haircut, it was under $10. I remember my fade being $8, and I would tip $5. Now, for my son, I'm dropping between $25-30, including tip.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13337986 Previous topic | Next topic