Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13336430

Subject: "Video game fam...help your boy find something new to play" Previous topic | Next topic
Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 12:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Video game fam...help your boy find something new to play"

So...after many years of being an Xbox dude, I copped a PS4 Pro, last December. I've been pretty much a sports/racing game dude, too. At the urging of a coworker, I rented God of War 4. Figured if I wasn't interested, I only wasted a few bucks. First time I got on it, blew 4 hours...easy. Copped it used. That game was so much fun!! Finished the story and immediately went to GameStop like...what game plays similar to this? Dude recommended Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey. Copped Origins first...very dope. I finished the main quest and a ton of side shit. After that I copped Odyssey...it was even better. More open world, more quests, doper story, better fighting and weapons. Unfortunately, since finishing that....I've been chasing the high of those three games. Nothing else will fill the void. Here is everything I've tried that folks told me (or the internet told me) would be similar and I'd enjoy

Last of Us Remastered (yawn)
The Witcher 3 (super yawan)
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (are we there, yet?)
Conan Exiles (LOL)
Lords of the Fallen (drop kicks PS4 console out the window)
I even went back and grabbed God of War 3...it's not even close
HAAAAAAAALP!!!

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Red Dead Redemption 2?
Jun 03rd 2019
i'm not into games
Jun 03rd 2019
RE: Video game fam...help your boy find something new to play
Jun 03rd 2019
Spider-Man and Horizon should be good
Jun 03rd 2019
Make me the 4th to add Spider-man
Jun 03rd 2019
If you have children into disney, KH3
Jun 03rd 2019
thanks, folks...looks like I'll be picking up Spiderman and Horizon toni...
Jun 03rd 2019
Spiderman and Red Dead
Jun 03rd 2019
Basically
Jun 03rd 2019
you should stop talking to the person who recommended
Jun 03rd 2019
appreciate the in-depth response...
Jun 03rd 2019
You like FPS and hyper realism?
Jun 03rd 2019
GTA5
Jun 03rd 2019
LOL, right on fam
Jun 03rd 2019
fuck what you heard, Fallout 76 is pretty damn good.
Jun 03rd 2019
i just started playing ultimate team mode on FIFA last yr
Jun 04th 2019

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 12:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Red Dead Redemption 2?"
In response to Reply # 0

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

luminous
Charter member
12475 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 12:22 PM

2. "i'm not into games"
In response to Reply # 0

but my husband has played:
Spiderman
Uncharted 1-3, 4
Red Dead Redemption 2
Need for Speed Payback
Mafia 3
Hellblade

--
Sometimes you have to look reality in the face and say 'No!'
-Ben (Reaper)

If you need any help, don't. Hesitate to ask.

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17895 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 12:26 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: Video game fam...help your boy find something new to play"
In response to Reply # 0

Try Horizon Zero Dawn....

Like you, I just got a PS4 last Xmas. Came with Spider-Man (very, very dope).

Since i have an xbox, I said I'd only buy exclusives for the PS4. Not into the God of War joints.

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 12:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Spider-Man and Horizon should be good"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jun-03-19 12:32 PM by Nodima

Based on what you said you didn't like, both have huge budgets and can get pretty deep with the gameplay, but like God of War they're also designed so you're constantly moving forward with the story and upgrading your character rather than running into huge difficulty roadblocks. For what it's worth, God of War was my 1A and Spider-Man my 1B for favorite game of 2018, and Horizon was my favorite of 2017.

I'd also recommend Dead Cells and Apex Legends, those are my go-to timekillers outside of MLB The Show but they are also on XBox so you could've played either of them before now if you wanted. I want to recommend Bloodborne but it's big learning curve might turn you off if you don't play games a lot.

You'd probably also like the Uncharted games a lot, as long as you don't compare its action to Gears of War and take it on its own terms the stories and set pieces are some of the best in gaming.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

DickGrayson
Member since Sep 25th 2003
537 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 12:33 PM

5. "Make me the 4th to add Spider-man"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jun-03-19 12:34 PM by DickGrayson

I got sidetracked playing MyPlayer on 2K, so I didn't finish the add-ons, but I'll go back to finish.

rzaroch36
Member since Jan 26th 2005
2462 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 12:53 PM

6. "If you have children into disney, KH3"
In response to Reply # 0

My Daughter (4 yrs old) really enjoyed watching me play Kingdom Hearts 3. I even gave her a controller and told her she was Donald or Goofy.

Decent game otherwise, lots of cut scenes. Action/adventure game and if you play the right setting not hard at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5P6zdlPJ34&feature=related
^^^ever walked the streets of...

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 03:00 PM

7. "thanks, folks...looks like I'll be picking up Spiderman and Horizon toni..."
In response to Reply # 0

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 03:07 PM

8. "Spiderman and Red Dead"
In response to Reply # 0

Spiderman sounds more up your alley since part of what makes GOW4 good is the kinesthetics. Plus, like GOW, its like playing a movie, which i personally hate but you sound like you're into it.

RexLongfellow
Charter member
18296 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 09:27 PM

15. "Basically"
In response to Reply # 8

If you're into open world games, cop those and Grand Theft Auto
I'm jealous because I can never find time to play. And my son can't watch the gory shit

The new MK is supposed to be insane too

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8049 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 04:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "you should stop talking to the person who recommended"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jun-03-19 04:25 PM by bearfield

>Lords of the Fallen (drop kicks PS4 console out the window)

literally cut off all communication with them. block them on your phone and social. they do not have your best interests in mind nor do they care for your overall well-being if they are recommending such a trash game

here are my ps4 recs:

• bloodborne/dark souls remastered/dark souls 3. these games might generate a similar reaction to lords of the fallen but they are executed at a much higher level. the art design and gameplay in these games are top tier and unassailable imo. every similar game pales in comparison, and there are a lot of games trying to be like bloodborne and dark souls right now, including the most recent god of war

• spider-man. if you like odyssey and origins you'll probably love spider-man. endless forward momentum and a morphine-like drip feed of items and abilities

• diablo 3 and maybe path of the exlie (f2p). both games do the loot thing that AC:origins/odyssey do but with a tighter focus on loot and numbers, no real open world, and in a isometric perspective (aka 3/4 view). if you enjoy seeing numbers get bigger as you progress through the game and mashing buttons to make enemies die you'll likely enjoy these games

it's worth noting that there will be a huge sale on digital downloads on the psn store this weekend so you might want to hold off just a bit on new purchases:

https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/29/18644123/playstation-e3-sale-ps4-pro-spider-man-god-of-war-deals-discounts

"For games, the marquee titles on offer include Days Gone, God of War (2018), Marvel’s Spider-Man, and MLB The Show 19. Prices on those games start at $19.99

The PlayStation Hits category will also be on sale. That will include titles such as Bloodborne, Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End, Street Fighter 5, Doom (2016), and Metal Gear Solid 5: The Definitive Experience (which includes Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain, Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeros, as well as Metal Gear Online and all of its downloadable content) starting at $9.99."

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 04:52 PM

13. "appreciate the in-depth response..."
In response to Reply # 9

only reason I wasn't even MORE disappointed with LOTF...is that I got it from the PS store for 3.99. I'll definitely check for those sales.

SynsCei
Member since Mar 05th 2008
545 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 04:39 PM

10. "You like FPS and hyper realism?"
In response to Reply # 0

Squad.... that shit will get you hooked. As the name suggests, only way to win is to provide the communication.

Graphics are ok (though gun models are on point), but the gameplay and overall team experience is where it's at.

One minute you're building your FOB, next minute you're under fire communicating call outs requesting back up... it's quite immersive and one of the best games i've played.

Single player ish? Bastion is solid af.

I'm still playing BF5... always fun imo.

SC2 if you're into RTS games.

NoDrawls McGraw
Member since Jun 24th 2007
12122 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 04:44 PM

11. "GTA5"
In response to Reply # 0

Post can end right here!
Between that and GTA Online(which comes with GTA5),
I just fucked yo whole life up.

https://chriswind.bandcamp.com/track/massage

"You can take an African out of Africa, but you can't take Africa out of the African"
Afro-Americana/Afro-Caribbana/Afro-Latino unite. We are ALL Black!

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 04:51 PM

12. "LOL, right on fam"
In response to Reply # 11

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 05:09 PM

14. "fuck what you heard, Fallout 76 is pretty damn good. "
In response to Reply # 0

its harder, but its right as fuck.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35245 posts
Tue Jun-04-19 08:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "i just started playing ultimate team mode on FIFA last yr"
In response to Reply # 0

i didnt like it way back on NHL '10 so i avoided it on FIFA too...big mistake

im still on the 360 generation so the depth is just a fraction of what it is on current gen, and the shit is STILL sweet

i was late yo getting a 360 and it worked out well for me because im still plowing through a backlog of cheaply priced games. FIFA however, singlehandedly bumped up my timeline for getting an XB ONE by like a full year. now i gotta revisit on NHL too.

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Lobby General Discussion topic #13336430 Previous topic | Next topic