Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13332890

Subject: "when your job/group gets outsourced" Previous topic | Next topic
Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10118 posts
Thu May-16-19 09:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"when your job/group gets outsourced"
Thu May-16-19 09:14 AM by Crash Bandacoot

i'm seeing this happening right now, first time seeing from the
beginning although I've been in environments where the entire f*cking IT
infrastructure was outsourced to one country (American taxpayer
bail out). all sorts of fraudulent activities were going on, it was
amazing. this is a situation where the manager is "too old" and was
complacent (good ole boys). he may get out of it somehow, lol.

anyway, in tech...you gotta stay up-to-date with modern/new
technologies, be a jack-of-all-trades, and be cost-effective.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Nah, I'm getting out. Fuck React, Angular, etc.
May 16th 2019
lol, agreed
May 16th 2019
my company has been laying folks
May 16th 2019
this is why stacking is a must
May 16th 2019
The Plight of the Graying Tech Worker
May 16th 2019
Ageism is *very* real in the tech industry
May 16th 2019
too funny:
May 16th 2019
      haha, dang.
May 16th 2019
      I'd watch this movie
May 16th 2019
Shit, this is grim
May 16th 2019
as the graphics* guy in print this is a battle right now
May 16th 2019
automation will take awhile
May 16th 2019
just give everyone $1000/mo
May 16th 2019
Suggestion for you for the industry software...
May 16th 2019
      there arent many players in the software side for this industry
May 16th 2019
           That's a no-go because it defeats the purpose.
May 16th 2019
                this is fun
May 16th 2019
I love my hobbies.
May 16th 2019
yep
May 16th 2019
If you are in IT I strongly suggest becoming a Agile PM , CSM, or RTE
May 16th 2019
I was working on getting a pmp, but
May 16th 2019
Agile PM...hmm
May 17th 2019

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13565 posts
Thu May-16-19 09:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Nah, I'm getting out. Fuck React, Angular, etc."
In response to Reply # 0

>anyway, in tech...you gotta stay up-to-date with modern/new
>technologies, be a jack-of-all-trades, and be cost-effective.

Every few years all new buggy, poorly-documented shit to learn that folks foam at the mouth over because it allows easy animated buttons or something else that doesn't add value to the content. I'm a web dev, obviously.

Crash Bandacoot
10118 posts
Thu May-16-19 09:24 AM

2. "lol, agreed"
In response to Reply # 1
Thu May-16-19 09:25 AM by Crash Bandacoot

it's a joke. companies make a lot of money off of buggy/poorly
documented software, lol.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1126333869207298048

tariqhu
Charter member
17883 posts
Thu May-16-19 09:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "my company has been laying folks"
In response to Reply # 0

off for years and selling whole departments to IBM. a friend's dept got moved to IBM. less than year later, her team was let go from there.

we can fight all the things related to keeping a job, except aging. that's always gonna be an issue.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Crash Bandacoot
10118 posts
Thu May-16-19 10:19 AM

4. "this is why stacking is a must"
In response to Reply # 3

imo, can't really rely on 401ks and such. finding alternative solutions
is a must.

>off for years and selling whole departments to IBM. a
>friend's dept got moved to IBM. less than year later, her team
>was let go from there.
>
>we can fight all the things related to keeping a job, except
>aging. that's always gonna be an issue.

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Thu May-16-19 10:20 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "The Plight of the Graying Tech Worker"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu May-16-19 10:39 AM by Creole

That's the title of a case study my dad recently sent to me.

https://sloanreview.mit.edu/article/the-plight-of-the-graying-tech-worker/

I didn't wanna pay to read it but I can see how it is definitely real just by the title alone.

From excerpts I've seen here and there, a younger and more globally-centered talent pool renders old-heads damned near obsolete. My entire office is practically Asian (Indians) who handle almost all of the development efforts.

In the next couple of years, I've gotta create a few more streams of income that aren't solely based on me working for some corporation as an employee.

--- praying for peace, love, and power

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13565 posts
Thu May-16-19 10:29 AM

6. "Ageism is *very* real in the tech industry"
In response to Reply # 5

Older workers become managers, have specialized hard-to-replace skill sets or leave the industry it seems.

Web design/development is especially bad for this, since very little of the work nowadays even involves raw programming. Just setting up whatever new framework/library/cms/plugin/etc that's en vogue.

I'm with you... working on getting other sources of income, while working on a few of my own programming projects.

Crash Bandacoot
10118 posts
Thu May-16-19 10:34 AM

8. "too funny:"
In response to Reply # 5

..."But not everyone is happy with the current system, most notably
older tech workers. In an effort to secure work in the booming Silicon
Valley economy, for example, older workers have been scrambling to
learn new coding skills and making other changes (including updating
their wardrobes and even undergoing plastic surgery) in order to appear
more youthful."

tariqhu
Charter member
17883 posts
Thu May-16-19 10:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "haha, dang."
In response to Reply # 8

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Thu May-16-19 10:57 AM

10. "I'd watch this movie"
In response to Reply # 8

>older workers have been ... making other changes (including updating >their wardrobes and even undergoing plastic surgery) in order to >appear more youthful."

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Thu May-16-19 10:33 AM

7. "Shit, this is grim"
In response to Reply # 0

My field is a wreck too, but this sounds different by kind, not just degree. Good luck out there. Solidarity, etc.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Thu May-16-19 11:04 AM

11. "as the graphics* guy in print this is a battle right now"
In response to Reply # 0

at my old job i got hired as the second person due to the workload. graphics with an asterisk because it was really prepress work. so its taking the files designers would create and making sure they would print correctly and in this case make the plates that would be used for printing.

we had old equipment and the adobe suite. eventually the dude that hired was let go and i brought someone else in. we got new equipment and industry specific software. lots of money. brought in a 3rd person.

the last 2 years i was there the boss kept hinting that we needed to look into outsourcing the work. i stalled on that. it was part of the reason why i left. figured if i can find a good job that will at least buy my reports some additional time if not ensure their job.

last i heard one of them was let go and they are starting to outsource the work.

at my current job they were outsourcing a lot of the work. so i came in with the intention to improve the communication and bring some of it in-house. based on my old job i dont see it being viable to bring in equipment to make the plates in house. so much expense and you would need so much work to justify. so im at times just checking in on what our vendor does. i do some of the work i was expecting to but more than i thought or wanted is being outsource. the industry software is so expensive that i dont know if we will ever bring it in-house.

im guessing when the software gets good enough this will be a field that is automated away. at least at the tech level. you will need to be involved in other departments and the "graphics" portion will just be part of what you do.

Crash Bandacoot
10118 posts
Thu May-16-19 12:27 PM

13. "automation will take awhile"
In response to Reply # 11

some things can not be automated in the current state.
but yeah, it's all about "solutions" and "innovation" meanwhile,
quality of life appears to take hits.

mista k5
16414 posts
Thu May-16-19 12:42 PM

16. "just give everyone $1000/mo"
In response to Reply # 13

it is scary how much can already be automated. now i do find the automated stuff will still have some flaws here and there but i really wont be surprised if this becomes of more a decision type of position. you look at some artwork, you select 5 options and the software takes care of everything that needs to be done.

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Thu May-16-19 12:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "Suggestion for you for the industry software..."
In response to Reply # 11

I'm not sure if it is feasible for your situation but you could get what you guys need via an applicable SaaS which might be cheaper than procuring the software for installation on "x" amount of computers.

If you guys haven't thought about it before and if you wanna impress the big folks even more, it's an idea you could research and pitch to them.

mista k5
16414 posts
Thu May-16-19 12:45 PM

17. "there arent many players in the software side for this industry"
In response to Reply # 15

theres one major one and recently one that is trying to challenge them.

the main player did start offering subscriptions a couple of years back. the thing is in order to get to the next level you need to purchase/subscribe to 3 different softwares just to do what the 3rd software does.

so it is hard to justify purchasing the one software you need knowing you need to buy the other 2 but wont really use them unless you bring everything in-house. then youre looking at a 20% utilization rate for the equipment and half of the software. with all things considered youre probably breaking even vs outsourcing the work.

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Thu May-16-19 12:50 PM

18. "That's a no-go because it defeats the purpose. "
In response to Reply # 17
Thu May-16-19 12:52 PM by Creole

> with all things considered youre probably breaking
>even vs outsourcing the work.

Edit:
However, this sounds like a gap in the industry that can be filled as far as software is concerned. Hmmm...

OKP Designs, Solutions, and Services, Inc!

mista k5
16414 posts
Thu May-16-19 03:59 PM

21. "this is fun"
In response to Reply # 18

i think these folks may have already made a solution to this.

pretty much the prepress houses will have their software and the customers (us in this case) can get access to some of these tools via a web interface. we discussed doing this in NO with our vendor. just did a test for a file and gotta say its pretty cool.

i really doubt the software costs as much as the company sells it for but i guess this is an option.

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Thu May-16-19 11:46 AM

12. "I love my hobbies."
In response to Reply # 0

Crash Bandacoot
10118 posts
Thu May-16-19 12:28 PM

14. "yep"
In response to Reply # 12

don't know what would happen without them

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Thu May-16-19 12:56 PM

19. "If you are in IT I strongly suggest becoming a Agile PM , CSM, or RTE"
In response to Reply # 0

The skillset is desperately needed, the salary is great, and the workload is light.

β€œIt was the evidence from science and history that prompted me to abandon my atheism and become a Christian.” β€” Lee Strobel, The Case for Christ

tariqhu
Charter member
17883 posts
Thu May-16-19 01:09 PM

20. "I was working on getting a pmp, but"
In response to Reply # 19

my job got heavily involved with ServiceNow. going to get the system admin cert for that and go from there. will likely tackle that pmp again later this year.

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Fri May-17-19 06:50 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
22. "Agile PM...hmm"
In response to Reply # 19

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://Tupreme.com

Lobby General Discussion topic #13332890 Previous topic | Next topic