Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13331581

Subject: "Do you work from home? What's your technology set-up?" Previous topic | Next topic
Cam
Charter member
13287 posts
Thu May-09-19 11:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Do you work from home? What's your technology set-up?"

I'm fishing for ideas.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
wife does....what kinda ideas you looking for?
May 09th 2019
I have a standing desk and a dockable laptop in my work office.
May 09th 2019
      We have a 27" monitor w/ both HDMI & DVI-D inputs....
May 09th 2019
           in dedicated office on a desk?
May 09th 2019
                sorry, yep, dedicated desk. an Elfa configuration (link)
May 09th 2019
I need some whole house wifi ideas
May 09th 2019
I've been using this cheap Tenda brand mesh system....
May 09th 2019
can you disable the cable wifi?
May 09th 2019
sometimes and just my reg internet and my work laptop
May 09th 2019
this
May 09th 2019
This is me now
May 09th 2019
Trying to get a docking station
May 09th 2019
Yup
May 09th 2019
This poast is so disrespectful
May 09th 2019
just a laptop
May 10th 2019
I recently got a little bamboo laptop board
May 10th 2019

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44619 posts
Thu May-09-19 11:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "wife does....what kinda ideas you looking for?"
In response to Reply # 0

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

Cam
Charter member
13287 posts
Thu May-09-19 11:35 AM

4. "I have a standing desk and a dockable laptop in my work office."
In response to Reply # 1
Thu May-09-19 11:46 AM by Cam

It's comfortable.
But at home I hate working from a laptop, I'm trying to decide about a home dock solution, maybe something mobile.
an updated version of this i'm thinking.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81s6StiHfqL._SL1500_.jpg

FLUIDJ
44619 posts
Thu May-09-19 11:48 AM

8. "We have a 27" monitor w/ both HDMI & DVI-D inputs...."
In response to Reply # 4

She plugs her work issued Dell laptop in and uses a wireless mouse and keyboard and she's all set.

I also plug in my personal MacBook Pro and do the same when I do my design related work for my personal business.

When I work from home (rare) for my day job, i'll bring my work issued Surface Pro home and also plug that into the same monitor .

This is the keyboard that we use and it works for up to 3 different devices:

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Multi-Device-Wireless-Keyboard-Computer/dp/B01LZAK8MM/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=Logitech+keyboard&qid=1557420341&s=gateway&sr=8-6

This is the mouse I use (it also works on 3 different devices, but I only use it for my macbook & my work issued Surface Pro. My wife uses her own wireless mouse)

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Cross-Computer-Control-Graphite/dp/B071YZJ1G1/ref=sr_1_9?crid=1CH8J893PCU2Q&keywords=logitech+wireless+mouse&qid=1557420413&s=gateway&sprefix=Logitech+wire%2Caps%2C123&sr=8-9

We have a couple of wireless printers too... One laser and one InkJet. They kinda janky though....the newer ones probably integrate in a wireless household better than ours which are pretty much 1st generation wireless joints...

Cam
Charter member
13287 posts
Thu May-09-19 11:58 AM

10. "in dedicated office on a desk?"
In response to Reply # 8

FLUIDJ
44619 posts
Thu May-09-19 12:13 PM

12. "sorry, yep, dedicated desk. an Elfa configuration (link)"
In response to Reply # 10

https://www.containerstore.com/s/elfa/best-selling-solutions/12

It's located in a dedicated room now, but it used to be in the guest room and before that it was in the open "Den/kids play room" (that lasted about 6 months lol)

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10884 posts
Thu May-09-19 11:30 AM

2. "I need some whole house wifi ideas"
In response to Reply # 0

Cable drop is in the basement and I've been using the cable companies wifi router so far. It covers most of the house but I also bought a 3rd party wifi extender because there are pockets upstairs where I can't get consistent connection to the cable wifi router.

Unfortunately I've now got 4 slightly different wifi networks (Cable wifi, cable wifi guest, extender 2g, and extender 5g). What are ya'll using to get a seamless wifi connection at home?

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

FLUIDJ
44619 posts
Thu May-09-19 11:33 AM

3. "I've been using this cheap Tenda brand mesh system...."
In response to Reply # 2

https://www.amazon.com/Tenda-MW6-802-11AC-Mu-Mimo-System/dp/B076JLJVTG/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=tenda&qid=1557419490&s=gateway&sr=8-3

I couldn't stomach paying the cost of the Google & other more expensive mesh systems so I took a chance on this joint since it's so cheap in comparison...
So far, nearly a year in...and i've had no issues. It's covering 3 levels of the house just fine.

Rjcc
Charter member
94996 posts
Thu May-09-19 11:51 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "can you disable the cable wifi?"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu May-09-19 11:56 AM by Rjcc

idk how you have the bands setup, but having multiple networks on the same frequency could be messing things up.

also, I don't know how you have the extenders connected or if you have separate channels for them, but powerline networking is pretty fast if you want to free up some wireless bandwidth.

otherwise, the mesh networking suggestion seems pretty good, I've heard good things.

going with your own router may make things a lot better. also I don't know how close your neighbors are -- my in-laws live in the city, and because *everybody* has the same comcast 2g wifi setup and the houses are so close together, the frequency is completely flooded.

I added a new router, manually set the frequency for 2g and got mostof their stuff on 5g, and they could watch netflix again which wasn't working at all before.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

walihorse
Member since Aug 03rd 2006
16125 posts
Thu May-09-19 11:35 AM

5. "sometimes and just my reg internet and my work laptop"
In response to Reply # 0

żIf a fat guy falls in the woods and there is no one around to see it, do the trees laugh?

tariqhu
Charter member
17904 posts
Thu May-09-19 11:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "this"
In response to Reply # 5

I only do this once or twice a week. and not even every week. so I'm not investing into equipment.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Cam
Charter member
13287 posts
Thu May-09-19 11:42 AM

7. "This is me now"
In response to Reply # 5

bigkarma
Charter member
7859 posts
Thu May-09-19 12:03 PM

11. "Trying to get a docking station"
In response to Reply # 0

Currently, I work from home two days a week, and sometimes over the weekend. I have been just using my laptop, at the kitchen table and getting on my home wifi. That set-up has gotten old. It's uncomfortable to sit at the kitchen table for hours at a time.

I actually have a home office setup, with 32" monitor and comfy office chair, but I haven't put in the time to hook it up to be able to go back and forth with my personal desktop.

In the office I have a docking station for my laptop and dual 19" monitors. I want to get a similar setup at home. I get a new work laptop next month and I'm trying to requisition an additional docking station for home, so I can use the home office.

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Thu May-09-19 01:43 PM

13. "Yup"
In response to Reply # 0

Jarvis Standing Desk that I mostly sit at
Herman Miller Mirra 2 chair
15" MBP laptop
27" LG 5K monitor
Wireless keyboard and trackpad
AudioEngine speakers with a 10" powered Polk subwoofer
B&O H9i headphones
Google Wifi

I need to do something with my office though. It's basically just a room that holds my desk and a bunch of random shit laying around. I want to make an effort to actually make it nice.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

nonaime
Charter member
3117 posts
Thu May-09-19 01:53 PM

14. "This poast is so disrespectful"
In response to Reply # 0

to High Tech.

I have a rap that puts me on the campus network when I work from home.

~~~~~~~~
A bad Samaritan averaging above average men (c) DOOM

jrocc
Charter member
6518 posts
Fri May-10-19 01:18 PM

15. "just a laptop"
In response to Reply # 0

and my couch

Rjcc
Charter member
94996 posts
Fri May-10-19 01:29 PM

16. "I recently got a little bamboo laptop board"
In response to Reply # 15

I was getting one for my wife (I got her a new laptop and she puts it right on top of a blanket blocking the cooling vents) and I wasn't sure which one she wanted so I got two and kept one for myself.

I like it, it boosts the laptop up a bit so the vents aren't blocked and helps my neck some. I've had lap pads before that were super complicated, but it works for me on my couch

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Lobby General Discussion topic #13331581 Previous topic | Next topic