Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13325442

Subject: "Serial killer in the crib update: lawsuit? Move?" Previous topic | Next topic
jesustrauss
Member since Jul 20th 2006
1839 posts
Tue Apr-09-19 06:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Serial killer in the crib update: lawsuit? Move?"
Tue Apr-09-19 06:44 PM by jesustrauss

Last week I found out a serial killer killed someone in 1989, in the house I bought 1.5 yrs ago. The family that sold it to me didn't disclose that info. Here's all the details: http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13323740

1. I bought the house with the plan of renting rooms, and am not able to pay the entire mortgage myself in the long term.

2. A friend was going to move in at the end of this month, and was very excited about it until finding out about the serial killer. She has since decided not to move in because of this crazy shit.

3. I've done a ton of improvements on the house, from supporting the foundation, replacing the roof, to building a recording studio which I sometimes use for business income. I would like to stay in the house, but can't afford to do it by myself.

4. The family that sold it to me are nice people who were innocent and not involved in the crime in any way shape or form, but ended up with this property, and did not disclose the info when I bought the house. They are not real estate developers or very wealthy as far as I can tell.

5. Legally, this is a weird case. I found a court case that possibly gives precedent to my favor if I sue the family that sold it to me. The questionable part of the precedent is that I bought the house for what I thought was a good deal for this market (they may have been able to sell for more every they had discussed the serial killer info). In Oakland now, I could probably sell the house for more than I spent on it, but because of all the work that I've done on the house, I would prefer to stay. Ethically, I also could not sell the house without sharing info about what had happened there. Precedent case is Reed v King 1983.

Thoughts? Should I sue the family that sold me the house? Should I just try to find renters who don't care?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Why ever mention it? Shit the entire block is developed
Apr 09th 2019
My address is named in an SF Chronicle article about this and
Apr 09th 2019
fucking amen!
Apr 09th 2019
What type of mortgage do you have on the house?
Apr 09th 2019
Primary residence
Apr 09th 2019
Rent to goths
Apr 09th 2019
Cops came in 2013 to rip out my floors
Apr 09th 2019
Correct me if I’m wrong
Apr 09th 2019
What would Cam do?
Apr 10th 2019
Find a roommate who has more shit to worry about and kim
Apr 10th 2019
Set up a serial killer museum. Sells tickets. Get Paid.
Apr 10th 2019

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Tue Apr-09-19 06:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Why ever mention it? Shit the entire block is developed"
In response to Reply # 0

on stolen land that people got butchered over.

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://Tupreme.com

jesustrauss
1839 posts
Tue Apr-09-19 07:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "My address is named in an SF Chronicle article about this and"
In response to Reply # 1

They put this dude away 2 years ago based on evidence that they collected thru my floorboards in 2013 (blood pooled in the floorboards and still there)

The way I found out is cuz the person who was going to move in Googled my house, and found the chronicle article about it. I didn't even know before that, but because the information is public and also now I know some of my neighbors know, I can't in good conscience leave that part out.

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Tue Apr-09-19 08:23 PM

7. "fucking amen!"
In response to Reply # 1

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Tue Apr-09-19 07:04 PM

2. "What type of mortgage do you have on the house?"
In response to Reply # 0

Is it a primary residence mortgage or an investment property mortgage? I ask because if the mortgage is primary residence then you aren’t supposed to rely on rental income to pay it - the approval from the mortgage company would base eligibility and debt to income ratio based on your earnings not including anything related to rental income. Which means it would be difficult to prove in court that you have damages related to the inability to find rental occupants.

Investment property mortgages typically have higher interest rates and require more of a down payment, because the mortgage companies know that your ability to pay the mortgage is reliant on having consistent occupancy so there is greater risk to them (even when that home IS your primary residence as in your case.)

I don’t know. I’m not a lawyer but I used to work in the mortgage industry. This seems like something your real estate agent or the title company or appraiser on the mortgage should have found to let you know about during the purchase process. But I think it would be pretty difficult to prove who would be at fault and actually responsible for any of your damages in this case IMO.

jesustrauss
1839 posts
Tue Apr-09-19 07:13 PM

4. "Primary residence"
In response to Reply # 2

But a family member cosigned to help me buy a home... technically that family member makes more than I do and could afford it, but in our agreement is not financially throwing down.

handle
Charter member
18950 posts
Tue Apr-09-19 07:21 PM

5. "Rent to goths"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Apr-09-19 07:23 PM by handle

Seriously, don't mention it to people.

If they ask tell them that crimes have happened all over the city and that it is like an Airplane crash or lightning stirkes - that it rarely happens twice in the same space.

Seriously, people could have been murdered in my house before I bought it - I have no idea.

But there are no such things as ghosts.

A quick Google search says these happened in 1991??? That's ancient history.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

jesustrauss
1839 posts
Tue Apr-09-19 07:59 PM

6. "Cops came in 2013 to rip out my floors"
In response to Reply # 5

And he was convicted 6 months before I bought the house in 2017.

AFRICAN
Charter member
11871 posts
Tue Apr-09-19 08:48 PM

8. "Correct me if I’m wrong "
In response to Reply # 0

Didn’t you quit a cushy job at Aljazeera because you weren’t comfortable?
With all due respect you seem finicky as fuck.
If you adhere to any belief system perform a ritual and keep that house.
If not keep that house unless you’re turning a profit.

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
instagram:@3rdworldview
Blessed be the Lord /who believe any mess they read up on the message board

silenttype
Member since Jul 27th 2006
2250 posts
Wed Apr-10-19 07:32 AM

9. "What would Cam do?"
In response to Reply # 0

That interview will always be gold to me

------

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Wed Apr-10-19 07:39 AM

10. "Find a roommate who has more shit to worry about and kim"
In response to Reply # 0

Unless the house is haunted and fucking with you at night stop tripping.

Is there a serial killer tour bus pointing your house out?

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13572 posts
Wed Apr-10-19 07:42 AM

11. "Set up a serial killer museum. Sells tickets. Get Paid."
In response to Reply # 0

I'd just not mention it to anyone if they are gonna trip.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13325442 Previous topic | Next topic