Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13323301

Subject: "job confidence.." Previous topic | Next topic
tariqhu
Charter member
17904 posts
Fri Mar-29-19 12:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"job confidence.."

this imposter syndrome was catching up to me this week. feel like I'm about to be exposed at any moment.

was feeling like I was doing some shit wrong earlier. got some help and the help was also struggling. felt better lol.

I'm still wondering if I'm on the wrong team or doing wrong roll. this always learning shit gets old sometimes.

last time you felt in over your head?

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I've been feeling like i'm either the smartest person here or the
Mar 29th 2019
my previous team
Mar 29th 2019
ive been dealing with that most of this year
Mar 29th 2019
I bet you'll be fine.
Mar 29th 2019
Never felt that. Has me thinking I don't challenge myself enough
Mar 29th 2019
I'm feeling it lately, but I'm almost certain
Mar 29th 2019
      Cool sounds exciting
Mar 29th 2019
There's a reason you're there
Mar 29th 2019
thanks.
Mar 29th 2019
      project management was a task i took up at the old gig
Mar 29th 2019
i used to suffer from that syndrome...
Mar 29th 2019
I'm sure there's some of that.
Mar 29th 2019
Swim fast...
Mar 29th 2019
definitely a swim fast sittuation.
Mar 29th 2019
kaiser or hoagie?
Mar 29th 2019
Jokes here level 1
Mar 29th 2019
dang lol
Mar 29th 2019
Drowning right now
Mar 29th 2019
sounds like its time for a new job.
Mar 29th 2019
      Probably
Mar 29th 2019
Chile today I did inventory receiving for the first time.
Mar 29th 2019

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Fri Mar-29-19 12:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I've been feeling like i'm either the smartest person here or the "
In response to Reply # 0

dumbest for at least the past 5 years...

But these dummies always do/say something so stupid that tips me back over to the positive side of the equation...

It's a helluva roller coaster....

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

tariqhu
Charter member
17904 posts
Fri Mar-29-19 01:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "my previous team "
In response to Reply # 1

was prolly the smartest that I'd even been on, but I felt like I fit right in based on the job.

but this one guy was prolly the smartest person I know. he was helpful, but as soon as he started talking, you knew he was in a different league, two galaxies away.

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16416 posts
Fri Mar-29-19 12:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "ive been dealing with that most of this year"
In response to Reply # 0

started in like december

ive been doing this type of work for 11 years now. i did take some classes in college that helped prepare me for it but it wasnt an industry i expected to be in. the print world is some voodoo stuff, especially flexo. so most of the practical day to day stuff i learned on the job.

50% probably was from direct training from my supervisor at my old job. the rest was trial and error. digging into as much info as i could find. trying out some stuff and it turning out horribly. some training by vendors. some training specific to this industry.

so my old boss (owner of the company) would talk me up to anyone he talked to. kind of his MO for everyone. so folks at my current company were victims of this talking and big a reason they hired me away.

although it is the same industry there are some key difference that did cause me worry when i was making the move. the first year or so went super smooth. the last three months have been quite a bit of issues.

some have been just straight up errors that can be attributed to laziness. others have been the type of issues where you question yourself. like, why didnt i notice this?? why didnt i do this differently? should i have expected that result??

i feel like i know 75% of what i should know to be an actual expert in this. this probably puts me in the top 10% though lol

i have to remind myself that i am good, maybe great at this. doesnt mean i wont have problems, doesnt mean i cant keep improving.

tariqhu
Charter member
17904 posts
Fri Mar-29-19 01:37 PM

9. "I bet you'll be fine."
In response to Reply # 2

its impossible to know all the ins/outs of any gig unless you been there 30 years.

I'm pretty much at ground zero with my knowledge. swimming upstream as this work comes in. I'm getting all the help I can, but folks are busy with their own jobs.

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Fri Mar-29-19 12:58 PM

3. "Never felt that. Has me thinking I don't challenge myself enough "
In response to Reply # 0

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

tariqhu
Charter member
17904 posts
Fri Mar-29-19 01:26 PM

6. "I'm feeling it lately, but I'm almost certain"
In response to Reply # 3

this is just an experience level thing. Once I get my bearing of this new gig, I'll be aight.

I took this job on a whim. its stuff I've never done before. challenge accepted.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Fri Mar-29-19 02:16 PM

14. "Cool sounds exciting"
In response to Reply # 6
Fri Mar-29-19 02:18 PM by Atillah Moor

The bit of doubt is like you said just a part of learning new stuff

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40927 posts
Fri Mar-29-19 12:58 PM

4. "There's a reason you're there"
In response to Reply # 0

A lot if things had to go right in order for you to get to that position.

Usually people who are good at something think they're bad at it because they over think it, understand the full complexity of the task at hand

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

tariqhu
Charter member
17904 posts
Fri Mar-29-19 01:34 PM

8. "thanks. "
In response to Reply # 4

this one is throwing me for a loop because of the lack of training, change of roles, and just newness.

I took the job in project management, never having do it before. was beginning to pick up on it when everything changed. my whole team had to start doing new shit.

the pace hasn't slowed and I've had little actual work to do. so learning has been tricky.

plus with my company laying folks off, there's a lot happening. there were 3 of us in my role. all of us were new to it. 2 of them just retired.

this bag just got heavier. so I'll have to get stronger. quickly.

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16416 posts
Fri Mar-29-19 03:13 PM

17. "project management was a task i took up at the old gig"
In response to Reply # 8

i definitely was an imposter in that. not training on it at all. i was thrust into it because i helped them implement a new process with a machine they had purchased and the people in charge of it knew nothing but what the sales people told them.

so not only was i preparing the files all of a sudden i was actually running the machine and training others on how to run it. looking for efficiencies, keeping track of production and managing forecasts.

so that led to researching new equipment, overseeing the negotiation, purchasing, installation and implementation. did that only like 3/4 major purchases.

mind you i was still doing my graphic tasks and IT tasks i had picked up in the same manner lol. by the time i was ready to leave i had pushed most of my graphics and IT duties to others because you do need to focus as much as possible on project management. especially if you will constantly manage multiple projects.

so on project management i definitely got into gantt charts and such. if you have downtime at home or at the gig just google project management. theres a lot of stuff out there. in the end if you know how to manage time and delegate activities youll be good.

like the other poster said, they hired you for a reason. dont doubt it. lean on whomever you can. know that others are actually faking the funk. you got it.

Cam
Charter member
13287 posts
Fri Mar-29-19 01:16 PM

5. "i used to suffer from that syndrome..."
In response to Reply # 0

until i realized very often, during times of turmoil and uncertainty, these motherfuckers barely know shit, and just pretend to, by talking their shit well enough for others to believe they do, then they believe it themselves.

tariqhu
Charter member
17904 posts
Fri Mar-29-19 01:53 PM

11. "I'm sure there's some of that."
In response to Reply # 5

got help this morning on an issue. thought I was way off in what I was doing. the dev guy jumped on a call and said I was going the right direction.

while on the call, he was struggling to get it also. that made me feel way better about it.

Creole
Charter member
15427 posts
Fri Mar-29-19 01:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "Swim fast..."
In response to Reply # 0

Eventually, you catch up. By the time you do, you also realize you knew (know) more than everyone else.

Do like others do and just talk a good game until you get it together. And it never hurts to admit that you just don't know something.

Most prefer a person have that type of humility along with the commitment to find what it needed to help them figure it out.

--- praying for peace, love, and power

tariqhu
Charter member
17904 posts
Fri Mar-29-19 01:57 PM

12. "definitely a swim fast sittuation."
In response to Reply # 10

I straight up tell folks I don't know. no shame. the expectations will be ridic if I don't.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Mar-29-19 02:06 PM

13. "kaiser or hoagie?"
In response to Reply # 0

>I'm still wondering if I'm on the wrong team or doing wrong
>roll.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Fri Mar-29-19 02:19 PM

15. "Jokes here level 1"
In response to Reply # 13

Any Apex Legends fans out there lol

tariqhu
Charter member
17904 posts
Fri Mar-29-19 03:48 PM

19. "dang lol"
In response to Reply # 13

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Fri Mar-29-19 02:23 PM

16. "Drowning right now"
In response to Reply # 0

I've been doing this for 10 years but sometimes I feel like I'm just like out of gas and have no clue what do or desire to do it. Like my brain is just over it. So then I slack. And then I stress out about slacking.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

tariqhu
Charter member
17904 posts
Fri Mar-29-19 03:47 PM

18. "sounds like its time for a new job."
In response to Reply # 16

I was like that in my old job. done it for years. knew it very well. got bored. needed to grow.

now, I'm somewhat overwhelmed. hopefully this won't last long.

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Fri Mar-29-19 04:20 PM

21. "Probably"
In response to Reply # 18

So much about this job is great though, would be tough to leave.

And I do this thing where I freak myself out and think everything is terrible and then realize later that I was stressing about nothing. Like Ive been working on this project and thinking I didn't know what I was doing and had to present my progress on it today. People thought it was great. So I was worrying about nothing.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

godleeluv
Member since Jun 11th 2013
5861 posts
Fri Mar-29-19 04:13 PM

20. "Chile today I did inventory receiving for the first time. "
In response to Reply # 0

Felt great. Did it with no one showing me just verbal instruction. The. Went to lunch

Came back and my manager was in the back. He apparently got a call from the assistant manager who is on vacay saying the shipment was all fucked up. The manager came while I was at lunch and basically fussed everyone here out about it. I walk in on my phone all jolly and they are trying to tell me that the manager is back there pissed. I was like ok cool. Fuck it. So I went back there and he is stressing. Then he looks at what I did and was like you did the receiving exactly right. I’m not sure what the assistant manager was talking about. So he calls him and he checks it again and they both start apologizing to me telling me how valuable I am to the company.

Shit I know. I’m the best thing that ever happened to my store! πŸ™‹πŸ½β€β™€οΈπŸ™‹πŸ½β€β™€οΈπŸ™‹πŸ½β€β™€οΈβ˜ΊοΈβ˜ΊοΈβ˜ΊοΈ
... "A Beautiful Struggle"
https://m.facebook.com/jamelabullock
Www.reverbnation.com/jamela

MELa
Musically.Entertaining.Lyrically.Alluring.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13323301 Previous topic | Next topic