Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13319339

Subject: "Do you feel that these boards are open to the perspectives of feminists ..." Previous topic | Next topic
islanderre
Member since Mar 05th 2019
6 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 11:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: Do you feel that these boards are open to the perspectives of feminists ..."

Hoping folks can help me out with something. As part of my assignment for a class I had to pick a website, then observe and assess whether or not it was a feminist (of color) and racialized space. I obviously picked these boards and created a new profile to complete my evaluation.

I have been monitoring threads and have developed some of my own conclusions, but I would be interested to see what y'all think. If you could respond to the poll or ideally leave your thoughts below on whether these boards are friendly to feminist and queer perspectives, especially those from folks of color, I would appreciate it.

Happy to share my final assignment here should anyone be interested, and happy to talk more about racialization, online feminism, or my own positionality. Also feel free to tell me to fuck off.

Thanks

Poll result (28 votes)
Yes (9 votes)Vote
Nah (10 votes)Vote
Feminist only (0 votes)Vote
Queer only (0 votes)Vote
Racialized space (8 votes)Vote
Something else (please expand below) (1 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Hahaha. Good luck getting quality data here
Mar 13th 2019
RE: Hahaha. Good luck getting quality data here
Mar 13th 2019
Yes.
Mar 13th 2019
RE: Yes.
Mar 13th 2019
      ?
Mar 13th 2019
      RE: ?
Mar 13th 2019
           ok
Mar 13th 2019
                RE: ok
Mar 13th 2019
Mar 13th 2019
      Depends on what you mean by "safe" (some perspective):
Mar 13th 2019
pretty much anything goes on GD
Mar 13th 2019
The women just lurk now, so there's no actual discussion.
Mar 13th 2019
or when it devolves into namecalling rather than discussion
Mar 13th 2019
RE: or when it devolves into namecalling rather than discussion
Mar 13th 2019
About 2014 - 2015-ish.
Mar 13th 2019
nah
Mar 13th 2019
      Voodoo dropped 11 months after this site started
Mar 13th 2019
           sure did
Mar 13th 2019
                If a shift happens almost from the word go, then it's not really a shift...
Mar 13th 2019
                     what we are typing isn't particularly different
Mar 13th 2019
It doesn't devolve, there are posters that blatantly derail
Mar 13th 2019
      there was a time when that would get ignored
Mar 13th 2019
^has the best words
Mar 13th 2019
can you define 'racialized'
Mar 13th 2019
As an evolution yes but we aren't there yet
Mar 13th 2019
I agree with this.
Mar 13th 2019
This is a pretty good summation
Mar 13th 2019
I would say the only safe spaces for women online are women
Mar 13th 2019
Can you define what you mean by "safe space?"
Mar 13th 2019
      OP used the term. I figure it means a space women won't get harassed
Mar 13th 2019
           The purpose of social media is the share and connect...
Mar 13th 2019
absolutely.
Mar 13th 2019
Why here?
Mar 13th 2019
Wait, y’all are actually responding?
Mar 13th 2019
Can we put the discussion back in general discussion?
Mar 13th 2019
      Hi, I’m a random alias in the age of Tucker Carlson, Jacob Wohl
Mar 13th 2019
           But that threat is always here
Mar 13th 2019
These males are only open when it doesn't call them out
Mar 13th 2019
Nah.
Mar 13th 2019
huh?
Mar 13th 2019
the hostile defensiveness to your post though, lol...
Mar 13th 2019
Nope
Mar 13th 2019
Why bother to even lurk then?
Mar 13th 2019
this that "if you don't like the country then leave" MAGA response lol
Apr 11th 2019
*stands in this line* Yup. I would say okp is a racialized space but
Mar 13th 2019
      I agree with everything you wrote
Mar 14th 2019
Speaking of Feminism, anyone see this SNL skit?
Mar 13th 2019
I had not seen it. That was funny
Apr 11th 2019
No
Mar 13th 2019
i think it could be if it was reflected in the artistry of music acts
Mar 13th 2019
Here is something I learned from OKP
Mar 16th 2019
dialectical materialism and actual historical accuracy
Mar 16th 2019
No. These boards pushed all of those voices out of over time.
Mar 18th 2019
RE: Do you feel that these boards are open to the perspectives of femini...
Apr 10th 2019
Hell no.
Apr 11th 2019
The replies to that toxic masculinity thread were disheartening
Apr 11th 2019
this.
Apr 11th 2019
feminist (of color) and racialized space
Apr 11th 2019
"racialized"
Apr 11th 2019
lol i didn't even notice that
Apr 11th 2019
hell no.
Apr 11th 2019

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 11:05 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Hahaha. Good luck getting quality data here"
In response to Reply # 0

islanderre
6 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 11:07 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Hahaha. Good luck getting quality data here"
In response to Reply # 1

>
haha just hoping to get some thoughtful responses, fully prepared to sift through whatever comes my way

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13561 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 11:12 AM

3. "Yes. "
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Mar-13-19 11:16 AM by flipnile

I see topics *relating* to feminism discussed fairly often. Not sure how long you've been here, but I'd challenge you to find some anti-feminism posts on this board where the poster wasn't immediately shot down. Certain posters on this board get *furious* about the topic. There are most-likely male feminists posting here. There were a bit more 'radical feminists' here, but I think most of them left for twitter where they can be part of a larger group.

We used to have a few queer posters here too, but they've all left as well.

The proof is in the search bar.

islanderre
6 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 11:20 AM

7. "RE: Yes. "
In response to Reply # 3

I completely agree, it is very easy to find examples that indicate receptiveness to feminist and queer perspectives. I guess my larger question is whether these boards, holistically and ethnographically, are 'safe' for feminists and queer people of color. Whether the totality of the culture on these boards is consistently aligned with these views. Anti-feminist posts are one thing, but I guess I am curious as to what structural realities pushed some of those radical feminists to move to Twitter, to use your example.

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 11:24 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "?"
In response to Reply # 7
Wed Mar-13-19 11:29 AM by Selah

>Whether the totality of the culture on these
>boards is consistently aligned with these views.

totality?

is the totality of ANY culture anywhere "consistently aligned" with anything?

thats a rough one to prove

as for this:

>what structural realities pushed some of those radical feminists
>to move to Twitter, to use your example

I'm curious as to what you mean by "stuctural realities" as opposed to internal reasoning

for example, some internally sourced reasons could include:

many folks like the echo chamber of those with like opinion. any kind of "push back" and they leave for a friendlier more "co-signy" (alternative word: supporting) environment

many folks get bored

many folks "grow out" of certain internet cultures

many folks choose whatever platform is more popular at the moment in an effort to reach more (or less) of an audience

many folks want to monetize their opinion, and can't do that on someone else's platform

none of these are "structural" per se

islanderre
6 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 11:38 AM

15. "RE: ?"
In response to Reply # 8

I wouldn't say its about proving anything, I'm not testing a hypothesis but trying to understand how the construction of this online space results in general patterns of behavior which might, consciously or not, marginalize certain users. Obviously nowhere online am I going to find a monoculture universally aligned with feminst and queer persepctives, especially as there is not consensus within these communities themselves.

Selah
16484 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 12:03 PM

24. "ok"
In response to Reply # 15

>I wouldn't say its about proving anything, I'm not testing a
>hypothesis but trying to understand how the construction of
>this online space results in general patterns of behavior
>which might, consciously or not, marginalize certain users.

CONSTRUCTION of an online space that results in behavioral patterns?

outside of how the boards are delineated, or perhaps how they are moderated, I don't really see how that could be a thing

>Obviously nowhere online am I going to find a monoculture
>universally aligned with feminst and queer persepctives,
>especially as there is not consensus within these communities
>themselves.

that is exactly my point, which made your premise kinda fuzzy

no harm no foul

islanderre
6 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 12:15 PM

27. "RE: ok"
In response to Reply # 24

>CONSTRUCTION of an online space that results in behavioral
>patterns?
>
>outside of how the boards are delineated, or perhaps how they
>are moderated, I don't really see how that could be a thing

Construction from a design perspective has a lot to do with it, I think that moderation and design have a huge influence on normative behavior which could perpetuate certain patterns of exclusion

I am also instructed in site 'consruction' through the lens of social constructionism, or how the imagined communities of human social existence come together in online spaces. Any thoughts on the construction of community here?

I appreciate all your thoughtful responses

Selah
16484 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 01:33 PM

29. "..."
In response to Reply # 27
Wed Mar-13-19 01:43 PM by Selah

>I am also instructed in site 'consruction' through the lens of
>social constructionism, or how the imagined communities of
>human social existence come together in online spaces. Any
>thoughts on the construction of community here?

my observation is that it's pretty organic from a user perspective

folks have discourse online, find commonalities and investigate further (via interaction) in real world spaces

i can say there used to be (as mentioned elsewhere) more "meet ups" in certain local spaces (philly, new york, dallas, LA, for example) and even around more "social constuct" areas (DJs, Writers, O-GayPlayers). folk would gather or attend events (parties, concerts, etc) together. this isn't as much a thing anymore. the apogee of this were the NATIONAL "reunions" where posters/lurkers would all gather over some weekend. it took people willing to do the legwork or finding hotels and coordinating activities - folk who believed that the "us" was worth nurturing. parenthetically, to my recollection, these volunteers were always a female or group of them (at minimum in the lead).

as time went on the reunions died out both due to:
- the lower amount of available time to put in the work (and fewer folks willing to take on the responsibility)
- certain events @ the reunions which kinda soured the joyfulness of them. In particular, the after-effect of folks gossiping about some of the more salacious behavior that went on, duplicitous behavior where face-to-face folks were cool then later getting on the boards to talk badly about folks, and even a divide between the participants and non-participants (where it became an in-vs-out crowd thing)

the site itself used to foster the "fam" aspect through putting out targeted merchandise (shirts with sayings tied to specifically to board concepts, ideas, or slang), Quest used to give out tickets to shows and whatnot, or hook folks up with backstage passes on some "next 10 posters to reply get the goods". Angieee was like the cool big-sister who would send people personal gifts and notes of encouragement

then, as site popularity grew, Ang started writing books and working on her career, and the Roots (and associated artists) got bigger - Okayplayer became more of a monetized brand than a community in the same way. people still interacted but more like other sites where it became about a space to "waste time" as opposed to a place where there was intentional effort to be in one another's lives.

little of this had to do with fostering feminism (or the other sub-genres/groupings you highlighted) directly - if anything it was more about BEING who you are and that presenting whatever "voice" your perspective was bringing

flipnile
13561 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 11:33 AM

11. "Depends on what you mean by "safe" (some perspective):"
In response to Reply # 7
Wed Mar-13-19 11:40 AM by flipnile

Safe from dissenting points of view, ideas or beliefs? NO.

This is why I believe that many have left for other forms of social media. Not everyone agrees on everything here, and many of us have radically different points of view on the same subject. There isn't a list of people that you follow or block here, or any filters, so everyone is exposed to everything.

On twitter/IG/facebook/etc., one can tailor their timeline, friends list, followers, etc. so that they are ONLY exposed to the types of news, information and posts that they WANT to be exposed to.

For many people, an online environment with differing opinions = NOT SAFE, while an online environment where many people share similar ideas = SAFE.

Personally, I stuck around on OKP because I got a wide variety of viewpoints here, and I felt 'safe' expressing a dissenting point of view. I don't feel 'safe' expressing on other social media because of the groupthink mentality there.

>I guess my larger question is whether these boards, holistically
>and ethnographically, are 'safe' for feminists and queer
>people of color. Whether the totality of the culture on these
>boards is consistently aligned with these views. Anti-feminist
>posts are one thing, but I guess I am curious as to what
>structural realities pushed some of those radical feminists to
>move to Twitter, to use your example.

I think there were too many dissenting opinions here, with no way to mute, unfollow or ignore them like on other platforms.

In short, newer social media allows people to join echo chambers. If twitter is the extreme left, this site is in the middle, which doesn't appeal to a lot of people nowadays.

https://phys.org/news/2018-04-billion-tweets-echo-chambers-twitter.html

An important thing to remember about online spaces is that they are, at the core, SOCIAL constructs. You *must* look at the social implications in order to get a complete picture.

Selah
16484 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 11:13 AM

4. "pretty much anything goes on GD"
In response to Reply # 0

the tone and content of the response you will get is determined by a variety of factors

so in that regard the "open to" question would have to recieve an affirmative

another thing to note is you say "these boards" which broadens the scope to all the other areas which are supposed o be narrower in scope. due to their nature I do't know if they are as "open" as this one - so taken as a collective the real answer would be "kinda"

all that said, i think the results of your research would be interesting to see - just to see the conclusions you reach

good luck

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 11:16 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "The women just lurk now, so there's no actual discussion."
In response to Reply # 0

As far as being open to discussion, definitely. We used to talk about that stuff all the time in the old days. But it's rare to see robust conversation about those issues when there aren't any women participating.

Selah
16484 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 11:19 AM

6. "or when it devolves into namecalling rather than discussion"
In response to Reply # 5

which is what the result usually is currently

islanderre
6 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 11:26 AM

9. "RE: or when it devolves into namecalling rather than discussion"
In response to Reply # 6

>which is what the result usually is currently

Seems like that is a shift that took place relatively recently, as a part of a gradual decline in participation? Any idea when you might have first noticed a lack of female perspective?

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 11:30 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "About 2014 - 2015-ish. "
In response to Reply # 9
Wed Mar-13-19 11:32 AM by Teknontheou

Or whatever year Twitter went completely mainstream (Twitter killed alot of message boards). Mid 2010's.

Selah
16484 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 11:35 AM

12. "nah"
In response to Reply # 9

>Seems like that is a shift that took place relatively
>recently, as a part of a gradual decline in participation?

been that way forever (like internet forever, not just here forever. BUT here forever too)

some folks just got tired of it and bounced

>Any idea when you might have first noticed a lack of female
>perspective?

I was here in the beginning, then left for a while (sidebar: I really miss Angieee)

when I came back many folks had left

some went to loosie as a "cool kids enclave"
some went to facebook and twitter
some just decided to lurk (and pop out randomly)
some had less "disposable time" and grew up into careers, marriages, and kids and whatnot

I'd say the BIGGEST shift happened when "Voodoo" dropped, it went from truly being "fam" to something else due to the influx of new people, perspectives, and opinions

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 11:39 AM

16. "Voodoo dropped 11 months after this site started"
In response to Reply # 12

Selah
16484 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 11:44 AM

19. "sure did"
In response to Reply # 16

(dunno if you are counting the "soft launch" or the TFA opening, btu they are close enough)

point is: there was a definitive shift then in terms of "feeling" here (the tone of things, the expansion of things)

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 11:51 AM

22. "If a shift happens almost from the word go, then it's not really a shift..."
In response to Reply # 19

That's just the way things always were. You kind of said that, so maybe we're on the same page, but I'm not sure.

I think the "bad days" on gender discussion on here were way after 2000. Like maybe 2008 - 2012, or so.

That family atmosphere was still very much alive through the mid 2000s, especially at the various local levels (NYC/Philly/DC/ATL, etc.)

And then the women bounced to Twitter or started lurking exclusively about 5 years ago.

Selah
16484 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 11:59 AM

23. "what we are typing isn't particularly different"
In response to Reply # 22

>I think the "bad days" on gender discussion on here were way
>after 2000. Like maybe 2008 - 2012, or so.

i dunno. during the days of "gender warz" at least there was discussion

yeah, it could get pointed

it was at its worst when folks started getting doxxed (posting peoples nekkign pix and whatnot) when their opinion was disagreed with

>That family atmosphere was still very much alive through the
>mid 2000s, especially at the various local levels
>(NYC/Philly/DC/ATL, etc.)

primarily at the local levels i'd say, during the period i mentioned it was still small enough for everyone to kinda just be one group

(i traveled from cali to upstate NY on a business trip and specifically drove down to hang at Black Lily)

>And then the women bounced to Twitter or started lurking
>exclusively about 5 years ago.

this is the gone and back when I was like "where did everyone go? who are THESE folks?"

flipnile
13561 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 11:43 AM

17. "It doesn't devolve, there are posters that blatantly derail"
In response to Reply # 6

Conversations about certain topics don't happen here anymore. Even bringing said topic up is cause for the name-calling.

Selah
16484 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 11:47 AM

20. "there was a time when that would get ignored"
In response to Reply # 17
Wed Mar-13-19 11:47 AM by Selah

now folks choose to engage the trolling (remember when it was called flaming?)

any attempt at fruitful dialog gets swamped in back-and-forths and like clockwork post become "not worth bothering with"

perhaps devolve *is* the wrong word because many times the poasting starts with the first response

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 11:37 AM

14. "^has the best words"
In response to Reply # 5

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 11:37 AM

13. "can you define 'racialized'"
In response to Reply # 0

at least as far as how it relates to your project.

I think this is a place where everyone is allowed to speak their piece. Yes, there has been some very strong 'racial' content, possibly even hate speech, there has also been intelligent debate among people who disagree STRONGLY, there have been 'teachable moments'

some people get to speak that probly SHOULDNT, IMO...but that's not what we do here. We'll clown the shit out you and drag yo azz...but you can speak tho.

I think MORE feminist perspectives should be here...but maybe they dont feel like castin' they pearls before swine.

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 11:44 AM

18. "As an evolution yes but we aren't there yet"
In response to Reply # 0

Leaps and bounds of progress and I think there have been significant shifts in opinion but this isn't the seeding ground for any radical feminist thought. More like a place where that thought can be tested against those who might otherwise not be exposed.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

soulpsychodelicyde
Member since Nov 18th 2003
12147 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 11:50 AM

21. "I agree with this."
In response to Reply # 18

I also struggle with the idea that more 'radical' feminists left here for different pastures... I don't ever recall a time when there were ever any so-called 'radical' feminists here.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 01:39 PM

31. "This is a pretty good summation"
In response to Reply # 18

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49379 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 12:09 PM

25. "I would say the only safe spaces for women online are women"
In response to Reply # 0

majority spaces.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

flipnile
13561 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 12:15 PM

26. "Can you define what you mean by "safe space?""
In response to Reply # 25
Wed Mar-13-19 12:16 PM by flipnile

Because overall, I don't agree with this.

How is a woman (like the OP) not "safe" here on OKP?

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49379 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 12:55 PM

28. "OP used the term. I figure it means a space women won't get harassed"
In response to Reply # 26

what harassment though is up for question.

For example, I just learned about the expression "reply guy"

https://mashable.com/article/twitter-reply-guys/#TqcDZEuJdZqG

I read about it and I guess I got the picture but I also thought it is kind of the nature of the internet that random people will reply to things you post. However, I take it from the piece this isn't something women have to deal with in women only spaces. IDK.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

flipnile
13561 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 01:44 PM

34. "The purpose of social media is the share and connect..."
In response to Reply # 28
Wed Mar-13-19 01:46 PM by flipnile

To say that someone is wrong for using the technology the way is was not only intended to be used, but is currently set up to be used is pretty-much just a social manipulation technique.

The "reply guy" scenario is the same as being at a party, and when a certain guy chimes into the conversation he's met with negativity (in the case of the party, because he's not one of the 'cool' members of that crowd).

It's absurd to label someone's benign actions as malicious, and is one of the main tools of abusive and manipulative people. Classic back-you-into-a-corner-socially behaviour.

>For example, I just learned about the expression "reply guy"
>
>https://mashable.com/article/twitter-reply-guys/#TqcDZEuJdZqG
>
>I read about it and I guess I got the picture but I also
>thought it is kind of the nature of the internet that random
>people will reply to things you post. However, I take it from
>the piece this isn't something women have to deal with in
>women only spaces. IDK.
>
>
>**********
>"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then
>they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson
>
>"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85051 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 01:38 PM

30. "absolutely. "
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22255 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 01:40 PM

32. "Why here?"
In response to Reply # 0

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

MEAT
22255 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 01:42 PM

33. "Wait, y’all are actually responding?"
In response to Reply # 0

TF is wrong with y’all.

------

flipnile
13561 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 03:05 PM

36. "Can we put the discussion back in general discussion?"
In response to Reply # 33

The dismissive, reality-show level of discussion we have now has ran its' course.

MEAT
22255 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 04:59 PM

39. "Hi, I’m a random alias in the age of Tucker Carlson, Jacob Wohl"
In response to Reply # 36
Wed Mar-13-19 05:01 PM by MEAT

Et al, in a world of right wing digital manipulation, distortion, and global propaganda used as a means to destabilize the very idea of democratic liberalism.
I’ve been monitoring you “supposedly black people” for a week and before I present my analysis to a third party I want to get your direct takes with links on the topics that I mention.
Please contribute.

------

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49379 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 06:44 PM

42. "But that threat is always here"
In response to Reply # 39

This is a public forum. Anyone can join and anyone can come and look to see what we say.

That is, you don't need to do an elaborate ruse to take peoples words out of context and share them with others. And even if that were the goal and you bothered to disguise your ultimate intent why even bother disclose that your plan involves analyzing what we say and sharing it with others?

Mori
Charter member
3528 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 03:01 PM

35. "These males are only open when it doesn't call them out"
In response to Reply # 0

These men backtrack on issues when it is apparent that they are taking the lazy perspective, which is let black women handle it.

Anytime someone calls on black men to take more action, the generic okplayer response is, "What are we supposed to do? We aren't beating/raping/abusing women"

The perspective is usually that feminist issues do not require male behavior change.

Rise & Shine
Thrive & Grind
Heart & Mind

flipnile
13561 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 03:12 PM

37. "Nah."
In response to Reply # 35
Wed Mar-13-19 03:13 PM by flipnile

>These males are only open when it doesn't call them out
>These men backtrack on issues when it is apparent that they
>are taking the lazy perspective, which is let black women
>handle it.
>
>Anytime someone calls on black men to take more action, the
>generic okplayer response is, "What are we supposed to do? We
>aren't beating/raping/abusing women"
>
>The perspective is usually that feminist issues do not require
>male behavior change.

What you're not asking for is the men here to be better, because when we tell you that we already are you switch to "what about the other men?"

It's pretty dishonest, and also an absurd request: To demand that men put themselves at risk policing the not-illegal behaviour of other men.

It's all there, quoted in your words above, btw.

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 04:35 PM

38. "huh? "

who are 'these men'?

got any more sweeping generalizations you wanna throw out?

kfine
Member since Jan 11th 2009
2218 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 08:59 PM

45. "the hostile defensiveness to your post though, lol..."
Wed Mar-13-19 09:06 PM by kfine

-

afrogirl_lost
Member since May 22nd 2012
3062 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 05:23 PM

40. "Nope"
In response to Reply # 0

I started posting here in the early 2000s. There were a bunch of awesome feminist and LGBTQ voices, but they’ve left. I lurk and post here from time to time, and it’s really sad to see a lot of unchecked misogyny and homophobia. A lot of the voices here are straight cis- gendered men, and I’m generally unimpressed with what they have to say.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49379 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 05:51 PM

41. "Why bother to even lurk then?"
In response to Reply # 40

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35861 posts
Thu Apr-11-19 04:20 PM

58. "this that "if you don't like the country then leave" MAGA response lol"
In response to Reply # 41

yall so fucking transparent and fragile its ridiculous

instead of listening, y'all butthurt. over and over and over

kfine
Member since Jan 11th 2009
2218 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 08:54 PM

44. "*stands in this line* Yup. I would say okp is a racialized space but"
In response to Reply # 40

definitely not a feminist space, currently. And LGBTQ friendliness is hard to determine since so many LGBTQ voices left or just lurk now. Perhaps that is an answer in itself.

I think a lot of (male) posters might think okp is a feminist space in the sense that one could easily post a feminist topic or viewpoint and incite discussion. But that's simply messageboard mechanics. I think (the few of us) female posters (left) are thinking a bit more about the "quality" of said discussions.. i.e. whether they are inclusive, substantive, respectful, etc. And by that metric, I'd say it's not at all uncommon to encounter negativity in response to feminist/feminist-leaning views and critiques. That Monique post a while ago comes to mind. Or any post exploring male privilege among blacks.

I mostly only respond about topics I'm nerdy about. Though, occasionally, I'll feel compelled to respond/amplify in a more raucous post if another female poster is in there alone. Even if it's just a cosign or whatever.

>There were a bunch
>of awesome feminist and LGBTQ voices, but they’ve left. I
>lurk and post here from time to time, and it’s really sad to
>see a lot of unchecked misogyny and homophobia. A lot of the
>voices here are straight cis- gendered men

afrogirl_lost
Member since May 22nd 2012
3062 posts
Thu Mar-14-19 03:26 PM

48. "I agree with everything you wrote"
In response to Reply # 44
Thu Mar-14-19 03:29 PM by afrogirl_lost

The R Kelly post with all of the black male whataboutism was horrid and such a nasty display of privilege. I don’t think half of the men here even have a clear understanding of feminism anyway so it’s kinda pointless. I feel like the men here are the ones I avoid talking to in my real life. Any yeah, I only usually converse with other women on here. I get more quality discussions from twitter and my black feminist book club.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49379 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 07:00 PM

43. "Speaking of Feminism, anyone see this SNL skit?"
In response to Reply # 0

https://youtu.be/9HMX-EkYUA0

godleeluv
Member since Jun 11th 2013
5861 posts
Thu Apr-11-19 06:41 AM

53. "I had not seen it. That was funny"
In response to Reply # 43

And sad

But accurate.
... "A Beautiful Struggle"
https://m.facebook.com/jamelabullock
Www.reverbnation.com/jamela

MELa
Musically.Entertaining.Lyrically.Alluring.

naame
Charter member
21016 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 09:16 PM

46. "No "
In response to Reply # 0

Sometimes my opinions are just antigay and transgender and I don't read works about and by gays or trans people. So I don't get the benefit of having insight into their thoughts, relationships, and opinions. Okp used to be a place that i got to read and understand these things but not as much anymore. Regarding discussions on okp the issue was really that misogynist trolls have a sense of superiority that they will argue down women and gay men to the point that it just becomes the same argument over and over again.

America has imported more warlord theocracy from Afghanistan than it has exported democracy.

rawsouthpaw
Charter member
15496 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 09:46 PM

47. "i think it could be if it was reflected in the artistry of music acts"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Mar-13-19 09:46 PM by rawsouthpaw

that historically and currently drive the site and community. if okp picked up, promoted or worked with, i don't know, the internet? frank ocean? maybe we'd see this kind of shift with their audience that would presumably come (if those kind of promotion dynamic / forces driving traffic even apply anymore).

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49379 posts
Sat Mar-16-19 09:17 AM

49. "Here is something I learned from OKP"
In response to Reply # 0

I saw this horrific video of dudes harrassing and assaulting women at Freanik (jeez thank good they banned it).

https://twitter.com/all_in_yo_girl/status/1106415829078458369

I looked at the comments and was disappointed to see that so many of the dudes first reaction was to be critical of the women in the video ("why didn't they run them over?", "Why did they have their windows down?", etc.)

I don't know if that would have stuck out to me as being terrible without the conversations I had here about these topics.

Reuben
Member since Mar 13th 2006
1857 posts
Sat Mar-16-19 11:05 AM

50. "dialectical materialism and actual historical accuracy"
In response to Reply # 0

is the real cat amongst the pigeons on here

http://hardboiledbabesanddarkchocolate.tumblr.co

rorschach
Member since Nov 10th 2004
7723 posts
Mon Mar-18-19 12:46 AM

51. "No. These boards pushed all of those voices out of over time."
In response to Reply # 0

GD for sure dipped because of it.

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

naame
Charter member
21016 posts
Wed Apr-10-19 10:05 AM

52. "RE: Do you feel that these boards are open to the perspectives of femini..."
In response to Reply # 0

America has imported more warlord theocracy from Afghanistan than it has exported democracy.

MME
Charter member
11940 posts
Thu Apr-11-19 08:56 AM

54. "Hell no."
In response to Reply # 0

This board in particular has one of the most sexist misogynistic online atmospheres I've ever witnessed.

FUCK DONALD TRUMP

mind_grapes
Member since Nov 13th 2007
957 posts
Thu Apr-11-19 01:57 PM

55. "The replies to that toxic masculinity thread were disheartening"
In response to Reply # 54

although the premise was designed to trigger some of that

Damali
35861 posts
Thu Apr-11-19 04:22 PM

59. "this."
In response to Reply # 54

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Thu Apr-11-19 02:04 PM

56. "feminist (of color) and racialized space"
In response to Reply # 0

this language seems like the type that will perpetuate racial i.e. emotional thinking

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

eclipsedInI
Member since Jul 29th 2002
92867 posts
Thu Apr-11-19 02:39 PM

57. ""racialized""
In response to Reply # 0

2019 join date

you the feds

Damali
35861 posts
Thu Apr-11-19 04:23 PM

61. "lol i didn't even notice that"
In response to Reply # 57

Damali
35861 posts
Thu Apr-11-19 04:22 PM

60. "hell no."
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby General Discussion topic #13319339 Previous topic | Next topic