Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13317980

Subject: "Team ROC: Jabari Talbot and the POA..." Previous topic | Next topic
Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Wed Mar-06-19 04:58 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Team ROC: Jabari Talbot and the POA..."
Wed Mar-06-19 04:59 PM by Creole

What these cats are doing is beyond setting the bar...

https://twitter.com/teamroc/status/1101619703062106112

https://www.complex.com/music/2019/03/jay-z-roc-nation-roc-help-get-pledge-of-allegiance-case-dismissed

Student's Pledge of Allegiance Case Dismissed With Help From Roc Nation

BY JOSHUA ESPINOZA

MAR 05, 2019

Team ROC has helped secure another legal victory.

The philanthropic division of JAY-Z's Roc Nation rallied in support of 11-year-old Jabari Talbot, a 6th grade boy who was arrested last month after refusing to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance. The incident took place at Feb. 4 at Lawton Chiles Middle Academy in Lakeland, Florida, where the student got into a heated exchange with a substitute teacher. According to Bay News 9, Jabari explained he would not participate in the pledge because "the flag was racist and the national anthem was offensive to black people."

The teacher, Ana Alvarez, then asked the student why he didn't simply leave the country if he hated it so much; Jabari reportedly responded: "They brought me here."

"Well you can always go back because I came here from Cuba," she fired back, "and the day I feel I'm not welcome here any more I would find another place to live."

Alvarez said she then contacted the school's main office because she "did not want to continue dealing with him."

Jabari was arrested shortly after by a school resource officer, who claimed the student was being disruptive and refused to obey commands. An arrest affidavit states Jabari also threatened the substitute teacher with physical violence and told the principal and arresting officer he would get them fired.

The child's arrest eventually caught the attention of Team ROC, a Roc Nation division dedicated to assisting victims of racial injustice. The team has been involved in a number of high-profile cases, including the "hoodie arrests" in Tennessee, as well as 21 Savage's legal battle against Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Team ROC tapped famed attorney Alex Spiro to handle Jabari's case pro bono.

"Jabari is a courageous and intelligent young man who deserves all the credit for standing up for his beliefs," Spiro said in a statement. "He should've never been arrested or entangled in this situation—his freedom of speech rights were clearly protected under the 1st Amendment."

A number of Roc Nation athletes have also expressed their support for Jabari and his family. Miami Heat's Justise Winslow called the ordeal an "injustice," while Jacksonville Jaguars' Leonard Fournette praised the child for his strength.

"When I heard about Jabari's arrest, I immediately had my team reach out so I could offer my support for this unjust moment." Fournette said. "Jabari is a bright young student and I applaud him for the strength he has shown during this difficult situation. I know he's a huge football fan and I’m looking forward to having him come to a Jaguars game this season."

The wave of support clearly had an impact, as Jabari's case has since been dismissed. The 6th grader's mother, Dhakira Talbot, thanked the Roc Nation family for all their efforts and commitment to justice.

"My son and I are grateful for all the athletes, entertainers, Roc Nation and community of supporters that have raised awareness about this injustice and showed their support—both publicly and privately " she said. "Although Jabari’s case has been dismissed, I do want people to know this isn’t just about my son—this prejudice happens to African-American kids all across the country. The fight isn’t over, which is why I have a civil rights complaint pending with the U.S. Department of Education. At the end of the day, I want to ensure that no child ever has to experience this injustice again and we will appreciate everyone’s continued support."

--- praying for peace, love, and power

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Does Ana Alvarez still teach at this school?
Mar 06th 2019
I think she was a substitute teacher and they said she can't come back
Mar 07th 2019
nas lost
Mar 06th 2019

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28844 posts
Wed Mar-06-19 05:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Does Ana Alvarez still teach at this school?"
In response to Reply # 0

Black Twitter needs to get busy. This is another reason why I refuse to chase ambulances for different communities. How dare Ana Alvarez make such heinous statements against this young man.

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Thu Mar-07-19 03:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "I think she was a substitute teacher and they said she can't come back"
In response to Reply # 1

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41497 posts
Wed Mar-06-19 07:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "nas lost"
In response to Reply # 0

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

Lobby General Discussion topic #13317980 Previous topic | Next topic