Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13312569

Subject: "Blackface: How many more prestigious flagship universities gon fess up?" Previous topic | Next topic
Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 10:22 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Blackface: How many more prestigious flagship universities gon fess up?"
Fri Feb-08-19 10:23 AM by Creole

The stuff going on in VA got folks shook. Now, they're gonna be fessing up left and right. Is it to procve they care about righting wrongs or will it be to improve perceptions? Maryland is the South. Ain't no escaping it at all.

𝐜𝐚𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐞 - https://twitter.com/Camilleeeon_/status/1093524338316324867?html

@Camilleeeon_
went on a mission at work to find blackface in old UMD yearbooks and it only took me 5 mins lol

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/education/higher-ed/bs-md-umd-blackface-yearbook-20190208-story.html

Blackface photos found in old University of Maryland yearbooks

Sarah Meehan
Contact Reporter
The Baltimore Sun

A number of photos featuring people wearing blackface have surfaced in old University of Maryland, College Park yearbooks.

A Twitter user discovered the images in University of Maryland yearbook archives days after a photo of two unidentified people — one in blackface and the other in a Ku Klux Klan robe — was unearthed on Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam's 1984 medical school yearbook page. Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring has also admitted he once wore blackface.

University of Maryland President Wallace Loh responded to the tweet, calling the images “profoundly hurtful and distressing.”

“The images of blackface found in past UMD yearbooks are profoundly hurtful and distressing,” he replied on Twitter. “Traditions like this reflect a history of racial prejudice and do not convey what we seek to embody today.”

The university’s Office of Diversity and Inclusion echoed Loh’s sentiment and also provided information about the history of blackface on its Twitter feed.

“The images of Blackface discovered in past UMD yearbooks can be shocking for some and traumatizing for others,” the office tweeted. “Traditions like this reflect a history of racial prejudice and do not convey what we seek to embody.”

Office of Inclusion & Diversity responds with - https://twitter.com/DiverseTerps/status/1093631008266702848

smeehan@baltsun.com

twitter.com/sarahvmeehan

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication

--- praying for peace, love, and power

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Sidenote: I used to argue with people on here about DC/MD being
Feb 08th 2019
Man, outside of Balt. City, Balt. County, MoCo, HowardCo,and PG, RED...
Feb 08th 2019
My parents moved to Upper Marlboro in 1998. I worked at a local
Feb 08th 2019
      lmao, I was in Upper Marlboro last year.
Feb 08th 2019
the wack part of the MD flag is a reference to the Confederacy
Feb 08th 2019
I lived on that college park campus
Feb 08th 2019
NYT: Beyond College Campuses and Public Scandals, a Racist Tradition Lin...
Feb 08th 2019
conservatives swear colleges are liberal brainwashing schools.
Feb 08th 2019
Almost like they're full of shit or something
Feb 08th 2019
      liberals brainwashing people into think blackface aint cool anymore
Feb 08th 2019
This seems like being shocked to see slave ads in 1700s newspapers
Feb 08th 2019
Man it's like people forgot the 80's. Remember Ted Danson?
Feb 08th 2019
My issue is documenting it in yearbooks.
Feb 08th 2019
Yup! I don't care that Johnny Rebel Whiteboy did it. I care that it was,...
Feb 08th 2019
      Yeah,fair. It wasn't even the 'halloween costume' blackface for Northam
Feb 08th 2019
Ignorant and clueless ? What ?
Feb 08th 2019
      Touched on it above, but yeah.
Feb 08th 2019
           Yep it shouldn't have.
Feb 08th 2019
                you just linked me to a bunch of 'halloween costume' stuff
Feb 08th 2019
                     It's the same thing
Feb 08th 2019
                          I see some difference in Herring dressing up as Kurtis Blow
Feb 08th 2019
Does no one remember Soul Man?
Feb 08th 2019
i mean that's just college in America.
Feb 08th 2019
Bruh not once did I see anyone black in college dress up as white people
Feb 08th 2019
      Right? I ain’t never seen that shit
Feb 08th 2019
Not the same thing, but the concept of the
Feb 08th 2019
bruh the whole country was built on slavery
Feb 10th 2019
My PWI had Gangsta Night
Feb 11th 2019
Smh
Feb 11th 2019
at my old job we had an event where teams picked themes/costumes
Feb 11th 2019

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 10:25 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Sidenote: I used to argue with people on here about DC/MD being"
In response to Reply # 0

in the South, which they definitely are. They're the top of the South (on the East Coast), and the large numbers of non-Southern transplants can make things seem not-Southern on the surface, but it's absolutely the South, just below the surface.

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 10:30 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Man, outside of Balt. City, Balt. County, MoCo, HowardCo,and PG, RED..."
In response to Reply # 1

is the color of the day.

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 10:59 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "My parents moved to Upper Marlboro in 1998. I worked at a local "
In response to Reply # 2

supermarket in the summer of '99. The YT's that worked there were all locals whose families had been in Upper Marlboro forever. In 1999, they all came off to me like they were straight out of Dukes of Hazzard. They were nice and pleasant people and all that, but they were outright southern and seemed sort of stuck in the late 70s - mid 80s, just in terms of their look (hairstyles, style of dress, etc.)

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 01:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "lmao, I was in Upper Marlboro last year."
In response to Reply # 5

basically all parts of it due to driving in a motorcade on 301. man, that was like a microcosm of Maryland if I've ever saw it. I was so far down there that I saw a Weis supermarket.

you can tell that it's an old "ocean" state real quick

Yes, I'm mad. Let's move on.

Jays | Cavs | Eagles | Sabres | Tarheels

PSN: Dr_Claw_77 | XBL: Dr Claw 077 | FB: drclaw077 | T: @drclaw77 | http://thepeoplesvault.wordpress.com

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 01:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "the wack part of the MD flag is a reference to the Confederacy"
In response to Reply # 1

(I mean the red/white part. The part that makes it cool represents the good guys.)

shygurl
Member since Oct 08th 2002
13361 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 10:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I lived on that college park campus"
In response to Reply # 0

It would not surprise me if they found those pictures in *this* years yearbook.

I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.

— F. Scott Fitzgerald

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 10:34 AM

4. "NYT: Beyond College Campuses and Public Scandals, a Racist Tradition Lin..."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Feb-08-19 10:34 AM by Creole

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/08/us/northam-blackface-virginia.html

Beyond College Campuses and Public Scandals, a Racist Tradition Lingers

By Richard Fausset and Campbell Robertson
Feb. 8, 2019

ATLANTA — Nina Yeboah was a freshman at Georgia State University in 2004 when she heard about the pair of white fraternity brothers who had shown up at a “Straight Outta Compton” party in blackface.

Fifteen years later, she said, it still feels traumatic to talk about what would become a moment of embarrassment and pain on the Atlanta campus. As a student of color, said Ms. Yeboah, now a writer, “it kind of wakes you up to what racism is like in the community that you’re in.”

It has been a week of waking up.

What first appeared as a grotesque act of racist clowning on the part of Gov. Ralph Northam of Virginia turned out not to be an aberration at his medical school in the early 1980s. A confession from Mark Herring, the state’s attorney general, revealed that blackface was common at other Virginia schools at the time as well.

The news of other blackface episodes — an ever-growing tally including yet more Virginia politicians as well as Florida officeholders — led a rush to old yearbooks by reporters and others across social media.

This last week has reinforced that blackface, with its roots in demeaning minstrel-show traditions that date to the 1830s, has never gone away. In fact, it surfaces on a regular basis across the country, beyond the South and beyond the Greek houses on college campuses. Over the past two decades, there have been at least a handful of incidents every year, in Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Texas, Pennsylvania, Minnesota and Alabama, involving judges, police officers, bank executives and credit union employees.

Just last year, a fraternity at California Polytechnic State University in San Luis Obispo was suspended after students dressed up as gang members, with one person in blackface. A candidate for the Illinois Senate apologized for dressing as a rapper in blackface at a Halloween party a decade earlier. And a student at the University of Arkansas posted on Snapchat an image of himself in blackface and the words “I hope this offends someone.”

READ MORE AT THE LINK

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79545 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 01:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "conservatives swear colleges are liberal brainwashing schools. "
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 03:36 PM

16. "Almost like they're full of shit or something"
In response to Reply # 6

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5613 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 03:50 PM

17. "liberals brainwashing people into think blackface aint cool anymore"
In response to Reply # 16

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 01:29 PM

9. "This seems like being shocked to see slave ads in 1700s newspapers"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Feb-08-19 01:31 PM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

Of course you're going to find black face in a 1960s-70s yearbook. It was common to even see it on TV during that time.

I hold elected officials and certain others to higher standards, so I will take their pasts into consideration when making judgments about them. It was wrong to do it, and I'd hope that their good judgment would steer them away from it.

But I'm not going to be outraged that some frat at UNC or UMD took blackface photos. That's what they do.

GOMEZ
5613 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 01:34 PM

10. "Man it's like people forgot the 80's. Remember Ted Danson?"
In response to Reply # 9

He did a routine in black face at a roast and had Whoopi cosigning that shit. (I just fact checked myself and that was in the 90's). I'm not saying it was right, but as a society a huge chunk of people were hella ignorant and clueless. It def wasn't the same thing as it was in today's 'woke' society.

-Hunter S. Thompson

legsdiamond
79545 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 02:44 PM

11. "My issue is documenting it in yearbooks. "
In response to Reply # 10

The fuck?

and I remember Ted doing it and Whoopi prolly applies the make up.

Shit was a bad look and he caught hear for it.

I want these colleges to feel enough guilt to throw more scholarship money in our direction.

Just because it wasn’t shocking in 1970 doesn’t mean that shit was right.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 03:24 PM

14. "Yup! I don't care that Johnny Rebel Whiteboy did it. I care that it was,..."
In response to Reply # 11

>RE: My issue is documenting it in yearbooks.
>I want these colleges to feel enough guilt to throw more
>scholarship money in our direction.
>
>Just because it wasn’t shocking in 1970 doesn’t mean that
>shit was right.

or less, sanctioned by these universities. I care that these institutions are further called out for allowing the shit to take place especially in such a liberal state as MD. LOL

And I'm hopeful that we keep seeing enrollment increases at HBCUs as a result. Honestly, I don't believe that Johnny Rebel Whiteboy, Jr. is much different from his dad. They ain't gonna change but we can make sure theses institutions look at their overlooking of shit that impacts the lives of people who don't necessarily look like them.

It also wouldn't hurt them to throw more scholarship money our way.

GOMEZ
5613 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 03:29 PM

15. "Yeah,fair. It wasn't even the 'halloween costume' blackface for Northam"
In response to Reply # 14

it was Al Jolson and the KKK. And somehow that was allowed to be published in a school yearbook.

-Hunter S. Thompson

Lurkmode
Member since May 07th 2011
5180 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 04:22 PM

19. " Ignorant and clueless ? What ?"
In response to Reply # 10

Some of these yearbooks got Klan and hanging pictures. They knew what they were doing.

---------------------------
Signature

GOMEZ
5613 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 04:33 PM

20. "Touched on it above, but yeah."
In response to Reply # 19

Northam gotta go. the KKK hood/blackface pic is totally cancelable. The fact that University faculty ok'd stuff like that is crazy, even if not entirely shocking.

I was more referencing the fact the that 'halloween costume' version of blackface was hella prevalent, and as a society we were still really behind. As a non-southerner, the lynching/kkk/al jolson style blackface surprised me for some reason (even if it probably shouldn't have).

-Hunter S. Thompson

Lurkmode
5180 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 04:42 PM

21. "Yep it shouldn't have."
In response to Reply # 20

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6679399/Jimmy-Kimmell-Jimmy-Fallon-Billy-Crystal-Judy-Garland-Ted-Danson-Joy-Behar-blackface.html

Signature

GOMEZ
5613 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 04:46 PM

22. "you just linked me to a bunch of 'halloween costume' stuff"
In response to Reply # 21

which i said was hella prevalent.

I was more shocked by the blatant KKK type stuff.

-Hunter S. Thompson

Lurkmode
5180 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 05:07 PM

24. "It's the same thing"
In response to Reply # 22

You don't have to be a southerner and you don't need Klan pics to see that.

Signature

GOMEZ
5613 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 05:33 PM

25. "I see some difference in Herring dressing up as Kurtis Blow "
In response to Reply # 24

vs. Northam dressing up in Blackface/KKK attire. One seems 'ignorant and clueless' while one is intentionally mocking and hurtful. I can see why others might not feel that way, though. Either way both are wrong.

-Hunter S. Thompson

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49388 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 08:04 PM

26. "Does no one remember Soul Man?"
In response to Reply # 9

It felt like Spike Lee was literally the only person complaining about it.

https://www.thewrap.com/rae-dawn-chong-spike-lee-soul-man/

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85054 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 02:53 PM

12. "i mean that's just college in America."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13564 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 03:04 PM

13. "Bruh not once did I see anyone black in college dress up as white people"
In response to Reply # 12

Not once did I see a trailer park-themed party or anything similar.

That stuff is college for one specific demographic.

legsdiamond
79545 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 04:58 PM

23. "Right? I ain’t never seen that shit"
In response to Reply # 13

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 03:58 PM

18. "Not the same thing, but the concept of the"
In response to Reply # 0

white kid donning a headdress and warpaint to be the mascot at certain schools (Illinois, Utah, Florida State) was still going on into the 21st century. I know FSU still does it, not sure if they use an actual Seminole or not (if that makes it any better.) And this is what schools wanted to put out on national TV in the thing that most people will associate with that college.

I'm going to assume there's shit like this everywhere.

Never saw any blackface at my college, just the wonderful flavor of casual open racism that permeates all of SE Wisconsin (and everywhere, but it's REALLY a thing there.) Like the "here are all the awful things I feel comfortable saying around you, a fellow white" conversations happen everywhere (and make no mistake, they do happen to every white person,) but it was really pronounced there. Can only imagine if I hadn't gone to the public school for fuckups and commuters and went to the big wealthy Catholic school just outside a heavily black neighborhood instead. Because Marquette students were another level of angry.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Mafamaticks
Member since Jan 12th 2004
4667 posts
Sun Feb-10-19 05:01 AM

27. "bruh the whole country was built on slavery"
In response to Reply # 0

I mean you can lift up a rock and find racism.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49388 posts
Mon Feb-11-19 09:58 AM

28. "My PWI had Gangsta Night"
In response to Reply # 0

The Frat like social clubs would have a night where they played rap music and served 40s. I can't remember if people wore "hip-hop" gear for the party but there was no blackface. Don't remember any outrage on campus.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

legsdiamond
79545 posts
Mon Feb-11-19 10:05 AM

29. "Smh"
In response to Reply # 28

This sounds ridiculous

GOMEZ
5613 posts
Mon Feb-11-19 12:53 PM

30. "at my old job we had an event where teams picked themes/costumes"
In response to Reply # 28

one group did cholos y cholas. It was kind of fucked up. This was a professional environment, post 2010. I know some of them are unironically super mad about Ralph Northam's blackface.

-Hunter S. Thompson

Lobby General Discussion topic #13312569 Previous topic | Next topic