Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13310005

Subject: "Playery poetry: Morgan Parker" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13927 posts
Mon Jan-28-19 05:17 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Playery poetry: Morgan Parker"

yeah, I barely know anything about poetry, so whoever gets into a major publications with an "attention-getting" title for a book or poem will "cut the mustard." Uh....Morgan Parker featured in Time magazine with a book named "Magical Negro" passes those rather low thresholds for me.

One of her poems (she'll appreciate I posted this since she's playery - yeah, I keep using the term "playery")

It Was Summer Now and the Colored People Came Out Into the Sunshine

Morgan Parker

They descend from the boat two by two. The gap in Angela Davis’s teeth speaks to the gap in James Baldwin’s teeth. The gap in James Baldwin’s teeth speaks to the gap in Malcolm X’s Teeth. The gap in Malcolm X’s teeth speaks to the gap in Malcolm X’s teeth. The gap in Condoleezza Rice’s teeth doesn’t speak. Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard kisses the Band Aid on Nelly’s cheek. Frederick Douglass’s side part kisses Nikki Giovanni’s Thug Life tattoo. The choir is led by Whoopi Goldberg’s eyebrows. The choir is led by Will Smith’s flat top. The choir loses its way. The choir never returns home. The choir sings funeral instead of wedding, sings funeral instead of allegedly, sings funeral instead of help, sings Black instead of grace, sings Black as knucklebone, mercy, junebug, sea air. It is time for war.

http://www.morgan-parker.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbUx60jHBUc

yeah, use this post to battle with more playery poets/poetry, yeah, that'll be good.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
shit's trash..
Jan 29th 2019
seems to me like she's not far from the whole Nikki Giovanni,
Jan 29th 2019
      I cringe at how heavy I used to be in the spoken word scene......
Jan 29th 2019

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44604 posts
Tue Jan-29-19 10:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "shit's trash.."
In response to Reply # 0

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13927 posts
Tue Jan-29-19 10:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "seems to me like she's not far from the whole Nikki Giovanni,"
In response to Reply # 1

Wanda Robinson (Laini Mataka) (her 70's recordings have some NSFW albums covers of her naked)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl_Lvz_XGAQ

Tracy Morris

Kevin Powell (all that spoken word stuff he did on "The Real World" - he did some written poems too)

So.....

I'm sure there's some people who can "discern" her "place" in that continuum.

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44604 posts
Tue Jan-29-19 12:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I cringe at how heavy I used to be in the spoken word scene......"
In response to Reply # 2

Hearing that shit now is like hearing a cat being dragged down a chalkboard with claws extended......

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

Lobby General Discussion topic #13310005 Previous topic | Next topic