Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13307700

Subject: "Music for the Ages" Previous topic | Next topic
mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Thu Jan-17-19 05:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Music for the Ages"

i was listening to de la soul and it made me wonder if 3 feet high and rising hits most for college aged kids regardless of when they were born. thats when i got into them but i dont know if it would apply now.

that got me wondering if there are artists/albums/genres that are mostly liked when people hit a certain age.

to be clear this isnt about what year you were born or what was hot when you were in HS. like maybe most people get into ___ in their mid 30s. or they stop listening to ___ when they get into college.

what do you think?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
3 Feet High ?! Def not.
Jan 18th 2019
do you think this theory would apply to any albums/artists?
Jan 18th 2019
      I'm pretty sure it's generational. There may be a few artists ...
Jan 18th 2019
           what about rock? like beatles and pink floyd?
Jan 18th 2019
                I almost specifically said both those artists.
Jan 18th 2019
                     i really dont know lol
Jan 18th 2019
                          I think it spans all genres personally.
Jan 18th 2019
RE: Music for the Ages
Jan 18th 2019
that makes sense
Jan 18th 2019
      Yea agree with you both re: college for sure.
Jan 18th 2019
I feel like a lot of early Native Tongues stuff is "college music"
Jan 18th 2019

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Fri Jan-18-19 10:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "3 Feet High ?! Def not."
In response to Reply # 0

We love that album but it's definitely of a certain time. I can't imagine college kids today, outside of really intellectually curious types, would be interested in 3 Feet High or even DLSID.

I think the early DLS album that would fit your stated criteria would be Buhloone Mindstate, and maybe Stakes is High. Those are more universal, straightforward hip-hop sounding albums compared to the first 2.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

mista k5
16414 posts
Fri Jan-18-19 10:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "do you think this theory would apply to any albums/artists?"
In response to Reply # 1

or is it more a generational thing. like maybe people from the same generation generally got into certain music once they hit college or whatever? thats still a range of 15/20 years right? from when the first kid in a generation hit college vs the last.

Brew
24419 posts
Fri Jan-18-19 10:28 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "I'm pretty sure it's generational. There may be a few artists ..."
In response to Reply # 2

... who stand the test of time no matter the generation. But mostly I think the window you describe is probably right. Because music evolves so much. Not a lot of us are talking about music from the 20s, know what I mean. And in 2050 I doubt folks will still be celebrating, like, music from the 1960s and 70s like I did/we did when I was in college. Could be wrong but I think they'll more likely be into the best music from like ... now.

mista k5
16414 posts
Fri Jan-18-19 10:41 AM

4. "what about rock? like beatles and pink floyd?"
In response to Reply # 3

you can be around it growing up but you might not fully appreciate it until you hit a certain age.

im thinking with streaming that might just not be true any more if it ever was. kids can discover music as soon as they have access to a phone.

Brew
24419 posts
Fri Jan-18-19 11:04 AM

5. "I almost specifically said both those artists."
In response to Reply # 4

>you can be around it growing up but you might not fully
>appreciate it until you hit a certain age.
>
>im thinking with streaming that might just not be true any
>more if it ever was. kids can discover music as soon as they
>have access to a phone.

I legit had Pink Floyd typed out, and planned to write "...& The Beatles" but deleted it. Cause I think they could kind of go either way. Maybe you have more insight than I do. I don't feel like college kids these days are really listening to those bands as much as people my age did when we were in HS/college. And my HS/college years would've fallen just outside that 15-20 year window of when it would've fit that criteria.

But maybe college kids these days *are* still listening to those types of classic rock bands. In which case I would've argued that they are the rare kinds of artists I mentioned who can kind of withstand the test of time. I also had MJ and Hendrix in mind as well.

mista k5
16414 posts
Fri Jan-18-19 11:07 AM

6. "i really dont know lol"
In response to Reply # 5

im wondering. i guess im going off of my experience and just wondering if it would still stand. i guess we would need some OKPs with college aged kids to weigh in but that might be a skewed point of view too.

what about party music in general is that an age group thing? are people in their 40s getting into party music? wether its current or older.

Brew
24419 posts
Fri Jan-18-19 11:13 AM

7. "I think it spans all genres personally."
In response to Reply # 6

>im wondering. i guess im going off of my experience and just
>wondering if it would still stand. i guess we would need some
>OKPs with college aged kids to weigh in but that might be a
>skewed point of view too.
>
>what about party music in general is that an age group thing?
>are people in their 40s getting into party music? wether its
>current or older.

But, same as you, I'd probably wait for other perspectives from folks who may have some kids approaching these ages, or whatever.

But like - yea there's a few songs that will likely play at weddings for generations to come but I don't necessarily think any one artist's full catalogue will play forever, from the party music genre.

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Fri Jan-18-19 12:29 PM

8. "RE: Music for the Ages"
In response to Reply # 0

I would say college is a good time to start getting into older music that you may have overlooked before or because it wasn't of your preferred genre/culture.

I grew up mainly on 80's pop, hip hop, r&b, dance music, etc, but in late high school and early college, I delved more into stuff like reggae, older funk/soul, classic rock, etc.

mista k5
16414 posts
Fri Jan-18-19 12:35 PM

9. "that makes sense"
In response to Reply # 8

in general college is a time to explore and expand. not to mention you meet people from different areas that put you onto stuff.

i feel (hope) de la will be part of that college pack for kids going forward.

Brew
24419 posts
Fri Jan-18-19 02:33 PM

10. "Yea agree with you both re: college for sure."
In response to Reply # 9

>in general college is a time to explore and expand. not to
>mention you meet people from different areas that put you onto
>stuff.

Definitely.

>i feel (hope) de la will be part of that college pack for kids
>going forward.

^^^ this makes me sad. Because they've already lost such ample opportunity to hit with a new audience due to their bullshit original contract, which is preventing their music from showing up on streaming platforms. It makes me so fucking mad. They've now lost 10ish years of possible exposure due to this. My blood boils just thinking about it.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Jan-18-19 02:37 PM

11. "I feel like a lot of early Native Tongues stuff is "college music""
In response to Reply # 0

Meaning if you never heard it by high school, college is when you would get into it.

Led Zeppelin is someone I think as kind of eternal high school music, in that the best time to listen to it (regardless of year) is when you're 16-19 and has kind of diminishing returns after that.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Lobby General Discussion topic #13307700 Previous topic | Next topic