Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13305650

Subject: "NO REALLY, where the line between Rap and Country?" Previous topic | Next topic
double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Wed Jan-09-19 01:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"NO REALLY, where the line between Rap and Country?"

aka "hip hop for people who are afraid of black people', shoutout to Steve Earl for saying that.

Anway, this video has me looking at the camera. I've known country was crossing over into rap for some years now, but this is petty fucking blatant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT9iox7jH1g

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Where I grew up, the biggest difference between rednecks & Black folks i...
Jan 09th 2019
RE: Where I grew up, the biggest difference between rednecks & Black fol...
Jan 09th 2019
pretty much. well and the vehicles too.
Jan 09th 2019
      Nobody wants to talk to you more about their vehicle
Jan 09th 2019
      with that said.....we all in our 40's now, and i'm certain most of THEM ...
Jan 09th 2019
Florida Georgia Line are definitely frontrunners of this
Jan 09th 2019
its totally interesting the banjo is associated with "white" music
Jan 09th 2019
      Ah interesting
Jan 09th 2019
country stole from the blues. why stop stealing from niggas now?
Jan 09th 2019
this guy's neck movement is sassy af
Jan 09th 2019
On the surface, there's not a line anymore
Jan 09th 2019
there never really was a line.
Jan 09th 2019

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44614 posts
Wed Jan-09-19 02:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Where I grew up, the biggest difference between rednecks & Black folks i..."
In response to Reply # 0

my age group was racist parents & white skin....

Turn the lights out, crank some music & provide weed & alcohol and for the most part everyone had a good time.

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42759 posts
Wed Jan-09-19 02:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "RE: Where I grew up, the biggest difference between rednecks & Black fol..."
In response to Reply # 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnpZRfre7Ns

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Wed Jan-09-19 02:26 PM

8. "pretty much. well and the vehicles too."
In response to Reply # 1

<--- Big Baller World Order

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Jan-09-19 02:31 PM

10. "Nobody wants to talk to you more about their vehicle"
In response to Reply # 8

than a redneck who just lifted his pickup.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44614 posts
Wed Jan-09-19 02:37 PM

11. "with that said.....we all in our 40's now, and i'm certain most of THEM ..."
In response to Reply # 8

for Trump and are on some bullshit lol..

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

Stringer Bell
Member since Mar 15th 2004
3175 posts
Wed Jan-09-19 02:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Florida Georgia Line are definitely frontrunners of this"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jan-09-19 02:09 PM by Stringer Bell

And have become an unlikely pop powerhouse due to their willingness to be promiscuous with their sound (and their team writes great hooks, and former youth pastor-turned downhome hedonism evangelist Tyler Hubbard has a great voice and affect.)

I first became aware of them a few years back when I heard this jam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1oL37ycONQ

There is a certain amount of country authenticity-signalling going on where the funkier a beat is, it must be balanced by proportional amounts of slide guitar/banjo etc. Despite the crassness of it, you have to sort of admire the competency and commitment to the strategy.

Whatever you think about their music (along with that of fellow traveler in these waters Luke Bryan), they do a lot of nodding of the hat to ideas like diversity (see "People are Different", or the so-abundant-they-are-cliche-at-this-point lyrical references to musical touchstones that must always include both country and hiphop classics--so the mixtape has to contain "a little Conway and a little T-Pain", on the jukebox one plays "the Travis Tritt right above the Tupac", etc.). A lot of their fans may be Trumpers but you hear a subtle reproach to those politics in a lot of their music.

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Wed Jan-09-19 02:08 PM

3. "its totally interesting the banjo is associated with "white" music"
In response to Reply # 2

its a damned african instrument

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Stringer Bell
Member since Mar 15th 2004
3175 posts
Wed Jan-09-19 02:14 PM

6. "Ah interesting"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed Jan-09-19 02:15 PM by Stringer Bell

Although I suppose it's not just the banjo's presence that is used for this signalling, but certain musical forms associated with Country (which I'm not sophisticated enough musically to know the origin of, tho it must trace back to blues in some fashion I'd wager).

I've been listening to a bit of early Country music lately and I find myself wondering how that music developed. Blues was obviously an influence, but I'd love to learn more about how exactly the artform developed especially given the racial dynamics at play and the fact that recording was in its infancy.

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Wed Jan-09-19 02:13 PM

5. "country stole from the blues. why stop stealing from niggas now?"
In response to Reply # 0

-30-
You know it's drama, but it sound real good.

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42759 posts
Wed Jan-09-19 02:16 PM

7. "this guy's neck movement is sassy af"
In response to Reply # 0

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Jan-09-19 02:30 PM

9. "On the surface, there's not a line anymore"
In response to Reply # 0

Right down to the same criticisms/defenses of the music everyone was doing with hip hop in the 90's. Bro country is more or less doing to country what Limp Bizkit and those guys did to hard rock in the late 90's. It's grafting the aesthetics of hip hop onto their genre.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Wed Jan-09-19 02:42 PM

12. "there never really was a line."
In response to Reply # 9

-30-
You know it's drama, but it sound real good.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13305650 Previous topic | Next topic