Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13302484

Subject: "Is it me or are there more black folks in their 30's & 40's pledging..." Previous topic | Next topic
ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon Dec-17-18 12:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Is it me or are there more black folks in their 30's & 40's pledging..."

sororities and fraternities via grad chapters and whatnot?

It seems like it didn't happen as much back in the day and grad chapter pledges where somewhat shaded by those that pledged in undergrad because they felt like the grad chapter pledges took the easy route and were "paper" and not real frat.

Now it seems like whatever and not as exclusive and they'll pretty much take whomever is willing to pay the money.

Is that what it is basically a money grab by the grad chapters? What's purpose of pledging at that point? Do people at that age still need new friends?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Membership has its privileges
Dec 17th 2018
Cuz & her Mom did that
Dec 17th 2018
Kappas and Ques were suspended at my school
Dec 17th 2018
Some do it for extended brother/Sisterhood and Civic/Community activity
Dec 17th 2018
As long as cats are doing good work and not using it just to stunt, I do...
Dec 17th 2018
Grad chapter pledging...to get women?
Dec 17th 2018
      RE: Grad chapter pledging...to get women?
Dec 17th 2018
      Oh
Dec 17th 2018
      Any particular reason why this is surprising to you?
Dec 17th 2018
           Anecdotally my experiences aren't this
Dec 17th 2018
                That's not how it works so much.
Dec 17th 2018
                     That makes sense.
Dec 17th 2018
                          RE: That makes sense.
Dec 17th 2018
                               surprisingly it's been a bigger thing after college than in college
Dec 18th 2018
                               RE: That makes sense.
Dec 18th 2018
      My brother told me about a sex party
Dec 17th 2018
           definitely a Sigma bash lol
Dec 18th 2018
      a bunch of em won't fw non-cliq'd up dudes.
Dec 17th 2018
Makes more sense to me. More likely to be about the core mission as
Dec 18th 2018
i work at an hbcu and im surrounded by greeks...some grad...
Dec 18th 2018
I clowned them when I was in college, but respect the decision now.
Dec 18th 2018
My mom just pledged.
Dec 18th 2018
if i'm not steppin on nothing,
Dec 19th 2018
this old head in my wife's side of the family just pledged Que a couple ...
Dec 18th 2018
Was it via a chapter in PA?
Dec 18th 2018
not sure, but highly doubt it
Dec 18th 2018
lol...
Dec 18th 2018
Its for old niggas....
Dec 19th 2018
Show us on the doll where the old playa hurt you.
Dec 19th 2018

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79629 posts
Mon Dec-17-18 12:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Membership has its privileges "
In response to Reply # 0

At least that’s what a friend told me. I think it’s mostly for business connects.

I have a female friend and I think she went over in her 30’s. Now all her photos on FB are sorority events posing with her sisters. She seems happy so I can’t knock it.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Boogiedwn
Member since Sep 25th 2003
8677 posts
Mon Dec-17-18 01:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Cuz & her Mom did that"
In response to Reply # 0

Think her Mom did in her 40's (that was at least 15 years ago) and she did a few years ago

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Mon Dec-17-18 01:40 PM

3. "Kappas and Ques were suspended at my school"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Dec-17-18 01:57 PM by Cam

Until it was time for me to leave.
& I wasn't having those young dudes pledge me.
Plus, at a school with 35K students, and less than 1K of them Black, I didn't have a problem meeting people...especially women, opposite from what I saw with the majority of Sigmas on campus--before they crossed, so I knew that frat wasn't for me. The few Alphas there were cool, but they didn't do much.

My best friend pledged a grad chapter some years ago, in his mid-30s, is very active and apparently receives nothing but respect throughout.

Also, he was the youngest member of his line, with multiple men in their 60s. The second youngest Line Brother is a current prominent politician. He explained that the multi-month pledge process wasn't a physical hazing, but far more than simply paying fees and signing papers.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Dec-17-18 01:53 PM

4. "Some do it for extended brother/Sisterhood and Civic/Community activity"
In response to Reply # 0

Each person has their own core reasons. Some do it for notoriety, for personal gain, to be held accountable for community service and involvement, to be part of the mentoring programs, to build a strong social activity network, to engage men an women of like-mindedness on a regular basis, etc. I mean, there are a myriad of reasons, most are good and have benefits.

Current Favorite Song: https://youtu.be/8v_KFHnPImY

"I cannot see how nature could have created itself. Only a supernatural force that is outside of space and time could have done that. ~ Francis Collins

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49429 posts
Mon Dec-17-18 02:12 PM

5. "As long as cats are doing good work and not using it just to stunt, I do..."
In response to Reply # 0

care. There is this one cat from my high school I want to check because he seems to be in it for the broads.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Mon Dec-17-18 02:26 PM

6. "Grad chapter pledging...to get women?"
In response to Reply # 5

Unless he's going back to a campus to try to pull freshmen, I don't see his plan working.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Dec-17-18 02:51 PM

7. "RE: Grad chapter pledging...to get women?"
In response to Reply # 6

>Unless he's going back to a campus to try to pull freshmen, I
>don't see his plan working.

Bro, there are a lot of grown women that love frats. In the ATL this is a real thing. I've met plenty of women that are in sororities that won't fool with a dude that's not in a frat. It's wild.

"I cannot see how nature could have created itself. Only a supernatural force that is outside of space and time could have done that. ~ Francis Collins

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Mon Dec-17-18 02:59 PM

8. "Oh"
In response to Reply # 7

Surprising

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Mon Dec-17-18 03:53 PM

10. "Any particular reason why this is surprising to you?"
In response to Reply # 8

>Surprising

It's just another filter that women can use to find brothers who at least semi have their thing together. Or they can be looking for a certain type of guy, the frats help weed that out.

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Mon Dec-17-18 04:29 PM

12. "Anecdotally my experiences aren't this"
In response to Reply # 10

I have people in my life from every Black greek fraternity and sorority or org, except Iota--I've never met one--but including Grooves and those women aux groups.
Yes, I know dudes who crossed and then suddenly got women they never had, but never have I known any to date exclusively based on the other person's membership...extending beyond their undergrad days/ages.

Seems like a silly juvenile metric, especially since individual members of every one of those groups aren't monolithic.

Good for them though.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49429 posts
Mon Dec-17-18 07:00 PM

13. "That's not how it works so much. "
In response to Reply # 12

It's not that chicks will want to f-ck you because you are greek, it's more like your are in more situations and opportunities to smash because of your fraternity brothers (or sorority sisters).

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Mon Dec-17-18 07:19 PM

14. "That makes sense. "
In response to Reply # 13

Though, as a non affiliate, I've attended a Que Mardi Gras & a Kappa Boatride or two...and have attracted women in attendance.

The confusion in my response is more about the women described in comments like these...
Case - "I've met plenty of women that are in sororities that won't fool with a dude that's not in a frat."
&
BKWhat - "a bunch of em won't fw non-cliq'd up dudes."

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon Dec-17-18 09:01 PM

15. "RE: That makes sense. "
In response to Reply # 14

>Though, as a non affiliate, I've attended a Que Mardi Gras &
>a Kappa Boatride or two...and have attracted women in
>attendance.
>
>The confusion in my response is more about the women described
>in comments like these...
>Case - "I've met plenty of women that are in sororities that
>won't fool with a dude that's not in a frat."
>&
>BKWhat - "a bunch of em won't fw non-cliq'd up dudes."
>

BKWhat is in undergrad so his experience is going to be different, Case is whatever

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85078 posts
Tue Dec-18-18 09:33 AM

18. "surprisingly it's been a bigger thing after college than in college"
In response to Reply # 15

although that could just be because my particular circle.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Dec-18-18 09:43 AM

19. "RE: That makes sense. "
In response to Reply # 15

Case's experience is based on his navigation as a Kappa and his long association with Kappas and Ques in the ATL. I'm telling you, the ATL is different. There are a lot of Divine Nine Greek Letter Chapters here and most women within in a Greek Letter org will not fool with a dude that's not in a Greek Letter Org. It could be due to association and circles of influence, but I've talked to many and they are on that Bus.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79629 posts
Mon Dec-17-18 04:04 PM

11. "My brother told me about a sex party "
In response to Reply # 7

a woman told him about that was run by a bunch of frat dudes..

She said she didn’t go, he didn’t believe her.

Real talk, he said he was mad because he wasn’t invited...lol.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

IsaIsaIsa
Member since May 01st 2008
5862 posts
Tue Dec-18-18 12:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "definitely a Sigma bash lol"
In response to Reply # 11

www.Tupreme.com

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85078 posts
Mon Dec-17-18 03:04 PM

9. "a bunch of em won't fw non-cliq'd up dudes."
In response to Reply # 6

<--- Big Baller World Order

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Tue Dec-18-18 08:26 AM

17. "Makes more sense to me. More likely to be about the core mission as "
In response to Reply # 0

an adult than as a college kid trying to get some ass & notoriety...

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10146 posts
Tue Dec-18-18 10:44 AM

20. "i work at an hbcu and im surrounded by greeks...some grad..."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Dec-18-18 10:45 AM by mikediggz

some undergrad. my teamlead is a que who went over grad and a teamlead of another subgroup is an undergrad que. they roll tight and respect each other equally. there are 2 kappas in other subgroups with the same dynamic...actually 3, 2 grad pledges and 1 undergrad. the 3 of them roll kinda tight. all that to say that around here it seems that grad is respected pretty good. the grad kappas are involved with the undergrad kappas on campus. them and the grad que are always joking about recruiting the rest of us lol. all that to say that both grad and undergrad (at least around here, but this is an hbcu so greeklife is prevalent) respect each other pretty equally.

>sororities and fraternities via grad chapters and whatnot?
>
>It seems like it didn't happen as much back in the day and
>grad chapter pledges where somewhat shaded by those that
>pledged in undergrad because they felt like the grad chapter
>pledges took the easy route and were "paper" and not real
>frat.
>
>Now it seems like whatever and not as exclusive and they'll
>pretty much take whomever is willing to pay the money.
>
>Is that what it is basically a money grab by the grad
>chapters? What's purpose of pledging at that point? Do people
>at that age still need new friends?

bigkarma
Charter member
7859 posts
Tue Dec-18-18 01:20 PM

21. "I clowned them when I was in college, but respect the decision now."
In response to Reply # 0

I'd say for all of my frat brothers from college, maybe 30% or less of them are still active, attending functions, doing community service...etc. My chapter was 30 bros strong on campus, and I can think of maybe 5 or 6 that are still active.

The brothers out there doing the actual work are mostly bros that pledged grad chapter. Their motivations seem a bit more sincere. Even if they did do it for the networking opportunities or the social status, at least they are doing the actual good works of the frat.

More often than not, college bros pledge, enjoy the social status that comes with it, do the service part, but let it go once they leave college. Then it becomes nothing more than some paraphernalia, and the occasional convention.

soulpsychodelicyde
Member since Nov 18th 2003
12155 posts
Tue Dec-18-18 01:59 PM

22. "My mom just pledged."
In response to Reply # 0

Still baffles me. *shrug*

SooperEgo
Charter member
11338 posts
Wed Dec-19-18 10:34 AM

28. "if i'm not steppin on nothing,"
In response to Reply # 22

how old is she?

GROOVEPHI
Charter member
10630 posts
Tue Dec-18-18 02:02 PM

23. "this old head in my wife's side of the family just pledged Que a couple ..."
In response to Reply # 0

he's like 60.
wife sent me a pic of him throwing up the hooks. Man if you dont sit your old ass down somewhere.
i dont even think he has a degree and he's not former military, so I dont know how he pledged grad chapter..

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Tue Dec-18-18 03:07 PM

24. "Was it via a chapter in PA?"
In response to Reply # 23

GROOVEPHI
Charter member
10630 posts
Tue Dec-18-18 03:26 PM

25. "not sure, but highly doubt it"
In response to Reply # 24

dude is in Maryland.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Dec-18-18 11:52 PM

26. "lol..."
In response to Reply # 23

>he's like 60.
>wife sent me a pic of him throwing up the hooks. Man if you
>dont sit your old ass down somewhere.
>i dont even think he has a degree and he's not former
>military, so I dont know how he pledged grad chapter..

TR808
Member since Oct 24th 2012
2012 posts
Wed Dec-19-18 09:43 AM

27. "Its for old niggas...."
In response to Reply # 0

That got rejected or were too lame in college to pledge. Now they get to put Frat license plates on they Chrysler 300. And they get to wear the "A _________ MAN IS REAL MAN T-shirts to formal events.

And they get to make dumb noises and hand signs in crowds.

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Wed Dec-19-18 10:47 AM

29. "Show us on the doll where the old playa hurt you."
In response to Reply # 27

Lobby General Discussion topic #13302484 Previous topic | Next topic