Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13295936

Subject: "Old car exhausts and smells - do you smell them too?" Previous topic | Next topic
handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Tue Nov-06-18 09:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Old car exhausts and smells - do you smell them too?"

Ever watch one of those TV shows where they take an old car, rebuilt it, and get it back on the street?

Here in California those cars are pretty rare to see on the streets - but whenever I I do see one I can smell it at least 2 blocks away.

This is just a smell of gasoline/hydrocarbons (not a failing catalytic converter.)

It's definitely a smell I remember from the 1980s when we had more cars from the 1960s still on the road.

Anyway, is it only me who smells them from blocks away, or is it this noticeable to everyone? (I have a feeling this may be like cigarettes where if you drive an old car like this you may not smell it.)

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm into old motorcycles, and I know what you mean
Nov 06th 2018
yup
Nov 06th 2018

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13573 posts
Tue Nov-06-18 10:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'm into old motorcycles, and I know what you mean"
In response to Reply # 0

Old bikes with carburateurs have a different smell than newer bikes with fuel injection and (now) catalytic converters. And 2-stroke bikes have that old-school distinctive smell (plus the smoke).

For real, I'm a bit more into engine sounds than smells tho. Love the sound of inlines, but that V-twin grumble is probably my favorite, especially in bikes.

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Tue Nov-06-18 11:00 AM

2. "yup "
In response to Reply # 0

I like it, too.

weird huh?

This cat by my daughters school has one of those topless 'Rat Fink' roadsters.

https://www.nostalgiadecals.com/products/rat-fink-t-bucket-decal?variant=14104761958467&utm_campaign=gs-2018-10-04&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign

I used to keep a box chevy, also. I'd go 'warm the car up' in the morning....

yea I know what you mean.

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

Lobby General Discussion topic #13295936 Previous topic | Next topic