Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13294763

Subject: "UMC’s Forces of Nature" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Mon Oct-29-18 09:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"UMC’s Forces of Nature"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7t3hihroUkQ

Threw this on the other day and it still bangs. It’s a shame they tried to go hard in the next album.

What’s crazy is how much they talked about Wu Tang flows.

Blue Cheese
Jive Talk
Never Never Land
Hey Here We Go
Anyway the Wind Blows
It’s Gonna Last

Kool Kim was the first MC I ever met too. Real humble dude.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I think Kool Kim used to post here. Or there were some posts
Oct 29th 2018
He posted a bit when he dropped his NYOil project
Oct 29th 2018
Blue Cheese was one of my favorite songs of LIFE
Oct 29th 2018
RE: UMC’s Forces of Nature
Oct 29th 2018
It’s a dope project.
Oct 29th 2018
Fruits of Nature
Oct 29th 2018
Damn... can the mods fix this please?
Oct 29th 2018
"Now you are the victim of my freaky, freaky, freaky Wu-Tang Flow..."
Oct 29th 2018
I played this shit nonstop for a minute
Oct 29th 2018
(Kool) Kim Sharpton aka NYOil interview referencing WuTang
Oct 29th 2018
You don’t want to make a pitch that’s wild. Gotdamn!!!
Oct 29th 2018
Thanks, this is very informative
Oct 29th 2018
Thanks for this
Oct 30th 2018
They were L.O.N.S without the ADHD energy. Dope.
Oct 29th 2018
dope as hell
Oct 29th 2018
they were one of my favs!
Oct 30th 2018
Jungle Brothers - DONE BY THE Forces of Nature
Oct 30th 2018
^^^^ the architects of that Native Tongue vibe
Oct 30th 2018
Hopefully the mods fix my mistake. Should be Fruits of Nature.
Oct 31st 2018
This tape was stolen by my homie
Oct 30th 2018

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Mon Oct-29-18 09:11 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I think Kool Kim used to post here. Or there were some posts "
In response to Reply # 0

about him on the Lesson, way back. I remember reading some interview on his ideas about color and how color affects perception.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Mon Oct-29-18 09:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "He posted a bit when he dropped his NYOil project"
In response to Reply # 1

And got into a discussion or two. A couple may be archived. Things got contentious.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Dstl1
Charter member
56228 posts
Mon Oct-29-18 09:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Blue Cheese was one of my favorite songs of LIFE"
In response to Reply # 0

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Mon Oct-29-18 09:30 AM

3. "RE: UMC’s Forces of Nature"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Oct-29-18 09:35 AM by infin8

What’s crazy is how much they talked about Wu Tang flows.

^^ Hassan would go on to produce Apollo Kids for Ghostface's Supreme Clientele album

I never listened to this album. Just whatever came on Rap City. I had no idea there was already a 'wu-tang connection' btw them. Much as I usedta read liner notes, I JUST found out he's from Staten Island

#FunFacts

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Mon Oct-29-18 09:55 AM

7. "It’s a dope project."
In response to Reply # 3

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Mon Oct-29-18 09:37 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Fruits of Nature"
In response to Reply # 0

Kool Kim did a post in the Lesson years ago, saying how much they could hint at "gay" stuff ("fruits of nature" and I guess "it makes me feel good you got my back") yet it was just their thing so it was "a-ight"

And he said "fruits" was supposed to be connected to the Fruit of Islam.

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Mon Oct-29-18 09:54 AM

5. "Damn... can the mods fix this please? "
In response to Reply # 4

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Mon Oct-29-18 09:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. ""Now you are the victim of my freaky, freaky, freaky Wu-Tang Flow...""
In response to Reply # 0

The beats on this album were so ill. And Kim and Hassan were both dope on the mic as well.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Mon Oct-29-18 09:58 AM

9. "I played this shit nonstop for a minute"
In response to Reply # 6

The beat to Never Never Land was ill and the song was kinda creepy.

The kids call and responses was so dope.

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Mon Oct-29-18 10:29 AM

10. "(Kool) Kim Sharpton aka NYOil interview referencing WuTang"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Oct-29-18 10:33 AM by Original Juice

http://www.unkut.com/2013/01/kool-kim-of-the-umcs-the-unkut-interview/

Kool Kim and Hass G began as the UMC’s (The Universal MC’s), a duo from Staten Island. Best remembered for the hit single ‘Blue Cheese’ and the under-appreciated Fruits Ov Nature album, the UMC’s poster was also a regular fixture on the lounge room wall on Martin Lawrence’s character on his classic 90’s sit-com, Martin. Their Wild Pitch debut was co-produced by RNS, who would later work on projects for Shyheim and GP-Wu. Hass went on to produce “Apollo Kids” for Ghostface and “Magic Stick” for 50 Cent, while Kool Kim re-invented himself as NYOIL and released the Hood Treason album in 2008.

Robbie: How did you meet Hass G?

Kool Kim: We used to all work at the Statue of Liberty – it was me, U-God, Meth, Deck and Hass – that’s where I met Hass. Me and Meth used to go to public school together, back when he was just Clifford Smith and I was just Kim Sharpton. Me and him used to play trumpet together, and he modeled his trumpeting style behind Clifford Smith, the trumpeter, because our band teacher used to tell him that he reminded him of him – which was pure bullshit. When I heard the real Clifford Smith I was like, ‘Get the fuck outta here!’ Son used to enjoy Clifford The Big Red Dog books. But son was in Stapleton – I wasn’t no hood dude like that, so I wasn’t gonna rock with him in Stapleton. I knew Rakeem (RZA) from back when he used to rock with this dude Forest, who calls himself Ishem now. Rakeem and Forest, they used to have they thing, ‘cos Rakeem ain’t no MC. He wack! He a wack rapper, kid. Capadonna, who used to be Original God at the time, he was ridiculous. Back then, Cappadonna was the Slick Rick of Staten Island.

You were talking about Shaolin and Wu-Tang on those early records too, right?

In New York there’s great love and appreciation for the Asian culture because we grew-up watching kung-fu movies all day! Run Shaw, Master Killer, Golden Arms, Five Deadly Venoms – this is all shit we grew-up watching. So everybody was on it like that, but they was calling theyself, ‘Yo, it’s that Wu-Tang slang’. So we was like, cool, them brothers is comin’, so we’d say stuff like, ‘I flip my style and start to flow Tang Wu’ out of respect, and in our minds they was comin’ soon so we was gonna pave the way for them, and when they got on, they would holler back. Except that wasn’t the case. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely, and that’s pretty much the long and the short of it. It was real unfortunate, ‘cos we thought it was gonna go that way.”

Any good stories about the old days in Staten?

I’ma tell you a funny story about Shyheim and them GP-Wu cats. I used to live on Cedar Street, which is adjacent to Broad Street, which is where most of them cats is from. They walked by, and they knew I was living there so they’d try to tease at us, on some ol’, ‘Wuuuuuu-Tang!’ You know, try to start some shit. They think I would not come out! It’s so funny man, I was watchin’ this interview that G-Dep or one of those dudes was givin’, and he used to box, so he like, ‘Yo, I like when cats try came at me thinkin’ that I’m just some rappin’ dude, and y’all be all loose – ya arms be all loose, ya neck be all loose – riffin’ with me like I’m a herb. You don’t know I box – I’ll knock your ass out!’ That shit is so true, ‘cos as a rapper it’s the same thing. Dude’s be swearin’ I’ma say some ‘Blue Cheese’ shit, man! They be swearin’ that’s what’s gonna come out my mouth! And I’m like, ‘Aight!’ I remember one time I came outside, me, my cousin C-Strangles and his dude Prezzie – who was his rhyming partner at the time – we came outside. I ate a whole chunk outta all three of they asses. They got rocked so bad, that after that mother fuckers was comin’ by just givin’ me love, yo. They got demo’d – all of ‘em! Shyheim is my son, B. He can’t front on me! I remember when he was literally knee-high to me! It’s like, ‘C’mon, stop playin’, pah. You wanna come and battle me? And you ain’t even got no lyrics!’ C’mon, man.

What are your memories of your first single?

‘Invaders of My Fruit Basket’ came out the same time as De La Soul came out, and Red would not play the song, ‘cos he didn’t want us to be comp with them. He held us back. A lotta people don’t know that. That’s real. We weren’t on some Daisy Age shit – we weren’t abstract. We just made some weird titles so people got confused. Like ‘Fruits Ov Nature’ – everybody thought that was some fruity shit, right? But the ‘Ov’ was meant to be spelt ‘Uv’ so that it spelled out F.U.N! We was on some 5 Percenter shit right before then, which is what it correlates to as well. Fruit of Islam will fuck you up!”

What was the story behind the ‘Blue Cheese’ video and that messed-up puppet?

I’ll tell you why the ‘Blue Cheese’ video was one of the worst videos in hip-hop ever – because it was so campy and cheesy, they did it so cheap. The budget that they had for it was not the budget that we thought. I made the concept of the video – however, this was supposed to be this phantasmagorical, visual cornucopia of eye-candy that was supposed to blow the minds of the hip-hop world away! It was supposed to be the equivalent of how a Michael Jackson video is, like, ‘Pow!’ There was cereal back in the day called ‘Oh’s Cereal’ and a puppet would come out of the cereal or something and be like , ‘Oh’s Cereal!’ That was the same puppet! They just put a gold tooth on the mouth! I was sitting there thinking, ‘These wack bastards…’”

You received some flack in the press about the more “hardcore” style on the second album. Do you think that was justified?

Admittedly, the Unleashed album was not as honest as the first album. I say that because I honestly would’ve liked to have done a different album. But at the time it was sincerely the album we could deliver – that was the UMC’s in that situation. Two years after the first album, I’d done lost my house, my grandmother done passed, my mother been at war, my brother moved away. I had a child and another on the way. I never drank or smoked, but now that I’ve been under so much duress because my record label won’t pay me – now I’m drinking and smoking and buggin’ out. Now you’re this totally different dude, and you’re goin’ into the studio after two years of experience. You’ve been around the world, you’ve done slept with groupies, you’ve done been disappointed seeing how much sharks this industry is, motherfuckers disrespected you, got jumped, beat, fought, win, loss.And now you’re in the studio making this album, that had nothing to do with the kid you was when you was nineteen at home with no responsibilities. The last things you’re fans heard was, ‘We are the kids from Never, Never Land!’ The next they know, they hear you talkin’ about, ‘Ay yo, I be the rough, rugged!’ ‘Oh, these niggas are fulla shit! They tryin’ to act hard!’ Do you know how many people, right now, walk around with the stigmata of, ‘I got fucked-up by them UMC dudes!’ Because of that very statement. It’s awful, B! You know who told me about this years ago? De La Soul! They goin’ outta town and cats be like, ‘Oh, De La is soft!’ Then they see the dudes is towering infernos and they gotta think twice!”

What happened after that?

We got deaded from Wild Pitch because Stu Fine got beat-up. At the time, Stu was making us do ten songs a week, and we weren’t getting paid anything. Our apartment only had two windows, and both of them were facing each other – that was the most depressing place you could imagine being in. We’re living in squalor, we’re very frustrated and angry – things aren’t going well. We got into the studio, it’s Hass’ birthday, and we’re begging Stu to give our publishing back so we could a publishing deal and get a couple of hundred thousand dollars and get it together. Now the shit that was so hurtful was that me and Hass would’ve did anything for Stu. We were like two pitfighters – no one did a better show than UMC’s! You got on the bill with us, you were getting rocked! KRS? Rocked by us! Naughty? Rocked by us! Black Sheep, Main Source, Greg Nice? Rocked by us! And you know what this cocksucker did? He brought a cake to the studio session! Knowing that we were literally hungry at that very moment – hungry like we hadn’t eaten in a couple of days because we didn’t have no money! Hass kicked the cake over, and our team took a ride with that cat on the elevator when they seen that. There wasn’t any words traded between us and them – I seen the look on them cats face, and I knew what was gonna happen. When he got on that elevator, you could just hear the sounds of the tussle and him just screaming. It was some rough brothers that was in there with that dude – he had to be hospitalized. It was an awful thing, man. I really regret that. And then we got blacklisted and nobody would fuck with us, so we had to lay low for a while.

I’ve never made a dime from selling records. If I had started working in McDonalds –
part time – from the time I signed with Wild Pitch until the time that it was truly over, I would have made way more money than I did. When I got my first #1 plaque I had to hop the train. A number one plaque from Billboard, and I had to hop the train to get home! Unbelievable. We sold over 250,000 records, easy. We’ll never know how many really sold…one time I got a letter from the IRS said we owed them a million dollars. I was like, ‘Word? For what?’”

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Mon Oct-29-18 11:43 AM

11. "You don’t want to make a pitch that’s wild. Gotdamn!!! "
In response to Reply # 10

Industry is so shady.

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Mon Oct-29-18 12:01 PM

13. "Thanks, this is very informative"

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Tue Oct-30-18 03:01 PM

16. "Thanks for this"

I never knew the history went this deep. Foul that they never got love from Wu outside of that one production credit when they had history like that but again, history doesn't mean I GOTTA look out.

They had flows and lyrics for sure.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Mon Oct-29-18 12:00 PM

12. "They were L.O.N.S without the ADHD energy. Dope. "
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Oct-29-18 12:00 PM by micMajestic

Most of the beats were pretty good, most of the songs well written. I understand why they flipped their style, but it was unfortunate.

EAS
Charter member
1702 posts
Mon Oct-29-18 01:08 PM

14. "dope as hell"
In response to Reply # 0

I stumbled onto that album 10 years after the fact and that shit banged. The beats were top notch and they had flow. I revisit the album every now and then. It's a shame that when their album dropped the hip hop landscape was changing to a more darker hardcore edge. A very good album got overlooked.

KnowOne
Charter member
39944 posts
Tue Oct-30-18 02:19 PM

15. "they were one of my favs!"
In response to Reply # 0

nm

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Tue Oct-30-18 04:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "Jungle Brothers - DONE BY THE Forces of Nature"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Oct-30-18 04:45 PM by Selah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9xNrJj1TGU&list=PLjDgrlOSYnWhb9g3QokKmbmb3kNYgTYzb

loved that album

back when life was simple

Castro
Charter member
50749 posts
Tue Oct-30-18 05:35 PM

18. "^^^^ the architects of that Native Tongue vibe"
In response to Reply # 17

------------------
One Hundred.

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Wed Oct-31-18 09:36 AM

20. "Hopefully the mods fix my mistake. Should be Fruits of Nature. "
In response to Reply # 17

I did a Jungle Brother appreciation post a while back too.

One of my favorite albums.

Roadblock
Charter member
7871 posts
Tue Oct-30-18 10:15 PM

19. "This tape was stolen by my homie "
In response to Reply # 0

Still Hold it over his head

@GetoutTheroom
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
https://twitter.com/Jayric

Lobby General Discussion topic #13294763 Previous topic | Next topic