Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13282824

Subject: "Cigar smokers - recommend me a cigar" Previous topic | Next topic
Vector
Member since Jan 05th 2006
16356 posts
Wed Aug-29-18 12:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Cigar smokers - recommend me a cigar"

So, I had my first cigar in May while I was on holiday in San Fran for my birthday. I'd been looking forward to that moment for a long time. It was a Coronas Major. But it was a bit disappointing because I "didn't get it". Enjoyed smoking it but I didn't feel it for some reason. Maybe because it was the first time.

Then I had another in July, a Romeo y Julieta, Romeo 3. Now that was a much better smoke and the taste was real nice. The first one didn't have much of a taste. Anyway, I think I "got it". That made me want to try a few more.

If you've smoked a good one hip me to it so I can try a few a different ones and work out what I like.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Partagas
Aug 29th 2018
The Lusitania, mmmmmm, delicioso
Aug 29th 2018
They look good
Aug 30th 2018
RE: Cigar smokers - recommend me a cigar
Aug 29th 2018
I used to enjoy a very fine cigar once a month, here are some recs
Aug 29th 2018
Excellent, thanks
Aug 30th 2018
99.9% of cigars I've smoked, I've dumped the tobacco out first...
Aug 29th 2018
on bong appetit they had some crazy thai stick weed cigars
Aug 29th 2018
Drew Estates Liga Privada No. 9
Aug 29th 2018
It's been about a decade since I smoked, but...
Aug 29th 2018
Rocky Patel Vintage 1992...
Aug 29th 2018
la flor Dominicana Andalusian bull
Aug 29th 2018
RE: a few more
Aug 29th 2018
Side post - which drink goes best with which cigar?
Aug 30th 2018
I usually drink coffee or a cocktail
Aug 30th 2018
Milds wit that Yak
Aug 30th 2018

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Wed Aug-29-18 12:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Partagas"
In response to Reply # 0

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Wed Aug-29-18 03:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "The Lusitania, mmmmmm, delicioso"
In response to Reply # 1

That's a damn fine cigar, rustic in appearance but refined in flavor and preparation.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Vector
16356 posts
Thu Aug-30-18 03:09 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "They look good"
In response to Reply # 1

theMindofFury
Member since Feb 26th 2003
691 posts
Wed Aug-29-18 02:44 PM

2. "RE: Cigar smokers - recommend me a cigar"
In response to Reply # 0

Sign up for a Cigars International catalog (https://www.cigarsinternational.com/help/request-catalog/). Read it. Learn the terminology. Buy sampler packs to get a sense of various brands, cigar strengths, and profiles.

There is no shortage of tasty, well-made cigars on the market, especially if you buy online. Don't spend a ton of money on the big brands like RyJ, Montecristo, Cohiba, etc. Avoid machine made and short-filler crap. Spend a little bit of money on a couple of decent cutters (guillotine, punch).

Having said all that, I can't say I have a one favorite cigar at the moment. Ave Maria and Gurkha make great cigars in various strengths, Drew Estate is the king of flavored cigars (Acid) and has a ton of other interesting projects, but all three brands can be a little pricey. I've always loved CAO and Rocky Patel and 5 Vegas for making different lines of cigars that range from mild to strong with varying price points. I think Alec Bradley is my current go-to brand, they make a lot of great stuff. Carlos Torano Exodus was one of my favorite releases a few years ago. Sample, sample, sample, try lots of things, stay away from full-bodied cigars until you're no longer a novice, and always enjoy with a glass of wine, a beer, or a cocktail.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Wed Aug-29-18 03:10 PM

3. "I used to enjoy a very fine cigar once a month, here are some recs"
In response to Reply # 0

At some point I got very sick smoking one while drunk and since then they have kind of disgusted me, but for 3-4 years I really liked them.

The Cohiba Esplendido is kind of a standard. Very fine cigar. Nice but not overpowering flavor, burns perfectly and that is because they are meticulously prepared. Flavor is outstanding, sort of sweet n salty with robust tobacco aroma and flavor as well. The Robusto and Exquisito are along the same lines. I would probably get an Exquisito because it's not so goddamn big.

If you like something earthier, try Bolivar. The Royal Corona is splendid and I have heard good things about the Belicoso Fino. Personally I don't care for that sort of flavor but I can appreciate it just the same.

I once tried a Viliger cigar, I do not remember what it was called. It was sort of an afterthought to the guy who had the business, but I thought it was pretty good. Very fine smoke, slow-burning and kind of chocalatey. I do not know if it is made any more TBH. This was called La Flor de something or other, had a blue label. Frankly I don't remember where it was from, I guess I just assumed it was Cuban.

Now, you may be frustrated as so far I have named Cubans and you may not have access to them as I did living abroad. Fear not as two non-Cuban choices may be the finest, and they are both found in the $15-$20 range to boot.

For Dominican cigars, Arturo Fuente (and now his heirs Carlos and Carlos Jr) have often turned out a special product. I have had a couple from their stash and they are really nice, even though they are a bit spicier/sharper than I generally like. I don't remember what the one I had was called, came in a brown leather case, but a year or two ago they won several awards for one called Ojo del Tiburon or eye of the shark.

Now, I saved the best (IMHO) for last. Padrón. Nicaragua. This is a robust smoke, flavor like I never felt before, almost too strong but the subtle notes to it temper it and enhance it all at once. The smoke was unusually thick and almost kind of silky, very fun to play around with. I had a couple puffs from different ones but the only one I smoked whole was from the 1926 series. This was a special cigar. It made the Cohibas I smoked--which were many, not just the Esplendido--feel like a stale Black N Mild from the corner store.

Vector
16356 posts
Thu Aug-30-18 03:08 AM

13. "Excellent, thanks"
In response to Reply # 3

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13573 posts
Wed Aug-29-18 03:29 PM

5. "99.9% of cigars I've smoked, I've dumped the tobacco out first..."
In response to Reply # 0

...and twisted in some herb. Even when I had some good ones.

Not a fan of the tobacco leaf buzz.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Wed Aug-29-18 03:53 PM

8. "on bong appetit they had some crazy thai stick weed cigars"
In response to Reply # 5

shit flipped my wig. i really wanted one but they cost about $200!

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Wed Aug-29-18 03:38 PM

6. "Drew Estates Liga Privada No. 9"
In response to Reply # 0

Smooth all the way through.

--- praying for peace, love, and power

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Wed Aug-29-18 03:51 PM

7. "It's been about a decade since I smoked, but..."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Aug-29-18 03:55 PM by stravinskian

My go-to stogies were Ashton VSG, and Cohiba Red-Dot. (That's Dominican Cohiba. The Cuban ones are fantastic, and legendary for a few reasons, but obviously harder to find in the US. Anyway, the Dominican ones are very different cigars and made by a completely different company.)

At one point I turned over almost entirely to Fuente Fuente Opus X, which really are great. They also kept any possibility of a habit in check, since I couldn't afford to have them frequently (those days they sold for about 50 bucks a piece, which is silly, but I guess that makes you treat them like a luxury good).

bibblegolf
Member since Oct 19th 2004
21833 posts
Wed Aug-29-18 04:46 PM

9. "Rocky Patel Vintage 1992..."
In response to Reply # 0

..dipped in some port or bourbon it's great!

https://www.holts.com/media//categoryimage//r/o/rocky-patel-vintage-1992_1.png

"The more a country produces..the richer it is...the better it should take care of it's people. - Dr. Aleida Guevara"

ry 213
Member since Jan 24th 2010
1013 posts
Wed Aug-29-18 10:49 PM

10. "la flor Dominicana Andalusian bull"
In response to Reply # 0

You will thank me after

ry 213
1013 posts
Wed Aug-29-18 10:57 PM

11. "RE: a few more "
In response to Reply # 10

Cao maduro
Cao brasil
Alec Bradley post embargo
Rocky Patel sun grown maduro
My father le bijou
Liga undercrown maduro and shade
New world Connecticut.

For me Nicaragua has the best cigars. Cubans are great but very expensive and over rated.

Vector
16356 posts
Thu Aug-30-18 03:08 AM

12. "Side post - which drink goes best with which cigar?"
In response to Reply # 0

ry 213
1013 posts
Thu Aug-30-18 09:08 AM

15. "I usually drink coffee or a cocktail"
In response to Reply # 12

I recently discovered Rumrunner apple cider which is 12.5% cider aged in rum barrels. It pairs so well with a cigar.

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Thu Aug-30-18 10:52 AM

16. "Milds wit that Yak"
In response to Reply # 12

you knew it was coming

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

Lobby General Discussion topic #13282824 Previous topic | Next topic