Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13281204

Subject: "BlacKkKlansman responds to Boots riley' response on BlacKkKlansman" Previous topic | Next topic
Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Tue Aug-21-18 01:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"BlacKkKlansman responds to Boots riley' response on BlacKkKlansman"

boots commentary
https://twitter.com/BootsRiley/status/1030575674447212544

spoilers spoilers spoilers but even throughout the movie it just had an oddly cop-friendly "bad apples" (instead of "corrupt org") feel
especially in 2018
especially for spike

and then all stories of the critics'/audience praise made more sense

anyway Boots pulls off the covers that dude was essentially local cointelpro prior to infiltrating the klan, and how facts were changed from the book and from real life to craft a certain story/perspective on screen

////
Stallworth responds-
When asked to respond for a comment via email the former police officer replied: “I pray for my demented and dissolute brother.”

spike has not responded tho.
////
Also bro Quannell X in houston getting called out for taking folks' money-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na458nJv_F8
even sued in a couple cases

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
So i thought about it....he's not wrong at all, buuuuuut
Aug 21st 2018
But was X misleading in ways that are consequential?
Aug 21st 2018
RE: So i thought about it....he's not wrong at all, buuuuuut
Aug 21st 2018
      I remember that Dinner for 5 Episode and thought Faison Love was foul
Aug 21st 2018
      Are we talking about Shorty or Brother Baines?
Aug 21st 2018
           word, brother baines was the fictitional character
Aug 22nd 2018
weird response
Aug 21st 2018
what was weird
Aug 21st 2018
      demented and dissolute
Aug 21st 2018
i hate to see us fighting in front of company.
Aug 21st 2018
while true, there are no more out of view places.
Aug 21st 2018
Word
Aug 22nd 2018
Sorry to be redundant
Aug 22nd 2018
Lol, no you don't. This is hypocritical and pro-white supremacy of u
Aug 22nd 2018
      I think you missed his point of not liking to fight IN FRONT OF COMPANY
Aug 22nd 2018
           U missed the point that Reid vs KM was "IN FRONT OF COMPANY"
Aug 22nd 2018
Mad respect to Boots for that. I'd expect nothing less.
Aug 22nd 2018

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Tue Aug-21-18 01:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "So i thought about it....he's not wrong at all, buuuuuut"
In response to Reply # 0

hes not wrong

but

I think a different approach would be a dialog about reality vs. artistic license.

in this case I think Spike, and Jordan made some choices to make a neat lil' politically charged action flick

Was 'X' completely accurate in it's portrayal of Malcom Little/Malcom X?

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49471 posts
Tue Aug-21-18 01:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "But was X misleading in ways that are consequential?"
In response to Reply # 1

The cool thing is that Boots wasn't hating. Its a very respectful critique and it needed to be said. I haven't seen the movie but it doesn't decrease my desire to see it, just something to keep in mind while watching.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Numba_33
Charter member
19340 posts
Tue Aug-21-18 02:10 PM

5. "RE: So i thought about it....he's not wrong at all, buuuuuut"
In response to Reply # 1

>Was 'X' completely accurate in it's portrayal of Malcom
>Little/Malcom X?

Regarding X, I'll never forget what Faison Love said bout X on A Dinner For Five. He said he disliked (he might have even said he hated it) X all because of the character Spike Lee used to insert himself into X. Although he admitted that the remainder of the movie was powerful, the fact Spike Lee 1) inserted a character that wasn't in the autobiography and 2) inserted a comedic sidekick character in the flick as well made his dislike X. His argument w as along the lines that the weakest link in the movie completely soured the entire experience of watching and fully enjoying the movie.

Not to say I fully agree with Faison Love, nor am I a big fan of the dude, but I will never forget that exchange from A Dinner For Five. Helped to provide a different perspective for the flick.

Does anyone else remember that conversation?

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49471 posts
Tue Aug-21-18 02:58 PM

6. "I remember that Dinner for 5 Episode and thought Faison Love was foul"
In response to Reply # 5

I just remember Faison taking shots at Spike Lee with Bullshit complaints about a great movie, and his all white dinner party laughing at the black guy taking shots at Spike that none of them would have been brave enough to make.

The scene stood out to me because it made me not like Faison and thought he was on some bullshit.

Spike inserted himself into the movie? Spike inserted literally every actor into the movie and the role was soo bit and not consequential it made absolutely no negative impact on the film. I remember thinking spike must have turned him down for a role.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

kevb
Charter member
16580 posts
Tue Aug-21-18 07:08 PM

8. "Are we talking about Shorty or Brother Baines?"
In response to Reply # 5

Kev

GROOVEPHI
Charter member
10630 posts
Wed Aug-22-18 07:53 AM

11. "word, brother baines was the fictitional character"
In response to Reply # 8

shorty jarvis was actually one of Malcolm's friends/associates

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16418 posts
Tue Aug-21-18 01:50 PM

2. "weird response"
In response to Reply # 0

im happy to see boots unafraid to use his increased platform to speak out. would be so easy to stay silent and avoid backlash.

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Tue Aug-21-18 01:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "what was weird"
In response to Reply # 2

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16418 posts
Tue Aug-21-18 03:03 PM

7. "demented and dissolute"
In response to Reply # 4

on what basis is he calling boots that?

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Tue Aug-21-18 07:11 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "i hate to see us fighting in front of company."
In response to Reply # 0

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Tue Aug-21-18 07:17 PM

10. "while true, there are no more out of view places. "
In response to Reply # 9

the world is flat and everyone wants to be down.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79755 posts
Wed Aug-22-18 08:19 AM

12. "Word"
In response to Reply # 9

Could it also be because of the timing of Spikes release?

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Numba_33
Charter member
19340 posts
Wed Aug-22-18 08:37 AM

13. "Sorry to be redundant"
In response to Reply # 9

but like I said when you mentioned this in the post in The Popcorn forum, Spike Lee has been doing the same thing Boots Riley did literally for decades now, so while Spike Lee can get upset or disagree with Boots Riley's opinion, he can't get upset at the fact Riley posted his opinion since that would make him a huge hypocrite.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14076 posts
Wed Aug-22-18 08:39 AM

14. "Lol, no you don't. This is hypocritical and pro-white supremacy of u"
In response to Reply # 9

You had zero problem with it here:

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13248994&mesg_id=13248994&listing_type=search

So much so that you made the post yourself.

Boots revealed truths here that *definitely* needed to be revealed about this situation by counter-acting propaganda... especially since folks seem not to actually read anymore. Most of twitter went to war with Killer Mike, and you were one of the people out here bashing him, because you felt it was the right thing to do. Nothing wrong with doing what you feel is right, but when Boots does it, you on some "we don't need to be doing this"? What's especially weird about this is that KM is someone who actually does try to do right by us, but this Stallworth's purpose was to infiltrate groups to fought for us, and he did it to assist our oppressor... yet THIS is when you choose to say you hate to see us checking each other?
Cmon fam. That's beyond suspect.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49471 posts
Wed Aug-22-18 09:07 AM

16. "I think you missed his point of not liking to fight IN FRONT OF COMPANY"
In response to Reply # 14

To which point, pointing out his criticizing KM here (a small mostly black online community), is not exposing any hypocrisy.

Boogie Stimuli
14076 posts
Wed Aug-22-18 09:14 AM

17. "U missed the point that Reid vs KM was "IN FRONT OF COMPANY""
In response to Reply # 16

And he was here enjoying that controversy... making jokes about it...
never mentioning anything about hating to see us "fighting in front of company" then.

But you stay missing points on purpose tho, right?

~
~
~
~
~

Boogie Stimuli
14076 posts
Wed Aug-22-18 08:43 AM

15. "Mad respect to Boots for that. I'd expect nothing less."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm glad to see this brother still committed to his principles and speaking the truth about American history when others would hide, distort and deny it.

~
~
~
~
~

Lobby General Discussion topic #13281204 Previous topic | Next topic