Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13272681

Subject: "What's with the trend of album covers with no text?" Previous topic | Next topic
The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Mon Jul-09-18 09:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"What's with the trend of album covers with no text?"

Who started the current trend of having an album cover with absolutely no text on it (with exception to a parental advisory label for explicit albums)? I know that there have been albums in the past with nothing but a picture and that's it, but those were an exception, not the norm.

I was looking at the list of new releases on Google Play Music and a good number of those albums had no text at all. If it weren't for the streaming service providing info regarding the names of the albums and the artists who made them, I would've been lost.

Could you imagine going to the record store back in the day and having to physically pull out 50% of the albums, that you're thumbing through, just to look at the back of each one so that you could see who made them and what their titles are? That would've been annoying.

I have no problem with the no text concept when the artwork is strong/compelling/effective enough to carry the cover but that's not always the case. A number of those covers could use text (of course done in a stylish font/logo that works with the pic) to give them a better feel/aesthetic because, on their own, they lack strength.

What say y'all?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
text is unnecessary in the streaming era
Jul 09th 2018
I get that but still....
Jul 09th 2018
I love it.. it shows confidence
Jul 09th 2018
I think it works only when....
Jul 09th 2018
      cheap? you act like folks are using letterpress to place text on the cov...
Jul 09th 2018
RE: What's with the trend of album covers with no text?
Jul 09th 2018
I know MBDTF wasn't the first, but I feel like it picked up
Jul 09th 2018
damn near erything w/text is phasing out...look at cpu's
Jul 09th 2018
we got pics and emojis to express everything.
Jul 09th 2018

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85076 posts
Mon Jul-09-18 09:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "text is unnecessary in the streaming era"
In response to Reply # 0

where the album name/artist shows up right under the picture.

<--- Big Baller World Order

The Wordsmith
17070 posts
Mon Jul-09-18 10:00 AM

3. "I get that but still...."
In response to Reply # 1

...sometimes it helps the cover aesthetically. I did mention that streaming services aid those albums. The no text concept works when the pic/artwork is strong enough or else it looks like a plain picture. When that's the case, it looks lazy and thrown together.

Since 1976

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Mon Jul-09-18 09:58 AM

2. "I love it.. it shows confidence"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

The Wordsmith
17070 posts
Mon Jul-09-18 10:03 AM

4. "I think it works only when...."
In response to Reply # 2

....it conveys the message of the album (and is visually pleasing) in a clear manner. Otherwise, it feels cheap.

Since 1976

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Mon Jul-09-18 10:56 AM

7. "cheap? you act like folks are using letterpress to place text on the cov..."
In response to Reply # 4

odd word to use.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7008 posts
Mon Jul-09-18 10:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "RE: What's with the trend of album covers with no text?"
In response to Reply # 0

can you read to text on a small ass cover? on your phone?

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Mon Jul-09-18 10:39 AM

6. "I know MBDTF wasn't the first, but I feel like it picked up"
In response to Reply # 0

after that

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Mon Jul-09-18 10:58 AM

8. "damn near erything w/text is phasing out...look at cpu's"
In response to Reply # 0

everything is a damn icon
and we text using emoji's vs......text lol

=======================================
Coolin...

tariqhu
Charter member
17893 posts
Mon Jul-09-18 11:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "we got pics and emojis to express everything."
In response to Reply # 0

so let the pic tell me something.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Lobby General Discussion topic #13272681 Previous topic | Next topic