Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13272008

Subject: "#EatingOutWhileBlack" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79722 posts
Thu Jul-05-18 10:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"#EatingOutWhileBlack"

https://www.theroot.com/eatingoutwhileblack-subway-employee-calls-911-on-blac-1827358215

Add eating out as a family on your way back from vacation to the list of things that black people can’t seem to do in peace.

A family of seven who stopped at a Subway in Coweta County, Ga., on Monday to eat dinner said that they had the police called on them while they were there because of their race.

The employee’s 911 call was released and in it, she could be heard saying that he needed someone to respond “now” because the family kept going back and forth the bathroom and maybe putting soda in water cups, according to WSBTV.

The horror.

The Dobsons, meanwhile insisted they did nothing wrong.

The crew, including two parents, their four children, and the children’s aunt were all returning from a grandmother’s birthday in South Georgia when they stopped by the Subway to grab a bite.

The family was in the restaurant for about an hour when the employee made her call.

“I need somebody to come through here please, ASAP. Now,” the employee said in the 911 call. “There’s about eight people in a van, and they’ve been in the store for about an hour. They keep going back and forth to the bathrooms by my back door.”

A Newnan police officer showed up. That officer, the Dobsons said, apologized to them, telling them that the employee was suspicious because she had been robbed before and thought they would rob her.

A family of robbers y’all, including their children - ages 8, 12, 13, and 19 - in the family business, I guess is what the employee thought?

“I have a 24-year-old sister who’s a recent graduate of North Carolina A&T . My daughter’s 19. She’s entering sophomore year at Wake Forest University,” Felicia Dobson, the matriarch in the group, told the news station.

“I don’t think she ever felt threatened,” Othniel Dobson, Felicia’s husband, added.

“It breaks my heart. We can’t change our skin color. I have great kids. I have a great family,” Felicia Dobson said.

Dobson said the store owner called her on Tuesday evening to personally apologize. The employee, she was told, was placed on administrative leave. But Dobson wants to see her fired.

Subway franchisee Rosh Patel released a statement to WSBTV noting:

I take this very seriously, and I am fully investigating. I have also used this opportunity to reiterate to my staff the importance of making everyone feel welcome.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
We can't change our skin color.
Jul 05th 2018
hmm.. while you are correct, the skin color is why they do what they do
Jul 05th 2018
This has always been going on
Jul 05th 2018
I thought this was against the law
Jul 05th 2018

after midnight
Member since Jul 04th 2007
1208 posts
Thu Jul-05-18 11:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "We can't change our skin color."
In response to Reply # 0

She really didn't have to say that. Your skin color isn't the problem. People being racist pieces of shit and scary about every damn thing is the problem.

What I'd like to know is; has this tattletale nonsense always been going on and we just weren't paying attention? Or is the new style? Trump-inspired racial micro-aggressions?

The passive-aggressiveness of it is so pussy. So petty.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79722 posts
Thu Jul-05-18 11:48 AM

2. "hmm.. while you are correct, the skin color is why they do what they do"
In response to Reply # 1

It's always happened, I think we are just being more proactive about calling folks out on their bullshit.

before we would just leave or chalk it up to being Black in America.

Cell phones have changed the game tho.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Lurkmode
Member since May 07th 2011
5204 posts
Thu Jul-05-18 12:16 PM

3. "This has always been going on"
In response to Reply # 1

Trump is just steroids or gasoline on the fire.

---------------------------
Signature

TR808
Member since Oct 24th 2012
2012 posts
Thu Jul-05-18 12:53 PM

4. "I thought this was against the law"
In response to Reply # 0

You mean to tell me its ok to call the police when no crime is committed. I thought that was illegal.

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13272008 Previous topic | Next topic