Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13260239

Subject: "Its official: you better stand your ass up" Previous topic | Next topic
The3rdOne
Charter member
9105 posts
Wed May-23-18 01:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Its official: you better stand your ass up"

CNN) NFL players this season must stand during the National Anthem, team owners decided Wednesday in Atlanta, a reaction to fierce backlash against some who took a knee in symbolic opposition to the systemic oppression of people of color, including by police.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said during a news conference that team owners unanimously agreed that the NFL can fine a team whose players protest on the sidelines during the National Anthem but that each team will set will its own rules regarding players who want to kneel. Players will not be fined individually by the league and will have the option to remain in the locker room while the anthem is played.

Previously, there had been no rule that prevented players from protesting.

"We want people to be respectful to the National Anthem," Goodell said. "We want people to stand, that's all personnel, and make sure that they treat this moment in a respectful fashion that's something I think we owe. We've been very sensitive in making sure that we give players choices, but we do believe that that moment is an important moment and one that we are going to focus on."

The NFL Players Association, which was not included in the talks with owners, said the union will review the new policy "and challenge any aspect of it that is inconsistent with the collective bargaining agreement." Owners discussed the topic for two hours on Tuesday and one hour Wednesday, Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam said.

"The vote by NFL club CEOs today contradicts the statements made to our player leadership by Commissioner Roger Goodell and the Chairman of the NFL's Management Council John Mara about the principles, values and patriotism of our League," the association said in a statement.

The move by owners stems from the silent protests that began in 2016, when then-49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick kneeled during the anthem to draw attention to injustice.

It also brought the wrath of President Donald Trump, who in 2017 said players' kneeling showed "total disrespect for our great country."

In recent months, the league has worked toward a reported $90 million social justice partnership with the Players Coalition, using the NFL's platform to highlight players' efforts to curb injustice and to use political connections to push for legislative change.

The conversations in Atlanta came as two free-agent players, Kaepernick and Eric Reid, have filed separate grievances against the league, citing collusion in denying them jobs. Kaepernick and Reid both kneeled during the National Anthem when they were 49ers teammates, and Reid continued his protest last season. Kaepernick has been a free agent since March 2017.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
still a fumble lol
May 23rd 2018
More like the owners snatched it back.
May 23rd 2018
Can they stand like this:
May 23rd 2018
Malcolm Jenkins did.
May 23rd 2018
No...not according to Art Rooney
May 23rd 2018
I hope they do !
May 23rd 2018
RE: Its official: you better stand your ass up
May 23rd 2018
land of the free
May 23rd 2018
they got a union - if their union can't do anything for them..then
May 23rd 2018
Don't need the union's approval for this
May 23rd 2018
      Unions will fight for what they want - strikes, etc.
May 23rd 2018
           lol, not in the NFL playa
May 23rd 2018
                then....that's on them. If you got a weak union, you did that to yoursel...
May 23rd 2018
                     I mean ... the MLBPA is the most powerful labor union in the country
May 23rd 2018
                     Life's about choices. If the players are in a union, voting on who will
May 23rd 2018
                     The NFLPA has been getting ripped to shreds since the 90's
May 23rd 2018
                          then, that's is a reflection of who they are.
May 23rd 2018
                          signing off for today: Last word - the past being the past DOESN'T...
May 23rd 2018
Will the NFL fine the people working the cameras?
May 23rd 2018
So can they do something else?
May 23rd 2018
I'm sure they can and will
May 23rd 2018
      that ish already happened
May 23rd 2018
Christopher Johnson pledges not to force players to stand for anthem
May 23rd 2018
Doesn't his dad work for Trump?
May 23rd 2018
      his brother
May 23rd 2018
the players better ban together
May 23rd 2018
won't happen....would've been done last year but....here we are
May 23rd 2018
hoe-ass shit on behalf of those owners
May 23rd 2018
gon be like 12 muhfkrs on the sideline...erybody else in the locker room
May 23rd 2018
that would be something to see
May 23rd 2018
Conservatism is political AIDS.
May 23rd 2018
NFL players union has made a statement
May 24th 2018
LOL... they making statements
May 24th 2018
      If the union has no power, that's on them - they won't/can't follow thru
May 24th 2018

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Wed May-23-18 01:27 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "still a fumble lol"
In response to Reply # 0

how they threw it back to the owners to deal with.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79735 posts
Wed May-23-18 02:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "More like the owners snatched it back. "
In response to Reply # 1
Wed May-23-18 02:10 PM by legsdiamond

It’s their league. They “OWN” it. All of it

Players are just rented for a few years then tossed aside.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13577 posts
Wed May-23-18 01:52 PM

2. "Can they stand like this:"
In response to Reply # 0

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/08/31/09/0126F59E00000514-0-image-m-43_1472632920226.jpg

Loophole the shit out of the NFL. If they ban that, then start wearing a black wristband or some shit.

MME
Charter member
11940 posts
Wed May-23-18 02:17 PM

4. "Malcolm Jenkins did."
In response to Reply # 2

>http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/08/31/09/0126F59E00000514-0-image-m-43_1472632920226.jpg
>
>
>
>Loophole the shit out of the NFL. If they ban that, then start
>wearing a black wristband or some shit.

FUCK DONALD TRUMP

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Wed May-23-18 02:17 PM

5. "No...not according to Art Rooney"
In response to Reply # 2

=======================================
Coolin...

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24448 posts
Wed May-23-18 02:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "I hope they do !"
In response to Reply # 2

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

hip bopper
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
7385 posts
Wed May-23-18 02:20 PM

6. "RE: Its official: you better stand your ass up"
In response to Reply # 0

https://tenor.com/view/shid-shaq-gif-8351847

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Wed May-23-18 02:22 PM

7. "land of the free"
In response to Reply # 0

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13978 posts
Wed May-23-18 02:23 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "they got a union - if their union can't do anything for them..then"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed May-23-18 02:23 PM by c71

get your union weight up

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed May-23-18 02:31 PM

9. "Don't need the union's approval for this"
In response to Reply # 8

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

c71
13978 posts
Wed May-23-18 02:32 PM

10. "Unions will fight for what they want - strikes, etc."
In response to Reply # 9

No way around that

legsdiamond
79735 posts
Wed May-23-18 02:55 PM

15. "lol, not in the NFL playa"
In response to Reply # 10

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

c71
13978 posts
Wed May-23-18 02:58 PM

17. "then....that's on them. If you got a weak union, you did that to yoursel..."
In response to Reply # 15

they didn't have it in them to have a strong union

Am I supposed to cry that they don't want to do what will make their union strong?

I've heard of baseball strikes done by the union in baseball.

so.......

Bumaye
Member since Jul 28th 2005
800 posts
Wed May-23-18 04:09 PM

23. "I mean ... the MLBPA is the most powerful labor union in the country"
In response to Reply # 17

Not just sports ... ALL of labor. And we're in an era where organized labor is getting mollywhopped. I mean, we just had a decision on Monday undermining mutual aid and protection for workers.

that said, their union has always been the weakest of the sports unions, but it might not be totally fair to compare them to THE most powerful union that exists.

c71
13978 posts
Wed May-23-18 04:16 PM

26. "Life's about choices. If the players are in a union, voting on who will"
In response to Reply # 23

"lead" the union, the union is operating and making decisions....

then.....

It's up to that union apparatus to make moves, decisions, strategies......

what some are trying to say is:

"yeah, the Football players union exists, the players vote for who will lead the union, the union makes decisions, but......."

uh....

no buts

The Football players union exists to make decisions and moves THEREFORE....

whatever the union chooses to do IS A REFLECTION OF WHAT THE PLAYERS HAVE CHOSEN (either by voting for the leaders of the union, etc.).

They choose not to strike, then that's their CHOICE.

They voted, the union exists. If they want something, THEY SHOULD GO TO THEIR UNION LEADERS AND DEMAND IT.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed May-23-18 04:15 PM

25. "The NFLPA has been getting ripped to shreds since the 90's"
In response to Reply # 17

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

c71
13978 posts
Wed May-23-18 04:20 PM

27. "then, that's is a reflection of who they are."
In response to Reply # 25

If they're going to have a union that makes moves, decisions, then they have to make moves and decisions that don't get them "ripped to shreds"

If their union can't keep from getting ripped to shreds, then what is it there for?

c71
13978 posts
Wed May-23-18 04:44 PM

28. "signing off for today: Last word - the past being the past DOESN'T..."
In response to Reply # 25

stop now from being "now"

no matter what the Baseball union did in the past that made the baseball union so "strong" for so long....

no matter what the Football players union did since the 90's that caused it to get totally ripped up at every turn imaginable.....

What the players do NOW with their union is what THEY DO "NOW"

if the football players union NOW chooses to do things that "go nowhere," then that is what they are choosing to do NOW

okay?

j0510
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
2315 posts
Wed May-23-18 02:43 PM

12. "Will the NFL fine the people working the cameras?"
In response to Reply # 0

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dd5Zi4pVwAUbHNo.jpg

No of course not. They are not the product that they want packaged and sold to white america.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Wed May-23-18 02:47 PM

13. "So can they do something else?"
In response to Reply # 0

Or is this going to be an evolving rule that changes in response to the latest thing?

legsdiamond
79735 posts
Wed May-23-18 02:56 PM

16. "I'm sure they can and will"
In response to Reply # 13

and in the end we will probably not remember why this was started in the first place.

unfortunately

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Wed May-23-18 04:13 PM

24. "that ish already happened"
In response to Reply # 16

the moment trump weighed in.. the only people who remember what this is about are the ones who will never forget... and they are all the choir to begin with... maybe I'm being cynical but I don't think so I think it just is what it is.

j0510
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
2315 posts
Wed May-23-18 02:51 PM

14. "Christopher Johnson pledges not to force players to stand for anthem"
In response to Reply # 0

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/23/christopher-johnson-pledges-not-to-force-players-to-stand-for-anthem/

Christopher Johnson pledges not to force players to stand for anthem
Posted by Mike Florio on May 23, 2018, 2:55 PM EDT

On the anthem issue, Big Shield has a few cracks.

Apart from 49ers owner Jed York abstaining from the vote, Jets CEO Christopher Johnson has made it clear that he won’t punish players who violate the new mandate to “respect” the flag.

“I do not like imposing any club-specific rules,” Johnson said, via Bob Glauber of Newsday. “If somebody takes a knee, that fine will be borne by the organization, by me, not the players. I never want to put restrictions on the speech of our players. Do I prefer that they stand? Of course. But I understand if they felt the need to protest. There are some big, complicated issues that we’re all struggling with, and our players are on the front lines. I don’t want to come down on them like a ton of bricks, and I won’t. There will be no club fines or suspensions or any sort of repercussions. If the team gets fined, that’s just something I’ll have to bear.”

Making Johnson’s stance on this intensely political issue even more intriguing is the fact that he’s running the team solely because President Donald Trump made Johnson’s brother, Woody, the U.S. ambassador to the United Kingdom. Christopher’s stance, if it results in more protests, will eventually draw the ire of the New York native who currently resides at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

It remains to be seen whether the fines will increase with each violation, under the notion of progressive discipline that the NFL uses for violations of in-game safety rules. If so, it could get very expensive for Johnson and the Jets.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts

18. "Doesn't his dad work for Trump?"
In response to Reply # 14

------

Cam
Charter member
13287 posts
Wed May-23-18 03:34 PM

21. "his brother"
In response to Reply # 18

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10124 posts

19. "the players better ban together"
In response to Reply # 0

>

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Wed May-23-18 03:17 PM

20. "won't happen....would've been done last year but....here we are"
In response to Reply # 19

=======================================
Coolin...

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Wed May-23-18 03:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
22. "hoe-ass shit on behalf of those owners"
In response to Reply # 0

James Harrison (fuck the Cheatriots) was 100% correct about Goodell

houston_hardhead
Member since Jan 24th 2010
550 posts
Wed May-23-18 05:23 PM

29. "gon be like 12 muhfkrs on the sideline...erybody else in the locker room"
In response to Reply # 0

---------------------------------

So i'm smokin on this cactus, bangin Fat Patrick
hustla til i die baby grindin like a savage
pimp game sweet, breakin ankles and feet
cuz these hoes break they toes til they job complete

H-Town made L.A. paid

Utamaroho
Charter member
17658 posts
Wed May-23-18 05:26 PM

30. "that would be something to see"
In response to Reply # 29

Red, Black, Green

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Wed May-23-18 05:26 PM

31. "Conservatism is political AIDS."
In response to Reply # 0

c71
13978 posts
Thu May-24-18 03:13 PM

32. "NFL players union has made a statement"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/23/opinions/nfl-owners-blew-it-on-national-anthem-terence-moore-opinion/index.html

“And why did the players union leadership proclaim during a statement that it would "challenge any aspect" of the new policy "that is inconsistent with the collective bargaining agreement"?”

so................

replies #23 and #25 allude to how weak the Football players union is (reply #25 talks of the union being "ripped to shreds" since the 90's)

so..........

The UNION LEADERSHIP has made a stand.......

uh.........

do you still want to assert that the union doesn't matter or DOES THE UNION HAVE TO DO WHAT A UNION SHOULD DO?

"oh, the union CAN'T do 'anything'"....is that what y'all want to claim?

legsdiamond
79735 posts
Thu May-24-18 03:20 PM

33. "LOL... they making statements"
In response to Reply # 32

c71
13978 posts
Thu May-24-18 03:22 PM

34. "If the union has no power, that's on them - they won't/can't follow thru"
In response to Reply # 33

on them

but.....

why do you expect the players to have "something" in them to make some protest on the field if...........the players union has "nothing"?

Union has nothing

but...

the players are supposed to have "something" to make some on the field protests.

doesn't compute

Lobby General Discussion topic #13260239 Previous topic | Next topic