Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13256808

Subject: "anyone got a particularly fun proposal story?" Previous topic | Next topic
dba_BAD
Charter member
14873 posts
Tue May-08-18 12:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"anyone got a particularly fun proposal story?"

yes I'm looking for inspiration and good ideas, but feel free to share proposal fails and whatnot too for lulz i dont mind

__

fairweather

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
sure...i told wifey i was going out of town for the weekend
May 08th 2018
sounds awesome..like it came off perfect
May 08th 2018
It didnt...but at the same time it did
May 08th 2018
^Ninja pulled a Darryl from Coming To America...lol.
May 08th 2018
      Took a chance at what? I ain't proposing if there was any questiom
May 08th 2018
           I can dig it. But onna humble, one can only be so certain...
May 08th 2018
                If you asking, and she says no
May 08th 2018
                nahhhhhhh
May 08th 2018
wife had a performance in Dumbo
May 08th 2018
I told my wife we were going to meet Obama
May 08th 2018
I told my wife she'd get a ring from a Cracker Jack box
May 08th 2018
Haha.. great story. I asked my wife’s mom for permission to marry her....
May 08th 2018
only time I got remotely clever was junior year homecoming
May 08th 2018

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59180 posts
Tue May-08-18 12:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "sure...i told wifey i was going out of town for the weekend"
In response to Reply # 0

I also asked one of her friends to say that she knew someone that was opening a restaurant and they could come and eat/drink for free. My wife is difficult, so of course she didn't want to go but acquiesced.

The friend told her they had to pick up a parking pass from the Plaza Hotel. Wifey goes inside and I'm sitting there in the lobby with a couple dozen roses. She shocked of course. We go to a lounge in the Hotel where I tell her i love her and want to spend the rest of my life with her. She agrees. Couple of white girls in the lounge were eavesdropping and come over to congratulate and hug her. Wifey wished her friends were there to congratulate her but accepts it from random white girls. Her friends that she rode with come in to give her a hug and then leave. Wifey is disappointed they're leaving, but they are like "we going to the restaurant opening".

Wifey and I then go to a bakery in the hotel to get dessert, then we have our portraits drawn in Central PArk. We hop in a cab and I blindfold her. We go to a restaurant where about 25 of our family and closest friends are there to celebrate our engagement, including the friends that dropped her off.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

houston_hardhead
Member since Jan 24th 2010
550 posts
Tue May-08-18 12:58 PM

2. "sounds awesome..like it came off perfect"
In response to Reply # 1

---------------------------------

So i'm smokin on this cactus, bangin Fat Patrick
hustla til i die baby grindin like a savage
pimp game sweet, breakin ankles and feet
cuz these hoes break they toes til they job complete

H-Town made L.A. paid

Cenario
59180 posts
Tue May-08-18 04:05 PM

4. "It didnt...but at the same time it did"
In response to Reply # 2

For example, her brother in law was supposed to video tape everything on the hotel, but he got accosted by security lol. They have a lot of celebrities so they have a strict no video in public places policy.

Wife recently had surgery and was annoyed that they asked her to go inside to get the parking passes.

There was another event in the restaurant so as soon as we walked in, people started xlappibg.

Small things that weren't expected but as perfect as it needed to be.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

NoDrawls McGraw
Member since Jun 24th 2007
12122 posts
Tue May-08-18 05:25 PM

6. "^Ninja pulled a Darryl from Coming To America...lol."
In response to Reply # 1

That part about the family members already at the spot....
You took a chance Bruh. Much respect tho, glad it worked out.

https://chriswind.bandcamp.com/track/massage

"You can take an African out of Africa, but you can't take Africa out of the African"
Afro-Americana/Afro-Caribbana/Afro-Latino unite. We are ALL Black!

Cenario
59180 posts
Tue May-08-18 07:06 PM

10. "Took a chance at what? I ain't proposing if there was any questiom"
In response to Reply # 6

As to whether the answer would be yes. I wouldn't even buy the ring lol

NoDrawls McGraw
Member since Jun 24th 2007
12122 posts
Tue May-08-18 07:54 PM

11. "I can dig it. But onna humble, one can only be so certain..."
In response to Reply # 10

There have been men that thought exactly like you and been told 'no' wit the family none-the-wiser after da fact.

But again, I'm glad it worked out for you, Duke.

https://chriswind.bandcamp.com/track/massage

"You can take an African out of Africa, but you can't take Africa out of the African"
Afro-Americana/Afro-Caribbana/Afro-Latino unite. We are ALL Black!

Cenario
59180 posts
Tue May-08-18 08:17 PM

12. "If you asking, and she says no"
In response to Reply # 11

There's a communication issue imo

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Tue May-08-18 10:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "nahhhhhhh"
In response to Reply # 11

if there's any chance it's a no you shouldn't be asking.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Tue May-08-18 01:02 PM

3. "wife had a performance in Dumbo"
In response to Reply # 0

we lived in KY at the time and she got accepted to a dance festival in Brooklyn. We made a big deal out of it.

My fam and her fam came to NYC for the show but really they were there for the proposal

After the show we went to Olive Garden in Times Square. I know, I know.. how dare we eat at such a place. Anyway, I had her ring made by a family friend in the way she described it when we talked about rings because she said she wanted something different.

Man, it took so long to get seated I couldn't wait any longer so I asked her to walk with me. Got down on one knee in Times Square, realized I was standing over a grate so I had to move cause I didn't want the ring to fall like in the movies.

Got on one knee, told her how I felt and why I waited so long to propose.

Some woman in a Pathfinder screamed out SAY YES!!!

She did.

We came back the restaurant and everyone was already seated and we had a nice dinner. It was the first and last time our mothers got to see each other. Shit was magical.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49402 posts
Tue May-08-18 05:03 PM

5. "I told my wife we were going to meet Obama"
In response to Reply # 0

This was well before he was running for President (like 2005). I said there was a small reception at our law school and we were invited. I took her to the exact spot we met on campus and dropped on to one knee. It was a fair amount of time later before she asked, "Sooo, where's Obama?"

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Tue May-08-18 05:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "I told my wife she'd get a ring from a Cracker Jack box"
In response to Reply # 0

That was a running joke I had while we were courting. When I got the ring (nice quality diamond with 2 sapphires on either side, just as she had wanted and written in some notebook she had that I saw years before), I got a bag of Cracker Jack (it's more difficult to find an actual box of CJ than I thought). My mother pulled the gift, placed the ring inside, and resealed both the little gift pouch and the bag.

One evening after work we go out to the mall in Tyson's Corner, VA as I needed some dress shoes. While walking between stores, I produce the bag of CJ. Oblivious to everything, she simply shares the bag with me. When she got to the prize, the little joke card was there...

But no ring.

I go into a walking heart attack, as I'm trying to remain calm, keep my poker face and internally dying as I contemplate having lost a huge chunk of money on a ring that I have no idea where it could be. I hurriedly (but as calmly as possible) stuck my hand in the bag and rifled through every caramel covered kernel until I felt the ring, which must have fell from the prize pack as we were jostling the bag back and forth. Needless to say, a HUGE wave of relief washed over me, although by that point I probably had worried 5 years off my lifespan

Anyway, she finally has eaten enough of the CJ and pulls out the ring with her handful of snack. It takes her a few seconds to realize what she was looking at, but then it hit her. I got down on one knee right in the middle of the mall and popped the question. A few people were around and noticed and clapped, but it wasn't about them at all. All I saw was her

Afterward she called both our parents and her best friend. All of them already knew (I had asked her father for permission to marry her a few weeks before, talked to her mother before that, and my parents were already in on it). I had reservations at McCormick & Schmick's and her best friend (and Maid of Honor), my best friend (and Best man) and a few others were already there. Everybody basically was in on it but her. It was wonderful.

15 years and counting

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Tue May-08-18 05:54 PM

8. "Haha.. great story. I asked my wife’s mom for permission to marry her...."
In response to Reply # 7

Not that I neeed it but I felt it was the noble thing to do after dating for 10 years.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Tue May-08-18 06:22 PM

9. "only time I got remotely clever was junior year homecoming"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue May-08-18 06:25 PM by Nodima

I gave a girl a mix CD where every third track was one word of me asking "Will you dance with me?" while all the tracks were whatever was the hot white kids dance rock stuff from the mid-2000s at the time. I didn't ask her to listen to it straight through or anything so I was taking a gamble that she'd like all the songs.

(In retrospect, I'd find this corny now, but most stuff you do at 17 is corny.)

She did and accepted but the date turned out to be not all I'd built it up to be, probably because I actually didn't enjoy dancing all that much and she was on three separate dance teams and I basically felt like I was Earn squaring up on Tracy after the college gig or going to Van's German heritage event that night lol. I was way out of my element.

But at least I got the ticket to the show, I guess.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Lobby General Discussion topic #13256808 Previous topic | Next topic