Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13250368

Subject: "Has anyone else noticed how white trap/soundcloud rap has been getting?" Previous topic | Next topic
double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Fri Apr-13-18 11:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Has anyone else noticed how white trap/soundcloud rap has been getting?"
Fri Apr-13-18 11:47 AM by double negative

Its something I've been noticing.

I first really got into $uicide Boy$ and spotify being spotify hipped me to a lot of related artists who are getting a lot of play

Ghostmane
Yung Lean (I mean, we been knowing about cat)
Lil Peep
Lil Xan
Wavy Jones
ITSOKTOCRY
Nothing.Nowhere
Bexey
Lil Bo Weep
Lil Tracy
Killstation

etc etc etc

Alright, I'm not saying white people shouldn't rap. White people have made their mark on history in the genre and sub-genres.

I'm simply noticing that trap has splintered and there is a growing emo/trap crossover area. In all my years of following rap/hip hop I've not seen such a growth in a subgenre thats drawing in a lot of new artist who happen to be white. And the surprising thing is that this is all growing organically and its flying under the radar.

It feels like the son of the son of the son of Insane Clown Posse has modernized, forked and joined the splintering genres of Trap.

Whats really interesting is that the space seems to be very removed from hip hop while also directly referencing hip hop. It makes perfect sense that a rapper like Lil' Xan would call Tupac "boring" because he has zero historical connection to Tupac. His references are generations removed from Lil' Wayne who himself was generations removed from hip hop roots.

There is also the whole Xanax angle which is covered here:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/59kn3k/how-soundcloud-rappers-and-xanax-influenced-fashion

see the youtube video, its....its something else.

EDIT: It's important to point out that there are still a LOT of black artists in this space. I want this to be noted. I'm talking about the branching off of the genre and how a new form of the music/aesthetic/perspective is being developed.
There is a Hot Topic like energy thats been circling the area for a while.

bonus: Making of Gucci Gang: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4D-2WiMw5A

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Has anyone else noticed how white trap/soundcloud rap has been getti...
Apr 13th 2018
perhaps I'd say a big difference between then and now is...
Apr 13th 2018
Yup. The nutty thing is the warped tour cats were harder, lol
Apr 13th 2018
      History is going to be kind to Lil B....maybe.
Apr 13th 2018
I am wildin. The kids are entertained.
Apr 13th 2018
"emo trap" lol
Apr 13th 2018

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7005 posts
Fri Apr-13-18 11:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "RE: Has anyone else noticed how white trap/soundcloud rap has been getti..."
In response to Reply # 0

Its not trap...

Its Warped Tour Rap...

This is the same subsection of the community that Fall Out Boy and Panic serviced a decade ago... same exact vibes just over trap hats

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

double negative
22151 posts
Fri Apr-13-18 11:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "perhaps I'd say a big difference between then and now is..."
In response to Reply # 1

the sense of hopelessness has gone up a level

before it was "no one understands me, I'll dye my hair green"

now its "No one understands me....I'll tattoo my fucking face"

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Fri Apr-13-18 11:57 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Yup. The nutty thing is the warped tour cats were harder, lol"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri Apr-13-18 11:59 AM by BigReg

They’ve found a way to market their inherit uncool (how a 21 year old xan got punked by teenagers) as a rap positive.

Funny thing ‘Emo’ was more a label with those rock dudes to separate em from other rock subgenres (nu-metal, resurgant garage + indie rock) but it was as all the same: you had the same rock and rolll shenanigans that happen every generation before this one with sex, drugs, and violence (mostly in the mosh pit tho).

These dudes, i dunno. At least Lil Pump and unfortunately 6ix9ine sound like they are having fun.

Princess Nokia apparently just dropped an emo tape too.

Wanna get really weird; these are all basically Lil B’a sons from the MYSPACE era, lol

double negative
22151 posts
Fri Apr-13-18 12:05 PM

6. "History is going to be kind to Lil B....maybe. "
In response to Reply # 4

His impact on hip hop is pretty fucking huge. I knew that even though I did not like any of his post Pack work, I got the sense that he was really hitting on something influential.

Like, an intersection of internet meme culture, post Wayne rap, fluxus, dadaism, bay area rap and a bunch of other shit I'm not catching

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
84997 posts
Fri Apr-13-18 12:04 PM

5. "I am wildin. The kids are entertained. "
In response to Reply # 1

<--- Big Baller World Order

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Fri Apr-13-18 11:50 AM

3. ""emo trap" lol"
In response to Reply # 0

good one.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13250368 Previous topic | Next topic