Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13246302

Subject: "The Hart Family" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79683 posts
Thu Mar-29-18 07:44 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Hart Family"

This is sad and sketchy. The parents were activist and protested with the kids, one was part of an iconic photo after Ferguson. However, seems like there was also a dark side to these women. 3 of the kids, including Devonte, haven't been found yet and may have been swept away at sea... or maybe not. Who knows. Hopefully they are alive.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/29/us/family-killed-california.html

They were the portrait of a modern family: a married female couple and their six adopted children. And in 2014, they were thrust in front of the world for all to see.

One of those children — Devonte, who is black — was photographed hugging a white police sergeant in Portland, Ore., during a 2014 demonstration to protest police violence. In the photograph, Devonte clung to the officer, a mix of fear and anguish in his eyes.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2018/03/29/autossell/29xp-Cliff-3/merlin_136139289_df40e2f5-618b-448f-8b67-f65653ea810d-master675.jpg

Sgt. Bret Barnum and Devonte Hart at a rally in Portland, Ore., on Nov. 25, 2014. Devonte was one of three children missing after his family’s vehicle plummeted off a cliff in California. Credit Johnny Huu Nguyen, via Associated Press
But the intense news media coverage that followed may have been the reason the Hart family decided to flee to Washington State, the authorities said on Wednesday.

Then, recently, the unthinkable occurred. The family’s sport utility vehicle plunged off a 100-foot cliff in California and was discovered on Monday — upside down, engulfed by the waves of the Pacific Ocean.

Both parents were found dead inside the S.U.V.; three of their children were discovered dead outside it; and the three other children, including Devonte, were still missing on Wednesday evening and feared dead, law enforcement officials said.

Continue reading the main story
Advertisement

Continue reading the main story

“We have every indication to believe that all six children were in there, however only three bodies have been recovered,” said Sheriff Tom Allman of Mendocino County. “We have no evidence and no reason to believe this was an intentional act. Certainly people are wondering what caused this.”

Still, the authorities did not discount the possibility that some of the children may have been staying with friends.

At a news conference on Wednesday, Sheriff Allman conceded that many questions remain: When did the “accident,” as he called it, occur? Why did the S.U.V. drive across at least 75 feet of dirt before plummeting into the ocean? Why weren’t there skid marks? Sheriff Allman said his office knew of no witnesses.

In the meantime, troubling reports about the family have emerged.

Washington State Child Protective Services learned on Friday of allegations of abuse against the Harts and tried to make contact with them that day, but no one answered when its employees visited their home, Norah West, a spokeswoman for the state’s Department of Social and Health Services, said on Wednesday.

Ms. West said that Child Protective Services had opened the inquiry because of “allegations of abuse or neglect in the home.”

She said the children’s agency made two subsequent attempts to establish contact with the family, visiting the home again on Monday and Tuesday, but was unsuccessful. A spokesman for the Clark County Sheriff’s Department in Washington State said he was not aware of any previous interactions with the family.

A neighbor of the Harts in Woodland, Wash., Dana DeKalb, told the NBC affiliate KGW that Devonte, the child from the 2014 photograph, had recently begun venturing over to her home to ask for food, sometimes several times a day.

According to Ms. DeKalb, Devonte said his mothers sometimes withheld food from the children as punishment and disallowed them from going outside.

Ms. DeKalb said she was the one who brought the family to the attention of Child Protective Services. She told KGW that when an employee from the children’s agency visited on Friday, the Harts refused to answer the door, and that the family left only hours later. Ms. DeKalb did not immediately respond to a telephone message on Wednesday night.

Publicly available records show that Sarah Hart had lived in Minnesota for years before eventually moving to West Linn, Ore., and finally Woodland, Wash. Court records show that a woman with her name and age was convicted of misdemeanor domestic assault in Minnesota in 2011.

The crash was discovered Monday afternoon by a passer-by who had used a pullout along the road and seen a vehicle off the embankment on the rocky shoreline. Deputies were sent to that area, called Juan Creek, along Highway 1, more than 500 miles from the Harts’ home.

Photo

Investigators with the California Highway Patrol at the scene where a couple and their children plunged off Highway 1 in an S.U.V. Credit Chris Calder/Fort Bragg Advocate-News & The Mendocino Beacon, via Associated Press
Investigators soon found the vehicle and the bodies, identifying the two adults as Jennifer and Sarah Hart, both 38, of Woodland Wash. By Wednesday, coroner’s officials had identified the bodies of the three children: Markis, 19; Jeremiah, 14; and Abigail, 14. The authorities say the three missing children are: Devonte, 15; Hannah, 16; and Sierra, 12.

In 2014, Devonte was photographed at a demonstration in Portland, Ore., one of many protests across the country of a grand jury’s decision not to bring criminal charges against Darren Wilson, the police officer who fatally shot Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo. Devonte, who was then 12, had been holding a “Free Hugs” sign, and a police officer, Sgt. Bret Barnum, approached him to ask why he was crying.

The photograph of the two embracing, which was first published by The Oregonian, ricocheted around social media and was featured by major news media outlets.

In an interview at the time with The Oregonian, Sergeant Barnum said the boy told him that he was sad “about the protests, kind of about national events.”

“I just kind of sighed,” he recalled, “and said, ‘I’m sorry.’”

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i hope folks are less titillated and looking for salaciousness
Mar 29th 2018
I'm not going to front, at the time I felt like the boy was used for...
Mar 29th 2018
      yeah, at the time I always side eyed the cops hugging kids photos
Mar 29th 2018
      bruh
Mar 29th 2018
Why did I think this was about Kevin Hart lol
Mar 29th 2018
I thought it was going to be about the wrestling family
Mar 29th 2018
      ^^^
Mar 29th 2018
      Same
Mar 29th 2018
i mean, it seems pretty clear that they drove off the cliff...
Mar 29th 2018
that's what I'm thinking
Mar 29th 2018
seems like it
Mar 29th 2018
There's another picture
Mar 30th 2018
damn.. wtf
Mar 30th 2018
the details of this are incredibly sad and terrifying...
Mar 30th 2018
yeah, it sounds like they drove off the cliff on purpose.. peep the quot...
Mar 30th 2018
now authorities are thinking it was intentional
Apr 02nd 2018
very sad
Apr 02nd 2018

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Thu Mar-29-18 11:04 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "i hope folks are less titillated and looking for salaciousness"
In response to Reply # 0

and more look at the tragedy of all these lives lost

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Mar-29-18 11:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I'm not going to front, at the time I felt like the boy was used for..."
In response to Reply # 1

marketing purposes and that didn't sit well with me. Apparently there were issues more deeper than that.

Then there's the whole thing about white folks adopting black kids but I won't go down that road just yet...

legsdiamond
79683 posts
Thu Mar-29-18 12:07 PM

3. "yeah, at the time I always side eyed the cops hugging kids photos"
In response to Reply # 2

or giving a cop a flower..

always seemed hokey.

some of the info thats coming out tho make me wonder if these were the fronting type of liberal parents who adopt black kids then treat them like shit once they are behind closed doors.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Thu Mar-29-18 12:45 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "bruh"
In response to Reply # 2

that is what *I* just had to check myself on

the whole thing is/was a fishy mess

then i said to myself: why you are doing all that speculating, a bunch of kids died

theScholar3000
Member since Nov 27th 2003
32156 posts
Thu Mar-29-18 12:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Why did I think this was about Kevin Hart lol"
In response to Reply # 0

Come, I'll tear up all my poems
for just a little piece
of you...

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18648 posts
Thu Mar-29-18 02:11 PM

7. "I thought it was going to be about the wrestling family "
In response to Reply # 5

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13193 posts
Thu Mar-29-18 02:54 PM

9. "^^^"
In response to Reply # 7

ry 213
Member since Jan 24th 2010
1013 posts
Thu Mar-29-18 06:24 PM

11. "Same"
In response to Reply # 7

PROMO
Charter member
30995 posts
Thu Mar-29-18 02:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "i mean, it seems pretty clear that they drove off the cliff..."
In response to Reply # 0

on purpose.

sounds like the authorities were about to be coming after them. they'd take the kids and put the women in jail.

that's enough to make some people take their whole family out. it's happened lots of times before.

legsdiamond
79683 posts
Thu Mar-29-18 02:22 PM

8. "that's what I'm thinking"
In response to Reply # 6

only other explanation is falling asleep

but more than likely the driver was on some Thelma and Louis shit.

I'm just praying those other 3 kids are alive and ran off which scared them into driving off a cliff.

the neighbors stories sound like these women may have been 2 different people inside and outside the house.

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16416 posts
Thu Mar-29-18 03:04 PM

10. "seems like it"
In response to Reply # 6

i thought i read in an article that they were saying there was no indication it was intentionally yet a couple sentences before it says no brake marks were found.

really weird that they kind find the other 3. like legs said, hope theyre alive. sad for the other kids.

Meadow
Member since May 05th 2012
1160 posts
Fri Mar-30-18 09:28 AM

12. "There's another picture"
In response to Reply # 0

Showing Devonte hugging and crying some drum circle looking guy.

Why would this boy keep hugging and crying complete strangers?

It was clearly a cry for help.

legsdiamond
79683 posts
Fri Mar-30-18 09:57 AM

13. "damn.. wtf"
In response to Reply # 12

Dstl1
Charter member
56235 posts
Fri Mar-30-18 10:17 AM

14. "the details of this are incredibly sad and terrifying..."
In response to Reply # 0

a vehicle falling 100 feet and landing upside down on a giant rock. The thoughts going through the minds of those inside.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

legsdiamond
79683 posts
Fri Mar-30-18 11:39 AM

15. "yeah, it sounds like they drove off the cliff on purpose.. peep the quot..."
In response to Reply # 14
Fri Mar-30-18 11:45 AM by legsdiamond

Neighbor Dana DeKalb told KGW that when a social worker showed up to investigate on Friday, the Harts refused to answer the door. Hours later, DeKalb claims the family disappeared.

"The next morning when we saw that the vehicle was gone, and then Sunday morning when it still wasn't there, we figured something was off," Bruce DeKalb, Dana's husband, told KGW.

Sarah Hart had also been accused of child abuse eight years ago when her family was living in Minnesota, according to KATU.

According to a criminal complaint attained by the station, the couple's 6-year-old adopted daughter told her teacher she had "owies on her tummy," and when the teacher lifted her shirt to check, she saw the child had scattered bruises on her stomach and back.

Sarah told investigators at the time that she "let her anger get out of control the previous day," admitting that she took the child into the bathroom and bent her over the edge of the bathtub, hitting her over the backside. She was given a three-month suspended jail sentence and a year of probation over the incident.

legsdiamond
79683 posts
Mon Apr-02-18 08:06 AM

16. "now authorities are thinking it was intentional"
In response to Reply # 0

computer shows they stopped, then sped up to 90 going over the cliff

unfortunately I don't think those other 3 kids were swept away by the current.

I think they are going to find them back at their property.

smh, why do folks adopt when they aren't built for it?

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16416 posts
Mon Apr-02-18 09:05 AM

17. "very sad"
In response to Reply # 16

Lobby General Discussion topic #13246302 Previous topic | Next topic