Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13245387

Subject: "Virgil Abloh becomes Louis Vuitton's first Black artistic director (swip..." Previous topic | Next topic
BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85068 posts
Mon Mar-26-18 10:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Virgil Abloh becomes Louis Vuitton's first Black artistic director (swip..."

"LV" "Sample" bags coming to a store near you
this is actually really cool though. he's come along way from being one of the goofy looking dude's in Ye's group photo. i know Don C making moves too.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/978191105673048064

Virgil Abloh, the founder of the haute street wear label Off-White and a longtime creative director for Kanye West, will be the next artistic director of men’s wear at Louis Vuitton, one of the oldest and most powerful European houses in the luxury business.

He becomes Louis Vuitton’s first African-American artistic director, and one of the few black designers at the top of a French heritage house. Olivier Rousteing is the creative director of Balmain, and Ozwald Boateng, from Britain, was the designer for Givenchy men’s wear from 2003 to 2007.

“I feel elated,” Mr. Abloh said via phone on Sunday, adding that he planned to relocate his family to Paris to take the job at the largest brand in the stable of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton, the world’s largest luxury group. “This opportunity to think through what the next chapter of design and luxury will mean at a brand that represents the pinnacle of luxury was always a goal in my wildest dreams. And to show a younger generation that there is no one way anyone in this kind of position has to look is a fantastically modern spirit in which to start.”

The appointment, widely rumored in recent months, is part of a shake-up on the men’s wear side of LVMH, which began in January with the departure of Kim Jones, Mr. Abloh’s predecessor at Louis Vuitton. Last week, it was announced that Mr. Jones would become the men’s wear designer at LVMH stablemate Christian Dior, replacing Kris van Assche.

Mr. Abloh’s appointment is also a reflection of the increasing consumer-driven intermingling of the luxury and street wear sectors, which helped boost global sales of luxury personal goods by 5 percent last year to an estimated 263 billion euros (about $325 billion in today’s dollars), according to a recent study by the global consulting firm Bain & Company. And it is an acknowledgment on the part of the luxury industry that it must respond to contemporary culture in new ways.

Continue reading the main story
RELATED COVERAGE

48 HOURS
A Whirlwind Paris Fashion Week With Virgil Abloh MARCH 2, 2018
RECENT COMMENTS
brian nash 20 minutes ago
Am I the only one who thinks this is a sad thing? That it's the continuing decline of well-made, timeless clothing? I am reminded of a...

Miri 21 minutes ago
Virgil Abloh is not African American. His family is from Ghana. Without immigration, he would not be here to celebrate this milestone. We...

Chuck French 21 minutes ago
Aren't there more important news items for the front page of the New York Times than who is selected to be Louis Vuitton's men's wear...

SEE ALL COMMENTS WRITE A COMMENT
“Virgil is incredibly good at creating bridges between the classic and the zeitgeist of the moment,” said Michael Burke, chief executive of Louis Vuitton. The two men first met about 12 years ago when Mr. Abloh spent six months interning at Fendi with Kanye West, where Mr. Burke was then the chief executive.

“I paid them $500 a month!” Mr. Burke said. “I was really impressed with how they brought a whole new vibe to the studio and were disruptive in the best way. Virgil could create a metaphor and a new vocabulary to describe something as old-school as Fendi. I have been following his career ever since.”

Mr. Abloh, 37, a first-generation Ghanaian-American raised in Illinois, is widely considered one of fashion’s consummate purveyors of cool; a master of using irony, reference and the self-aware wink (plus celebrity, music, digital and hype), to recontextualize the familiar and give it an aura of cultural currency.

Despite having no formal fashion education (his mother was a seamstress and taught him her trade; he studied architecture and civil engineering), Mr. Abloh founded Off-White — a reference to his belief that old barriers are breaking down — in 2013, almost a decade after he first meet Mr. West and became his creative partner. In 2015, Off-White was a finalist for the LVMH Young Designers Prize. (Mr. Abloh will be the first LVMH finalist to take on a major design role in an LVMH brand.)

Off-White currently has 3.1 million Instagram followers (Mr. Abloh alone has 1.6 million), and Mr. Abloh received the Urban Luxe award at the British Fashion Awards last year. During the just-past women’s wear season, there was almost a riot in the Rue Cambon outside the Off-White show as fans crowded to get in.

A champion of the cross-branded collaboration, Mr. Abloh has worked with names as varied as Nike, Jimmy Choo, Moncler and, with an upcoming project, Ikea. Most recently, he teamed up with Takashi Murakami, a frequent Vuitton collaborator, for a show at the Gagosian Gallery in London.

“In a way, all of my output has been to make a compelling case for me to take on a role such as this,” Mr. Abloh said. “I think of it as kind of the ultimate collaboration.”

It also presumably made a compelling case that Mr. Abloh could be the man to make Louis Vuitton men’s wear more relevant — and more visible — to the millennial generation. He will build on the foundation laid by Mr. Jones, who also gave classic men’s wear and Vuitton’s history as a luggage expert an urban edge, and recently engineered a sellout collaboration with Supreme, another street-wear success story.

“For the last eight to 10 years we’ve been having this conversation about what’s new, and for me, that has to do with making luxury relatable across generations,” Mr. Abloh said, adding that he had been putting together an eight-page “brand manual” defining the new ethos of his Vuitton. “The first thing I am going to do is define new codes. My muse has always been what people actually wear, and I am really excited to make a luxury version of that.”

Mr. Burke added, “Louis Vuitton was not a couture house. From the mid-19th century to the 1920s and beyond it always sought to cater to the new wealthy class, not the old aristocrats.”

Mr. Abloh also said he would be focused on rethinking how the brand communicated with its consumers, including the release of products, the runway show and the way it interacted with the global political mood.

Certainly, Vuitton will give him a bigger platform than he has had. Men’s wear is currently sold in only about 150 of the 450 Vuitton stores around the world, though the company plans to increase that by between 25 and 28 stores. There are also 13 free-standing men’s stores, with six more planned this year, according to Mr. Burke. Though LVMH does not break out specific brand performance, Mr. Burke said the men’s wear business had been growing in the double digits and “had a stellar 2017.”

That places a burden of expectation on Mr. Abloh’s shoulders, especially given all the hype around his name — he was mentioned for possible top positions at Burberry and Versace. One of the criticisms most often lobbed at him (by Calvin Klein’s designer, Raf Simons, among others) is that his real genius lies in repurposing other people’s work, as opposed to creating new silhouettes of his own.

Mr. Abloh is also not one to shy away from political statement-making, a tactic often seen as a risk for a luxury brand. Last year, during a guest appearance at the Florence men’s wear show, Pitti Uomo, Mr. Abloh eschewed the traditional runway show and instead collaborated with the artist Jenny Holzer on a piece addressing the immigrant crisis.

COMMENTS
“Product is only one part of the luxury narrative,” Mr. Abloh said in the phone interview. “I want to use Louis Vuitton’s history with travel to really look at different cultures around the world to help make all our humanity visible. When creativity melds together with global issues, I believe you can bring the world together. Fashion on this level can really open eyes.”

Mr. Abloh will continue to run Off-White — “it is for the 17-year-old version of myself, whereas Vuitton is for the 37-year-old I am today,” he said — and to work with Mr. West. But he said he would cut back on his other activities, including moonlighting as a D.J. He will show his first collection for Louis Vuitton during Paris Men’s Fashion Week in June.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Virgil Abloh becomes Louis Vuitton's first Black artistic director (...
Mar 26th 2018
yeezy season forever.
Mar 26th 2018
so he was known in the scene?
Mar 27th 2018
      RE: so he was known in the scene?
Mar 27th 2018
i saw mimi valdes post it on insta last night....
Mar 26th 2018
Fantastic.
Mar 26th 2018
Nevermind
Mar 26th 2018
      finesse your way to the top. dont hate the player.
Mar 26th 2018
      you don't get there by telling the truth
Mar 27th 2018
      Sucka for taking the spots Ye wanted? That IG argument is a hard sell
Mar 28th 2018
           Nah, she had a larger argument, beyond Kanye.
Apr 03rd 2018
           i highly doubt ye is tight about this.
Apr 03rd 2018
maaaaaaaaan
Mar 26th 2018
I wanted the off white warby parker collab sunglasses
Apr 03rd 2018
Century21 has boots, in sizes smaller than 9, for around $250.
Apr 05th 2018
RE: maaaaaaaaan
Jun 21st 2018
But he (b)lack. Not (B)lack, though.
Mar 27th 2018
off white having a ripple effect
Apr 05th 2018
this made me tear up a bit
Jun 21st 2018
full show here (link)
Jun 21st 2018
those Louis's are legit
Jun 21st 2018
"sick jordans...wait a second"
Jun 21st 2018
lulz
Jun 21st 2018
umm, how much are these...
Jun 21st 2018
RE: those Louis's are legit-imately ugly as hell
Jun 21st 2018
Avia's in the hizzouz
Jun 21st 2018
RE: Avia's in the hizzouz
Jun 21st 2018
      Dayum...thats blatant
Jun 21st 2018
      i was thinking Pony M-100's at first but no
Jun 21st 2018
           that was my first guess when I saw the plastic grid
Jun 21st 2018
LOL...damn I ain't even catch that...lol i had a pair in the 5th
Jun 21st 2018
lol, they look like fake jordans
Jun 21st 2018
SEE THROUGH WEIRDO CLOTHING
Jun 21st 2018
Someone check on Kanye
Jun 21st 2018
maybe. or he might be sharing a long hug w/ Virgil at the show
Jun 21st 2018
      during that interview with Charlamagne, Kanye was clearly upset Virgil w...
Jun 21st 2018
           RE: during that interview with Charlamagne, Kanye was clearly upset Virg...
Jun 21st 2018
Louis Vuitton Men's Spring-Summer 2021 Show in Tokyo
Oct 13th 2020

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7007 posts
Mon Mar-26-18 11:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "RE: Virgil Abloh becomes Louis Vuitton's first Black artistic director (..."
In response to Reply # 0

This is simply amazing....

Virgil's ascent has been incredible to watch.. The walls between fast fashion, couture, merch have all been crumbling because of the Donda crew... and it was needed.

And yes those Kanye rants around Yeezus started the ripples in the industry to make this possible..

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

BrooklynWHAT
85068 posts
Mon Mar-26-18 01:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "yeezy season forever."
In response to Reply # 1

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Tue Mar-27-18 12:17 PM

8. "so he was known in the scene? "
In response to Reply # 1

I had no idea who he was, then many or the IG music, art and fashion heads I follow started posting about him.

I was like who?

High Snobiety did a little vid to inform folks. I watched it...

I guess, he a genius

double 0
7007 posts
Tue Mar-27-18 12:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "RE: so he was known in the scene? "
In response to Reply # 8

Very much so...

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

dapitts08
Member since Apr 03rd 2008
8204 posts
Mon Mar-26-18 11:52 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "i saw mimi valdes post it on insta last night...."
In response to Reply # 0

so freakin dope....

off white already way out of my price range lol and now smh lol

the key to happiness is not being rich;
it's doing something arduous and
creating something of value and then
being able to reflect on the fruits of your labor

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Mon Mar-26-18 01:19 PM

4. "Fantastic. "
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Mar-26-18 01:40 PM by Cam

Good for that Brother.

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Mon Mar-26-18 03:36 PM

6. "Nevermind"
In response to Reply # 4

I didn't realize he was a sucker.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BgyowdHFvb-/?taken-by=bronze_bombshel

BrooklynWHAT
85068 posts
Mon Mar-26-18 04:01 PM

7. "finesse your way to the top. dont hate the player."
In response to Reply # 6

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Tue Mar-27-18 01:20 PM

10. "you don't get there by telling the truth"
In response to Reply # 7

its usually being a kiss ass at the right times and an asshole at other times..

it's all about knowing when to be

and that's hard as shit

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Wed Mar-28-18 03:23 PM

12. "Sucka for taking the spots Ye wanted? That IG argument is a hard sell"
In response to Reply # 6

Kinda

Cuz u could easily say those brands didn't want to work with kanye, because kanye gonna kanye

Not because he was "a danger to the power structure and white heirarchy"

But if u think dude is dirty just for how he did his friend, like when cockroach took theo's spot on dancemania, then yea I guess

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Tue Apr-03-18 09:08 AM

13. "Nah, she had a larger argument, beyond Kanye."
In response to Reply # 12

https://twitter.com/bronze_bombSHEL/status/978259890534780928

BrooklynWHAT
85068 posts
Tue Apr-03-18 09:48 AM

15. "i highly doubt ye is tight about this."
In response to Reply # 12

they still work together and Kim wished him well on posts.

jdub1313
Charter member
4732 posts
Mon Mar-26-18 02:08 PM

5. "maaaaaaaaan"
In response to Reply # 0

i'm never gonna get the off white am97's now. they already 8 hunna on stockx.

sad face emoji

but fucking awesome for him tho. he doing it bigly.

luminous
Charter member
12475 posts
Tue Apr-03-18 09:43 AM

14. "I wanted the off white warby parker collab sunglasses"
In response to Reply # 5

in large... never going to find that for a reasonable price...

--
Sometimes you have to look reality in the face and say 'No!'
-Ben (Reaper)

If you need any help, don't. Hesitate to ask.

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 01:46 PM

16. "Century21 has boots, in sizes smaller than 9, for around $250."
In response to Reply # 5
Thu Apr-05-18 02:00 PM by Cam

https://www.c21stores.com/categories/men-boots?designer%5B%5D=off-white+c%2Fo+virgil+abloh&designer%5B%5D=dr.+martens+x+off+white+c%2Fo+virgil+abloh

Lil Rabies
Member since Oct 12th 2005
1586 posts
Thu Jun-21-18 07:51 PM

36. "RE: maaaaaaaaan"
In response to Reply # 5

I wanted the air max so bad it still hurts to think about it. Even got me thinking, he moved up, maybe I should make some moves. I want to purchase his stuff but it just keeps going up.

Taking shots in the dark/that's a bad call
Going straight for your head/ gotta saw it off

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Tue Mar-27-18 06:54 PM

11. "But he (b)lack. Not (B)lack, though."
In response to Reply # 0

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 03:44 PM

17. "off white having a ripple effect"
In response to Reply # 0

already .

peep the displaced branding on these:

http://www.modern-notoriety.com/nike-air-force-1-low-jester-violet-mist-release-date/

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

luminous
Charter member
12475 posts
Thu Jun-21-18 12:28 PM

18. "this made me tear up a bit"
In response to Reply # 0

https://pitchfork.com/news/watch-kid-cudi-walk-in-virgil-ablohs-first-louis-vuitton-show/

--
-Ben (Reaper)

luminous
Charter member
12475 posts
Thu Jun-21-18 12:33 PM

19. "full show here (link)"
In response to Reply # 0

https://youtu.be/I1AqjvdiubA

--
-Ben (Reaper)

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Thu Jun-21-18 12:42 PM

20. "those Louis's are legit "
In response to Reply # 0

https://sneakernews.com/2018/06/21/virgil-abloh-louis-vuitton-sneaker-photos/

=======================================
Coolin...

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Thu Jun-21-18 01:03 PM

21. ""sick jordans...wait a second""
In response to Reply # 20

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

luminous
Charter member
12475 posts
Thu Jun-21-18 01:12 PM

23. "lulz"
In response to Reply # 21

--
-Ben (Reaper)

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Thu Jun-21-18 01:11 PM

22. "umm, how much are these..."

pieces of shite?

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Thu Jun-21-18 01:14 PM

24. "RE: those Louis's are legit-imately ugly as hell"

>https://sneakernews.com/2018/06/21/virgil-abloh-louis-vuitton-sneaker-photos/

They look like...fak...nah, they ARE fake looking Terminators

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

http://soundcloud.com/rayandersonjr

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Thu Jun-21-18 01:35 PM

25. "Avia's in the hizzouz"
In response to Reply # 24

double 0
7007 posts
Thu Jun-21-18 01:53 PM

28. "RE: Avia's in the hizzouz"
In response to Reply # 25

I mean....

They are literally Avia 880's

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-e87EbBbfQ88/TkE8HLxfZKI/AAAAAAAAEGs/qmz0BW1qSnU/s1600/AVIA%2B880%2B03.JPG

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Thu Jun-21-18 01:57 PM

29. "Dayum...thats blatant"
In response to Reply # 28

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

http://soundcloud.com/rayandersonjr

Effa
Charter member
29371 posts
Thu Jun-21-18 02:38 PM

30. "i was thinking Pony M-100's at first but no"
In response to Reply # 28

you are 100 percent correct.

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Thu Jun-21-18 03:21 PM

33. "that was my first guess when I saw the plastic grid"
In response to Reply # 30

we had those in HS..

prolly the reason we didn't make the playoffs. Those things were heavy as fuck

We got clowned by every team we played. Our scumbag coach sold us out.. in HS.. for Pony's.

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Thu Jun-21-18 01:40 PM

27. "LOL...damn I ain't even catch that...lol i had a pair in the 5th"
In response to Reply # 24

grade lol

=======================================
Coolin...

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10119 posts
Thu Jun-21-18 01:40 PM

26. "lol, they look like fake jordans"

>

Effa
Charter member
29371 posts
Thu Jun-21-18 02:50 PM

31. "SEE THROUGH WEIRDO CLOTHING"
In response to Reply # 0

whats this guy do besides make shit see through and goof around with branding?

i mean good for him though...

Hitokiri
Charter member
22104 posts
Thu Jun-21-18 03:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
32. "Someone check on Kanye"
In response to Reply # 0

That nigga is somewhere losing what's left of his mind

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

BrooklynWHAT
85068 posts
Thu Jun-21-18 03:36 PM

34. "maybe. or he might be sharing a long hug w/ Virgil at the show "
In response to Reply # 32
Thu Jun-21-18 03:38 PM by BrooklynWHAT

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkSjblUFLIK/?hl=en&taken-by=modernnotoriety

but Ye aint happy for him though. there is no bad blood between them whatsoever. only love. keep hating tho.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkTALHnFhRg/?hl=en&taken-by=modernnotoriety

they all older but still tight. just 1 man short.

Hitokiri
Charter member
22104 posts
Thu Jun-21-18 07:29 PM

35. "during that interview with Charlamagne, Kanye was clearly upset Virgil w..."
In response to Reply # 34

Was getting the looks he wanted for himself.
Glad he's keeping it together, hope he's taking his meds

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

double 0
7007 posts
Thu Jun-21-18 07:58 PM

37. "RE: during that interview with Charlamagne, Kanye was clearly upset Virg..."
In response to Reply # 35

https://youtu.be/zxwfDlhJIpw?t=1h17m50s

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

luminous
Charter member
12475 posts
Tue Oct-13-20 01:14 PM

38. "Louis Vuitton Men's Spring-Summer 2021 Show in Tokyo"
In response to Reply # 0

https://youtu.be/3Z2SN4qx8v8

--
-Ben (Reaper)

Lobby General Discussion topic #13245387 Previous topic | Next topic