Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13242548

Subject: "A fundraising walk for preeclampsia (link)" Previous topic | Next topic
MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22255 posts
Wed Mar-14-18 09:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"A fundraising walk for preeclampsia (link)"

My wife is wanting to raise money and awareness for preeclampsia and HELLP syndrome.

Thank you for visiting my page!

In October I was affected by preclampsia and HELLP during my last trimester. After experiencing what seemed to be normal pregnancy aches and pains, I was hospitalized and gave birth two months early. I was told that I had the perfect storm for developing these disorders - being Black, over 35, and a first time mom. Thankfully me and my baby girl received excellent treatment and are both thriving.

Unfortunately, not all Black, older, first time moms are this lucky. Black moms are affected by preeclampsia, HELLP and other hypertensive disorders of pregnancy at disproportionately higher rates than other moms everyday. We are walking for them.

Thank you for wanting to help raise funds that will increase education, knowledge, and treatments that can save many Black moms and babies.

Want to join my team to make strides? Just click the "Join Our Team" button and register! Registration to attend the Promise Walk is free to all participants.

http://promisewalk.org/Jessica

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Single uppage
May 09th 2018
^ for the cause
May 09th 2018
Damn. My wife was 35 and had it with our first daughter
May 09th 2018
It was all extremely sudden. One week the swelling came, then a week of
May 10th 2018
wife went in for a check up
May 10th 2018
      RE: wife went in for a check up
May 10th 2018
I didn't understand Kweli's verse on Joy until Oct.30th, 2012.
May 10th 2018
      I feel like doctors don't give our women the proper attention
May 10th 2018

MEAT
22255 posts
Wed May-09-18 03:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Single uppage"
In response to Reply # 0

------

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Wed May-09-18 05:51 PM

2. "^ for the cause"
In response to Reply # 0

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79545 posts
Wed May-09-18 05:56 PM

3. "Damn. My wife was 35 and had it with our first daughter"
In response to Reply # 0

What’s crazy is my wife researched and asked doctors about it and they shrugged. Doctors hate when patients use google and I can understand why but they dropped the ball or didn’t give a shit because we were Black.

Our daughter was 5 weeks early.

I also feel like hospitals don’t encourage natural births and try to force C sections on you.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

MEAT
22255 posts
Thu May-10-18 07:47 AM

4. "It was all extremely sudden. One week the swelling came, then a week of "
In response to Reply # 3
Thu May-10-18 08:08 AM by MEAT

A headache which we thought was allergies. And then bam, I'm bleeding, and we had to go to the hospital.
*205/105 was her BP when we first got in. We had three doctors
Two very good and one not as much. The second doctor tried to rush us to c section without even telling us. Nurse just came in and started to prep. I raised a very big stink and got that canceled.
So we spent four days trying to induce and nothing was working. So at that point we were able to get a healthy c section. After two beta steroid shots to get the lungs ready.
Baby came out 32 weeks and 2 days

------

legsdiamond
79545 posts
Thu May-10-18 08:06 AM

6. "wife went in for a check up"
In response to Reply # 4

her blood pressure was up so they told her to see the doctors at the hospital across the street just to be safe. My wife called me telling me not to worry or leave work.

Fuck that, I left work and when I got the the hospital she was already in a bed. I asked if we could go home after they got her pressure under control and the nurse was like "you aren't going home, the baby has to come out"

They tried to induce, it wsn't happening so finally we convinced my wife to have a c section. Originally she wanted to do a natural birth. The first epidural didn't work so they had to give a second one. Then I was prepped for the c section, had on my gear on and waited, and waited, and waited.. finally the nurse comes out and says they had to do an emergency c section because when they gave her another epidural for the surgery it went up and not down.

I was scared as shit.

Finally the doctor came out and told me the baby was healthy and I got to see the baby before my wife because she was recovering.

terrible experience and 3 times as expensive.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

MEAT
22255 posts
Thu May-10-18 08:12 AM

8. "RE: wife went in for a check up"
In response to Reply # 6

Oh man. That wait is killer.
They prepped me and I put on my weight lifting music. In laws were like, what are you doing, I said it's game time let's do this.
I'm normally laid back. But I played sports my whole life. You don't have to get pysched for life that often as an adult though so few people see you like that.
But I was ready. Then I waited. They said 5 minutes. That turned into a long ass 15.
But when I got into the room she was ready and happy.
I was the first one to see the baby and she came out SCREAMING.

------

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44614 posts
Thu May-10-18 07:55 AM

5. "I didn't understand Kweli's verse on Joy until Oct.30th, 2012."
In response to Reply # 3

shit is so real...

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

legsdiamond
79545 posts
Thu May-10-18 08:07 AM

7. "I feel like doctors don't give our women the proper attention"
In response to Reply # 5

maybe it's like this for everyone but I really think they shrug when they hear we our uncomfortable or in pain.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13242548 Previous topic | Next topic