Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13242499

Subject: "RIP, Stephen Hawking" Previous topic | Next topic
stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Tue Mar-13-18 11:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"RIP, Stephen Hawking"

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/mar/14/stephen-hawking-professor-dies-aged-76

I don't even know what to say about this right now. I can't think of anyone who was more influential in my life. It goes without saying that he was an inspirational figure. But a lot of people don't know just how important he really was as a scientist.

We know that black holes have singularities because of Hawking. We know that there has to have been a big bang because of Hawking. The majority of the research done in fundamental physics for the last thirty years has been an attempt to fully understand just one of his discoveries (Hawking radiation). There has been no more important scientific mind in the last fifty years.

He started to have trouble balancing in his mid twenties. He didn't expect to survive to the end of grad school. Now he's gone at 76. Not bad, but we could have used more of him.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
this should be the official post because of its author
Mar 14th 2018
^^^this
Mar 14th 2018
I appreciate this and whichever mod made that decision.
Mar 14th 2018
      No worries. I asked the mod to delete mine when I saw your OP
Mar 14th 2018
incredible human being. RIP
Mar 14th 2018
RIP, Stephen Hawking. The man defied the odds
Mar 14th 2018
I got surprisingly choked up in a lecture this morning.
Mar 14th 2018
Damn.
Mar 14th 2018
Cool story
Mar 14th 2018
respect due.
Mar 14th 2018
Wow, I so appreciate this.
Mar 14th 2018
i knew you'd bring the rich perspective needed
Mar 14th 2018
Talk about being on time with a message.
Mar 14th 2018

J_Stew
Member since Jul 06th 2002
22363 posts
Wed Mar-14-18 01:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "this should be the official post because of its author"
In response to Reply # 0

Pete Burns
Member since Oct 18th 2005
5446 posts
Wed Mar-14-18 02:48 AM

3. "^^^this"
In response to Reply # 1

stravinskian
12698 posts
Wed Mar-14-18 06:44 AM

4. "I appreciate this and whichever mod made that decision."
In response to Reply # 1
Wed Mar-14-18 06:44 AM by stravinskian

Sorry legs: I was typing while you posted.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79618 posts
Wed Mar-14-18 08:18 AM

6. "No worries. I asked the mod to delete mine when I saw your OP"
In response to Reply # 4
Wed Mar-14-18 08:18 AM by legsdiamond

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Mynoriti
Charter member
38820 posts
Wed Mar-14-18 02:04 AM

2. "incredible human being. RIP"
In response to Reply # 0

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Wed Mar-14-18 07:38 AM

5. "RIP, Stephen Hawking. The man defied the odds"
In response to Reply # 0

"I cannot see how nature could have created itself. Only a supernatural force that is outside of space and time could have done that. ~ Francis Collins

stravinskian
12698 posts
Wed Mar-14-18 09:29 AM

7. "I got surprisingly choked up in a lecture this morning. "
In response to Reply # 0

I gave a whole spiel about Hawking as the "patron saint of smart people getting shit done."

There's a trap that really smart people often fall into. Einstein did it, Hawking did it. I'm a nitwit compared to them, but I definitely fell into it. The trap is that if you can be clever enough to get by without doing any work, you just don't do any work.

Hawking estimated that during his undergraduate years, he spent approximately one hour per day working.

Grad school probably would have gone about the same for him. But then he found out that he probably wouldn't survive long enough to finish. (I said mid-twenties above, but it turns out he was 21 when he was diagnosed. The same age as the students I was talking to this morning.)

Imminent death has a way of focusing the mind, as they say. And Hawking, smart as he was, finally knew that his smartness couldn't save him from everything, and he really had to put that smartness to work, real work. Within a few years, he'd proven some of the most important mathematical theorems in fundamental physics. It was a discovery that could have crowned a great scientific career, but for him it was literally just the starting point. Amazingly, he got in a full career after that, and he kept working, and kept discovering, even after his only means of communicating with the outside world was a twitch of the eye. It is mind-boggling what this man accomplished, period. But even more so considering the increasing punishment of his circumstances.

squeeg
Charter member
34484 posts
Wed Mar-14-18 10:05 AM

8. "Damn."
In response to Reply # 7

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Wed Mar-14-18 02:17 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "Cool story"
In response to Reply # 7

When people think there is always tomorrow to do something, they limit what they will try to do today. That is always going to keep you from reaching your potential.
I definitely suffer from that.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Wed Mar-14-18 03:14 PM

10. "respect due. "
In response to Reply # 7

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Wed Mar-14-18 03:57 PM

11. "Wow, I so appreciate this."
In response to Reply # 7

and that trap, tho...

*sigh*

I've never seen it articulated quite like that and it's so true and real. When I think about all I could have accomplished had I put in some actual effort...

the books and screenplays I could have written...that alone

i'm this really intelligent lazy person and its idiotic, really.

thank you for this.

d

rawsouthpaw
Charter member
15496 posts
Wed Mar-14-18 11:30 PM

12. "i knew you'd bring the rich perspective needed"
In response to Reply # 7

thanks for this.

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Wed Mar-14-18 11:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "Talk about being on time with a message."
In response to Reply # 7

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

Lobby General Discussion topic #13242499 Previous topic | Next topic