Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13242373

Subject: "destination wedding planning?" Previous topic | Next topic
SsenepoD
Member since Nov 13th 2007
4331 posts
Tue Mar-13-18 03:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"destination wedding planning?"

So my girl & I have been doing some planning & our basic timeline is to get engaged within the next year & then take at least a year after that to plan the wedding.

My best guess, we're looking at ~May 2020, which seems far to me right now but everyone's telling us you wanna plan as far out as possible since this shit can take way more time than you'd expect.

Now, travel is a big part of our life (we met in Iceland, have done a bunch of international trips together) & we want to have a non-US wedding. Right now we're thinking Mexico since that's been a place we've loved visiting multiple times, plus my immediate family is in SoCal which means cheap flights.

We're thinking of having a smaller ceremony in the states that mostly has our familes, with the destination joint being for friends & immediate fam. ~50 people. I'm thinking we'd rent a big villa with a bunch of rooms to have folks down for a long weekend.

My friends recently got married in Portland & paid ~$8k to rent out this hall for the night. I think we could get a place in MX that would include rooms for everyone for under that. Plus, with things being cheaper in Mx, an open bar & food wouldn't be a problem. I'm imagining the logistics would be a little trickier since it involves travel for people, but besides that not too sure of the drawbacks.

Have any of yall ever planned/gone to a destination wedding? Good stories/bad stories? Thoughts/tips?

http://www.2amDonuts.bandcamp.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
do an all inclusive in the Dominican Republic
Mar 13th 2018
we thought about doing the all inclusive joint
Mar 18th 2018

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Tue Mar-13-18 03:53 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "do an all inclusive in the Dominican Republic"
In response to Reply # 0

- cheap
- easy to get to (flights from all over the US)
- not TOO "3rd world"

my friends did it a couple years ago and it was a blast

SsenepoD
Member since Nov 13th 2007
4331 posts
Sun Mar-18-18 01:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "we thought about doing the all inclusive joint"
In response to Reply # 1

but neither of us have really been into our experiences at spots like that. But DR is def somewhere I wanna visit soon.

Just doing some basic perusing, found a really dope place that might work. my girl is jewish so we're going to do a shabbat dinner instead of a rehearsal dinner, & may swing it so that she writes a story about the intersections in Jewish identity to a publication she's worked with before. fingers crossed we're able to swing it that all/part of the dinner is covered

http://www.2amDonuts.bandcamp.com

Lobby General Discussion topic #13242373 Previous topic | Next topic