Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13240581

Subject: "a tragic story about my 6th grade social studies teacher" Previous topic | Next topic
tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Tue Mar-06-18 08:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"a tragic story about my 6th grade social studies teacher"

one of the best teachers i ever had
tough read
but mental health is so complex

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/03/nyregion/nyc-homeless-nakesha-mental-illness.html

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: a tragic story about my 6th grade social studies teacher
Mar 06th 2018
Shit. That was a tough read. Peace to her.
Mar 06th 2018
thanks for sharing that
Mar 06th 2018
vibrancy
Mar 07th 2018
      RE: vibrancy
Mar 07th 2018
wow.
Mar 07th 2018
sad. is schizophrenia' treatable'?
Mar 07th 2018
this is a story where we as a society obviously failed
Mar 07th 2018
Thanks for sharing, I've been growing callous lately towards the homeles...
Mar 07th 2018
A lot of homeless people don’t want help
Mar 07th 2018
Yeah that's the thing.
Mar 07th 2018
Well good Lord.
Mar 07th 2018
Yeah, I was thinking I must have passed her at some point.
Mar 07th 2018
damn
Mar 07th 2018
this part:
Mar 07th 2018
same page bruh
Mar 11th 2018
this really shook me to my core.
Mar 07th 2018
I'm torn
Mar 08th 2018
painful.
Mar 11th 2018
Question: Do folks then medication should have been forced on her?
Mar 12th 2018
That's the problem
Mar 12th 2018
Thanks for sharing; my sister was at Williams starting 1992
Mar 12th 2018

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43352 posts
Tue Mar-06-18 09:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "RE: a tragic story about my 6th grade social studies teacher"
In response to Reply # 0

Damn just read that all..

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24411 posts
Tue Mar-06-18 10:00 PM

2. "Shit. That was a tough read. Peace to her."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Mar-06-18 10:01 PM by Brew

And to you and her other fam/friends/supporters. That's some sad shit.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Tue Mar-06-18 11:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "thanks for sharing that"
In response to Reply # 0

fascinating and sad article.. sounds like she was a kind and intelligent person and had some serious moments of lucidity living through the tide of her struggle.

mental health is not something to take for granted for yourself or those you love.

What do you remember of her as your teacher?

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Wed Mar-07-18 06:11 AM

4. "vibrancy "
In response to Reply # 3

she was like the black Ms Frizzle
the way she taught was like 6 year old telling you about their favorite youtube clip
it had an effect on me because here was this black woman in an all white enviroment teaching mostly white kids in a way that was relatable
she did black history month in June
she had us write short stories about what we knew about the civil war...and the taught us about it
we would act out stuff in class

it was a colorful person on a mundane canvas

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Wed Mar-07-18 03:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "RE: vibrancy "
In response to Reply # 4

It sounded like she had quite the talent for teaching...

I imagine history could be overwhelming and depressing to someone who really studies it I wonder how much of that contributed to her disengagement from society. Apart from the paranoia, opposition defiance and what does on the surface appear to be schizophrenia she doesn't strike me as completely irrational. She struggled to survive in a world that was probably nothing like she imagined it should be and chose to disengage.. maybe I'm projecting a lot of my own self here and am in no way intending to discount the content of the article and her own experiences but I can relate to some of the choices she made whether we consider them sane and healthy or not...

It is a lesson in realizing how thin the lines that divide can be.

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Wed Mar-07-18 11:04 AM

5. "wow."
In response to Reply # 0

that's heavy.

I'm curious if the children's fathers were homeless also. Did they try to help?

She seemed like a really beautiful person, both inside and out. The clarity/lucidity (if that's the right word) of her writings up until her passing was remarkable.

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Wed Mar-07-18 11:06 AM

6. "sad. is schizophrenia' treatable'?"
In response to Reply # 0

where u can achieve/maintain a high level of functionality

vs the numbing/zoned out effect some ppl describe as caused by mental illness drugs

her pride from her 'rational' side was tough. i have family who has no mental issues, but is basically a charity case away from homelessness, no money for food, appears to survive on a slice of pizza a day, but was too prideful over the years for minimum wage service type jobs. now stuck with not a lot of options.

very frustrating to want something for someone more than they want it for themselves

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5613 posts
Wed Mar-07-18 02:44 PM

7. "this is a story where we as a society obviously failed"
In response to Reply # 0

but it's hard to know what you can do to help someone in a situation like that.

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49382 posts
Wed Mar-07-18 03:01 PM

8. "Thanks for sharing, I've been growing callous lately towards the homeles..."
In response to Reply # 0

Yesterday this dude in tatter pants showing his whole lower body whipped it out and just started pissing in the corner of the stairs I had just walked down.

I was really on some fcuk the homeless.

I do believe though that the state should have been able to take this woman into custody and put her on medication.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79518 posts
Wed Mar-07-18 03:27 PM

10. "A lot of homeless people don’t want help"
In response to Reply # 0

and they don’t want to be in a shelter because it’s dangerous. Especially for women.

I met all types when I worked for a shelter in college. The hard worker, the lazy, the crazy and they guy who just didn’t want to be confined by walls or a job.

Some folks just want to kick it and do their thing.

Mostly though, it’s meds and lack their of.

The nicest homeless person will try to fit someone if their meds are off and they won’t remember any of it the next day.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

soulpsychodelicyde
Member since Nov 18th 2003
12147 posts
Wed Mar-07-18 03:56 PM

12. "Yeah that's the thing. "
In response to Reply # 10

It's a tradeoff. The streets where there elements are fucked but at least you can know what to expect and can protect yourself, or the shelters were there's warmth, but who knows what can happen to you and you're completely unprotected.

And, as clearly evidenced by this piece, many many homeless suffer from mental illness.

Just heartbreaking.

soulpsychodelicyde
Member since Nov 18th 2003
12147 posts
Wed Mar-07-18 03:53 PM

11. "Well good Lord."
In response to Reply # 0

That did me In. Jesus.

I know all of those midtown landmarks so intimately having worked in the 40's on 3rd avenue for years. Probably passed her.

Beautiful piece of reporting by Benjamin, too.

Happy Nakesha finally got some peace.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49382 posts
Wed Mar-07-18 04:25 PM

15. "Yeah, I was thinking I must have passed her at some point. "
In response to Reply # 11

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

unfukwitable
Charter member
22112 posts
Wed Mar-07-18 04:08 PM

13. "damn"
In response to Reply # 0

Aeon
Charter member
43870 posts
Wed Mar-07-18 04:24 PM

14. "this part:"
In response to Reply # 0

"When it was Ms. Moore’s turn, she spoke about how mental illness did not discriminate. “It could be us tomorrow,” she said."

mental health, man... i'd venture to say most of us are on the lacking side of a clean bill of mental health in one way or another, and with it being so taboo/dismissed in so many communities, when and how it deteriorates can be so random.

it's one of the things i fear, knowing how i am - living in my head and such - how i could be losing control and not even realize it to do something about it, like Nakesha. i've been trying to beat it into my family's heads for the past few years, to invest in therapy and whatnot but, it's a long history of no sort of work being done along those lines, so it can feel like an impossible ship to right.

god bless her. heart breaking story.

_

shakin your block with a 6 million dollar bop

_

www.davidevanmcdowell.com

Danny
Member since Mar 03rd 2006
1292 posts
Sun Mar-11-18 07:14 PM

18. "same page bruh"
In response to Reply # 14

http://www.startower.co.uk
http://www.dannyswain.com

dapitts08
Member since Apr 03rd 2008
8204 posts
Wed Mar-07-18 06:26 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
16. "this really shook me to my core."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Mar-07-18 06:27 PM by dapitts08

peace to her, her family, you and all who knew her. thank you for sharing this.

as our homeless population grows, stories like this that bring humanity to the people we pass on the streets - and often don't think twice about - needs to continue to be brought into the light.

i mean mannnnnn....this could easily be me or anyone of yall straight up. none of us know. i've already told my best friend a few weeks ago after reading the article about the ex-football player in lousiana, that if i start heading down this path and begin to lose my mind, that in spite of what i say, get me help. real talk. i know it is probably easier said than done but i wanted my wishes known now while i'm lucid.

the key to happiness is not being rich;
it's doing something arduous and
creating something of value and then
being able to reflect on the fruits of your labor

legsdiamond
79518 posts
Thu Mar-08-18 09:48 AM

17. "I'm torn"
In response to Reply # 0

as someone who worked with the homeless I have a soft spot for them..

but at the same time, it was so exhausting..

mentally I had to tap out.

I told the story about my friend/neighbor who told me she was raped by someone who was in our homeless shelter. He went by a nickname.

When I went to the director to get more info she told he our shelter was a safe haven and they don't give any info to police.

I quite on the spot.

there was also the time a woman finally got an apartment and was like "this time I'm gonna make it! I'm going to make the best of this opportunity"

3 months later she walks out the alley at 2AM, all her front teeth were gone and I could tell she was smoked out. I spoke to her but the way she looked at me.. she knew she squandered a good opportunity. I didn't judge her but I'm sure my eyes didn't hide my sorrow.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Castro
Charter member
50738 posts
Sun Mar-11-18 11:04 PM

19. "painful. "
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Mar-11-18 11:04 PM by Castro

I see so much of this in Baltimore.....and in Philly...and in ATL....

------------------
One Hundred.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49382 posts
Mon Mar-12-18 08:29 AM

20. "Question: Do folks then medication should have been forced on her?"
In response to Reply # 0

Like by the time you are living on the streets, doesn't that mean you can't make such decisions for yourself?

legsdiamond
79518 posts
Mon Mar-12-18 08:52 AM

21. "That's the problem "
In response to Reply # 20

I don't think you can force people to take medication.

Once they get well they essentially can leave most facilities and then it's up to them.

All I know is I could tell when folks at my shelter weren't on their meds and sometimes it was life threatening.

You have to kick those folks out because it gets ugly real quick.

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Mon Mar-12-18 09:43 AM

22. "Thanks for sharing; my sister was at Williams starting 1992"
In response to Reply # 0

and might have crossed Nakesha's path in some of the music/dance groups.

hell, I tried to go to Williams (didn't get in) and would have been there with her.

Tragic story.

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

Lobby General Discussion topic #13240581 Previous topic | Next topic