Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13232567

Subject: "They giving out Star Wars movies like Oprah. GOT Creators getting one (s..." Previous topic | Next topic
BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85077 posts
Tue Feb-06-18 03:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"They giving out Star Wars movies like Oprah. GOT Creators getting one (s..."

yall ready for titties in space?

http://www.starwars.com/news/game-of-thrones-creators-david-benioff-and-d-b-weiss-to-write-and-produce-a-new-series-of-star-wars-films

David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are going from Winterfell to a galaxy far, far away.

It was announced today that Benioff and Weiss, creators of the smash-hit, Emmy Award-winning television series Game of Thrones, will write and produce a new series of Star Wars films.

These new films will be separate from both the episodic Skywalker saga and the recently-announced trilogy being developed by Rian Johnson, writer-director of Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

“David and Dan are some of the best storytellers working today,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “Their command of complex characters, depth of story and richness of mythology will break new ground and boldly push Star Wars in ways I find incredibly exciting.”

“In the summer of 1977 we traveled to a galaxy far, far away, and we’ve been dreaming of it ever since,” Benioff and Weiss said in a joint statement. “We are honored by the opportunity, a little terrified by the responsibility, and so excited to get started as soon as the final season of Game of Thrones is complete.”

No release dates have been set for the new films, and there have (thankfully) been no sightings of White Walkers around Lucasfilm.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I love X Wings and Y fighters and B wings but
Feb 06th 2018
But these dudes proved to be mediocre without the source material
Feb 06th 2018
^^^
Feb 06th 2018
yep - they need a Ghost Writer
Feb 06th 2018
it dont matter they're made men off GOT.
Feb 06th 2018
Shit, the newer seasons have been fast-paced, action-packed, and fun.
Feb 06th 2018
      Yeah, I don’t need all that yappity yap just get to the action.
Feb 06th 2018
They still doing the 'What If The South' won thing?
Feb 06th 2018
They the right guys but this is the wrong project
Feb 06th 2018
Someone needs to tell Kathleen Kennedy to slow down...
Feb 06th 2018
These things are money printing machines
Feb 06th 2018
Marvel has been doing different things.
Feb 06th 2018
That's cause they've only done three/four films so far
Feb 06th 2018
This isn't the most logical comparison.
Feb 07th 2018
A couple things:
Feb 07th 2018
yeah IDK if they are near or far from over-saturation
Feb 07th 2018
Nah, as long as they're *new* series, people will be down.
Feb 06th 2018
I'm waiting for the Dark Knight of Star Wars movies
Feb 06th 2018
yep...
Feb 06th 2018
They sorta already did that with Rogue One
Feb 06th 2018
we wanna see Anakin cutting youngling's heads off
Feb 06th 2018
      LOL. C'mon, man. Even "Dark Knight" wasn't rated R
Feb 06th 2018
Rogue One already happened
Feb 06th 2018
thats not going back to the basics
Feb 07th 2018
Rogue One still better than the other two by miles
Feb 06th 2018
No they aren't they've done 4. That's it. Smh
Feb 07th 2018
<--- Hater has a question *SPOILERS*
Feb 07th 2018
Issa big galaxy.
Feb 07th 2018
      for a split-second I thought Issa Rae was getting to write a SW movie to...
Feb 07th 2018
           lol
Feb 07th 2018
Bob iger announces there mores than 1 SW related show
Feb 07th 2018

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15313 posts
Tue Feb-06-18 03:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I love X Wings and Y fighters and B wings but"
In response to Reply # 0

please, give me the backlash, and let Oscar Isaac just play a disgrunted detective in a rundown vision of Philadelphia or whatever again

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14586 posts
Tue Feb-06-18 03:53 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "But these dudes proved to be mediocre without the source material"
In response to Reply # 0

Unless they plan on adapting some Timothy Zahn shit.

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Tue Feb-06-18 03:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "^^^"
In response to Reply # 2

=======================================
Coolin...

Boogiedwn
Member since Sep 25th 2003
8677 posts
Tue Feb-06-18 03:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "yep - they need a Ghost Writer"
In response to Reply # 2

BrooklynWHAT
85077 posts
Tue Feb-06-18 04:01 PM

6. "it dont matter they're made men off GOT."
In response to Reply # 2

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Tue Feb-06-18 04:41 PM

11. "Shit, the newer seasons have been fast-paced, action-packed, and fun."
In response to Reply # 2

Sounds like what I want in a Star Wars movie to me.

I doubt they're hiring these dudes to do a movie about Princess Leia waiting on one planet biding her time until she can go to the next planet. That may make for a more rich, novelistic experience. But they're hiring these guys because they do big epic action well.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79624 posts
Tue Feb-06-18 09:02 PM

21. "Yeah, I don’t need all that yappity yap just get to the action. "
In response to Reply # 11

I think part of the reason folks bash them now is because they can’t rely on the books to predict or fact check.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Pete Burns
Member since Oct 18th 2005
5446 posts
Tue Feb-06-18 03:59 PM

5. "They still doing the 'What If The South' won thing?"
In response to Reply # 0

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Tue Feb-06-18 04:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "They the right guys but this is the wrong project"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Feb-06-18 04:09 PM by BigReg

Id hire them for an adaptation in a split second, not sure on their original storytelling. The genius of GOT was on the page; the hard part (and where they deserve the praise) was translating all that crazy plot and character stuff into a television show. Funny thing is that it’s not hard to make the argument that GOT might be in debt to star wars (a fantasy series where inter-generational strife and tragedy play a huge part) so you might think it could work…

…Thing is GOT’s strengths don’t align with what the audience expects from a Star Wars film.

Like can’t have 372 equally important characters in a star wars trilogy with you arbitrarily and sadistically killing half of em off when they mess up, take 3-4 hours of screen time to set up the pieces for plotlines 20 episodes down the line, hire adult movie actresses for serious roles, etc. The Star Wars fan base tried to burn everything down because Luke became washed; they just aren’t built for any characterization deeper than a YA movie (and that’s probably giving them too much credit)

The spectacle of Star Wars they are gonna do great work with, not sure about everything else. They would do great on a Star Wars tv show tho like Clone Wars assuming someone else is doing the writing

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Tue Feb-06-18 04:10 PM

8. "Someone needs to tell Kathleen Kennedy to slow down..."
In response to Reply # 0

...on these fucking Star Wars movie. And this is coming from a fan.

Everyone is gonna be burnt the fuck out.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44720 posts
Tue Feb-06-18 04:22 PM

10. "These things are money printing machines"
In response to Reply # 8

Marvel puts out, what? Three movies a year? They still haven't showed any signs or desires of slowing down.

Star Wars is just a movie a year now. They're a long way from over-saturating the market.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Tue Feb-06-18 05:25 PM

15. "Marvel has been doing different things."
In response to Reply # 10

SW has been staying with the same shit Last Jedi aside.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

mrhood75
44720 posts
Tue Feb-06-18 05:31 PM

16. "That's cause they've only done three/four films so far"
In response to Reply # 15

That's a year of Marvel programming.

And even before the third one was in theaters, they annouced a new trilogy in the same world with different characters. And now this new trilogy in the same world with different characters.

The "current" story wraps with Episode 9, plus whatever Star Wars stories one offs they decide to do after Han Solo (probably Yoda and Boba Fett, maybe Obi Wan). Which is a smart idea, because a lot of fans are still going to have an attachment to the original characters in some way, and they can have them as a sometimes food.

And whenever Disney launches their streaming service, they'll probably be original Star Wars related content there too (a la Marvel and Netflix).

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14027 posts
Wed Feb-07-18 09:31 AM

27. "This isn't the most logical comparison."

>Marvel puts out, what? Three movies a year? They still
>haven't showed any signs or desires of slowing down.
>
>Star Wars is just a movie a year now. They're a long way from
>over-saturating the market.

One Marvel movie is about an army soldier in the 40s being frozen for decades. Another is about a talking raccoon, 2 aliens, and a half human/half alien flying through space and fighting god knows what. They could make 6 movies, and none of them would be alike.
Star Wars movies are all space stories and aren't as varied as Marvel stories, so it seems it's much easier for SW to burn ppl out with one movie per year than for Marvel to do the same with 3.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

mrhood75
44720 posts
Wed Feb-07-18 01:42 PM

31. "A couple things:"
In response to Reply # 27

1. The fact that Marvel movies are all "connected" (like the Star Wars movies) is built in to the marketing and general appeal of the films. Lots of the films overlap characters. Audience members are encouraged to stick around through the credits to see the Easter eggs that feature tie-ins to previous or future films. They exist as both separate entities and part of one big picture. I figure Star Wars can follow that template. Shoot, Marvel borrows a lot from them (just like about every modern blockbuster).

2. I don't know if we're sure what these Star Wars films in the future can be/will be. As said through the thread, there's only been three of them, with a fourth months away. I want to see what Rian Johnson and B&W films are going to be about, or see what other stand-alones get announced before I pass judgement. Yeah, they'll all be space movies to some degree, but I don't necessarily see that as a limiting factor any more than all Marvel movies are about superheroes.

They'll keep on churning these out until a couple tank. That's just generally how it works.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Wed Feb-07-18 11:22 AM

30. "yeah IDK if they are near or far from over-saturation "

a lot of art forms have quickly entered oversaturation. Especially commercial ones that are meant to be stamped out

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Tue Feb-06-18 04:42 PM

13. "Nah, as long as they're *new* series, people will be down."
In response to Reply # 8

I think people will burn out on the old characters, if they haven't already, soon. Tie all that off in Episode 9, then everything forward should all be spun off of new shit. I don't need Jabba The Hutt: The Prequel and shit.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Tue Feb-06-18 04:14 PM

9. "I'm waiting for the Dark Knight of Star Wars movies"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Feb-06-18 04:15 PM by sectachrome86

where they strip out all the fluffy shit, and make it more gritty. Like Blade Runner meets Star Wars. Eventually they're going to run this shit into the ground and have to go back to basics to win people back.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Feb-06-18 04:42 PM

12. "yep..."
In response to Reply # 9

>where they strip out all the fluffy shit, and make it more
>gritty. Like Blade Runner meets Star Wars. Eventually they're
>going to run this shit into the ground and have to go back to
>basics to win people back.

mrhood75
44720 posts
Tue Feb-06-18 04:46 PM

14. "They sorta already did that with Rogue One"
In response to Reply # 9

The Rebellion not acting heroic. All of the heroes dying.

I can't see them getting much more grim than that.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Feb-06-18 05:59 PM

17. "we wanna see Anakin cutting youngling's heads off"
In response to Reply # 14

mrhood75
44720 posts
Tue Feb-06-18 06:27 PM

18. "LOL. C'mon, man. Even "Dark Knight" wasn't rated R"
In response to Reply # 17

Neither was Man of Steel, where they basically had people destroying cities wantonly.

This series is staying PG-13 no matter what.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79624 posts
Tue Feb-06-18 09:00 PM

20. "Rogue One already happened"
In response to Reply # 9

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

The3rdOne
Charter member
9105 posts
Wed Feb-07-18 11:07 AM

28. "thats not going back to the basics"
In response to Reply # 9

that's just plain old wanting your Star Wars to grow up parallel to yourself.

(not saying anything is wrong with that)

but I was cool with Rogue One

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5629 posts
Tue Feb-06-18 08:49 PM

19. "Rogue One still better than the other two by miles"
In response to Reply # 0

They're about go into overkill mode, quality about to go right along with it

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Wed Feb-07-18 12:42 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
23. "No they aren't they've done 4. That's it. Smh"
In response to Reply # 19

----------

IG @h_n_z

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28848 posts
Wed Feb-07-18 12:18 AM

22. "<--- Hater has a question *SPOILERS*"
In response to Reply # 0

How the fuck is this series still going on? I thought the one dude killed the evil former good guy dude and the old creepy fuck saving the universe. How in the fuck is there still a good vs evil battle going on when the bad guys are dead?

BrooklynWHAT
85077 posts
Wed Feb-07-18 12:59 AM

24. "Issa big galaxy. "
In response to Reply # 22

Not everything will be related to the empire and the rebellion I assume

RagOnMe
Charter member
999 posts
Wed Feb-07-18 08:05 AM

26. "for a split-second I thought Issa Rae was getting to write a SW movie to..."
In response to Reply # 24

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Wed Feb-07-18 11:18 AM

29. "lol"
In response to Reply # 26

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Wed Feb-07-18 03:01 AM

25. "Bob iger announces there mores than 1 SW related show"
In response to Reply # 0

Being developed. We already knew Filoni was working on something new so that has to be one of them

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2018/02/bob-iger-reveals-that-multiple-star-wars-shows-are-in-development-for-disneys-streaming-service.html

----------

IG @h_n_z

Lobby General Discussion topic #13232567 Previous topic | Next topic