Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13220643

Subject: " Why you still in NYC, young Black people?" Previous topic | Next topic
BlakStaar
Member since May 29th 2002
1261 posts
Fri Dec-15-17 04:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
" Why you still in NYC, young Black people?"
Fri Dec-15-17 04:17 PM by BlakStaar

Why are you still living in NYC?

I’m 30ish and I would like to move back to the city for reasons that are both common and embarrassing.

But! The rent is too damn high and the city’s gentrifying into pure wackness.

And yet, I still wanna go back.

What keeps you in the city or at least in the Tri-State area? I'm expecting to hear a lot about careers but I'm interested in the other reasons.

I often hear some people talk shit about how they ‘gon leave for the above-mentioned reasons but they still there. LOL.

For this convo, let's define young as "40 and under."

White folks: I'm not trying to exclude y'all but race is very relevant to this discussion and why I want to move back to NYC, or at least the East Coast.

--
"Music is not to be possessed; it's to be shared.” - James Mtume

"Just stay loose, keep it raw, and bang ya drums out sometimes." - Madlib

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Young Black people in NYC…
Dec 15th 2017
RE: Young Black people in NYC…
Dec 15th 2017
Originally it was because I didn't want to have to sell my place.
Dec 15th 2017
im in the harlem night's watch. holding the wall as the white walkers
Dec 15th 2017
I ask myself this same question EVERY. FCKING. DAY...
Dec 15th 2017
Why I want to move back:
Dec 15th 2017
short list really
Dec 15th 2017

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7005 posts
Fri Dec-15-17 04:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "RE: Young Black people in NYC…"
In response to Reply # 0

You cannot replace ny..

If you love it you will do what ya need to to stay there..

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

BlakStaar
1261 posts
Fri Dec-15-17 04:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Young Black people in NYC…"
In response to Reply # 1

>You cannot replace ny..
>

I agree. But I'm curious to know EXACTLY what attracts you to the city.

--

Teknontheou
Charter member
32707 posts
Fri Dec-15-17 04:16 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Originally it was because I didn't want to have to sell my place."
In response to Reply # 0

If I had been renting, I would have bounced 5 or 6 years ago.

But more recently, it really is career. I just landed my target job this year and I need at least 3 years under my belt before I can think about leaving. I'll be 41 at that point, so who knows.

NYC is still alot of fun, but it's not magically captivating the way it was when I was in my early and mid-20s. I feel like I'm ready for suburban/smaller-city life, at this point.

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Fri Dec-15-17 05:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "im in the harlem night's watch. holding the wall as the white walkers"
In response to Reply # 0

(and joggers) demon army is fast encroaching. they even set up a whole foods on 125th!

but I remain steadfast.

I shall wear no jean cutoffs and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post.
I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls.
I am the shield that guards the African drum circles of men.

I pledge my life and honor to the harlem Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come*.

*or at least until they raise the last bridge toll to $15 one-way. then im officially priced out this petri dish

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

Somnus
Member since Jun 25th 2012
3553 posts
Fri Dec-15-17 05:25 PM

5. "I ask myself this same question EVERY. FCKING. DAY..."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Dec-15-17 05:37 PM by Somnus

but now I'm locked in for AT LEAST another 3 yrs soooo, yeah...

pass the nod (c) G Dep

The ULTIMATE negation of everything.

The space between despair and orgasm is hard to fill ~ Maron

BlakStaar
1261 posts
Fri Dec-15-17 06:09 PM

6. "Why I want to move back:"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Dec-15-17 06:11 PM by BlakStaar

- I love the vibe and energy of the city.

- Culture. I think of all the things I missed since I left and I just want to fight the air like ya boy in Boyz In The Hood. The pop-up D'Angelo shows with Questlove that would have never popped off in Detroit (I love my hometown, tho!), Kara Walker at the Sugar Factory. Winter Jazz Fest. Random events at the Schomburg. FREE Summerstage concerts. The list goes on and on...

- Career. I work in media. Former news journalist. Now I'm in corporate communications. I'd like to get back in my industry or work for a nonprofit organization or maybe a cable TV channel (think Showtime, HBO, Viacom channel)

- Good public transportation. It may not be what it should be but it's still better than Chicago, D.C., Boston, etc. when you consider all the places the buses and trains go. Just look at the MTA subway map and compare it to the damn WMATA map in D.C., the MARTA in Atlanta. Gotdamn! An unlimited pass beats a car note, car insurance, maintenance repairs and other bullshit.

- SOCIAL. This it literally No. 1 and a post in and of itself. Living in a neighborhood like Harlem or Bedstuy would help me so much. I'm struggling in this department and it's partially because I live in an area where socializing--particularly with the right kinds of young Black people--can be a major chore. I am very introverted so socializing will probably always be a chore, especially as my peers continue to marry and have kids (!) I need all the help I can get. I've lived in NYC before and I've had better social experiences there. Jouelzy (The YouTuber) has videos on living in D.C., Dallas and Houston that only affirm my stance on getting back to NYC.

I remember the day I moved to Harlem, my favorite neighborhood. The weather was perfect and the vibe was right. It was exactly how I thought it would be and gave me a positive outlook after a disappointing HBCU college experience (!) Happiest day of my 20s, to be honest.

I only left NYC because I ran out of money and became quasi-homeless during an emergency I will not detail on these forums.

--

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Fri Dec-15-17 09:38 PM

7. "short list really"
In response to Reply # 0

1. career - the only other market that would pay the same is SF and I already lived there and I hate those motherfuckers

2. wife an I own a house in BK so we have roots.

3. most of my folks are here now, even though I dont kick it (new baby) like i used to

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Lobby General Discussion topic #13220643 Previous topic | Next topic