Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13177668

Subject: "Pocket investments aka stack money while doin' nothing" Previous topic | Next topic
double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 08:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Pocket investments aka stack money while doin' nothing"
Wed Jul-26-17 09:04 AM by double negative

From another thread I brought up the Acorns app.

*What is it?

Its a micro investing platform thats funded using money rounded up from card transactions. Every time you use your card whatever is left over be it 99cents or .01 cent is sent to your Acorns account automatically.

If your total from a transaction is $1.09 then .91 is sent to your Acorns account
If your total from a transaction is $1.99 then .01 is sent to your Acorns account.

I also just learned that if you have other invest accounts linked to the main account thats feeding Acorns then anytime money goes from the main account to the investment account a single dollar goes to your Acorns account.

*So, what? This is is like Keep the Change thingy from Bank of America or Wells fargo?

Kinda. The big difference is that the money is placed in the markets across a mix of stocks and bonds. (large+small company stocks, emerging markets, real estate stocks, gov bonds, corporate bonds, international stocks). Rather than have money sitting in a savings account earning a percent of a percent in interest the money is used to earn and grow.

*Can I get under the hood and select individual stocks, funds, etfs, etc?

Not really. You just have to set your risk level. The levels are, Conservative, Moderately Conservative, Moderate, Moderately Aggressive and Aggressive.

*Anything else?

Kinda, I also have it set to drop in 20 bucks each Monday.

*Does it work?

Absolutely, I've been using it in the background since January and I'm just under 1k. Thats $1000 gained doing nothing but setting it up and going on about my life.

I personally believe in "bucketing", thats having your money parked in several places while also earning money in several places. This is the dumbest most easy things to do. It's like giving your future self a gift off GP.

*What else you using?

Betterment, Robinhood plus some other stuff, but we're talking about mobile investing right now.

If you want a invite code let me know or PM me. The invite code gifts you 5 free dollars for getting started.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
What are the fees like?
Jul 26th 2017
FOCUSED
Jul 26th 2017
$1.25 per month for accounts with a balance under $5,000
Jul 26th 2017
      Sounds like a rip off to me
Jul 26th 2017
           I'm not exactly sure how to respond to you on this one.
Jul 26th 2017
           you're applying advanced sabermetrics to a little league game
Jul 26th 2017
           RE: Sounds like a rip off to me
Jul 26th 2017
           That's what I'm saying. The more you invest, the less terrible this beco...
Jul 26th 2017
                RE: That's what I'm saying. The more you invest, the less terrible this ...
Jul 26th 2017
                     I'm not trying to be all in your pockets, but how much did you deposit?
Jul 26th 2017
           baby steps Pimp.. you are on another level,
Jul 26th 2017
           I have a 401K, a savings account, a 529
Jul 26th 2017
I set it up last night but it's not activated yet. Takes 1 to 3 days
Jul 26th 2017
get it going. forget about it and then look at it a month from now
Jul 26th 2017
so did I, did an initial $20 and a recurring $20/month, for now
Jul 26th 2017
      I'm going to round up and maybe do the $1 per transaction
Jul 26th 2017
RE: Pocket investments aka stack money while doin' nothing
Jul 26th 2017
RE: Pocket investments aka stack money while doin' nothing
Jul 26th 2017
I've been using "digit" for a minute now..
Jul 26th 2017
Robinhood is....its a toy but its not.
Jul 26th 2017
      that's exactly how I got mines set up
Jul 26th 2017
Acorns won't let me do the round up from my Credit Union.
Jul 26th 2017

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 09:05 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "What are the fees like?"
In response to Reply # 0

willi_dudat
Member since Jul 26th 2005
8272 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 09:07 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "FOCUSED"
In response to Reply # 1

!

"It's the return of the gangsta, thanks ta..."

-du

double negative
22151 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 09:08 AM

3. "$1.25 per month for accounts with a balance under $5,000"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed Jul-26-17 09:08 AM by double negative

which if you look at the big picture is pocket change.

Acorns is completely free to download. Once an account is opened, there are no fees on $0 balances and after that we only charge $1.25 per month for accounts with a balance under $5,000 and 0.275% per year (charged monthly, computed daily), for accounts with a balance of $5,000 and over. For more information on our fees, including our Fee Estimator, please visit the PDS on our website.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 09:20 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Sounds like a rip off to me"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed Jul-26-17 09:22 AM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

How many transactions are you doing a month? Let's say you do 50. On average you will round up $0.50 on each to put in this acorn account.

So you've invested $25 and paid $1.25 in Acorn fees (I'm not even considering any potential expenses in the actual investment accounts)

That's 5% of your investment gone off top each month. The market isn't giving 5% monthly returns on the regular. Probably more like .7% per month in good times.
You are paying 5% each month and getting around a 1% return on investment. Doesn't sound like a good deal to me unless I'm missing something.

So you are losing big time in this thing because the fee is so large compared to the investment size.

To me, it looks better just stuffing your money into a savings account

double negative
22151 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 09:32 AM

6. "I'm not exactly sure how to respond to you on this one. "
In response to Reply # 5
Wed Jul-26-17 09:33 AM by double negative

-There are always nay sayers with this sort of stuff which I understand to a degree

-But at the same time, I think in terms of human behavior and this is but one tool to counter human behavior to produce a good outcome (i.e. people rarely save and saving is seen as a laborious endeavor - this is a tool to passively do some saving for you)

-Often when pushback comes up no solution is offered or if a solution is offered its something that is a big more complex or more geared towards people who want to tinker. Its kind of like the Apple vs. Android argument. Android users want to tinker and customize and Apple users just want convenience at any price.

-I am but one person but my market gain/loss is +3.28% and my total gain/loss is +2.80% is that amazing? Not exactly, BUT if you consider the fact that a regular degular savings account has a yield of, what .01 to .03% PLUS a minimum balance this is nearly a no brainer.

No account minimum needed and a higher rate of return?

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8435 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 09:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "you're applying advanced sabermetrics to a little league game"
In response to Reply # 5

there's nothing wrong with the core of what you're saying, of course, but this product targets the kind of people who need outside discipline.

Perhaps at some point they further their financial literacy, but in the meantime it seems like a fairly innocuous way for them to realize how easy saving funds can be

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7007 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 09:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "RE: Sounds like a rip off to me"
In response to Reply # 5

The amount is fixed...

It's $1 whether 20.00 goes in or 300.00 goes in..

My fees over 4 mos are $4.. my total investment based on JUST fractions of a $ was 219.12

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 10:01 AM

16. "That's what I'm saying. The more you invest, the less terrible this beco..."
In response to Reply # 12
Wed Jul-26-17 10:04 AM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

If you strictly round up, the fees are killing you to the point where they greatly outweigh any investment gains.

If you round up plus add a hundred bucks or so a month, it could be worthwhile. Definitely not a good investment, but you won't be losing right out the gate.

But at that point, the novelty of the app goes away. The round up feature doesn't really contribute much to even cover fees. It's the additional saving component that is useful. And you might as well use another less costly platform for that

Everybody keeps saying it's for people who don't have discipline. But you have to have the discipline to consciously save extra to make this thing worthwhile.

double 0
7007 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 10:19 AM

18. "RE: That's what I'm saying. The more you invest, the less terrible this ..."
In response to Reply # 16

The number I quoted was strictly round up.

Fees suck but $4 on 219 is not even 2%

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 10:43 AM

20. "I'm not trying to be all in your pockets, but how much did you deposit?"
In response to Reply # 18

Out of that $219, how much was gains from your investment?

jimi
Charter member
4614 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 09:53 AM

14. "baby steps Pimp.. you are on another level,"
In response to Reply # 5

For folks doing that many transactions, yeah your right on..

but for folks trying to get their feet wet, this might do, for now.. until they get to where you at with it

@silentintellect

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 01:32 PM

21. "I have a 401K, a savings account, a 529"
In response to Reply # 5

but this is another way to save a few coins.

I will give it a try and see how it goes.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 09:20 AM

4. "I set it up last night but it's not activated yet. Takes 1 to 3 days"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

double negative
22151 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 09:33 AM

7. "get it going. forget about it and then look at it a month from now"
In response to Reply # 4

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 10:17 AM

17. "so did I, did an initial $20 and a recurring $20/month, for now"
In response to Reply # 4

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 01:34 PM

22. "I'm going to round up and maybe do the $1 per transaction"
In response to Reply # 17

I throw a little money this way and that way on payday and I think it would prolly be another 3 to 5 dollars a week on top of the roundups.

double 0
7007 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 09:38 AM

9. "RE: Pocket investments aka stack money while doin' nothing"
In response to Reply # 0

It's been very dope for me..

two simple issues though

1. You can access the money too easy.. As soon as you see it accrue enough you can tap it... instead of say a traditional investment account that you wont pay attention to for years.

2. while the $12 a year doesnt seem bad. It seems the majority of the investment is in index funds anyway. You could just simple open a vanguard etf and have it deduct x amount a day/week/month with no fee.

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

double negative
22151 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 09:46 AM

10. "RE: Pocket investments aka stack money while doin' nothing"
In response to Reply # 9

>2. while the $12 a year doesnt seem bad. It seems the
>majority of the investment is in index funds anyway. You
>could just simple open a vanguard etf and have it deduct x
>amount a day/week/month with no fee.

here is the thing, at least for me, I would say that this is more of something for small & short term (under 3 years) investments

But thats just me, I'm also stuffing money into other places and other investment accounts.

good points made however

jimi
Charter member
4614 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 09:46 AM

11. "I've been using "digit" for a minute now.. "
In response to Reply # 0

very useful .. and I like getting the monthly text that says I saved <some amount> over the course of a month.. great for an emergency

I was using betterment but then left (at the time i had this and vanguard.. I just kept the vanguard) I do miss how you can set your risk tolerance, vanguard doesn't have that so I might go back

I just started using robinhood.. the plan is to stash money in there probably for year before buying (who knows that may change)

double negative
22151 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 09:53 AM

13. "Robinhood is....its a toy but its not. "
In response to Reply # 11

I have it set where a small amount goes in once a week and once I have enough to buy something I like I go for it.

I move slow and I think long.

Its just another bucket.

for long long long term stuff I go with a brokerage firm

jimi
Charter member
4614 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 09:55 AM

15. "that's exactly how I got mines set up"
In response to Reply # 13

@silentintellect

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23880 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 10:22 AM

19. "Acorns won't let me do the round up from my Credit Union."
In response to Reply # 0

I still contribute a weekly amount, but the round up was my whole reason for using this after jumping ship from BoA.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Lobby General Discussion topic #13177668 Previous topic | Next topic