Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13173339

Subject: "When life keeps serving you L's. " Previous topic | Next topic
double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Thu Jul-13-17 10:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"When life keeps serving you L's. "

Tell me some stories about those times in life where shit just keeps happening.

In the past 30 days...

My grandma passed

My uncle passed mysteriously

My wife sprained her ankle badly after going ass over tea kettle down a flight of stairs

I've been under the gun like fuck at work - I'm riding 5 projects at once. At least one day a week I'm getting home at midnight or in some cases 2am or later.

+ a bunch of other shit I'd rather not get into that are made of the things that will make you lie awake at night and want to swim in a pool of whiskey.

I ain't been sleeping much, anytime I get extra money other shit keeps popping up, be it life shit, shit for the house or just general surprises.

Its raining shit from every area in my life, this shit right here is for the birds man.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
man
Jul 13th 2017
damn
Jul 13th 2017
sorry about all of that man. it will alll work out.
Jul 13th 2017
      same to you
Jul 13th 2017
what do people that don't believe in God do?
Jul 13th 2017
this might sound weird but...
Jul 13th 2017
I get it...
Jul 13th 2017
the same thing that folks who
Jul 13th 2017
I know it's odd coming from me but maybe don't focus on L's right now?
Jul 13th 2017
When you're going through it
Jul 13th 2017
It most certainly is but still gotta try
Jul 13th 2017
      Agreed
Jul 13th 2017
normally I try to....its relentless nature of things thats hard
Jul 13th 2017
      It's a fight man that's one thing I know. Just make it to the bell
Jul 13th 2017
      ^^
Jul 13th 2017
Summer-Fall 2010
Jul 13th 2017
Smoke them joints, man!
Jul 13th 2017
you already know!
Jul 13th 2017
these times will really test you
Jul 13th 2017
Sorry if this is too personal
Jul 14th 2017
      RE: Sorry if this is too personal
Jul 15th 2017
Peep April to October of 1995:
Jul 13th 2017
thank you
Jul 13th 2017
October 1995, all I was worried about was football.
Jul 14th 2017
Damn. Sorry to hear about all this.
Jul 13th 2017
^^
Jul 13th 2017
January 2016-January2017 I'll keep it as brief as I can
Jul 14th 2017
wow
Jul 14th 2017
helps to know u aint alone and errybody get they turn
Jul 14th 2017
^
Jul 15th 2017
As cliché as it sounds...this post reminds me how....
Jul 15th 2017
There's no such thing as a loss......
Jul 15th 2017
Man I was gonna complain but then I read some of these
Jul 15th 2017
It happened when I was 23.
Jul 15th 2017

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Thu Jul-13-17 10:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "man"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm under the gun too. My manager is having relationship issues and they're playing out at work. she's hired another dude, he's arrogant as fuck. he came in as a supervisor, he hasn't had a workload like the regular staff. just....UGH.

My family has to move. My 3 stepsons are unmotivated and I gotta give em the tought love. I'm downsizing to a smaller place but I have NO MONEY so I'm staying with my brother. My wife and 2 daughters will be staying with a family friend.

I've been giving away shit or taking it to the dump cause I gotta be out by the 24th.

I'll be 43 on the 18th.

I made a wrong turn somewhere.

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

stattic
Charter member
29791 posts
Thu Jul-13-17 10:44 AM

2. "damn"
In response to Reply # 1

that is rough

double negative
22151 posts
Thu Jul-13-17 11:03 AM

5. "sorry about all of that man. it will alll work out. "
In response to Reply # 1

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Thu Jul-13-17 12:22 PM

15. "same to you"
In response to Reply # 5

My b for my lack of compassion, but I just got an email that the boss and her new sycophant wanna meet.

I have a feeling I'll just be leaving for the day. They can kiss my ass.

I'm sorry for the losses you've experienced, man. Losing relatives will really make you put $hit in perspective.

I went to my old boss and asked if he had any openings, it's that real. I will take a demotion just to not be bothered.

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Thu Jul-13-17 10:53 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "what do people that don't believe in God do?"
In response to Reply # 0

not saying you don't..just saying.

they say what defines us is how well we rise after falling...

double negative
22151 posts
Thu Jul-13-17 11:02 AM

4. "this might sound weird but..."
In response to Reply # 3

This:

https://assets.wired.com/photos/w_1235/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/GettyImages-200218465-002_TOP-ART.jpg

For the sake of not having to explain a ton, lets just say that I am heavily atheist leaning. I know that it has to rain to before the sun shines and at the same time, the sun is never meant to shine forever. Things come and things go.

Whats the significance of the water? Literally, sit down and have a glass of water, your body needs it and there is a good chance you're dehydrated - from a symbolic point it means slowing down and having a mindful moment to reflect on the fact that again, nothing bad last forever, time passes, life is short, life is long but in the end everything passes, life is a series of transient events and states.

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Thu Jul-13-17 11:20 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "I get it..."
In response to Reply # 4

thank you.

seems so textbook tho. like, it sounds so easy but I'm sure it's not...

tariqhu
Charter member
17879 posts
Thu Jul-13-17 11:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "the same thing that folks who"
In response to Reply # 3

believe in god do. you just keep moving and trying to find the next positive, logical move. the process just doesn't include praying to anyone.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Thu Jul-13-17 11:05 AM

6. "I know it's odd coming from me but maybe don't focus on L's right now?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jul-13-17 11:06 AM by Atillah Moor

Sorry to hear about your struggles. Stay positive or rather speak on it

rhchick
Charter member
15057 posts
Thu Jul-13-17 11:06 AM

7. "When you're going through it "
In response to Reply # 6

it's difficult to see the up side on things.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Thu Jul-13-17 11:32 AM

12. "It most certainly is but still gotta try "
In response to Reply # 7

rhchick
Charter member
15057 posts
Thu Jul-13-17 12:43 PM

18. "Agreed"
In response to Reply # 12

Whenever I come through I have a true appreciation for the struggle.

double negative
22151 posts
Thu Jul-13-17 11:12 AM

8. "normally I try to....its relentless nature of things thats hard"
In response to Reply # 6

one thing after another after another after another after another after another after another after another after another

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Thu Jul-13-17 11:33 AM

14. "It's a fight man that's one thing I know. Just make it to the bell"
In response to Reply # 8

It'll come

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Thu Jul-13-17 06:42 PM

21. "^^"
In response to Reply # 8

shit be domino'n.

you get to a point where you googling Cal-gon to see if they make anything you can snort. Take too long to run bath water

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Thu Jul-13-17 11:27 AM

10. "Summer-Fall 2010"
In response to Reply # 0

- a woman broke my heart into pieces
- fall out with one of my closest friends (we're more than good now)
- other friends showed me I couldnt really fuck with them
- the lights in my apartment went out after my landlord told me utilities were included (I moved in a year prior), I guess utilities werent included and the previous tenant never had service suspended, so I was without electricity for a week until someone could come by
- I've only been on two nightmare dates, one was winter 2009 and the other was summer 2010 while I was on the rebound

I dont look back at those days fondly at all

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13563 posts
Thu Jul-13-17 11:33 AM

13. "Smoke them joints, man!"
In response to Reply # 0

double negative
22151 posts
Thu Jul-13-17 02:04 PM

20. "you already know!"
In response to Reply # 13

dopestethiopian
Member since Oct 21st 2004
2705 posts
Thu Jul-13-17 12:35 PM

16. "these times will really test you"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jul-13-17 12:47 PM by dopestethiopian

from 05 - 07:

first year of college: grandmother dies
family cutting me off bc they stopped talking to my mom
severely depressed, no friends, isolated
stopped going to class, so i get kicked out of school
mom cuts me off for getting kicked out of school
fire burns down all of my belongings
+plus a bunch of other things that somehow feel monumental when you are young and depressed
spent many years after feeling stuck

take care of yourself and deal with your emotions now. these things can easily snowball. peace.

-----
ctrl+alt+del

AFRICAN
Charter member
11871 posts
Fri Jul-14-17 08:12 AM

24. "Sorry if this is too personal"
In response to Reply # 16

Did you ever make it up with the the extended family who cut you off?
I have some extended family who are dead to me and I can't bring myself to be civil even though they apologized and keep trying to make amends.
Being cut off for no reason is the worst.

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
instagram:@3rdworldview
Blessed be the Lord /who believe any mess they read up on the message board

dopestethiopian
Member since Oct 21st 2004
2705 posts
Sat Jul-15-17 01:45 PM

34. "RE: Sorry if this is too personal"
In response to Reply # 24

>Did you ever make it up with the the extended family who cut
>you off?
>I have some extended family who are dead to me and I can't
>bring myself to be civil even though they apologized and keep
>trying to make amends.
>Being cut off for no reason is the worst.

if someone offers a sincere apology, i cannot hold a grudge. i am only in contact with two family members. there was no acknowledgement let alone apology for what was said/done. so i am cordial with the two, but the relationships are still superficial.

lines are semi-tapped, but i will say this type of behavior was not an isolated incident. havent seen/communicated with the rest, but i'm no longer so resentful. family always has a way of circling back to you, so who knows what's in the future.

-----
ctrl+alt+del

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44829 posts
Thu Jul-13-17 12:39 PM

17. "Peep April to October of 1995: "
In response to Reply # 0

And then and then and then and then. I’ve been in too many stretches of situations like that to count.

We got taken away right before my 14th birthday and sent to live with an aunt, who was basically a higher functioning version of my mom. We’d get into and she’d inevitably kick me out. Then she’d call the cops and report me as a runaway. After a few months I had no friends left to let me crash because my aunt would send cops to their house to get me. Most of our conflict centered on her going to work, heading to the bar, and not getting home until midnight, damn near every night…. Leaving me to feed bath, and put to bed my five siblings…. And get the two school age kids up and ready in the mornings before I left for school. You know, the sort of lack of actual parenting that , in part, lead to us getting removed to begin with.

A year prior to this I had a fight and got hit in the eye with a full can of soda, and my left eye can’t move upward to this day. My aunt took me to get looked at and the doctor said that the bone cracked and the muscle of my eye got trapped in the bone, and that I’d need surgery to fix it. My aunt said that since I wanted to be a hoodlum gangbanger and fight (entirely untrue, but the story behind that fight is immaterial here) that I needed to find my own way too and from surgery.

We lived in Yucca Valley and the doctor we were referred to was in San Bernardino. So, you know, I’m 14 and told to go handle this surgery on my own. My social worker was “working on it” but nothing materialized. I also had to go to summer school. My aunt dropped me off in the morning but said I had to find a ride back. Well.. the school, La Contenta Middle school in Yucca Valley, was in the middle of the fucking desert. It wasn’t like I’d have to walk through city blocks or some shit. The first mile or so of that shit was straight desert highway… in the middle of fucking summer. Shit was anything but fun but whatever.

So my aunt was talking about taking me to “visit” my great-grandmother to help her do some work on her house. I caught wind that she planned to leave me there.

My uncle’s ex-wife lived at the bottom of the grade, this long ass hill in Morongo you have to take to get to yucca. Her daughter, Sherry, was at the house and saw what was going down and told me I could come to their house if things boiled over that night. So when my aunt was ready to leave I bailed. She was driving one of my cousins out there with me so had to take him anyways, but told my older cousin not to let me in that night. SO I was locked out for the night. I called Sherry and she backed out on me. She said she didn’t expect my aunt to actually lock me out, but that I could come the next day to figure out my next move. So I slept on the porch at my aunts I walked from the middle of Yucca like 3/5’s of the way down the grade to Sherry’s mom’s house in the middle of summer. I get there and my fucking cousins show up a few hours after I get there to pick me up, on some “you don’t talk about what goes on in our house” shit.

They dropped me off at my aunts friend’s house, who took me in, and that was cool, but my aunt still found ways to fuck with me. She got a few hundred dollars in 900 number bills and blamed me. Fun fact? Her son was home for a week during that month. He even said it was him but NOPE. She blamed me and kept my clothing allotment from the state.

Anyhow her friend had a roommate had friends in the same town I was from and I rolled out with him for a weekend to visit my people. He left earlier than we agreed on so when I got to the meeting spot he was already back home. Again, my aunt heard and reported me as a runaway. So my social worker said I had a warrant for my arrest….actually, looking back I doubt that, but that was her standard threat when I was awol, which would turn out to be often.

So I turn myself and she puts me in a home in Moreno Valley. I’m there for a few weeks before she moves me to another home, because the first was simply an interim home until a more permanent placement opened up. Of course, nobody told me that going in. So I get to the new home and get into a scrap with two eses and their boys the second my worker left. So I went awol, this time for real.

I get the same warrant threat from my worker and turned myself in, and told her why I left. So where does she take me? The same fucking place and yeah, that went as well as the first. I stuck it out for a few weeks but that shit wasn’t good. It was the most stereotypical foster home there was. We had a big bag of off brand cheerios, frozen hamburger patties, some off brand ass ramen (yeah, that shit exists lol) and that was IT while this lady cooked up meals for her fam and took their food to the back. Between that and the tiny, loudmouth eses with their big homies always a step away, the shitty food, zero supervision and another long ass walk to and from school (though at least this was a suburban setting), what was the point of staying? So I went awol again.

Keep in mind, ALL of this happened between April 5th and October and I’m leaving out a lot of details. I had just turned 14.

Nothing but L’s and life whooping my ass bruh. My aunt eventually took all my siblings to my great-grandmother’s for a “weekend” and never fucking returned. Like, everything I mentioned in here had incredibly long-lasting ramifications. One domino hit the other and on and on it went.

Things just get real sometimes. “it is what it is” is cliché to the point of parody but damn if it’s not the perfectly concise and succinct explanation for those sorts of circumstances.

Life is giving you that work right now, but you’ll be alright. As the saying goes, when it rains, it poors. Find a way to shelter yourself from that shit. I’m glad you shared because that’s part of it.

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Thu Jul-13-17 06:47 PM

22. "thank you "
In response to Reply # 17

for sharing

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Fri Jul-14-17 08:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
28. "October 1995, all I was worried about was football."
In response to Reply # 17

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg

Just trying to share the world - www.JySbr.net

BKDominican
Member since Jan 13th 2011
936 posts
Thu Jul-13-17 01:58 PM

19. "Damn. Sorry to hear about all this."
In response to Reply # 0

I moved out of my ex wife's place last year

Working to officially file for divorce ASAP

My daughters (18 and 10) are seeing therapists. The youngest is struggling with the divorce and my eldest is showing signs of mild depression at times.

I had lost my job in January over some petty shit and my old supervisor knew she had secured a new job and quit the week after she fired me.

I am finally working now and this job is amazing so I guess things are bound to run for all of us in small ways. Let's ride this wave and reach out for support when you need it. I am here to listen

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Thu Jul-13-17 06:48 PM

23. "^^"
In response to Reply # 19

A Sizzle
Member since Jul 28th 2008
1644 posts
Fri Jul-14-17 08:44 AM

25. "January 2016-January2017 I'll keep it as brief as I can"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jul-14-17 08:56 AM by A Sizzle

First off, I'm sorry for your losses and the things you're dealing with. They tell me it gets better, so my hope is that you find your way through all of this and grow stronger from it.

We had a miscarriage in July of 2015 so when my wife told me we were expecting in January 2016, we were ecstatic, yet cautious. We told our family in February, on my 29th birthday of both the pending child and of the miscarriage. We hadn't discussed that with anyone.

In April, my Dad informs me that my Mother has to get a high risk heart surgery. She got the surgery in May and never came back home. She was in and out of ICU for three months with a variety of complications. She battled. She finally went into Cardiac Arrest on August 5th, and died August 7th at 1:24pm.

During that three month span, my Dad was losing weight, sounded like he had a cold at times, and seemed kind of lethargic. I just chalked it up to stress between work and caring for my Mom day in and day out. He never missed a day at the hospital. Not one. No more than a month after she passed, I find out he has cancer. I say "I found out" because he'd known since April, when they knew my Mom needed the surgery. My mom didnt know either. He made the decision to keep it to himself, because he felt that he had to focus on my Mom and "didn't want to take anymore joy away from me and my wife's pending child."

He began chemo at home at the end of September, a day after his birthday. My daughter was born Oct 13 via c-section. Two days later, as I'm loading the car to take my wife and daughter home, my Dad calls and mumbles that he needs to go to ER. He had throat cancer so his tumor had grown to impair his ability to swallow or talk, and the chemo made him too weak to walk. We thought he might die that night. I ask him to write down anything I need to do. In that note, he informs me that he cheated on my Mom and I have twin 7 year old brothers. I've been an only child for 29 years. My parents were together for 43 years. He assures me my Mom never knew.

His treatment was tweaked, and he began radiation. He stayed at rehab center nearby, where my Mom had stayed briefly a year or two earlier. Two doors down. Things were looking good at Thanksgiving, he was walking, talking and eating like I'd known him to do. Meanwhile, I'm struggling with the baby stuff, sibling stuff, my wife is struggling to recover from the C Section and breast feed. I'm taking care of his matters, my mom's matters and trying to take care of home. Thank God for my Mother in law.

Things got worse for my Dad. My Grandfather dies on January 5th. My Dad is rushed to the hospital at 11pm on January 18th. I go. He's stable at about 4am and gets a room. He tells me to go home. I get a call at 6am to come back to the hospital. As they prepare to take him to surgery, he codes. His wishes were to let him go, which we'd discussed. I told them to stop as everyone rushed to the room. He died at January 19th at 8:28am. Same hospital, same floor, 4 doors from where my Mom died.

I'm a fuckin mess. Not everyday. But often. My wife has been incredbile. Any family I'm close with is spread out in other states. It feels like no one can really relate so many days I just feel incredibly lonely. I'm working on an album about all of this. Its my form of therapy for the time being. My hope is that through music, my pain will help someone else deal with theirs. Because its helping me deal with mine. At least a little bit. I probably need to see someone but that will have to wait for now.

http://www.mixcloud.com/adotsizzle/

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Fri Jul-14-17 11:38 AM

26. "wow"
In response to Reply # 25

that's a lot. Thank you for sharing.

puts a lot of things in perspective.

2.tears.in.a.bucket
Member since Sep 04th 2009
6185 posts
Fri Jul-14-17 12:42 PM

27. "helps to know u aint alone and errybody get they turn"
In response to Reply # 0

life got a tailor-made boot for kicking each of our asses. most of us anyways.

stay strong champ.

meditation helps me realize that awl of this shit is temporary.

♚♚♚♚

#BYLUG >>> https://goo.gl/1ooFp6

♚♚♚♚

screamin' mothafuck a 12 /
bitches ain't shit /
cops ain't neither /
they huntin' my people /

- i. rashad

♚♚♚♚

wluv
Member since Jan 27th 2003
4362 posts
Sat Jul-15-17 08:41 AM

29. "^"
In response to Reply # 27

live long enough everybody gets a turn.

sometimes all u can do is hold on and ride sht out.

Seven
Member since Dec 11th 2004
10708 posts
Sat Jul-15-17 09:22 AM

30. "As cliché as it sounds...this post reminds me how...."
In response to Reply # 0

...great the human spirit is.

I've had my fair share of L's over the last decade or so. The lines are tapped so I won't go into details. I will say, though, that if I could go back i probably wouldn't change a thing. Well...maybe one thing. Lol. But yeah man...great post.

Keep on keeping on.

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28840 posts
Sat Jul-15-17 09:57 AM

31. "There's no such thing as a loss......"
In response to Reply # 0

Once upon a time I heard of someone that committed fraud of some kind, got into an accident with an appropriated vehicle, skipped a court date, talked his or herself out of getting arrested while in the back of a police car, and basically barely escaped an arrest warrant fleeing a good 12 hours before cops would flock his or her location. Motherfucker, allegedly as I am not sure on the complete details of this situation, decided to lay low on 3+ day bus ride across state lines until arriving at college.

There's no such thing as a loss.

Then there was the time that another individual may or may not have committed a somewhat heinous action and spent 6.25 months in Costa Rica laying low as things blew over. This person slept in a park for three hours after removing all traces of themselves from their apartment as they took this vacation.

There's no such thing as a loss

Once upon a time another american citizen decided to go on the run because charges were coming down and he'd done a decade of federal sponsored meditation. Guy needed someone to help him get his affairs in order as he ran down to somewhere hopped train to somewhere and explored nature across the border to somewhere.

None of these instances are losses but responses to the ever changing world dynamic.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Sat Jul-15-17 10:33 AM

32. "Man I was gonna complain but then I read some of these"
In response to Reply # 0

The good thing is that for the most part you all personally have your health and at least the simple majority of these problems will come to pass.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Sat Jul-15-17 12:30 PM

33. "It happened when I was 23."
In response to Reply # 0

And was mostly based on my daughter being KIDNAPPED from me. I won't get into the details...but I'll say this. There could be a nuclear armaggeddon and I'd have an easier time dealing with it than I did with the storm back then. Hate to sound cliché....but it's not what happens to you...it's how you cope. That shitstorm sucked but it taught me how to cope.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13173339 Previous topic | Next topic