Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13170926

Subject: "Whatever happened to those old racists in those civil rights photos" Previous topic | Next topic
rdhull
Charter member
33109 posts
Tue Jul-04-17 09:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Whatever happened to those old racists in those civil rights photos"

https://afrosapiophile.com/2017/02/21/same-old-bigots/

What ever happened to those white folks from those old photos?
A few months ago from this day of publishing, I had an interesting discussion with a white guy at work. The subject of riots came up. Pretty much, he attempted to place a mass association of “riots” to Black Lives Matter protesters. Fascinated with his thoughts (which severely lacked critical thinking), I threw him a critical thinking question:

“Do you think that Black Live Matter protesters, command riots?”
I had to repeat the question because he was in total shock, as if he had walked from a train wreck, because he didn’t expect to engage in critical thinking.

detroit_race_riots
Do you think MLK changed this white man’s bigoted social ideology? Any of them?
He answered no, which was smart; they do not command riots to occur. It’s a bit stupid to suggest such. While he did concede the point that BLM do not command riots, he pointed out that the riot association is strong because that’s all the data the media supplies him (you don’t think that’s without intent?) and still, overall, if the protests were PEACEFUL then change would occur. I pointed out that there’s numerous peaceful protests, they occur all the time. I as a street photographer (and freelance journalist) have been to many, and can literally report on a lot of knowledge. I mentioned one 60 miles from our location that happened months prior. I also mentioned what the media does when they are peaceful protests and vigils — they leave without reporting. Still, he was unmoved, because to him credentialed media > freelance journalism. So okay.

“Peaceful? You mean like Colin Kaepernick?“
Once again I saw this white fellow, robbed of breath, beginning to realize what type of corner he walked himself into. He, a regular white-American male, hates Colin Kaepernick. He really despises Colin Kaepernick. He hates his PEACEFUL protest. It’s really baffling, because he also mentioned MLK which made things even more hilariously awkward.

“Do you think that all whites, or the majority of white people, were behind MLK off of one speech?”
At this point, with the strength of his disdain for Colin Kaepernick and his peaceful protest, I had finalized the convo — I told him that technically, if this were August 1963, he would have been the regular white guy who hated, loathed Martin Luther King. I was compelled to tell the fellow that white people were NOT all on board when Martin Luther King arrived on the scene. I had to tell him that he in his white self, technically, was the status quo, and his feelings of Kaepernick and MLK would be congruent.

“The truth is, you would have been one of the ones completely antagonistic to those protesters back then buddy.”
two-white-men-happy-about-us-hurt
How many whites you know who would love to do this to any random black protester?
Being that I linked him (and for the most part, most of White America) to those angry, white supremacy defending whites in all the old Civil Rights photographs, I began wondering, where in the hell did they all go? What ever happened to them?

I began collecting more of these photos. Being a modern day street photographer essentially crating digging older street photographs made me realize that I’m a part of an old, long lasting American tradition — free press. The task made me feel like I’m discovering my roots as a professional. All those photos. All those faces.

The faces were the same faces we see modern day. All those angry, yelling, vulgar white faces. What ever happened to them? When the Civil Rights Act was placed into law, did all these people just vanish? Did they all out of nowhere, realize that they were wrong, and we were right, and stopped their racist thoughts and ideologies?

lunch-counter
Look at all of the white people in defense of white supremacy back then. This is a metaphor for what happens to “SJWs” on social (and conservative) media. Nothing has changed.
I highly doubt that the white faces in the first Civil Rights Era just automatically let go of their racist ideologies. Those people only accepted the Civil Rights social change with contempt and learned how to BEHAVE when laws changed. These old racist white supremacists, similar to insurgents after the collapse of the Iraqi Army in 2003, only laid low, kept their racist ideologies, and waited. During this wait, there was a refinement of white supremacy. White supremacy — racism in America — had to adapt, and it did.

Student at Montgomery High School protest intergration, 1963
Do you really think this young white male all of a sudden began loving MLK?
While the fellow did not get indignant and rant and rave (probably because he knew facts were on my side), many white men would do just that. While there’s very few white folks today that would boldly state “keep America white” or something, similar to this photo on the left, the facial expression is still the same. I cannot tell you how many times I’ve seen that same face in white men when I speak on white supremacy.

Instead of bluntly proclaiming the defense of white supremacy, white men nowaday seek to finesse the same ideological talking points. Similar to placing an assassin in a dress, these white men seek to soften up the image of white supremacist ideologies.

Being that white supremacists always preferred hoods and masks, nothing really has changed. Instead of preferring white hoods, they now prefer white lies. The white, Ku Klux Klan hood, while still existing in reality, has long been abandoned for a metaphorical one: double-speak, coded language, deflections and transference in discussion. The empty claims of colorblindness while still acknowledging and observing color differences. The tone policing. The clinging relationship to ancient symbolic relics of a racist past, all while denying racism modern day. This blatant dishonesty towards the state of nonwhites in America, serves as a new and improved white hood or mask to shield responsibility and accountability of the State of race relations. The common German is more accountable and observant of their collective crimes against Jews than the white American is towards their crimes against black and native peoples.

white-history-month-afrosapiophile1
Couldn’t all these white people be, technically, considered accessories to murder? Look at their faces.
This is what happened: When the Civil Rights laws passed, all these racist whites from these photos (and those who were never photographed, which is numbered to be far more) just sat back and never talked about it. They decided then and there to take their sins silently to their graves, all while letting their grandchildren lie or play stupid, pretending it never took place. I did it myself; wondered where my dad was in 1963. 1965. 1970. It’s a shock if white people never thought to think about where their parents were during all of this. Much like racism itself, I’m sure these whites NEVER talked about it. Never brought it up. I said it before… while we as black people are trying to discover our ancestors, white people are stuck trying to forget and bury their klancestors. Sure, there are a few white folks from this old era, telling their racist stories on their death beds. Trying to make amends, looking for that forgiveness bug that makes the black community so (in)famous.

For the most part, the majority went to hell hating people because of their skin color, which will be the same destination for modern day whites who share the same congruent disdain for a mass of people fighting for their humanity. As far as these old photos go, nothing has changed. Tomi Lahren, for example, practically gets paid to be the yelling angry white lady in the article’s face photograph. White people will continue to attempt to silence abolitionists like myself. Unfortunately for them, I’m not going anywhere.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
they got older and had little racist kids
Jul 04th 2017
Who are also now older with racist kids of their own.
Jul 04th 2017
That became police officers, judges, CEOs, generals, and senators
Jul 05th 2017
Hell, Id bet a lot of their kids have non-white spouses.
Jul 05th 2017
Like, just look at this motherfucker.
Jul 05th 2017
Most still are. The man in the soiling of old glory is still unrepentant...
Jul 05th 2017
Jul 05th 2017
the hate went to that boy in South Carolina who shot up the church
Jul 05th 2017
A good number of them changed.
Jul 05th 2017
lol.. no
Jul 05th 2017
Fuck everyone you love, cunt.
Jul 05th 2017
10:35am July 5th. I did not need coffee to get my day started.
Jul 05th 2017
Lol
Jul 05th 2017
You just getting started at 10:35am?
Jul 05th 2017
      depends on the day.
Jul 05th 2017
..and this is where some of that hate went
Jul 05th 2017
in all seriousness can you provide a link? I'd like to read that
Jul 05th 2017
      we have Trump but this nigga said a good number of them changed
Jul 05th 2017
      We are taking about individual ppl, fool.
Jul 05th 2017
           nigga calm the fuck down... lol
Jul 05th 2017
                Burn slow, ho.
Jul 05th 2017
      www.neveruary33rd.net
Jul 05th 2017
Not for going for the B.S.? LOL
Jul 05th 2017
*pats head*
Jul 05th 2017
I bet he dates white dudes who's parents where in those photos
Jul 05th 2017
I bet your kids will.
Jul 05th 2017
      i know yours won't
Jul 05th 2017
It's eas to think of
Jul 05th 2017
Jul 05th 2017
yup
Jul 05th 2017
"they got old" - Willie Long (c)
Jul 05th 2017
They pass it on to the young racist
Jul 05th 2017
there it is..
Jul 05th 2017
      Yeah
Jul 05th 2017
I've wondered this so many times. Become President for one.
Jul 05th 2017
I bet you will find a connection between lynch photo participants
Jul 05th 2017
They died and reincarnated as some of these okplyer
Jul 05th 2017
they work in government and law enforcement
Jul 05th 2017
I think they and a lot of their descendants call in to CSPAN
Jul 05th 2017
Hazel Bryan & Elizabeth Eckford, Little Rock, AR, Sept 1957
Jul 05th 2017
too bad so sad. Go help white people if you want to make amends
Jul 05th 2017
"Hazel was poised to vote for Obama in 2008..." (LOL)
Jul 05th 2017
      lmao.. but they changed!!!
Jul 05th 2017
Kiss my ass, legs:
Jul 05th 2017
lol.. nah.
Jul 05th 2017
Keep fucking with me, bitch
Jul 05th 2017
the fuck is this supposed to prove?
Jul 05th 2017
      1. That you are a fool.
Jul 05th 2017
           so angry. I bet you walk with your fist clinched
Jul 05th 2017
                no it's just you.
Jul 05th 2017
                     lmao...you sound unstable
Jul 05th 2017
                          and you a needling toddler.
Jul 05th 2017
                               how's Cali?
Jul 05th 2017
                                    Fuck u that's how it is.
Jul 05th 2017
                                         Thought it would be nicer. How about we call it a day?
Jul 05th 2017
                                              Suffer.
Jul 05th 2017
As I mentioned this guy is still a piece of garbage
Jul 05th 2017
Shit, I forgot OKP could make me think lol. Great post
Jul 05th 2017
The world skews/trends progressive
Jul 05th 2017
a single celled organism can evolve faster than the majority culture can
Jul 05th 2017
^^^
Jul 05th 2017
How are we here as a country in 2017 tho?
Jul 05th 2017
if J is talking since the dawn of time he fails to mention a few resets
Jul 05th 2017
      Well, when it comes to sports and entertainment it's true
Jul 05th 2017
      yeah I mean the graph doesn't linearly go up, and there are some big
Jul 05th 2017
           yeah I don't know. I feel it's all relative
Jul 05th 2017
not really
Jul 05th 2017
They made the young racist police who are doing the same shit
Jul 06th 2017

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
84997 posts
Tue Jul-04-17 09:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "they got older and had little racist kids"
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Tue Jul-04-17 11:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Who are also now older with racist kids of their own. "
In response to Reply # 1

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 06:42 AM

5. "That became police officers, judges, CEOs, generals, and senators "
In response to Reply # 2

To name a few

Binladen
Charter member
14123 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 11:03 AM

33. "Hell, Id bet a lot of their kids have non-white spouses. "
In response to Reply # 1

Errol Walton Barrow
Member since Jul 02nd 2002
6186 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 12:15 AM

3. "Like, just look at this motherfucker."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.usnews.com/cmsmedia/84/f6773d0f5d87e71c87186d74f72e4f/4295FE_DA_080405flag.jpg

That guy is probably still alive. What is that old cunt thinking? It should be "i was a goon for the Villian of America" but it probably isn't whats hes thinking.

These people were monsters, man.

-------
http://adevotedappraisal.tumblr.com - Essays, reviews, short stories and free writes on music, film and life around us.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 06:44 AM

6. "Most still are. The man in the soiling of old glory is still unrepentant..."
In response to Reply # 3

To most of them hating black people is as natural as breathing

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 12:03 PM

49. "#43"
In response to Reply # 3

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 12:45 AM

4. "the hate went to that boy in South Carolina who shot up the church"
In response to Reply # 0

passed on to those cops killing black folks and never being told they are wrong and with no laws being said to be broken its been open season and the hate is passed down.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 07:22 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "A good number of them changed."
In response to Reply # 0

Seeing themselves portrayed like that forever shocked them. They weren't even as mad as depicted - they got caught up in a moment. It had lasting effect. Made them re-think all of it. Especially when they had a chance to really look into the faces of the Black ppl they were railing against. They saw the humanity. And felt awful.

Not all. But a decent number of them changed. Too late.

fuck you.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79325 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 08:03 AM

9. "lol.. no"
In response to Reply # 7

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 09:04 AM

10. "Fuck everyone you love, cunt."
In response to Reply # 9

This is not an original question. It's been asked and answered. I drew that response from what I learned another time this was answered. You dumb bitch. Fuck u.

fuck you.

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 09:36 AM

11. "10:35am July 5th. I did not need coffee to get my day started. "
In response to Reply # 10

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 09:57 AM

13. "Lol"
In response to Reply # 11

Me neither, it seems.

fuck you.

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13546 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 10:09 AM

14. "You just getting started at 10:35am?"
In response to Reply # 11

I'm one of those "in early, out early" types. Right after 4pm I'm out the door, but that means I'm in around 8.

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 01:16 PM

58. "depends on the day. "
In response to Reply # 14

the latest start time at this gig is 10 and that means a leave time of 530 or 6

some days im in very early but normally if I come in early Im staying late

and just this past friday I was in from 10am to 12:30am

a few weeks before that my day was 10am to 4am

deadlines are a bitch.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

legsdiamond
79325 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 10:18 AM

15. "..and this is where some of that hate went"

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 10:59 AM

28. "in all seriousness can you provide a link? I'd like to read that"

legsdiamond
79325 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 11:01 AM

30. "we have Trump but this nigga said a good number of them changed"
In response to Reply # 28

white folks love niggas like him.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 11:12 AM

36. "We are taking about individual ppl, fool."
In response to Reply # 30
Wed Jul-05-17 11:16 AM by SoWhat

Not white ppl as a whole.

You dumb fuck.

A number of the real life living ppl in the pictures changed.

You're too stupid to know the difference between white ppl as a whole and individual actual ppl.

You are no better than them with your hateful dumb ass. Fuck you, bitch.
>
>

fuck you.

legsdiamond
79325 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 11:16 AM

39. "nigga calm the fuck down... lol"
In response to Reply # 36

you sound mad as shit and dumb as hell.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 11:18 AM

41. "Burn slow, ho."
In response to Reply # 39

fuck you.

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 12:54 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
56. "www.neveruary33rd.net"
In response to Reply # 28

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg

Just trying to share the world - www.JySbr.net

isaaaa
30565 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 12:53 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
54. "Not for going for the B.S.? LOL"
In response to Reply # 9

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 10:44 AM

22. "*pats head* "
In response to Reply # 7

bless your heart

legsdiamond
79325 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 10:45 AM

23. "I bet he dates white dudes who's parents where in those photos"
In response to Reply # 22

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 10:56 AM

27. "I bet your kids will."
In response to Reply # 23

fuck you.

legsdiamond
79325 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 11:00 AM

29. "i know yours won't"
In response to Reply # 27

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 10:55 AM

26. "It's eas to think of"
In response to Reply # 22

Omg who am I talking to? Lol

Why bother with you? Lol

fuck you.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts

31. "#28"
In response to Reply # 26

just because we tend to disagree doesn't mean you don't have pieces of the puzzle and I need as many pieces as I can get

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4542 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 02:27 PM

61. "yup"
In response to Reply # 7

legsdiamond
79325 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 08:02 AM

8. ""they got old" - Willie Long (c)"
In response to Reply # 0

Lurkmode
Member since May 07th 2011
5162 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 09:54 AM

12. "They pass it on to the young racist"
In response to Reply # 0

The follow up article

https://afrosapiophile.com/2017/02/25/white-apologies/

---------------------------
Signature

legsdiamond
79325 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 10:24 AM

16. "there it is.. "
In response to Reply # 12

but to hear some other brotha's tell it.. lol

Lurkmode
Member since May 07th 2011
5162 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 10:30 AM

20. "Yeah"
In response to Reply # 16

I don't know what they thinking.

---------------------------
Signature

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49333 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 10:27 AM

17. "I've wondered this so many times. Become President for one. "
In response to Reply # 0

I guess Fred Trump was lucky enough to not be in the picture.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/02/28/in-1927-donald-trumps-father-was-arrested-after-a-klan-riot-in-queens/?utm_term=.13eb6c511545

But I always wanted to track down the descendants of folks in those photos of lynchings and see what they are up to.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 10:43 AM

21. "I bet you will find a connection between lynch photo participants "
In response to Reply # 17

and the monsters you see in the CRM photos

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 10:28 AM

18. "They died and reincarnated as some of these okplyer "
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jul-05-17 10:29 AM by Musa

negros.

Self hating conservative sheriff clarke type.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 10:29 AM

19. "they work in government and law enforcement"
In response to Reply # 0

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 10:47 AM

24. "I think they and a lot of their descendants call in to CSPAN"
In response to Reply # 0

blaming Obama for dividing the country and black people for police brutality and racism

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22276 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 10:51 AM

25. "Hazel Bryan & Elizabeth Eckford, Little Rock, AR, Sept 1957 "
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/history_lesson/2011/10/elizabeth_and_hazel_what_happened_to_the_two_girls_in_the_most_f.html

This is adapted from David Margolick’s book, Elizabeth and Hazel: Two Women of Little Rock.

Who doesn’t know that face?

It’s the face of a white girl—she was only 15 years old, but everyone always thinks her older than that, and judges her accordingly—shouting at an equally familiar, iconic figure: a sole black school girl dressed immaculately in white, her mournful and frightened eyes hidden behind sunglasses, clutching her books and walking stoically away from Little Rock Central High School on Sept. 4, 1957—the date when, in many ways, desegregation first hit the South where it hurt.

It’s all in that white girl’s face, or so it has always appeared. In those raging eyes and clenched teeth is the hatred and contempt for an entire race, and the fury of a civilization fighting tenaciously to preserve its age-old, bigoted way of life. You know what the white girl’s saying, but you can’t print it all: commands to get out and go home —“home” being the place from which her forebears had been dragged in chains centuries earlier. That what that white girl was actually doing that day was more grabbing attention for herself than making any statement of deep conviction doesn’t really matter. Of anyone with that face, you simply assume the worst. You also assume she is beyond redemption, especially if, symbolically, she is more useful as is than further understood or evolved.

So how is it that 55 years later, it is this same white girl—even more than the black girl—who feels aggrieved, who considers herself the victim of intolerance, who has retreated into embittered sadness? How can it be that she, who was so prominent at the joyous 40th anniversary of the events in Little Rock, celebrated by President Bill Clinton among many others, was invisible at the 50th, and ever since?

The black girl is Elizabeth Eckford of the Little Rock Nine. Moments earlier, she’d tried to enter Central High School, only to be repeatedly rebuffed by soldiers from the Arkansas National Guard placed there by Gov. Orval Faubus. A mob baying at her heels, Elizabeth is making her way, fearfully but determinately, toward what she hoped would be the relative safety of the bus stop a block away.

The face belongs to Hazel Bryan. Hazel, the daughter of a disabled war veteran, was largely apolitical, even on matters of race; while sharing the prejudices of her parents, she cared far more about dancing and dating. Being in that crowd that morning, making a ruckus, out-shouting all of her friends, was a way of getting noticed, and far more exciting than going into class. She’d thought nothing would come of what she’d done, and nothing ever would have had she not been captured in mid-epithet by Will Counts, a young photographer for the Arkansas Democrat.

If anyone in the picture, which reverberated throughout the world that day and in history books ever since, should feel aggrieved, it’s of course Elizabeth Eckford. What Counts had captured both symbolized and anticipated the ordeals that Elizabeth, a girl of unusual sensitivity and intelligence, would face in her lifetime. First came the hellish year she and other black students endured inside Central, and then decades in which the trauma from that experience, plus prejudice, poverty, family tragedy, and her own demons kept her from realizing her extraordinary potential.

With enormous courage and resiliency, Elizabeth ultimately made a life for herself and has largely come to peace with her past. Paradoxically, it’s been Hazel, who has led a life of far greater financial and familial security, who now feels wounded and angry. Someone who once embodied racial intolerance feels victimized by another form of prejudice, in which good deeds go unappreciated, forgiveness cannot possibly be won, and public statements of contrition breed only resentment and ridicule.

Concerned over her sudden notoriety, only days after the infamous photograph appeared, Hazel’s parents transferred her from Central to a rural high school closer to home. She never spent a day in school with the Little Rock Nine and played no part in the horrors to which administrators, either lax or actually sympathetic to a small group of segregationist troublemakers, allowed them to be subjected. And she left her new school at 17, got married, and began a family.

But Hazel Bryan Massery was curious, and reflective. Tuning in her primitive Philco with the rabbit ears her father had bought her, she heard the speeches of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and saw those black protesters getting hot coffee and ketchup poured on their heads at segregated lunch counters or being routed by fire hoses and German shepherds. Such scenes brought home to her the reality of racial hatred, and of her own small but conspicuous contribution to it. One day, she realized, her children would learn that that snarling girl in their history books was their mother. She realized she had an account to settle.

Sometime in 1962 or 1963—no cameras recorded the scene, and she didn’t mark anything down—Hazel, sitting in the trailer in rural Little Rock in which she and her family now lived, picked up the Little Rock directory, and looked under “Eckford.” Then, without telling her husband or pastor or anyone else, she dialed the number. Between sobs, she told Elizabeth that she was that girl, and how sorry she was. Elizabeth was gracious. The conversation lasted a minute, if that. In the South, in the ’60s, how much more did a white girl and a black girl have to say to one another?

Still, Hazel never stopped thinking about the picture and making amends for it. She severed what had been her ironclad ties to an intolerant church. She taught mothering skills to unmarried black women, and took underprivileged black teenagers on field trips. She frequented the black history section at the local Barnes & Noble, buying books by Cornel West and Shelby Steele and the companion volume to Eyes on the Prize. She’d argue with her mother on racial topics, defending relatives who’d intermarried.

Secretly, Hazel always hoped some reporter would track her down and write about how she’d changed. But it didn’t happen on its own, and she did nothing to make it happen. Instead, again and again, there was the picture. Anniversary after anniversary, Martin Luther King Day after Martin Luther King Day, Black History Month after Black History Month, it just kept popping up. The world of race relations was changing, but to the world, she never did.

Finally, on the 40th anniversary of Central’s desegregation in 1997, Will Counts returned to Little Rock and arranged for Elizabeth and Hazel to pose for him again. Hazel was thrilled, Elizabeth, curious. Their first meeting was predictably awkward, but the new picture, showing the two women smiling in front of Central, revealed only the barest hint of that. It all but took over the next day’s Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, and very nearly upstaged President Clinton’s speech the next day, in which he worked in a reference to them both. Soon, a poster-sized version of the picture was available: “Reconciliation,” it said. Everyone rejoiced; Thanks to Elizabeth and Hazel, Little Rock, maligned for 40 years, bathed in instant absolution.

Then, quietly, Elizabeth and Hazel discovered something quite miraculous: They actually liked each other. For all their differences—Elizabeth was better-read, Hazel’s life far better-balanced—they shared a good deal. Both were introspective, skeptical, a bit isolated; neither fit in anywhere, including in their own families. They visited one another’s homes, took trips together, spoke to schools and civic groups. In the process, Hazel helped pull Elizabeth out of her shell, then to blossom. Unemployed, on mental health disability for years, Elizabeth soon returned to work, as a probation officer for a local judge. Two years after they’d first met, the pair even appeared on Oprah.

Winfrey hadn’t bothered hiding her incredulity, even disdain, that day: Of all people, these two were now friends? But as rude as both felt her to have been, she’d been on to something. The improbable relationship had already begun to unravel.

A student of, and stickler for, history, Elizabeth looked for—and, she thought, spotted—holes in Hazel’s story. How, for instance, could Hazel have undertaken something so cruel so casually, then remembered so little about it afterward? And why, after all these years, did she absolve her parents from any blame? At their joint appearances, Elizabeth could treat Hazel impatiently, peremptorily. Meantime, others in the Little Rock Nine either shunned Hazel or complained of her presence at various commemorations.

But resentment came as well from whites, particularly whites who’d attended Central, particularly those from better families, who’d thought that, even by always looking the other way, they’d done absolutely nothing wrong during those dark days and, truth be told, considered Hazel and her ilk “white trash.” Forty years earlier she’d given them all a black eye; now, she was back, more conspicuous, and embarrassing, than ever. At a reunion she foolishly, or naively, attended, she felt their cold shoulder, and could hear their snickers. None of them had ever apologized for anything they’d done or not done, and, as far as Hazel could tell, they’d been none the worse for their silence.

Ultimately, it grew too much for Hazel. She cut off ties with Elizabeth—for her, Sept. 11, 2011, marked another anniversary: 10 years had passed since they’d last spoken—and stopped making public appearances with her. Her interviews with me—granted only with great reluctance—will, she says, be her last. When I asked the two women to pose together one last time (Elizabeth turned 70 last Tuesday; Hazel will in January) Elizabeth agreed; Hazel would not. Hazel was poised to vote for Obama in 2008; after all, even her own mother did. But so deep was her hurt that she found some excuse not to.

So the famous photograph of 1957 takes on additional meaning: the continuing chasm between the races and the great difficulty, even among people of good will, to pull off real racial reconciliation. But shuttling back and forth between them, I could see that for all their harsh words—over the past decade, they’ve only dug in their heels—they still missed one another. Each, I noticed, teared up at references to the other. Perhaps, when no one is looking—or taking any pictures—they’ll yet come together again. And if they can, maybe, so too, can we.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 11:13 AM

37. "too bad so sad. Go help white people if you want to make amends "
In response to Reply # 25

how easy it is to go to into black communities and "save" them.

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13546 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 11:38 AM

42. ""Hazel was poised to vote for Obama in 2008..." (LOL)"
In response to Reply # 25

lol. Y'all already know it didn't happen.

"Hazel was poised to vote for Obama in 2008; after all, even her own mother did. But so deep was her hurt that she found some excuse not to."

legsdiamond
79325 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 11:57 AM

46. "lmao.. but they changed!!!"
In response to Reply # 42

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts

32. "Kiss my ass, legs:"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/09/the-little-rock-nine/380676/

fuck you.

legsdiamond
79325 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 11:05 AM

34. "lol.. nah. "
In response to Reply # 32

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 11:06 AM

35. "Keep fucking with me, bitch"
In response to Reply # 0

http://inamerica.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/22/little-rock-nine-elizabeth-hazel-margolick/

fuck you.

legsdiamond
79325 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 11:15 AM

38. "the fuck is this supposed to prove? "
In response to Reply # 35

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 11:18 AM

40. "1. That you are a fool."
In response to Reply # 38

2. It answers the question in the OP based on real facts and not baseless speculation.

3. It proves you're stupid.

4. Kiss the blackest part of my ass. Bitch.

fuck you.

legsdiamond
79325 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 11:48 AM

44. "so angry. I bet you walk with your fist clinched "
In response to Reply # 40

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 11:55 AM

45. "no it's just you."
In response to Reply # 44

i fucking hate you. and all i have for you is vitriol.

you being the bitch you are you enjoy this shit.

and i have no problem giving it to you.

fuck you.

legsdiamond
79325 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 11:58 AM

47. "lmao...you sound unstable"
In response to Reply # 45

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 12:01 PM

48. "and you a needling toddler."
In response to Reply # 47

i have no problem giving you the vitriol you want.

you scumbag.

no problem.

i'll do it until i'm bored.

you like it b/c you're just that stupid. you think this bothers me. it doesn't. i made up my mind about you long ago and you've done nothing to change it. you weren't shit then and you ain't shit now. you fucking piece of shit.

fuck you.

legsdiamond
79325 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 12:04 PM

50. "how's Cali?"
In response to Reply # 48

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 12:20 PM

51. "Fuck u that's how it is."
In response to Reply # 50

fuck you.

legsdiamond
79325 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 12:23 PM

52. "Thought it would be nicer. How about we call it a day? "
In response to Reply # 51

Peace queen

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 12:54 PM

55. "Suffer."
In response to Reply # 52

fuck you.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 11:43 AM

43. "As I mentioned this guy is still a piece of garbage "
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.vikilist.com/images/upload/5Lril-s70BU-Abg2E-tuxpK-KYpHg-HKyw9.jpg

A labor foreman now living in Maine, Rakes vividly recalls the “blind anger” that motivated him—anger aimed, he says, at the urban policies that were ruining the close-knit South Boston neighborhood where he’d grown up. “When the busing started, it was, ‘You can’t have half your friends’—that’s the way it was put towards us,” Rakes says. “They took half the guys and girls I grew up with and said, ‘You’re going to school on the other side of town.’ Nobody understood it at 15.”

The day he borrowed his family’s flag for the demonstration, Rakes says, he was simmering with two years of pent-up frustration. Another set of protesters threw debris and rocks at his group, he adds, and that “sent everybody over the edge....It kind of exploded at that moment.”

Rakes’ actions at City Hall Plaza led to a conviction for assault with a deadly weapon and a two-year suspended sentence. “The picture—it says what it says, but it doesn’t tell the whole story,” he says. “You know, there’s nothing I can do about it. I just move on in my life.”

From Wikipedia
In 1983 the Boston police issued a warrant alleging that Rakes had beaten to death the brother of his girlfriend. He fled prosecution, but returned in 1988 after the murder charge was dropped. Rakes carried the stigma of being known as "the flag kid", but eventually turned his life around, getting married and having a family while laboring as a construction worker and later in hazardous waste.

yeah sounds like he really turned things around lol.

isaaaa
30565 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 12:51 PM

53. "Shit, I forgot OKP could make me think lol. Great post"
In response to Reply # 0

J_Stew
Member since Jul 06th 2002
22363 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 01:02 PM

57. "The world skews/trends progressive"
In response to Reply # 0

If it didn't we wouldn't be having this exchange of messages over the internet. For the most part, people don't change, at least en masse. The world gets better because people with better ideas/beliefs are born into it and society drags the needle up on what is considered acceptable/appropriate behavior.

If that dude was an adult in the 1850's he would have been pro-slavery, if he was an adult around 1915 he would have been against women's right to vote, if he was an adult in the civil rights era, he would have been for holding onto segregationist policies, etc. Probably would have been herding Jews into ovens if he was around in Nazi Germany.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 01:54 PM

59. "a single celled organism can evolve faster than the majority culture can"
In response to Reply # 57

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4542 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 02:26 PM

60. "^^^"

legsdiamond
79325 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 02:41 PM

62. "How are we here as a country in 2017 tho? "

and by here I mean Trump and both branches in GOP control and a lot of people defending there backwards ideology.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 02:47 PM

63. "if J is talking since the dawn of time he fails to mention a few resets"
In response to Reply # 62

in the form of natural(?) disasters that tend to thin the population

legsdiamond
79325 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 03:02 PM

64. "Well, when it comes to sports and entertainment it's true"
In response to Reply # 63

but I think we haven't come that far as a whole.

most White colleges still have a ton of racism on campus even tho they are being called liberal indoctrination camps by the right.

Let's not even start about how fans love the team but find ways to shit on the black players. I'm on a Steeler chat site and they HATED when Tomlin was hired. Hell, he is still hated by half the city.

I think the saying is true about people becoming more conservative as they get older. Half those hippies from the 60's have switched sides.

J_Stew
Member since Jul 06th 2002
22363 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 05:27 PM

66. "yeah I mean the graph doesn't linearly go up, and there are some big"
In response to Reply # 63

downswings (the dark ages, catholicism, etc) where progress is halted and even reversed. Life sucks for most people on the planet, but you probably wouldn't want to go live at any time in the past unless you were one of the ruling class, or lived in an ancient society that was more just.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 06:07 PM

67. "yeah I don't know. I feel it's all relative "
In response to Reply # 66

Rjcc
Charter member
94932 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 03:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
65. "not really"

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

exactopposite
Member since Aug 21st 2002
15132 posts
Thu Jul-06-17 11:51 PM

68. "They made the young racist police who are doing the same shit"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby General Discussion topic #13170926 Previous topic | Next topic