Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13134002

Subject: "Why are some African Americans so threatened by black Brits? (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
Firecracker
Member since Feb 20th 2007
1892 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 02:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Why are some African Americans so threatened by black Brits? (swipe)"
Fri Mar-10-17 02:02 PM by Firecracker

Hmmmm

Swipe:

Unpacking the debate sparked by Samuel L. Jackson, John Boyega and Black Twitter as to whether black Brits are really stealing the culture and jobs of African Americans

The claim that black Brits have been appropriating African American culture and picking up their acting jobs along the way has been causing us some consternation. Not least because, Samuel L Jackson, one of our faves, sparked the storm when critiquing Jordan Peele’s white supremacy-fuelled thriller Get Out. “There are a lot of black British actors in these movies,” Jackson told New York radio station Hot 97 earlier this week. “I tend to wonder what Get Out would have been with an American brother who really feels that.”

Even before this a wealth of Twitter threads suggested that the relationship between African American’s and the diaspora were not as peaceful as we’d like to believe. “Diasporically, there is a current of anti-African American bias”, tweeted American writer Chaédria LaBouvier (who wrote an excellent piece about Basquiat for us recently). She lived in Europe for six months last summer and explained that she had experienced a reluctance from black Brits to acknowledge the impact African American culture has had on the wider world. “People will absolutely say that African American’s don’t have culture,” she said – adding that “fam” was originally an “African American Vernacular English” phrase that was appropriated by black, Multicultural London English-speaking Brits. Ok, fam...

In response to these conflicts, it was angrily suggested that not only do African Americans have something of a monopoly on how black people are perceived and portrayed in the western world which, as put by Buzzfeed writer Bim Adewunmi, “flattens and reduces other blacknesses”, but also that as an ethnicity we shouldn’t be seeking out squabbles. Star Wars actor John Boyega, in response to Jackson’s comments, for instance, called the situation a “stupid ass conflict we don't have time for”. We’re inclined to agree, but at the same time acknowledging our differences and engaging in the ways which we can support each other as a loose unit isn’t necessarily a bad thing. And this debate, as trivial as it may seem, could be an opportunity to do that.

As Adewumni suggested, what Samuel L. Jackson and the majority of American black Twitter aren’t acknowledging is the hypervisibility of African Americans in the diaspora. Visibility doesn’t mean they are privileged in any sense of the word, but their culture is far more understood since the world looks at the black experience through a predominantly American lens. It is gladly sustained by a film industry where black British actors, like Boyega, are treated as if their Britishness detracts from their blackness. They are othered by their own tongue and often lose their accents in Hollywood movies. In the few film narratives that do focus on black people, those of us outside the African American diaspora are almost always invisible.

Of course, this is in part a natural consequence to African American’s proximity to the global hub of cinema. And it isn’t hard to see why black actors, like actors from all over the world, are flocking from the UK to Hollywood. Other than the fact that American films are extremely lucrative, it’s been found that there are limited options at home for black actors. Research by the British Film Institute showed that in the last 10 years, only 13 per cent of films had a black actor in a leading role, and six in 10 films had no named black characters at all. It also found that there is a frustrating lack of variety of the types of black people on UK screens – they’re more likely to appear in crime movies than any other genre. It makes sense then that many actors of colour feel like they have to cross the Atlantic to pursue their careers.

As a former black power activist that once held Martin Luther King’s father hostage to make space for black academics, Jackson is fully aware of the struggle for representation. By his own admission, his pursuit of acting was a way of channelling his political ambitions, changing opinions by taking roles in mainstream cinema. Many have pointed out that actors like him paved the way for increased diversity in Hollywood and black Brits are reaping the benefits of the Americans that suffered before them. However, Jackson and his cohort should not chastise black Brits for taking the opportunities on offer, rather they should be angry at a system that provides so few roles that it leaves a whole race of people begging for scraps. Perhaps a US actor would have a different perspective on how to portray the protagonist in Get Out, or Martin Luther King in Selma – our experiences are not always the same – but they deserve to yield the same influence Jackson dreamed of at the beginning of his career.

One of the most frustrating things about this whole debate is how little the African Americans who are weighing in on black Britishness know about our history and culture. Even the UK school curriculum teaches black British children more about African American history than their own. Our knowledge of the slave trade barely touches on Britain’s uniquely shameful involvement, and the continued erasure of England’s own fight for civil rights is deplorable. We learn about the Ku Klux Klan, segregation and the American Civil Rights movement in detail, only to hear about the “no dogs, no Irish, no black” signs hung on British shopfronts from our grandparents. Our history encompasses beatings at the hands of the Teddy Boys and skinheads, the birth of black churches in response to being shunned by white congregations, parties in the front room of our homes for fear of getting into trouble in the mainstream pubs and clubs, and the many race riots that happened throughout the 70s and 80s due to racial tension. And yet it is mostly reduced to an oral history, seemingly unworthy of being valued by our education system and, up until recently, rarely seen on TV.

There’s no denying how influential African American culture has been on black Brits. In the absence of black British sitcoms, programmes like The Cosby Show and comedians like Richard Pryor and the works of Spike Lee were the only reflection of blackness that British children were given and they could relate because of the shared experience of racism and feeling of being “other”. The idea that we are infringing and appropriating it is misinformed, creating an oppression Olympics where there needn’t be one. That’s why it’s disappointing that Azealia Banks is comfortable labelling grime and UK rap a “disgrace”, considering both have become important ways of telling our own narratives in a distinctly British style. Americans may need to bite their tongue when weighing in on black British culture, our identity is a nuanced, personal thing – it isn’t yours to undermine.

When fighting for racial equality, it does nothing to undermine the struggle of others who have stood in solidarity with you. People are starting to realise that for the feminist movement to be successful, it needs to be intersectional, yet in the fight against racism, some African American’s have opted to create division within the diaspora. Our respective residences should not divorce us from our common blackness. African American’s need not labour under the misapprehension that because they haven’t seen us killed by our own police, or hosed down in the streets while campaigning for rights that it has never happened. It’s just that unlike them the story of our unique struggle remains largely unheard. Rather than argue over whose struggle is worse, the anger needs to be aimed at creating spaces for all of us in the entertainment industry. And in the meantime, we can still be a part of the wider narrative by taking roles that highlight the racism we all face.

http://www.dazeddigital.com/artsandculture/article/35089/1/why-african-americans-threatened-by-black-brits-samuel-l-jackson-get-out

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
lol..who/where are these Black people that are threatened ??
Mar 10th 2017
sound like a hollywood problem
Mar 10th 2017
The thing with that is that white American actors....
Mar 10th 2017
It's just there's no roles for em in the UK
Mar 10th 2017
Brit Actors - Black & White
Mar 10th 2017
This is something I've wondered about with all of Hollywood
Mar 10th 2017
Stringer Bell bri'ish tho
Mar 10th 2017
      That shit shocked me...
Mar 10th 2017
Reason is real or perceived scarcity, like most xenophobia backlash
Mar 10th 2017
Who in Moonlight was bad?
Mar 10th 2017
Nobody?
Mar 10th 2017
uh. SA actors mad about losing a SA role
Mar 10th 2017
      Fair enough on this point:
Mar 11th 2017
RE: Reason is real or perceived scarcity, like most xenophobia backlash
Mar 10th 2017
      yeah, i love naomie and loved moonlight
Mar 10th 2017
           Oh, the mom? Didn't know she was British
Mar 10th 2017
                she's Moneypenny in the Bond films
Mar 10th 2017
                     Oh, haven't seen it
Mar 11th 2017
Black Americans just don't like folks on that "Everybody wants to be a.....
Mar 10th 2017
I not familiar with the lead actor in GET OUT
Mar 10th 2017
wait, the dude in Get Out is British?
Mar 10th 2017
Beans and Mash
Mar 10th 2017
Sam Jack's been a consistent champ for young Black Amercian actors...
Mar 10th 2017
Especially when the film deals with racism in America
Mar 10th 2017
I would make the argument about fighting for scraps
Mar 10th 2017
I think this is essentially "outsourcing", Hollywood-style
Mar 10th 2017
I'm just hear to add: Studios don't care where the actor is from.
Mar 10th 2017
Unless they from the Americas it's not the same.experience
Mar 10th 2017
That's why they call it acting.
Mar 10th 2017
      You can't be that dense?
Mar 10th 2017
           Can you?
Mar 10th 2017
           he's right, Hopkins isnt a serial killer, Gyllenhal isnt gay, DeNiro isn...
Mar 10th 2017
funny, i was just talking about this.
Mar 10th 2017
because wtf cares? Stupid article and that's no dis to the poster
Mar 10th 2017
Sam Jack also said British actors tend to be cheaper than American ones
Mar 10th 2017
because they go to acting school and do plays
Mar 10th 2017
^^^^^
Mar 11th 2017
from rappers taken all the jobs to now Black Brits Oh Lawd!!!!
Mar 11th 2017
This idea that actors need2 have same background as characters is
Mar 11th 2017
RE: This idea that actors need2 have same background as characters is
Mar 11th 2017
I doubt most actors or studios are in it for the art these days
Mar 11th 2017

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 02:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "lol..who/where are these Black people that are threatened ??"
In response to Reply # 0

now i'll go read that long ass article to see if my question is answered .

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85075 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 02:17 PM

2. "sound like a hollywood problem"
In response to Reply # 0

white british people taking a bunch of the good white man roles too. maybe brits just get better acting training.

<--- Big Baller World Order

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 06:07 PM

29. "The thing with that is that white American actors...."
In response to Reply # 2

...aren't starving for parts compared to Black American actors. There's more room at the table for white Brits and white Americans compared to Black Americans and black Brits.

Since 1976

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 02:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "It's just there's no roles for em in the UK"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Mar-10-17 02:30 PM by BigReg

Its nuts to even type it out, but as #oscarsowhite as it can be, for actors of color Hollywood is basically it because as kumbaya as they want to portray overseas they give their people of color NO shine, not even as Gangmember #3

Even homie from The Night Of spoke on it

http://www.spin.com/2017/03/riz-ahmed-parliament-diversity-isis/

If you're a thandie newton you basically GOTTA go to Hollywood (like Riz did) to get to the next level and since roles are basically written by color (although there's slow movement away from this direction)..you're taking someone else's slot.

My beef is the fact that we hating on a black man or woman getting a job as if the niggas overseas is all teas and crumpets and don't deal with being marginalized, fucked with the police, etc.

Hell, in France them niggas been rioting because the cops there pulled a good old 'punctured colon with a nightstick' like Louima in New York.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/06/french-police-brutality-in-spotlight-again-after-officer-charged-with

Shit isn't sweet overseas, I ain't hating on no niggas getting a job, even if they got an accent.

Hamsterline
Charter member
4004 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 02:31 PM

4. "Brit Actors - Black & White"
In response to Reply # 0

are hustlers. They will take any gig they can. American actors have been '...I don't do TV, just film' or 'I don't do film, just theatre'. Brits are 'I do ALL that shit, just give me a job'.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79605 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 03:01 PM

5. "This is something I've wondered about with all of Hollywood"
In response to Reply # 0

A lot of Canadian, Aussie, UK actors and host on late night TV.

I alsways wondered if it was to save on taxes or some other angle.

When it comes to Black actors tho, I think it's that damn accent. They sound polished.

Or maybe they just don't want to give american niggas new money

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Firecracker
1892 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 03:07 PM

7. "Stringer Bell bri'ish tho"
In response to Reply # 5

legsdiamond
79605 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 03:33 PM

14. "That shit shocked me... "
In response to Reply # 7

Pretty much reinforced my conspiracy that Hollywood doesn't like Americans.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 03:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Reason is real or perceived scarcity, like most xenophobia backlash"
In response to Reply # 0

This falls into xenophobia lite tho

I will say that

1) there is an argument to be made of american blacks having a unique story, and so yea, maybe something is lost in some roles done by non US actors

2)sis in moonlight was bad. And the accent was worse.

3) nobody was trippin when Jennifer mofo Hudson played Winnie mofo Mandela

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

Firecracker
1892 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 03:09 PM

8. "Who in Moonlight was bad?"
In response to Reply # 6

I thought everyone in Moonlight was fye

ESPECIALLY the big homie J-Mon

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 03:15 PM

11. "Nobody?"
In response to Reply # 6

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni1269463/
http://www.channel24.co.za/News/Local/SA-actors-reject-Hudson-20091207-2

>3) nobody was trippin when Jennifer mofo Hudson played Winnie
>mofo Mandela

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 06:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
30. "uh. SA actors mad about losing a SA role"
In response to Reply # 11

The point is,unless Sam jax is speaking out on American actors paying African roles, its kinda disingenuous

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

flipnile
13575 posts
Sat Mar-11-17 03:24 PM

41. "Fair enough on this point:"
In response to Reply # 30
Sat Mar-11-17 03:24 PM by flipnile

>unless Sam jax is speaking out on American actors
>paying African roles, its kinda disingenuous

I think it's wack when American actors practice and accent an play a non-American black character when the casting agents could have done a little more work and actually found someone that at least sounds authentic.

Hamsterline
Charter member
4004 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 03:15 PM

12. "RE: Reason is real or perceived scarcity, like most xenophobia backlash"
In response to Reply # 6

Her accent was AWFUL. But toward the end of the movie, it wasn't as distracting.

shamus
Member since Oct 18th 2004
4465 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 03:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "yeah, i love naomie and loved moonlight"
In response to Reply # 12

but, i agree

--
the untold want by life and land ne'er granted
now voyager sail thou forth to seek and find

Firecracker
1892 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 04:42 PM

21. "Oh, the mom? Didn't know she was British"
In response to Reply # 13

And I thought she was aiiiight

rdhull
Charter member
33137 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 05:19 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
26. "she's Moneypenny in the Bond films"
In response to Reply # 21

>
>And I thought she was aiiiight
>
>

Firecracker
1892 posts
Sat Mar-11-17 08:32 AM

38. "Oh, haven't seen it"
In response to Reply # 26

Cool

>>RE: she's Moneypenny in the Bond films

>>And I thought she was aiiiight
>>
>>
>

flipnile
13575 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 03:09 PM

9. "Black Americans just don't like folks on that "Everybody wants to be a....."
In response to Reply # 0

Ok, I have no idea what all (or even most) Black Americans actually like, so it's just MY opinion in this post.

That "Oh, I'm not one of *them*" mentality generally irks the fuck outta Black folks. (not saying this is what's going on here, but it's easy to get that perception when someone makes sure to let everyone know that they aren't like you). Black Americans put in a lot of work to improve our lot in this country, with a lot of blood, sweat and tears in-between. Saying shit like this:

>As Adewumni suggested, what Samuel L. Jackson and the majority of
>American black Twitter aren’t acknowledging is the hypervisibility
>of African Americans in the diaspora. Visibility doesn’t mean they
>are privileged in any sense of the word, but their culture is far
>more understood since the world looks at the black experience
>through a predominantly American lens. It is gladly sustained by a
>film industry where black British actors, like Boyega, are treated
>as if their Britishness detracts from their blackness. They are
>othered by their own tongue and often lose their accents in
>Hollywood movies. In the few film narratives that do focus on black
>people, those of us outside the African American diaspora are almost
>always invisible.

Tells me the author doesn't get it. That "hypervisibility" wasn't and isn't free, and the reason that their "Britishness detracts from their blackness" is because they are playing BLACK AMERICAN characters, and Black Americans don't talk with British accents. Imagine how dumb it would be if Stringer Bell talked like some bloke from South London? FOH.

It's like Black Americans should, for some unknown reason, be humble about the gains that we've had to fight tooth-and-nail for since we been here.

...and who is threatened or even has a problem with black british actors anyway? Seems like a strawman, like Sam Jack was wondering how much more "into" the role an AA actor would be, because the AA actor probably experienced the some of the racial situations that are commonplace in America first-hand.

legsdiamond
79605 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 03:39 PM

15. "I not familiar with the lead actor in GET OUT"
In response to Reply # 9

but if I was a Black American actor I would feel threatened. Type of job that can change your film career.

rdhull
Charter member
33137 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 03:12 PM

10. "wait, the dude in Get Out is British?"
In response to Reply # 0

legsdiamond
79605 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 03:42 PM

16. "Beans and Mash"
In response to Reply # 10

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 03:53 PM

17. "Sam Jack's been a consistent champ for young Black Amercian actors..."
In response to Reply # 0

...who go to acting classes and bust their asses on the grind. And he's been consistently against instances when young Black American actors getting passed over for parts that he believes that they should be playing.

This goes back to him talking trashing about 50 Cent re: the GRDOT movie. He said the studio approached him about playing a role in the movie, and he turned them down because 1) He thought the studio was just using him to add "legitimacy" to the movie and 2) He didn't like the idea of rappers with no acting training coming in and taking roles that other Black American actors could be getting.

I see this as a natural outgrowth of Sam's beliefs: Why should studios have Black British actors Americans when there are so many Black American actors out there.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

legsdiamond
79605 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 04:15 PM

20. "Especially when the film deals with racism in America"
In response to Reply # 17

One of the first things Peele said when interviewed about the actor was dude could cry on command.

I think he prolly got the role based on that since it's used so much in the promos.

Seems like most of the acting was "yo, wtf" while looking at white people.

Bluebear
Member since Apr 06th 2003
3757 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 04:07 PM

18. "I would make the argument about fighting for scraps"
In response to Reply # 0

but when you need those scraps to feed your family...

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10884 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 04:13 PM

19. "I think this is essentially "outsourcing", Hollywood-style"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Mar-10-17 04:27 PM by Cocobrotha2

Black brits are indistinguishable from African Americans once they overcome the accent. So it's an easy substitution if the script actually calls for a black person.

Add to that a lack of name recognition in the US and an actor motivated to break into the American media and you can probably get the same talent level for less.

The producers and casting directors don't give a damn about most of what the original article is talking about.

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 04:46 PM

22. "I'm just hear to add: Studios don't care where the actor is from. "
In response to Reply # 0

Unless they're throwing in a Chinese name to appease our new cinematic overlords.

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 04:52 PM

23. "Unless they from the Americas it's not the same.experience"
In response to Reply # 0

Nigerian, Ghanaian etx folk from the continent actually are immigrants their experience has some similarities but the nuances make all the difference. Many "Black" brits that aint from the colonies in the Americas chose to assimilate hence the euro first names and indigenous last that may seem minor but it's just the tip of the iceburg and speaks volumes.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 05:05 PM

24. "That's why they call it acting. "
In response to Reply # 23

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 05:10 PM

25. "You can't be that dense? "
In response to Reply # 24

Or maybe so that's not even the point good try at deflecting tho.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 05:42 PM

28. "Can you?"
In response to Reply # 25

rdhull
Charter member
33137 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 06:18 PM

31. "he's right, Hopkins isnt a serial killer, Gyllenhal isnt gay, DeNiro isn..."
In response to Reply # 25
Fri Mar-10-17 06:18 PM by rdhull

>Or maybe so that's not even the point good try at deflecting
>tho.

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 05:34 PM

27. "funny, i was just talking about this. "
In response to Reply # 0

but its not just black people

seems like australians are also taking a lot of spots as well.

v. interesting.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 07:41 PM

32. "because wtf cares? Stupid article and that's no dis to the poster"
In response to Reply # 0

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14016 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 08:01 PM

33. "Sam Jack also said British actors tend to be cheaper than American ones"
In response to Reply # 0

when he was asked on Hot 97.
I only skimmed the article here due to
time, but I think that's worth mentioning
here. The interview is on YouTube.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Fri Mar-10-17 08:06 PM

34. "because they go to acting school and do plays "
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Mar-10-17 08:09 PM by Heinz

Americans, black, white, brown, etc don't do this as much anymore. They try to fast track by taking classes here and there. Where as the really good North American actors also have similar backgrounds studying the art and doings broadway plays along the way. The whole mentality of just looking good, modelling, pop star fame, has people trying to skip learning the art because hollywood has been getting away with it but I think it has caught up with Hollywood as this new generation doesn't have their the same type of movie stars we had growing up

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Sat Mar-11-17 03:07 AM

36. "^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 34

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sat Mar-11-17 12:53 AM

35. "from rappers taken all the jobs to now Black Brits Oh Lawd!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

always something and lets be real Being a Black Actor in Hollywood is you just having to hang on to what you got period and built on it, we already know that White folks in Hollywood gonna do what they gonna do.

if Seal or Dizzy Rascall or Slick Rick could act they would get roles as well.
still gotta battle.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sat Mar-11-17 07:40 AM

37. "This idea that actors need2 have same background as characters is "
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Mar-11-17 07:41 AM by Jon

artistically bankrupt and it's hard to respect the creative mind of someone who thinks this way. It's weak as hell and shows an utter lack of imagination or appreciation of the concept of acting.

Hamsterline
Charter member
4004 posts
Sat Mar-11-17 08:56 AM

39. "RE: This idea that actors need2 have same background as characters is "
In response to Reply # 37

All of this!

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Sat Mar-11-17 01:55 PM

40. "I doubt most actors or studios are in it for the art these days "
In response to Reply # 37

Lobby General Discussion topic #13134002 Previous topic | Next topic