Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13112998

Subject: "Akai announces the MPC Live & X today both standalone. We copping?" Previous topic | Next topic
SP1200
Charter member
20101 posts
Mon Jan-09-17 03:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Akai announces the MPC Live & X today both standalone. We copping?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-pzQuI3FO8

http://www.okayplayer.com/news/heres-a-first-look-at-akais-two-new-standalone-mpcs.html

Yea or Nay and why?

http://i54.tinypic.com/2j51hj4.jpg

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Meh... unless they have the ability to load VSTs I'll stick with my 1k
Jan 09th 2017
You can use the Live in controller mode in the 2.0 software.
Jan 09th 2017
      Looks like I a still need a computer for the VSTs
Jan 12th 2017
           You can find a Fantom XR or Motif ES Rack for about $450
Jan 12th 2017
Most likely copping the Live at some point
Jan 09th 2017
Does the Kronos have a sequencer?
Jan 09th 2017
      It does but it's a pain in the ass IMO.
Jan 09th 2017
           Most of the sequencers built in to workstation keyboards
Jan 09th 2017
                Yeah but Korg put in a piano roll in the M3 and the Krome
Jan 09th 2017
                     Yep - the keyboard player in a cover band I work with sometimes
Jan 10th 2017
                          I was sold by the Herbie Hancock and George Duke Rhodes
Jan 10th 2017
RE: Akai announces the MPC Live & X today both standalone. We copping?
Jan 09th 2017
^
Jan 09th 2017
      Well, the selling point of the Live/X is standalone functionality
Jan 09th 2017
      RE: ^
Jan 09th 2017
the workflow display just SOLD me the Live on this demo video
Jan 09th 2017
this might be the move...
Jan 09th 2017
Benefits of this over, say, Maschine?
Jan 10th 2017
Most obvious thing is that you don't need a laptop
Jan 10th 2017
1. This iteration is a full blown DAW with audio tracks.
Jan 10th 2017
nice breakdown, thx.
Jan 10th 2017
thanks for the breakdown.
Jan 10th 2017
^^on point^^
Jan 11th 2017
Jan 10th 2017
looks cool...I'll pass though...never owned/used an MPC...
Jan 10th 2017
The sequencer on MPCs is their killer feature, IMHO
Jan 10th 2017
RE: The sequencer on MPCs is their killer feature, IMHO
Jan 10th 2017
RE: looks cool...I'll pass though...never owned/used an MPC...
Jan 12th 2017
      Yup
Jan 17th 2017
I knew something was up when no one was selling the Ren.
Jan 10th 2017
who saw the reports about technics being 'rebranded' at ~$3k+ doe
Jan 10th 2017
technics showed hip-hop NO love
Jan 10th 2017
owned by panasonic
Jan 10th 2017
Yup. It's crazy.
Jan 17th 2017
New video with more details on MPC Live from Sonic State:
Jan 16th 2017
RE: New video with more details on MPC Live from Sonic State:
Jan 17th 2017
live looks really dope.
Jan 17th 2017
Real talk.
Jan 18th 2017

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13565 posts
Mon Jan-09-17 03:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Meh... unless they have the ability to load VSTs I'll stick with my 1k"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jan-09-17 03:49 PM by flipnile

If I could run synths off an MPC I'd never have to touch my computer while creating. Not a big deal since I have MIDI, but a bunch of rack synths just isn't in the budget right now, so I'm stuck using the ones on my DAW.

I'd actually cop a 3000, or a 2k/2kxl for dirt-cheap before any of the new MPCs.

The3rdOne
Charter member
9105 posts
Mon Jan-09-17 04:52 PM

5. "You can use the Live in controller mode in the 2.0 software."
In response to Reply # 1

so..yes, it can load VSTs

flipnile
13565 posts
Thu Jan-12-17 11:35 AM

29. "Looks like I a still need a computer for the VSTs"
In response to Reply # 5

For what it is it looks great, I'm just after a specific (no computer) workflow. I want to be able to use the DAW for recording only. I prefer knobs, sliders and buttons and hate having to touch a mouse or keyboard.

I guess a few rack modules for sounds would probably work better for me.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44831 posts
Thu Jan-12-17 12:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
30. "You can find a Fantom XR or Motif ES Rack for about $450 "
In response to Reply # 29

Both hold up really well IMO.

Korg M3 is generally available for about $700 on up though the Yamaha MOXF can be had between $8-900.

Of course that's if you're looking for Romplers

Cold Truth
44831 posts
Mon Jan-09-17 03:50 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Most likely copping the Live at some point"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jan-09-17 03:55 PM by Cold Truth

The price of the X is definitely prohibitive and I was hoping the Live would come in at $999 but that's not a huge deal. All things considered the Live will make a sole conanion for my Kronos.

The X doesn much that I want or need beyond the Live aside from that 10 inch touch screen and an imposing form factor. I don't care about the cv gates or sd storage with thumb drives available and don't care about the additional outs since I'll probably render all my drums directly into the Kronos and/Cubase for post production anyways.

I think the hybrid nature of these is revolutionary but we'll have to see how well these serve two masters.

There's already a ton of disappointment for not hosting offline vet's but that seems like a technical pain in the ass so I saw it as an outside shot in the dark to begin with.

Honestly though I think this is the beginning of a new generation of production tools. I know Roland is supposedly dropping their own acb sampler though with their recent botiqie output I won't be surprised to see some miniature monophonic bullshit aimed at hipsters.

All in all this is a big deal.

flipnile
13565 posts
Mon Jan-09-17 03:57 PM

3. "Does the Kronos have a sequencer?"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon Jan-09-17 04:03 PM by flipnile

I use my MPC1000 to sequence everything digital (currently and ASR-X and a DAW) and it works great.

My ASR-X has 8 outs and the MPC up to 8 and I pretty-much only use 1 output on each (I run things mono). Having all those outputs seems like it's only beneficial if you're cutting to tape or you have a bunch of outboard effects to insert(or if you have a fancy digital mixer like the Onyx).

Cold Truth
44831 posts
Mon Jan-09-17 04:32 PM

4. "It does but it's a pain in the ass IMO. "
In response to Reply # 3
Mon Jan-09-17 04:33 PM by Cold Truth

There's no piano roll or even a primitive grid. That's fine for regular instruments but it's a pain in the ass for drums.

The step sequencer works in sixes/twelves and so forth, so a beat tick in a measure would be 12, 24, 36, 48, but it ends at 48. It's just an odd way of doing things to me.

On the MPC it was simple: a measure went from 0-100, in value of 1's, i.e, a snare would be 25, 75, kick on 1 and 50. or 51, 52, 53, whatever.

Even without that it's easy to edit since each pad is one sound on one channel on one track. Editing a drum sequence where everything is on one track with those odd as 'beat tick' times is a pain. Some beats I want a stiff 32 note hat or whatever and even that's a chore, where as on an MPC you hit that note repeat and go to town.

Plus the drum sampling itself isn't really friendly to hip hop. Battery, Maschine, Geist, MPC, etc, all those are well suited in the way you browse and create a drum program. It's kind of a headache in Kronos.

The Live looks like a perfect storm of all those elements. the Kronos is beastly on the synth, sound design, and, for the most part, even rompler functions. IFX routing is dope. It's feature intensive but oddly enough the sequencer is downright anemic on that front. It's startling blemish for such a high end flagship product.

soulfunk
Charter member
10998 posts
Mon Jan-09-17 06:32 PM

11. "Most of the sequencers built in to workstation keyboards"
In response to Reply # 4

have the same issues. But for what they are, I've always preferred Korg sequencers to Roland or Yamaha. And that Kronos has some KILLER sounds...

Cold Truth
44831 posts
Mon Jan-09-17 06:49 PM

12. "Yeah but Korg put in a piano roll in the M3 and the Krome"
In response to Reply # 11

I figured since Krome derived from Kronos and the M3 was the predecessor of the Kronos (though Kronos has much more in common with the Oasys, which they are all derived from) the piano roll in Kronos was a given.

Nearly six years in as one of their most widely requested features and they still won’t add one. It’s mystifying. But yeah, keyboard sequencers are oddly primitive to this day.

And yes the Kronos soundset is eye popping, though as with the rest of the board Korg did 80% of it exceptionally well and oddly screwed the pooch on the rest. Getting a decent guitar sound out of this thing is a pain in the ass. Thankfully I still have some VST’s lol.

Have you heard the “famous synths” added in the 2? That’s a standing ovation job right there. Some of them are very accurate and most are just close enough.

soulfunk
Charter member
10998 posts
Tue Jan-10-17 11:16 AM

16. "Yep - the keyboard player in a cover band I work with sometimes"
In response to Reply # 12

uses those synth patches on the 2 - spot on. First time hearing some of those on a gig was mind blowing - specifically the Prince, MJ, etc. sounds.

Cold Truth
44831 posts
Tue Jan-10-17 11:27 AM

18. "I was sold by the Herbie Hancock and George Duke Rhodes"
In response to Reply # 16

The only disappointment I found was they didn’t extend that concept to other instruments. Even a reasonable approximation of the Al Green horn sound or the “What’s Goin’ On” sax would have been jaw dropping.

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7005 posts
Mon Jan-09-17 05:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "RE: Akai announces the MPC Live & X today both standalone. We copping?"
In response to Reply # 0

While dope..

I probably will just get an MPC 60II again when I can...

I have been "in the box" for so long now that I kinda want to start copping some hardware just to break shit up and get different textures from lofi sample rates

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Mon Jan-09-17 05:49 PM

7. "^"
In response to Reply # 6

I'm not dealing with updates/ROM/RAM etc...

it's cool for streamlining your creative process...but when your computer starts computering it can be frustrating.

I'll just keep payin this 'lectric bill. LOL

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

Cold Truth
44831 posts
Mon Jan-09-17 06:09 PM

8. "Well, the selling point of the Live/X is standalone functionality"
In response to Reply # 7
Mon Jan-09-17 06:10 PM by Cold Truth

>I'm not dealing with updates/ROM/RAM etc...
>
>it's cool for streamlining your creative process...but when
>your computer starts computering it can be frustrating.
>
>I'll just keep payin this 'lectric bill. LOL

The two new units are hybrids. They function 100% as standalone hardware MPC’s that run a full, embedded version of the MPC software and double as a controller for the MC 2.0 software & audio/midi interface.

The only standalone limitation is that it doesn’t host vst’s in standalone and the audio track count drops to 8. Otherwise you have a portable DAW in a standalone box. Particularly with hip hop and other loop based genres where you’re relying heavily on midi triggering samples that audio track count limit isn’t a big deal.

So that plus a fully integrated controller and audio/midi interface if/when you choose to connect to a computer in one box is a groundbreaking product… but that computer integration definitely isn’t necessary.

If you’re working on the computer with VST’s you can simply render your loops to wavs, save them to a flash drive and work offline if you need to

double 0
7005 posts
Mon Jan-09-17 08:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "RE: ^"
In response to Reply # 7

Ram on Mpc or computer? I have only had 2 computers in like 10 yrs and for the most part ive been good... when I used to make beats on mpc it was annoying with the floppys but I think now I would sample into it and go straight to computer so i never needed to save anything on it.

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

The3rdOne
Charter member
9105 posts
Mon Jan-09-17 06:18 PM

9. "the workflow display just SOLD me the Live on this demo video"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jan-09-17 06:19 PM by The3rdOne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDoHh3nRQyg

Live Tracks??

Works waay better than the looper mode on the Touch

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Mon Jan-09-17 06:29 PM

10. "this might be the move..."
In response to Reply # 0

..if its as solid as advertised, sold.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10981 posts
Tue Jan-10-17 10:42 AM

14. "Benefits of this over, say, Maschine?"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm seriously thinking of getting some hardware this year, but still a bit unsure on which direction to go in.

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Tue Jan-10-17 11:09 AM

15. "Most obvious thing is that you don't need a laptop"
In response to Reply # 14

It's completely stand alone.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

Cold Truth
44831 posts
Tue Jan-10-17 11:19 AM

"1. This iteration is a full blown DAW with audio tracks. "
Tue Jan-10-17 11:24 AM by Cold Truth

You get 8 audio tracks in standalone mode and 128 when you’re using the software. Audio tracks are coming to the Maschine, but the MPC is offering them now (well, at launch, which is Feb 6 I believe)

2. Real-time time stretch and pitch shifting, which is huge all by itself.

3. Integrated audio/midi interface with multiple ins and outs, including turntable inputs.

4. Standalone mode! The unit has a full version of the software minus VST’s and a lower audio track count. Standalone mode also has the benefit of a rechargeable battery. No computer necessary, but you do get significantly expanded functionality when connected to a computer, and you retain full control over the 2.0 software.

5. The addition of clip launching as a native function (pun unintended, lol). Maschine requires the addition of Jam for this though I believe they announced that they’ll be adding this in the next os update. Again, it’s coming in Maschine, but the MPC has it now.

6. Customizable GUI, which is a refreshing innovation.

7. The touch screen itself, which may turn off a lot of traditional MPC users. Personally I enjoy the workflow the touchscreen on my Kronos. Despite what some say it’s not “just an ipad” and is in fact very tactile, particularly given the other hardware controls. The Live also has a thicker, chunkier build than the Touch. Both come with Fat Pads, which are IMO much better than Maschine’s.

You won’t get, to my understanding, the fully integrated experience browsing VST’s from the hardware the way you do with Maschine, though that experience in Maschine is limited to Komplete and VST’s that adopted the .NKS protocol.

I know it’s not an exhaustive breakdown but hopefully it helped.

I come from an MPC 2K and racks/older workstations like the XP80, then Cubase, then Maschine, and now Kronos, so I do have plenty of experience working with different formats and in/around their limitations. Personally this is the most exciting new product since Maschine changed the way companies built hardware to integrate with software. I think this is truly the next major leap in production technology.

SP1200
Charter member
20101 posts
Tue Jan-10-17 05:55 PM

21. "nice breakdown, thx."
In response to Reply # 0

J_Stew
Member since Jul 06th 2002
22363 posts
Tue Jan-10-17 06:51 PM

24. "thanks for the breakdown."
In response to Reply # 0

the workflow looks amazingly simple and powerful.

I love using Maschine and I look forward to it having DAW-like capabilities. I sold my Maschine Studio last year and I'll probably just get a Jam when I decide to get back into making music (it's just been an on and off again thing for me the last few years, kind of like to work on a few tracks to see if I still got it, then I put it back down) but these units actually look really dope.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Wed Jan-11-17 10:40 AM

28. "^^on point^^"
In response to Reply # 0

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

Cold Truth
44831 posts
Tue Jan-10-17 11:19 AM

17. "."
In response to Reply # 14
Tue Jan-10-17 11:19 AM by Cold Truth

Seven
Member since Dec 11th 2004
10708 posts
Tue Jan-10-17 04:33 PM

19. "looks cool...I'll pass though...never owned/used an MPC..."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-10-17 04:34 PM by Seven

...small sidetone though...
Ableton really changed the game and a lot of these other companies are playing catch up...
A lot of these features (clip launching etc) was around in Ableton 10+ years ago...
It's crazy how far they've come when you think about it..

flipnile
13565 posts
Tue Jan-10-17 07:17 PM

26. "The sequencer on MPCs is their killer feature, IMHO"
In response to Reply # 19

Very intuitive, fast-to-use and rock-solid. They also have a nice "feel" to them. I sequence Logic with an MPC now because the DAW sequencer just felt too stiff for me. The sampler is nice too, tho all of the newer models sound very clean like DAWs do (everything MPC2k and later). I prefer samplers that color the sound a bit.

Not sure if the workflow would even be comparable to Ableton tho. I've never used it, but seen videos of folks in "live" mode (or whatever it'c called) doing some amazing things with looping on the fly that just isn't possible with an MPC (at least the older ones).

Seven
10708 posts
Tue Jan-10-17 11:38 PM

27. "RE: The sequencer on MPCs is their killer feature, IMHO"
In response to Reply # 26

Yeah...I just missed the boat on with the mpc I think...most I could afford when I started was a trigger finger. I'd use fl studio then went to Ableton.

The Ableton comparison I was making was with the clip launching feature on the new ones. I was assuming the clip launch function they demonstrate is new to the mpc workflow.
To my knowledge Ableton was the first to come with the concept of launching clips/loops.

>Very intuitive, fast-to-use and rock-solid. They also have a
>nice "feel" to them. I sequence Logic with an MPC now because
>the DAW sequencer just felt too stiff for me. The sampler is
>nice too, tho all of the newer models sound very clean like
>DAWs do (everything MPC2k and later). I prefer samplers that
>color the sound a bit.
>
>Not sure if the workflow would even be comparable to Ableton
>tho. I've never used it, but seen videos of folks in "live"
>mode (or whatever it'c called) doing some amazing things with
>looping on the fly that just isn't possible with an MPC (at
>least the older ones).

double 0
7005 posts
Thu Jan-12-17 12:05 PM

31. "RE: looks cool...I'll pass though...never owned/used an MPC..."
In response to Reply # 19

Really Ableton + Push 2 might be end all be all.. its such a tightly integrated package..

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

Seven
10708 posts
Tue Jan-17-17 06:38 AM

34. "Yup"
In response to Reply # 31

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23876 posts
Tue Jan-10-17 05:30 PM

20. "I knew something was up when no one was selling the Ren."
In response to Reply # 0

I've kinda bought all-in on Maschine. I sold my 2500 to get Maschine. My biggest issue with Akai now, is that they won't update the drivers for the EIE Pro interface.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Tue Jan-10-17 06:42 PM

22. "who saw the reports about technics being 'rebranded' at ~$3k+ doe"
In response to Reply # 0

basically kept afloat EXCLUSIVELY by hiphop djs for 30 yrs

then they kill the factory off

then bring it back for "high end audiophiles" with a "exclusionary pricepoint"

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

The3rdOne
Charter member
9105 posts
Tue Jan-10-17 06:44 PM

23. "technics showed hip-hop NO love"
In response to Reply # 22

lol smh

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Tue Jan-10-17 07:15 PM

25. "owned by panasonic"
In response to Reply # 23

which id boycott all their products if they actually made anything else worth a dam

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

Seven
10708 posts
Tue Jan-17-17 07:22 AM

35. "Yup. It's crazy. "
In response to Reply # 22
Tue Jan-17-17 07:23 AM by Seven

>
>then bring it back for "high end audiophiles" with a
>"exclusionary pricepoint"

*aka Rich young post-hipster hipsters who want to listen to vinyl like their grand and great grand parents did.

SP1200
Charter member
20101 posts
Mon Jan-16-17 04:11 PM

32. "New video with more details on MPC Live from Sonic State:"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IhSmq4WDMU

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23876 posts
Tue Jan-17-17 02:58 AM

33. "RE: New video with more details on MPC Live from Sonic State:"
In response to Reply # 32

I do like the USB hub. Because they haven't updated the EIE Pro interface, I'm down 3 USB ports.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Aeon
Charter member
43870 posts
Tue Jan-17-17 04:19 PM

36. "live looks really dope. "
In response to Reply # 0

been a while since i ante'd up that much cash for music production gear but it does offer some interesting options.

im an old fart music production wise so i'm hardpressed to learn new soft/hardware, but maybe it'd be a worthwhile investment.

_

shakin your block with a 6 million dollar bop

_

www.davidevanmcdowell.com

SP1200
Charter member
20101 posts
Wed Jan-18-17 04:01 PM

37. "Real talk."
In response to Reply # 36

Lobby General Discussion topic #13112998 Previous topic | Next topic