Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13111122

Subject: "Most of the friends I made after 25 I met through..." Previous topic | Next topic
BlakStaar
Member since May 29th 2002
1261 posts
Wed Jan-04-17 11:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: Most of the friends I made after 25 I met through..."

Just curious...

I moved back home (the midwest) about a year ago and I realize I may be here longer than planned.

My plan was to return to the east coast (dc or nyc) where it's easier for ME to meet new people and reconnect with folks I already know...I don't know if that's going to happen in the next year.

I'm trying to make the most of it but I'm struggling. I'm almost 30 and making friends after college or even 25, especially when you're not in grad school, is a struggle.

I'm introverted, awkward (womp, womp) and picky. I am a heathen, too, so church is not an option. I'm 30-ish but I look like a teenager to some folks, but has also caused problems.

People think I want to reconnect with childhood friends, but for the most part, I don't. A lot of them are good people but I don't think we're each other's "type," which is why I grew apart from many of closest friends in my teens.

I've joined some professional groups for black folks but I kind of feel pathetic for it. I hate that I have to think about making friends and make an effort.

I want shit to be effortless and organic like when I was a kid, dammit!

Poll result (32 votes)
work (14 votes)Vote
chuch (yes, I said chuch, not church) (0 votes)Vote
professional org (0 votes)Vote
through other friends (8 votes)Vote
online (message boards, twitter, youtube) (3 votes)Vote
other/a good mix (7 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
work or through other friends
Jan 04th 2017
oh, and through playing soccer.
Jan 05th 2017
I stay meeting dudes just from everyday activities
Jan 04th 2017
my wife
Jan 04th 2017
Same here.
Jan 04th 2017
The gym, mutual friends and MeetUps
Jan 04th 2017
you always have to make an effort after college
Jan 04th 2017
90% of my friends are people i met after 25.
Jan 04th 2017
RE: 90% of my friends are people i met after 25.
Jan 04th 2017
      i lived in a peter pan world.
Jan 04th 2017
It's really hard
Jan 04th 2017
my local bar
Jan 04th 2017
sports bars and work.
Jan 04th 2017
*footage not found*
Jan 04th 2017
My wife, the military, and certain civilian jobs.
Jan 04th 2017
commuter train - same crowd everyday
Jan 04th 2017
I'm your friend forever...
Jan 05th 2017
community via arts and social justice spaces
Jan 06th 2017
I was in the same boat
Jan 06th 2017
Dating, and a few from work.
Jan 06th 2017
Aug 16th 2019
I think about this a lot
Aug 16th 2019
its been really hard in baltimore
Aug 16th 2019

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Wed Jan-04-17 11:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "work or through other friends"
In response to Reply # 0

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Thu Jan-05-17 10:13 AM

17. "oh, and through playing soccer."
In response to Reply # 1

but those dudes i don't see much outside of soccer.

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13563 posts
Wed Jan-04-17 11:59 AM

2. "I stay meeting dudes just from everyday activities"
In response to Reply # 0

The gym and basketball court are two big ones. If you smoke, then you might find a cool dude to chief with. If you have any oddball hobbies then you can go to a meetup (I ride bikes, and dudes are always having random meetups to go riding).

Anything activity-based makes it easy for dudes to connect in my experience.

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Wed Jan-04-17 12:03 PM

3. "my wife"
In response to Reply # 0

I got lucky, I couldnt have asked for a better circle to bring me in. we have a great time when we're all together

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Wed Jan-04-17 03:32 PM

12. "Same here."
In response to Reply # 3

I got a circle via my wife making friends at the Y. So I know them and their husbands.

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Wed Jan-04-17 12:06 PM

4. "The gym, mutual friends and MeetUps"
In response to Reply # 0

Gym was the easiest. Hoopin with guys you naturally get to know them

I was super skeptical about Meetups but have met some cool folks through it. It's great for finding other people who are also maybe new to a city

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Wed Jan-04-17 12:07 PM

5. "you always have to make an effort after college"
In response to Reply # 0

everybody does, even non-awkward people. it's easy when you're all stuck in the same limited space, when people are doing their own thing you gotta put in work to keep the fire stoked.

Of course there are those friends you can not see for ____ years and when you see em you are shooting the shit like it was yesterday

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Wed Jan-04-17 12:11 PM

6. "90% of my friends are people i met after 25. "
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jan-04-17 12:12 PM by double negative

through partying and general debauchery

the other 10% are folks I met through partying and general debauchery in my early 20s.

further of the 90% met post 25 about 60% of those were met after college.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

BlakStaar
Member since May 29th 2002
1261 posts
Wed Jan-04-17 01:30 PM

10. "RE: 90% of my friends are people i met after 25. "
In response to Reply # 6

>through partying and general debauchery
>
>the other 10% are folks I met through partying and general
>debauchery in my early 20s.
>
>
>further of the 90% met post 25 about 60% of those were met
>after college.

This is refreshing. There's hope for me.

--
"Music is not to be possessed; it's to be shared.” - James Mtume

"Just stay loose, keep it raw, and bang ya drums out sometimes." - Madlib

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Wed Jan-04-17 04:08 PM

15. "i lived in a peter pan world. "
In response to Reply # 10

called san francisco

so it was super easy to meet folks who also loved to drink too much and stay up late

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Wed Jan-04-17 12:16 PM

7. "It's really hard"
In response to Reply # 0

I moved to CO from NJ like 8 years ago when I was 22. I've made friends briefly here and there, but didn't really end up connecting. I even made my own meetup group which is really not like me. I ended up meeting my longtime girlfriend through that, but most of the people who showed up were weirdos honestly. Most people we've met here are super outdoorsy and spend all their time hiking or rock climbing which I'm not interested in. Even if you do meet someone cool it always feels like you're asking them on a date or something. I feel like I really need to get back to a coast at some point.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Jan-04-17 12:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "my local bar"
In response to Reply # 0

No joke. My best friends in SF are all via one bar.

Two other people -- one I met when I was taking singing lessons and one I met on the bus after a movie at the SF Film Festival (Murderball!) that both of us attended, then she sat next to me on the bus, then we both disembarked at the same stop and we learned that we live 2 blocks from each other.

But the vast majority of my friends are from the one bar that I've been going to for the 21+ years I've lived here.

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79545 posts
Wed Jan-04-17 12:21 PM

9. "sports bars and work. "
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Government Name
Member since Dec 16th 2005
23190 posts
Wed Jan-04-17 01:39 PM

11. "*footage not found*"
In response to Reply # 0

________
http://twitter.com/aehorton
http://instagram.com/aehorton

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Wed Jan-04-17 03:33 PM

13. "My wife, the military, and certain civilian jobs."
In response to Reply # 0

Since 1976

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Wed Jan-04-17 03:53 PM

14. "commuter train - same crowd everyday"
In response to Reply # 0

met a lotta 'old heads'.

cool cats
sage wisdoms

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Thu Jan-05-17 10:08 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
16. "I'm your friend forever..."
In response to Reply # 0

unless "you" do something to jeopardize it. All my friends have been around. With this in mind, I usually meet new people thru others or work...

rawsouthpaw
Charter member
15496 posts
Fri Jan-06-17 06:43 PM

18. "community via arts and social justice spaces"
In response to Reply # 0

a co-ed soccer group that was started by bay area activists started a branch in LA and once i started playing with them my circle of really legit peoples bllllleeeww up by dozens.

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5613 posts
Fri Jan-06-17 07:08 PM

19. "I was in the same boat"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jan-06-17 07:12 PM by GOMEZ

my best advice is to do shit you like to do, and find other people who share that interest.

I started doing capoeira at 30. I met a bunch of good folks through that, and a hella diverse and open minded group of people at that. I've met everyone from janitors to biochemicial engineers.

So if you like sports find some rec league sport and get down. If you're not down with sports, find something else you're stoked on i.e. a photography class or study a foreign language or something. I took a portuguese class at a local adult ed spot and met hella cool people doing that too. I always wanted to do a cooking class, cuz i'm sure that would be fun too. Be around people who are stoked on shit and learning - it's not school exactly, but similar idea.

If you get a chance be helpful to people, and don't be afraid to ask people for help. Like - you need help moving stuff and kind of know a dude with a truck? tell him your in a bind and ask if he can help you out then, pay him back with hella beer or something. You know dude, shit.

More than anything, don't force it and don't beat yourself up, just get out and do more shit. Also don't weird out when someone is actually nice and wants to be your friend, i used to do that and then say i was being 'picky'. Mostly i was being an anti-social dick.

Good luck fam. Late 20's was a hella weird time for me, so i feel your struggle.

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Fri Jan-06-17 07:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "Dating, and a few from work."
In response to Reply # 0

AbdulJaleel
Charter member
23892 posts
Fri Aug-16-19 04:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
21. "online"
In response to Reply # 0

vegan groups and travel groups

www.instagram.com/schemeofthings

snacks
Member since Sep 15th 2005
5814 posts
Fri Aug-16-19 04:55 PM

22. "I think about this a lot"
In response to Reply # 0

As children we have no idea who we are, and we're all essentially running the same race (school, non-career job, etc). There's no real playbook for making friends as an adult

Most of my new ones came from social media, work, and other friends (in that order)

Anyways, maybe a Meetup group? I never actually went, but when I lived in DC, groups like Outdoor Afro at least seemed like a good place to meet like-minded people

The Brand Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@themonarchbrand
https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/2023071.rss

The Life Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@thewaterpodcast
https://redcircle.com/shows/the-water-podcast

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Fri Aug-16-19 08:42 PM

23. "its been really hard in baltimore"
In response to Reply # 0

i've pretty much given up
the social circle here is (or feels) very closed-in
folk have their friends and that's it

i've met plenty of people in different areas and events (even did meetups)
but it's not like they really welcome you into their circle
they become people you met at *such and such a place*
...it never really goes further than that
and i think its because they already have their crew
(and perhaps i have some role to play in this, i don't know).

i didnt realize the extent of this until i traveled to other places
and realized how much easier it is to make friends... you connect with people, they invite you to things, you get to meet their circle etc.
its been a bit different here (and yes, i've had numerous convos about this- which is why i concluded that's just the way things are around here)
i think i'm at the point where i'm ready to move to somewhere else.
not sure where though.

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13111122 Previous topic | Next topic