Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13110109

Subject: "you like Depeche Mode? Wu-Tang the Yardbirds of hip hop" Previous topic | Next topic
rdhull
Charter member
33126 posts
Fri Dec-30-16 10:41 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"you like Depeche Mode? Wu-Tang the Yardbirds of hip hop"

Do you like DM?

I admit, I like the material from Violater on. The 80's material is too sterile for me

Wu-Tang with all of the off shoots of members making their own successes seem like the Yardbirds of rap

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Shit yes - and I love the 80's stuff the most
Dec 30th 2016
This is timely for me, ive been going into their earlier catelog
Dec 30th 2016
they used to play it at our JH and HS dances
Dec 30th 2016
THis list is very well curated:
Jan 03rd 2017
the 80s seems like Kraftwerk style
Dec 30th 2016
Depeche Mode is one of the best acts ever.
Dec 30th 2016
will come back with a lengthy post about them later tonight
Jan 01st 2017

handle
Charter member
18935 posts
Fri Dec-30-16 10:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Shit yes - and I love the 80's stuff the most"
In response to Reply # 0

I didn't like the turn in the 90s when it happened but within a few years i was all on board again.

I just bought the Depeche Mode Live in Berlin box set to get Delta machine in surround sound.

The "early stuff" was a staple we'd listen to in High School. I remember buy Music For The Masses on release day.

They write catchy fucking songs.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Fri Dec-30-16 11:08 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "This is timely for me, ive been going into their earlier catelog"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Dec-30-16 11:14 AM by BigReg

My older cousins were always big music heads and put me into Violator. I stayed an arms length away from their earlier stuff tho because it sounded like some 'white people shit' because I was young ignorant idiot.

Was at a restaurant a month back and a particularly funky 80's beat came on (think of Cameo) and I heard Gahan's unmistakable voice and I was like, 'Shit, lemmie see what else they got ive been missing'.

Heavily underrated; it feels alot of the synth/beat focused artists from the 80's aint get their props because electronic music was seen as disposable. Ironic considering what music sounds like in 2016.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79493 posts
Fri Dec-30-16 11:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "they used to play it at our JH and HS dances"
In response to Reply # 0

We would get mad as shit because all the weirdo kids would run to the dance floor...

can't front tho, some of those songs were banging. I love 80's pop. Maybe it's because those were my impressionable years, ionno, seems like that was the era when one hit wonders were at their highest. Prolly due to MTV.

Enjoy the Silence... that breakdown with the synth horns... nice.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Tue Jan-03-17 06:12 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "THis list is very well curated:"
In response to Reply # 3

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqRG33kmyQ-bQh1h_xu2A3iGlAIXtLBIC

THAT is some depeche mode there....1 through 15.

rdhull
Charter member
33126 posts
Fri Dec-30-16 11:42 AM

4. "the 80s seems like Kraftwerk style"
In response to Reply # 0

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Fri Dec-30-16 04:00 PM

5. "Depeche Mode is one of the best acts ever."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Dec-30-16 04:10 PM by denny

They transcend their genre and era because the songwriting is really, really good. They were always pretty hip to new sounds and new technology too...but they always made sure that the tech serviced the underlying song rather than just messing around with blips and bloops.

I'd like to learn more about their band dynamics. I should get a book. I've wondered why their most recent stuff seems to contradict what I said above....namely that the songwriting has suffered and they seem to be just going for sonic landscapes. My impression is that Gore wrote all the songs but it's pretty hard not to notice the downturn in quality after Alan Wilder left the group. And he claimed at the time that his contributions were unappreciated and unacknowledged. I'm guessing that their best work was a product of Wilder/Gore collaberation. Perhaps with Gore writing and Wilder arranging? Maybe when Wilder left....Gore neglected the writing to make up for the void in production/arranging?

Anyone know about this?

I've seen them live twice. They put on an amazing show. Bring a date.

2Future4U
Charter member
3346 posts
Sun Jan-01-17 09:10 PM

6. "will come back with a lengthy post about them later tonight"
In response to Reply # 0

a big fan of DM..i dont rock all black or wear white makeup but i would bleed for those guys

https://www.instagram.com/christiancgarrido/

Hussein ibn Malik "if he escaped on a horse he might be realest nigga ever, EVER..2013 Nat Turner with the burner"

MaxPtah "Django is real homie.."

PoppaGeorge "If you're a child of the 70's, Ye looks like

Lobby General Discussion topic #13110109 Previous topic | Next topic