Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13101814

Subject: "UKP: Recommend the good good food in Shoreditch, LDN" Previous topic | Next topic
Firecracker
Member since Feb 20th 2007
1892 posts
Mon Dec-05-16 07:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"UKP: Recommend the good good food in Shoreditch, LDN"

Staying from tomorrow through Thursday

Any suggestion is cool, but we'll be staying in Shoreditch so anywhere around chea would be preferable

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
You'll find a LOT in Shoreditch.
Dec 05th 2016
This is dope
Dec 05th 2016
RE: You'll find a LOT in Shoreditch.
Dec 05th 2016
This covers it - i'll add a couple extras
Dec 05th 2016

TheAlbionist
Member since Jul 04th 2011
3306 posts
Mon Dec-05-16 08:09 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "You'll find a LOT in Shoreditch."
In response to Reply # 0

I work nearby (Liverpool St) and tbh, it's worth just having a wander and seeing what takes your fancy... we've all got our personal favourites - Shoreditch has undergone a major student/hipster transformation in the last 15 years and they pretty much don't allow bad food establishments anymore.

If you want cheap options, try the Boxpark next to Shoreditch - full of pop up shops and restaurants. The Chicken Box is reliable and cheap.

Pizza East has been a favourite for pre-club students on a budget ever since I moved to London.

Opposite BoxPark is RichMix which is an arts venue (indie cinema, music, lectures etc) with a really banging, cheap Indian attached to it.

We seem to be reaching the tail end of a US BBQ/Burger boom, so a lot of the coolest spaces are probably doing what to us is great BBQ, but may seem inauthentic if you're coming from the South - Red Dog Saloon on Hoxton Sq, Porkies or Reds are a good bet for BBQ and any of the MEAT variations (MEAT Mission in Shoreditch, MEAT Market in Covent Garden or MEAT Liquor in the West End) are probably the best US style burgers in the city - Hache do a bit more of a European styled burger menu and are worth a look.

The Breakfast Club is a good look for greasy breakfasts in kitschy 80s/90s surroundings.

Shoreditch has one of the best Indians in the city in Dishoom - I'd go here rather than fall for Brick Lane "free bottle of wine" con... there are some great restaurants on Brick Lane, but it's a fucking minefield littered with tourist traps too. Try the market in the Old Truman Brewery on the weekend for very good value street food from just about every corner of the world.

If you want a really good, British Sunday roast try The Jones Family Project.

I'd avoid the Jamie Oliver restaurant - expensive and a bit bland.

Make sure to wander around Spitalfields market - plenty of cheap bites to be had in and around.

))<>((
forever.

Firecracker
Member since Feb 20th 2007
1892 posts
Mon Dec-05-16 01:43 PM

2. "This is dope"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks a lot, passed a screenshot of your reply off to the ppl I'm traveling with

Appreciated!

Coley
Member since Aug 24th 2010
10 posts
Mon Dec-05-16 02:21 PM

3. "RE: You'll find a LOT in Shoreditch."
In response to Reply # 1

How about places in Shepherd's bush?

cal.25
Member since Nov 10th 2014
188 posts
Mon Dec-05-16 05:36 PM

4. "This covers it - i'll add a couple extras"
In response to Reply # 1

>Shoreditch has one of the best Indians in the city in Dishoom
>- I'd go here rather than fall for Brick Lane "free bottle of
>wine" con... there are some great restaurants on Brick Lane,
>but it's a fucking minefield littered with tourist traps too.
>Try the market in the Old Truman Brewery on the weekend for
>very good value street food from just about every corner of
>the world.

Dishoom is a big favourite for Londoners, and they don't take bookings for small groups. So be prepared to wait a while for a table at peak times!

For other indian/pakistani food check out Tayyabs in Whitechapel. That can also get massive queues so try out the similar Lahore Kebab House nearby which is quieter but still as good

>Make sure to wander around Spitalfields market - plenty of
>cheap bites to be had in and around.

At the north end of Brick Lane, Beigel Bake is a MUST. It's a 24hr jewish bakery that is famous for their salt beef filling

Lobby General Discussion topic #13101814 Previous topic | Next topic