Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13090363

Subject: "I'm feeling like I'm in a really bad rut. " Previous topic | Next topic
walihorse
Member since Aug 03rd 2006
16125 posts
Fri Nov-04-16 12:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I'm feeling like I'm in a really bad rut. "

I'm not sure how to change my persistent lack of initiative/ambition/motivation.

Things are rocky with my girl, I absolutely hate my job and the people I work with, I'm having a difficult time getting in the door to a new job, I don't feel like I'm making enough money, so what I qualify for is making less than I'm making now.

I almost feel cheated, cuz I went to school, worked hard, but there aren't the type of job I can get that pay what I'd like.

I feel like its a cycle of procrastination, because I didn't get the outcome I thoughts I'd get, which make me not care as much, then I care, but get down because when I try to change it isn't enough.

I needed to say it, not really looking for advice, but I don't feel comfortable enough to talk to family or my girl about this yet.

I fell like I've let myself down.

żIf a fat guy falls in the woods and there is no one around to see it, do the trees laugh?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
what industry?
Nov 04th 2016
Finance.
Nov 04th 2016
      got kids?
Nov 04th 2016
           Nope.
Nov 04th 2016
                If you have an inkling of a dream about anything...do it now fam...just....
Nov 04th 2016
                     I appreciate it
Nov 04th 2016
Getting fed up is the necessary first step
Nov 04th 2016
I'm definitely feeling that pressure
Nov 04th 2016
      don't be too hard on yourself
Nov 04th 2016
Why is the money so important to you?
Nov 04th 2016
Well cuz I feel like i'm paycheck to paycheck
Nov 04th 2016
is the relationship rocky because of your rut?
Nov 04th 2016
I think its a rut is an affect of my rut
Nov 04th 2016

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44620 posts
Fri Nov-04-16 12:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "what industry?"
In response to Reply # 0

walihorse
16125 posts
Fri Nov-04-16 12:49 PM

2. "Finance. "
In response to Reply # 1

I work as an assistant to a financial advisor. I do financial analysis, plus general client service and office management.

żIf a fat guy falls in the woods and there is no one around to see it, do the trees laugh?

FLUIDJ
44620 posts
Fri Nov-04-16 12:52 PM

4. "got kids?"
In response to Reply # 2

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

walihorse
16125 posts
Fri Nov-04-16 12:55 PM

5. "Nope. "
In response to Reply # 4

FLUIDJ
44620 posts
Fri Nov-04-16 12:58 PM

8. "If you have an inkling of a dream about anything...do it now fam...just...."
In response to Reply # 5

I know you said no advice....
so consider it just a nudge.

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

walihorse
16125 posts
Fri Nov-04-16 01:02 PM

10. "I appreciate it "
In response to Reply # 8

I'm not sure what it is that I'm passionate about though. No clue what I'd change to at this point that would leave me fulfilled.

Stringer Bell
Member since Mar 15th 2004
3175 posts
Fri Nov-04-16 12:50 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Getting fed up is the necessary first step"
In response to Reply # 0

There might be other cures to procrastination/lack of motivation, but the only one that has ever worked for me is pressure.

In the early days of my career, the pressure was simply to survive.

Now that I've come a little ways, the pressure is the desire, to start a family, have an easier life, travel, etc.

Sounds like you're waking up to an inner desire, to be more. Don't shut out your dreams, and you'll get moving.

walihorse
16125 posts
Fri Nov-04-16 12:56 PM

7. "I'm definitely feeling that pressure"
In response to Reply # 3

I got talked to by my girl and it was not pleasant. Crazy thing is I took it cuz I knew she was right.

willothewisp
Member since Feb 07th 2003
1089 posts
Fri Nov-04-16 01:09 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "don't be too hard on yourself"
In response to Reply # 7

sometimes the opinion of someone else is just their opinion, doesn't need to be yours too (compromise can be good too though)

life isn't fair either, just you make the best of the cards your are dealt...

willothewisp
Member since Feb 07th 2003
1089 posts
Fri Nov-04-16 12:55 PM

6. "Why is the money so important to you?"
In response to Reply # 0

Does it equal self-worth to you? Or do you want it to be able to do things you like since your job is not fulfilling?

I can fully understand other things in your post, but this I am curious about...

walihorse
16125 posts
Fri Nov-04-16 01:01 PM

9. "Well cuz I feel like i'm paycheck to paycheck"
In response to Reply # 6

I work in an industry where everyday check review people's retirement plans.

I'm not close to them. I haven't been able to start really contributing to my retirement.

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Fri Nov-04-16 01:12 PM

12. "is the relationship rocky because of your rut? "
In response to Reply # 0

walihorse
16125 posts
Fri Nov-04-16 01:20 PM

13. "I think its a rut is an affect of my rut"
In response to Reply # 12
Fri Nov-04-16 01:20 PM by walihorse

due to my realization of my lack of motivation.

I think.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13090363 Previous topic | Next topic