Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13082505

Subject: ""20 years of Joi and counting" docufilm - alljoieverything.com" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13955 posts
Sat Oct-15-16 11:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
""20 years of Joi and counting" docufilm - alljoieverything.com"

http://www.alljoieverything.com/

(trailer inside of link - it's called a trailer on youtube but the alljoieverything website seems to not hint at a fuller movie, so....I hope there's a fuller movie)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9PJ5Zfp1jU

20 Years Of Joi And Counting Docufilm

Celebrating two decades since her introduction to the music world, indie icon JOI performs her debut album “The Pendulum Vibe” to a packed venue in Atlanta’s Center Stage Theatre. This footage captures the mystique, sex appeal, liberation, and other musings often associated with a JOI live experience. Backed by longtime collaborators and kin, 20 Years of Joi And Counting is proof that she's still the funkiest show on the road.

As a trailblazer and a maverick, the genre-morphing singer, songwriter and producer, JOI, has always been ahead of the mainstream cultural and artistic landscape. Debuting with the 1994 critically acclaimed The Pendulum Vibe (EMI), JOI and producer Dallas Austin created a sharp, kaleidoscopic set of unclassifiable jams (later dubbed ‘Neo-Soul’) powered by lead single "Sunshine & the Rain". An all-black, all-woman version of the album cut “Freedom” was issued for Mario Van Peebles’ film, “Panther”. Mary J Blige, Queen Latifah, En Vogue and a teenage Aaliyah were among the 60 plus vocalists.

By the end of the decade, JOI became one of the first black models in a major Calvin Klein ad campaign (CK One). She independently released the adventurous Amoeba Cleansing Syndrome album, backed by indie rock collective Fishbone, and worked on projects for the likes of Goodie Mob, Outkast, Curtis Mayfield George Clinton and others.

During the 2000's, JOI was signed to the Universal label that produced the funky effort Star Kitty’s Revenge, her most commercially viable album to date. Star Kitty’s Revenge featured signature tunes “Lick” and “Jefferson St. Joe”, an ode to her father Joe Gilliam, the NFL’s first black starting quarterback. JOI was asked to join R&B super-group Lucy Pearl alongside Raphael Saadiq, soon after.

In 2006, she independently released the emotional tour-de-force; Tennessee Slim Is The Bomb under her Joilicious Records imprint. She subsequently promoted the album with an extensive tour.

The last decade has found JOI free of the fledgling label system and fully immersed in Artisan Polishing, DJ'ing, and vocal work on productions by Max Martin (Ariana Grande, Tori Kelly), Polow Da Don (Monica) and others. A 20th anniversary international tour with Outkast preceded her own #20YearsOfJOI run. A 2015 European tour with D'Angelo And The Vanguard kept Joi (Vanguard vocalist) touring internationally much of the year.

March 2016, Joi was featured in "The Art of Organized Noize" documentary chronicling the origins and legacy of the Dungeon Family's sound and how the Atlanta-based collective changed music forever. Between solo tour dates, she plans to complete recording her highly anticipated fifth solo effort, Rebekkah HolyLove's Salvation Symphony and a summer tour.

INFO@ALLJOIEVERYTHING.COM

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I have no idea who she is.
Oct 15th 2016
that's why I'm here
Oct 15th 2016
logging in cuz I LOVE Joi
Oct 15th 2016
You supposed to LOVE Joi, understand?
Oct 15th 2016
      that is my BABY
Oct 15th 2016
           Now you bragging
Oct 15th 2016
Red bull music Academy Joi feature - mackmike posted in the Lesson
Oct 15th 2016
It's advisable to type Joi Gilliam (her full name) for youtube searches
Oct 15th 2016
lmao
Oct 15th 2016
she's so dope...in every way...
Oct 15th 2016
my bad...Organized Noise documentary
Oct 15th 2016

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Sat Oct-15-16 11:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I have no idea who she is."
In response to Reply # 0

I guess I'm not that Playery...

---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.

c71
13955 posts
Sat Oct-15-16 12:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "that's why I'm here"
In response to Reply # 1

"I serve a purpose - but I'm not the G.I. Joe" - Brother J

Krispee
Member since May 23rd 2010
3816 posts
Sat Oct-15-16 12:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "logging in cuz I LOVE Joi"
In response to Reply # 0

I saw her live in Chicago a couple months ago... her new music sounds as good as the old.

c71
13955 posts
Sat Oct-15-16 12:11 PM

4. "You supposed to LOVE Joi, understand?"
In response to Reply # 3

Am I clear?

Krispee
Member since May 23rd 2010
3816 posts
Sat Oct-15-16 12:15 PM

5. "that is my BABY"
In response to Reply # 4

She gave me a hug and I was cheesing the rest of the night

c71
13955 posts
Sat Oct-15-16 12:17 PM

6. "Now you bragging"
In response to Reply # 5

that's a-ight, tho

you got something to brag about right there, yes

c71
13955 posts
Sat Oct-15-16 12:18 PM

7. "Red bull music Academy Joi feature - mackmike posted in the Lesson"
In response to Reply # 0

http://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/2015/08/joi-feature

c71
13955 posts
Sat Oct-15-16 12:49 PM

8. "It's advisable to type Joi Gilliam (her full name) for youtube searches"
In response to Reply # 0

believe me

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Sat Oct-15-16 06:04 PM

11. "lmao"
In response to Reply # 8

<--- Big Baller World Order

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Sat Oct-15-16 04:11 PM

9. "she's so dope...in every way..."
In response to Reply # 0

I was speechless how fine she was in the Dungeon Family documentary.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Sat Oct-15-16 04:50 PM

10. "my bad...Organized Noise documentary"
In response to Reply # 9

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Lobby General Discussion topic #13082505 Previous topic | Next topic