Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13062312

Subject: "Anyone get this Chase Sapphire Reserve card? Let's talk credit cards" Previous topic | Next topic
PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Sun Aug-28-16 11:38 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Anyone get this Chase Sapphire Reserve card? Let's talk credit cards"
Sun Aug-28-16 11:44 AM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

http://time.com/money/4461137/chase-sapphire-reserve-rewards-credit-card/

I'm tempted to apply for this. I don't have any cards with an annual fee, and this one is hefty. $450 per year.

But the rewards make it seem pretty worthwhile if you travel.
First you get a sign up bonus of 100,000 points if you spend $4000 in the first three months. That 100,000 points is apparently equal to $1500 worth of travel.

And each year you get a $300 travel credit (refunded flight or hotel expenses). It also comes with access to airport lounges (ballin!), no foreign transaction fees, and some other stuff.

My only hesitation is whether I spend enough to make it worth it. I'm over here wondering how could I spend $4000 in 3 months so I don't fail trying to get the sign up bonus

I need to do some quick math lol.

Any rewards cards you rock with that you recommend? *waits for someone to stunt with their black card*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
man, a $450 annual fee though?
Aug 28th 2016
Vlauepenguin
Aug 28th 2016
quick math
Aug 29th 2016
But if you are spending $4050 anyways....
Aug 29th 2016
Yeah dude, if you are about to book a vacay and spend this any way...
Aug 29th 2016
well 1500 + 300 - 450 = 1350
Aug 29th 2016
I have the regular Sapphire card
Aug 29th 2016
Dang we just booked a trip that I could have used this for.
Aug 29th 2016

Oakley
Charter member
7810 posts
Sun Aug-28-16 12:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "man, a $450 annual fee though?"
In response to Reply # 0

handle
Charter member
18954 posts
Sun Aug-28-16 01:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Vlauepenguin"
In response to Reply # 0

First, if the reward program is hard to understand it's because they purposely do it. VlauePenguin has a page on this program:
http://www.valuepenguin.com/chase-sapphire-reserve-credit-card

You can compare it to other programs and see if it's for you. Buy paying $450 to get $1500 seems pretty good - for the first year at least.

--
My mother has a Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa.

It had a threshold too - but I find that if you just charge everything possible to the card you'll do it easily.

Groceries, gas, restaurants, snow tires, Target runs - put it all on the card and pay the card off each month. I've used the card to buy a computer with and just gave her the cash.

She's spent enough on it to have "companion status" now where she gets to take a person free on any flight.

The annual fee is $99.

http://www.valuepenguin.com/southwest-airlines-credit-cards

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79626 posts
Mon Aug-29-16 12:36 AM

3. "quick math"
In response to Reply # 0

You're spending $4500 in 4 months to make $1800.

doesnt make any gotdamn sense.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

handle
Charter member
18954 posts
Mon Aug-29-16 01:30 AM

4. "But if you are spending $4050 anyways...."
In response to Reply # 3

>doesnt make any gotdamn sense.

Then it does. But only for the first year with the bonuses.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49429 posts
Mon Aug-29-16 10:46 AM

7. "Yeah dude, if you are about to book a vacay and spend this any way..."
In response to Reply # 3

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

sndesai1
Member since Feb 02nd 2013
1229 posts
Mon Aug-29-16 01:50 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "well 1500 + 300 - 450 = 1350"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Aug-29-16 01:52 AM by sndesai1

if you were already gonna spend 3k+ in the next 3 months, then it might be worth it to get to 4k to get that bonus. but if your normal spending habits would have you at 1.5-2k don't add on another 2k of spending just to get the bonus. now if you know you have to buy something big in the next few months like a bunch of furniture, jewelry, computer, etc. then it could also make sense. if not, then just find a card that has like a 30k point bonus with 1k spending requirement and waived fee...or 50k points with 3k spending and waived fee. also, don't keep the card after the first year - either cancel it or downgrade it to a non-fee card if you can in order to increase your average length of credit and also decrease credit utilization

tl;dr:
- don't increase your spending significantly to get cc bonuses
- just apply for cc bonuses that mostly line up with your normal spending
- make sure you either cancel or downgrade all of these cards before you get charged the 2nd year fee

Brother Rabbit
Member since Oct 31st 2007
1617 posts
Mon Aug-29-16 10:15 AM

6. "I have the regular Sapphire card"
In response to Reply # 0

$100 annually. Think I'll stick to that one.

They're bureaucrats! I don't respect them.(c)Rick Sanchez

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49429 posts
Mon Aug-29-16 10:48 AM

8. "Dang we just booked a trip that I could have used this for. "
In response to Reply # 0

My wife and I were just discussing getting one credit card devoted solely to vacations.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Lobby General Discussion topic #13062312 Previous topic | Next topic