Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13057243

Subject: "hilldawg's boy McAuliffe tryna move da redskins to bougie VA" Previous topic | Next topic
_explain555
Member since Oct 15th 2009
1412 posts
Mon Aug-15-16 11:09 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: hilldawg's boy McAuliffe tryna move da redskins to bougie VA"

all i know bout tysons corner is it got luxury shops n shit

i dont be out there like that when i hit dmv somebody school me

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/virginia-governor-were-in-very-serious-negotiations-for-a-redskins-stadium/

by Sean Wagner-McGough

Virginia governor: 'We're in very serious negotiations' for a Redskins stadium

The movement to move the Redskins from Maryland to Virginia is gaining steam.Virginia governor Terry McAuliffe isn't willing to just let Maryland keep the Redskins. McAuliffe remains committed to bringing the Redskins to Virginia.

Speaking with ESPN 980 on Friday morning -- the team's official station -- McAuliffe revealed that he's in "very serious negotiations" to lure the Redskins away with a new stadium.

His reasoning? The Redskins are already a Virginia team, apparently. According to McAuliffe, Redskins president Bruce Allen told him that roughly two-thirds of the team's revenue comes from residents of Virginia.
"I view this as a Virginia team," he said, according to The Washington Post. "I know they're in Maryland right now. But a majority of the season ticket holders are Virginians, all the players live in Virginia, we have all of your facilities. ... We're in very serious negotiations, as I assume other jurisdictions are. Listen, we would love to have them."
This isn't the first time McAuliffe has expressed interest in the Redskins, whose lease at FedEx Field in Landover will expire in 2027. This also isn't the first time news of an eventual Redskins move has surfaced. In fact, the last time we checked in, the Redskins were revealing preliminary plans for a new stadium.

That new stadium included an actual moat -- yes, sort of like the days of castles and kings -- that would be used for kayaking, which probably didn't happen in the olden days, unless folks wanted to be snatched out of their boats by lurking crocodiles.

Back to Virginia, though. There's no word if the hypothetical stadium there would include a kayak-able moat. Instead, McAuliffe seems to be focused on something more important: how it'll impact the taxpayers, because stadiums tend to cost a ton of money.

"I think there's a lot of reasons why Dan (Snyder) and company want to bring them to Virginia, because of all the things I just mentioned," McAuliffe said. "But what I always say is it's got to make sense for the taxpayers of Virginia. We've got to negotiate a deal -- my job as governor is to get economic activity -- but you've also got to protect the taxpayer dollars. And we've got to be creative with this thing, so we're protecting the taxpayers, it's in the taxpayers' best interests and it's a win-win for the Redskins."

According to The Washington Post, McAuliffe cited Virginia's population, its abundance of land, and the presence of active-military and veterans in Virginia as reasons why the Redskins would want to move.

McAuliffe then highlighted a potential landing spot for that stadium, as The Washington Post's Dan Steinberg reported:

Later in the interview, McAuliffe discussed the recent economic development in the Tysons Corner area, "going on to Reston/Wiehle, and then to Dulles Airport with the Silver Line, and then further into Loudoun."

"I think those areas would be great places for a new stadium," he said, adding that a stadium would have to be near a Metro stop.
"Lot of land over there," said ESPN 980's Chris Cooley, who was interviewing McAuliffe. "Lot of open spaces. Where else are you gonna find it?"

So, considering I grew up in the Seattle area and have lived in the Bay Area since I graduated high school, I won't pretend to know how a move from Maryland to Virginia would impact fans in Maryland. I do know, however, that Google Maps says the drive from FedEx Field to Tysons Corner is roughly 34 minutes without traffic. And I'm guessing there would be a decent amount of traffic on game days.

Still, Cooley seemed unconcerned about the commute for Marylanders.
"You want the sense of the heart of the city, but everyone in the city can get in a car and drive to FedEx or drive to National Harbor or drive to ," Cooley said. "Does it even matter that the San Francisco 49ers play in San Jose now? They're the San Jose 49ers now."

Yes, it does actually matter that the 49ers play in San Jose now, because it is a pain to get from San Francisco to San Jose, and this time I am speaking from experience. I don't really have a personal preference of where exactly the Redskins play football in the future, but pretending the move wouldn't negatively affect Marylanders is insane.

That being said, please make that moat happens regardless of where the stadium is built. It's the Redskins' best worst-idea since that time they decided to create and operate a "fan" Twitter account.

Poll result (4 votes)
dont care (4 votes)Vote
sound like a good idea (0 votes)Vote
da fuck?! (0 votes)Vote
its a plot to make skins games harder for black folk to get to (0 votes)Vote
yo soy blanco (0 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
FedEx Field has to be the worst stadium in the NFL
Aug 15th 2016
What's wrong with Everbank?
Aug 15th 2016
I'll take that back about the Jags, they're renovating & it's been 10 ye...
Aug 15th 2016
LOL damn
Aug 15th 2016
only b/c the dome in STL has no team this season. lol
Aug 15th 2016
      FedEx Field is like the Spirit Airlines of Stadiums
Aug 15th 2016
RE: hilldawg's boy McAuliffe tryna move da redskins to bougie VA
Aug 15th 2016
DC Native, former Redskins sucker... take em, fuck em.
Aug 15th 2016
it won't change how bad they suck
Aug 15th 2016
but, but, but... we're getting better!
Aug 15th 2016
Good. That way VA can finally have a team!
Aug 15th 2016
The practice facilities are in VA though, so isn't it already?
Aug 15th 2016
I dunno if it's a plot
Aug 15th 2016
tyson's corner would be easier for all the fans in VA to get to.
Aug 15th 2016
Fed Ex used to be more accesible
Aug 15th 2016
They're going to whoever gives them the best tax breaks
Aug 15th 2016
Wouldn't doubt it
Aug 15th 2016
Snyder is slick, prob trying to woo Muriel off the books.
Aug 15th 2016
      Hell with all the new residents...
Aug 15th 2016
Cool. The Ravens can have MD to themselves.
Aug 15th 2016

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Mon Aug-15-16 11:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "FedEx Field has to be the worst stadium in the NFL "
In response to Reply # 0

(that's not in California, excluding the 9ers)
Actually they might be tied with Jacksonville's Everbank Stadium, there are probably 20 High Schools in Texas with better facilities.

Sleepy
Charter member
6947 posts
Mon Aug-15-16 11:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "What's wrong with Everbank?"
In response to Reply # 1

I think it's a really good stadium.

I haven't been since they put in the pool and the huge screen, but I've enjoyed Everbank

You're such pests...now, what is it you want? In your depths of your ignorance, what is it you want? Well, whatever it is you want, I can't deliver because I just don't see it. - Orson Welles

Never Tired, Always Sleepy

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Mon Aug-15-16 01:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
16. "I'll take that back about the Jags, they're renovating & it's been 10 ye..."
In response to Reply # 4

since I've been, but the troth toilets they had, the bench seating, the very generic and basic layout of the entire place. Every wall, even in the interior practice facility and locker room, was made of unfinished concrete block, maybe some were painted. It felt like a community rec center.

_explain555
Member since Oct 15th 2009
1412 posts
Mon Aug-15-16 12:16 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "LOL damn"
In response to Reply # 1

>there are probably 20 High Schools in Texas with
>better facilities.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Aug-15-16 12:28 PM

11. "only b/c the dome in STL has no team this season. lol"
In response to Reply # 1

fuck you.

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Mon Aug-15-16 01:10 PM

15. "FedEx Field is like the Spirit Airlines of Stadiums"
In response to Reply # 11

While EdJones Dome is the TWA...get it.

RaphaelSoulLee
Member since May 21st 2003
3765 posts
Mon Aug-15-16 11:29 AM

2. "RE: hilldawg's boy McAuliffe tryna move da redskins to bougie VA"
In response to Reply # 0

I'on't like it at all!

It takes all kinds to make up a world, son. -My pops

I just live for the comments -Da wiz

Walk On
Member since Apr 04th 2005
8332 posts
Mon Aug-15-16 11:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "DC Native, former Redskins sucker... take em, fuck em."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- #LoveCitees

message brought to you by...

www.onustees.com

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79554 posts
Mon Aug-15-16 11:55 AM

5. "it won't change how bad they suck"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Mon Aug-15-16 12:26 PM

10. "but, but, but... we're getting better!"
In response to Reply # 5

haha. i know, but i have to tell myself that. worried as shit about our run game this year.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Aug-15-16 12:08 PM

6. "Good. That way VA can finally have a team!"
In response to Reply # 0

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Mon Aug-15-16 01:37 PM

19. "The practice facilities are in VA though, so isn't it already?"
In response to Reply # 6

Gangsta Mittens
Member since Sep 03rd 2005
15594 posts
Mon Aug-15-16 12:17 PM

8. "I dunno if it's a plot"
In response to Reply # 0

but it could limit the folks that are willing to make the hike.

I hope they don't leave... that's my team... I wish they would move back into the city. But Fed Ex does suck... badly. Tix are already pretty expensive. I can't imagine what's going to happen when there's a new stadium. Either way i don't see us letting go of our tickets... just gotta leave out that much earlier.

---

www.gangstamittens.com

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Mon Aug-15-16 12:25 PM

9. "tyson's corner would be easier for all the fans in VA to get to."
In response to Reply # 8
Mon Aug-15-16 12:29 PM by KiloMcG

fedex isn't all that accessible from my experience. not sure where you're coming from, but it seems this would probably help more fans than it hurt. depending on parking and shit, of course.

*edit* ok i read the whole article now. it would be a bit farther out than tyson's corner, it seems.

Gangsta Mittens
15594 posts
Mon Aug-15-16 12:52 PM

13. "Fed Ex used to be more accesible"
In response to Reply # 9

They used to run the buses from the metro to the stadium. When they cut that and made it so you had to walk from the metro it became a huge hassle. VA fans have no issue coming into the city for Nats and Wizards games. But I dunno if the DC football team should be catering to its VA fans. There are plenty of fans in the city and in southern MD that would affected by such a move. Additionally, Tysons isn't universally accessible to all folks in VA.

I'm not coming from anywhere any more lol I live in Oakland now. When I make trips there for games i'll go wherever, but most of my family are season ticket holders (some living in VA now) and none of them think this would be a good move.

---

www.gangstamittens.com

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10884 posts
Mon Aug-15-16 12:36 PM

12. "They're going to whoever gives them the best tax breaks"
In response to Reply # 8

And my bet is they'll implement personal seat licenses (PSL's) too, so get ready to PAY for the opportunity to PAY for season tickets.

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

Gangsta Mittens
15594 posts
Mon Aug-15-16 12:55 PM

14. "Wouldn't doubt it"
In response to Reply # 12

i also think DC is going to lose out because of the hostile environment surrounding the name.

---

www.gangstamittens.com

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Mon Aug-15-16 01:24 PM

17. "Snyder is slick, prob trying to woo Muriel off the books."
In response to Reply # 8

Get them back to RFK with an expensive publicly financed renovation, as his concession for changing the name.

Gangsta Mittens
15594 posts
Mon Aug-15-16 01:33 PM

18. "Hell with all the new residents..."
In response to Reply # 17

screw it, make the public pay for it. It can be a gentrification tax...

---

www.gangstamittens.com

Overqualified
Member since May 03rd 2006
4543 posts
Mon Aug-15-16 02:07 PM

20. "Cool. The Ravens can have MD to themselves."
In response to Reply # 0

But I do find the business of stadiums interesting though - especially in the NFL. Some questions stand out to me though:

1. Isn't FedEx pretty much paid for since JKC did it himself before he died? Weird that Snyder would want to take on debt (even with substantial public financing) to move.

2. Also as the league's largest stadium and only 20 years old, its going to leave a huge hole in Raljohn or Landover or whatever once it becomes vacant. Is anyone in PG trying to thwart the move?

3. Wasn't Snyder's dream to go back to DC, razing RFK for a rebuild? Is the name really the hurdle to a move back to the District or is it the changes to the neighborhood in the time the team has been gone?

Streets won't let me chill.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13057243 Previous topic | Next topic