Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13056491

Subject: "Any plant care experts in here? Trying to solve my umbrella plant " Previous topic | Next topic
Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Fri Aug-12-16 07:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Any plant care experts in here? Trying to solve my umbrella plant "

My umbrella plant (a gold capella to be specific) has been dropping leaves like madness over the past month or so, I got this thing sometime at the start of summer.

I've tried more light, less light, more water, less water, can't figure it out.

Currently I'm back to my original treatment of it, watering once a week, keeping it in a corner with low filtered sunlight.

Nothing has worked.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
http://www.ourhouseplants.com/plants/umbrella-plant-schefflera
Aug 12th 2016
Thanks...can't find my answers though
Aug 12th 2016
what's the temperature in the room?..
Aug 12th 2016
Not sure exact temp, but very warm. High 80s?
Aug 12th 2016
Never heard 'umbrella plant' but they're scheffleras?
Aug 12th 2016
Yeah they're scheffleras. The variegated green/yellow kind.
Aug 12th 2016
Are the leave turning yellow first? How's the soil drainage?
Aug 12th 2016
Well it's a gold capella, which means
Aug 12th 2016

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79349 posts
Fri Aug-12-16 07:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "http://www.ourhouseplants.com/plants/umbrella-plant-schefflera"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.ourhouseplants.com/plants/umbrella-plant-schefflera

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Fri Aug-12-16 07:32 PM

8. "Thanks...can't find my answers though"
In response to Reply # 1

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Fri Aug-12-16 07:52 AM

2. "what's the temperature in the room?.."
In response to Reply # 0

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Fri Aug-12-16 07:20 PM

5. "Not sure exact temp, but very warm. High 80s?"
In response to Reply # 2

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Fri Aug-12-16 09:43 AM

3. "Never heard 'umbrella plant' but they're scheffleras?"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't have any but my folks have had two for as long as I remember and they don't do shit with them other than put 'em outside in the late spring and bring 'em in mid-fall. I know in summer they keep one of them in a spot where the hose doesn't even reach.

Stick it outside somewhere, filtered light. If it's in a plastic pot, sink the pot in the ground a bit. Bring the plant indoors in the mid-fall, when temperatures get down to 50 or so at night.

It will lose the lower branches as a regular part of growing - it does want to be more of a shrub or small tree - and if I'm not mistaken they can put on a pretty good bit of growth in a year. So maybe what you're seeing is normal.

Other thing you might want to do is pull it out of the pot and check the roots, make sure it's not super root bound as it grows.

As I understand it, they don't need much of anything - they take poor soil, drought conditions, a variety of light conditions, whatever. If you leave it indoors, the tried and true tactic of watering it thoroughly when it's dry, then waiting until it is dry again (dry, not sort-of-dry or I-can't-really-tell-if-it's-dry) before watering thoroughly again. Most houseplants don't like to be constantly wet, and a lot of houseplant owners get into trouble because they think of watering the plants as a function of time instead of a function of how wet or dry the plant is. Even with the variabilities of soil, light, pot size, how rootbound it might be, etc., very few houseplants need to be watered every day.

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Fri Aug-12-16 07:31 PM

7. "Yeah they're scheffleras. The variegated green/yellow kind."
In response to Reply # 3

I've generally been watering them once a week, but I like how you described dry, because I'm not sure sometimes whether it's truly dry or not.

We live in an apartment where there's really no good place to put it outside.

The pot has draining holes, and its never sitting in a puddle of water (I actually set it up to sit on a 2-foot high iron grid-like platform with a pan on the floor to catch any drippings.)

Interesting note: Lately most of the yellow spots have been fading to green like the rest of the leaf.

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13546 posts
Fri Aug-12-16 12:08 PM

4. "Are the leave turning yellow first? How's the soil drainage?"
In response to Reply # 0

Have you fertilized your plant? And by fertilizer, I mean something other than chemicals (Miracle Grow, etc). That stuff will pollute your soil over time.

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Fri Aug-12-16 07:23 PM

6. "Well it's a gold capella, which means"
In response to Reply # 4

The leaves are always yellow in spots.

I've never fertilized it. Been watering on avg once a week. Leaves are just falling like crazy. Often they go brown first, but sometimes they look great and just fall off anyway.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13056491 Previous topic | Next topic